The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Fog on the Barrow Downs

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 20 2015, 5:13pm

Post #1 of 5 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Fog on the Barrow Downs Can't Post

Ive always wondered if this chapter in the book is though enjoyable the least needed in the entire LOTR story.

Some would say In the house of Tom Bombadil is, but i love that chapter for many reasons and though not important for the story as a whole provides a welcome stopping point for the company, explores ancient myth ideas,presents something magical, a great character and a wider perspective on middle earth and becuase FOG over the DOwns comes after this it feels like too much of a sidetrack.

granted that chapter provides one very important thing, in the barrow blade to kill the witchking, but that could easily be incorporated into the story elsewhere, like at lothlorien or in rivendell.

so what is the point of the barrow downs chapter? i feel that the 'safe house' of bombadils is covered in the previous chapter, and the nazgul would be put of the scent, so although the barrows provide a little respite from them, that has already been achieved. then we get the barrowights, the unconcious hobbits, the second rescue from tom, it all feels like a repeat of previous story points.

can someone with greater insight explain the significance of the chapter , or is it just a nice extra bit of story to enjoy.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 6:20pm

Post #2 of 5 (1779 views)
Shortcut
We just recently discussed this chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

Fog on the Barrow-downs hosted by DanielLB

in the LOTR read through. Have a look. Cool

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 22 2015, 11:44am

Post #3 of 5 (1678 views)
Shortcut
..and the read-through resumes soon (29 March) , and everyone is welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

here's the schedule
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=841531#841531

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 1:14am

Post #4 of 5 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I can't believe we pick up again next week. [In reply to] Can't Post

And anyone interested in leading a chapter in the second half of Book II - the Leader Phishing Post will go up in a few weeks. Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 3:52pm

Post #5 of 5 (1561 views)
Shortcut
A thought [In reply to] Can't Post

- and maybe an UUT...

Perhaps Tolkien was following the tradition of older epic tales? Though the Barrow Downs is placed chronologically in the overall narrative, it seems a digression of the sort often found in stories of knights errant. Yes, maybe he was playing with the structure of his novel, harkening to a time before such structure was so firmly established?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.