The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BotFA DVD Disc Quality?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 6:50pm

Post #26 of 48 (2788 views)
Shortcut
And compared to modern cinema, 'From Here to Eternity' is positively prudish. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But in the interests of accuracy, that classic scene in From Here to Eternity is not in the gutter, it's on the beach.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 27 2015, 6:56pm

Post #27 of 48 (2786 views)
Shortcut
Let's not mention the final scene in North By Northwest (1959) / [In reply to] Can't Post

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 7:01pm

Post #28 of 48 (2778 views)
Shortcut
Hah! Like Alfrid, Mr. H. showing a bit of (Freudian) slip there. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's not mention the final scene in North By Northwest (1959)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 27 2015, 7:15pm

Post #29 of 48 (2782 views)
Shortcut
And it was only after a certain age... [In reply to] Can't Post

....that I realized why Leonard was so jealous of Eve Kendall's relationship with Vandamm.

Lots of hidden subtexts in those old movies!

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 7:37pm

Post #30 of 48 (2761 views)
Shortcut
'A Certain Age' ... such delicious Victorian flavor to that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 27 2015, 9:30pm

Post #31 of 48 (2739 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit was mastered in 2k... [In reply to] Can't Post

So 4k disks would make little to no difference.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 27 2015, 9:33pm

Post #32 of 48 (2740 views)
Shortcut
4K BluRay is a Disc? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, 4K BluRay will just be higher resolution discs? Would you think that it is advisable to purchase LotR and The Hobbit on BluRay now?

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 27 2015, 9:52pm

Post #33 of 48 (2729 views)
Shortcut
I would say yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

As they can't make 4k copies of The Hobbit and LotR without redoing all the VFX, which is vey unlikely.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 27 2015, 9:55pm

Post #34 of 48 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Thank you SO much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really appreciate your opinion. It would not be worth buying something if in a year or two, they are re-released in a format better suited to the original film. If it will just be another case of upconverting to a new format, then I don't think we'll ever get away from that. The home video market will never stay long with one format, I think.

What was your opinion of the LotR extended editions on BluRay, as opposed to the original DVDs?

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 27 2015, 10:50pm

Post #35 of 48 (2725 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

yea that was my bad sorry about that lol

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 12:38am

Post #36 of 48 (2691 views)
Shortcut
I'll admit I don't have either of them on Blu Ray... [In reply to] Can't Post

..But we're looking to buy a blu ray player soon, so I've done a bit of research. The LotR films were, I think, rescanned from the original film cinema reels, so should have been fine on BluRay. The green tint, at least on the iTunes version, I can see, but only slightly more than I can see it in the Hobbit films (especially AUJ).

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 28 2015, 2:56am

Post #37 of 48 (2687 views)
Shortcut
I can't really say if you should get Blu-ray or wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd probably say go for the Blu-ray for now. They look and sound amazing.

But yes, 4K Blu-ray (officially called 'UHD Blu-ray') are discs that will be released this November - possibly earlier. Not much is known about them at this point. They will require brand new disc players - no-one knows whether these players will play DVDs, but they'll probably play standard Blu-rays - and they will only work on 4K TVs. So it's all a very expensive upgrade and will take a few years to become affordable.

You then have to consider when will The Hobbit and LotR be released on this format? Although I'd imagine they're probably high priority early releases, due to their popularity, they may take some time to remaster the films and get the best out of them. Another factor is the possibility that The Hobbit will be in 48fps/HFR on UHD Blu-ray. Anything's possible at the moment, we'll have to wait and see.

As Bofur said, The Hobbit & LotR, as well as almost any movie ever made, are finished in 2K (which is just a tiny bit above Blu-ray and way below 4K). But this doesn't mean an upscale isn't possible and it also doesn't mean there won't be a big difference. In cinemas The Hobbit was up-scaled to much more than 4K in order to fit IMAX screens, so likely the IMAX master will be scanned for the UHD disc, no re-rendering necessary - and although all the enhancements are done digitally they do improve the overall look of the image (as you will have noticed if you've been to an IMAX). On top of the added resolution UHD Blu-rays will also have more colours and Dolby Atmos surround sound. So overall, it's a better experience. But a hugely expensive one and will likely remain so for a long time.

So I suppose you just have to ask are you happy with the DVDs for a few years until your TV breaks and you can upgrade to 4K, or do you want to see these films in better quality as soon as possible? An upgrade to Blu-ray isn't all that expensive (providing you already own a HD TV), but it does mean you'll end up re-purchasing your favourite films to see them in HD. However, the experience is certainly worth the expense.

With Blu-ray you'll be getting very close to pixel-for-pixel exactly as the director intended you to see it. With UHD you'll be going above and beyond that by enhancing the original image.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Mar 28 2015, 3:00am)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 12:33pm

Post #38 of 48 (2659 views)
Shortcut
BluRay Sounds Like a Good Option . . . Player Suggestions? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, AshNazg and Bofur01!

I really appreciate all of your fabulous info and help. This is making me feel much better. My Mom and I have been trying to go through online sites and reviews to figure the BluRay thing out, and it can get so confusing. We do have a television that can play BluRay. 4K doesn't sound like something we would go to in the near future, since we are really happy with our television and hoping not to replace it for a long while yet. Also, we really only watch LotR and The Hobbit as far as High-Def films, so it seems like BluRay would be satisfactory, since it will show the films as they were filmed.

All that said, I'd like to ask for a little more advice. :) We have been thinking to buy a player and the BluRay discs for a family Christmas Present, but we'd be just as happy to buy them sooner! Do any of you have suggestions as far as a BluRay player? Looking online, it is pretty impossible to find one that gets good reviews. We can't afford an Oppo, which sounds like the best. Mom read a year or two ago that PS3 was a good player. Is that something worth looking for? We're not in a terrible rush to get the player, so we can afford to look around and price shop, but we don't know what to look at. We would like to keep it under $250.00. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 2:24pm

Post #39 of 48 (2654 views)
Shortcut
I just watched my Amazon dvd copy [In reply to] Can't Post

I FINALLY got it in the mail Friday and watched it almost immediately... hand's shaking!

The clarity and colouring of the image were spot-on great and the sound was fantastic! I saw this at the theatre more than a few times *kaff*, and I found this copy from Amazon to be perfect.

You have gotten (as others have said) a bad copy. If you take it back to the store, they should let you make an even exchange with no issues. Most stores will frown upon a refund for an open movie... so go prepared to exchange and hope for the best.

It's too bad that after all this waiting you have to BATTLE with the Five Armies DVD!

Hang in there!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 2:37pm

Post #40 of 48 (2653 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Has a simple DVD external Player [In reply to] Can't Post

One that came with a Pouch
so a little kid could
hang it on the back of a Car seat.

That way, can be watching it, and surfing the Internet
@ the same time.

Well, watched Bo5A as it was packaged, the first time.
BUT then under "Settings"
BOOSTED the Hue & Saturation...AND BOY did it
BRIGHTEN UP the picture!

Bom likes even better that way.
Try it, you might like it , TOO.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Mar 28 2015, 2:40pm)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 2:48pm

Post #41 of 48 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Replacement DVD is Already on the Way! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. We bought the disc on Amazon, so reporting it as defective was no problem. A replacement is already on the way, and I'll be sure to post if we notice a difference. Thanks!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 3:25pm

Post #42 of 48 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Started a New Thread for Recommendations for a BluRay Player [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! I just wanted to say that I've started a new thread asking for recommendations for a BluRay player. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate responses over here: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=846437;#846437

Thanks very much!
Sarah

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 3:29pm

Post #43 of 48 (2626 views)
Shortcut
ooooo! I will!! :D THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 28 2015, 5:59pm

Post #44 of 48 (2617 views)
Shortcut
Don't assume more expensive is better. [In reply to] Can't Post

If all you want is a simple *put the disc in, watch the film* with no complications then a cheap player will do that fine. A more expensive player might upscale DVDs better and home theaters will give you surround sound, which can be great if you have the room for it and the spare time to set it up. Players do sometimes require software updates, which means connecting it to the internet every so-often. So expensive sets sometimes have wifi built in, which can be useful.

One suggestion is looking for players that are made by the same manufacturer as your TV. Some manufacturers, such as Panasonic, have links that allow you to control the player and TV with the same remote, which makes life much easier.

PS3 is a no-brainer if there are video gamers in your house. PS4 and Xbox One also play Blu-rays, but are obviously more expensive. For the price these the best players you can get, when considering all the neat things they can do.

If you have no interest in video games, PS3 is still a great player (and worth looking into) but for the price you could probably get something just as good, possibly with surround sound or something.

It's really up to you, it's difficult to make a bad decision here - because they're all really similar. Just make sure you don't get one that's going to break in a month and you should be fine.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 6:09pm

Post #45 of 48 (2608 views)
Shortcut
We do have surround sound, and our TV is Panasonic . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Thanks to everybody who is responding to this. We do have surround sound (with Optical cable hook-up), and our television is Panasonic. We don't play video games, so if that is the real bonus to the PS3, then I don't think that is for us. We also don't have WIFI, so it wouldn't matter on that issue.

Thanks for the tip about matching the player to the type of television. That's a good point! We're going through some reviews on CNET at the moment, so I appreciate all the info coming in. :)

Regards,
Sarah

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Mar 30 2015, 1:07am

Post #46 of 48 (2449 views)
Shortcut
We got ours from Amazon here as well [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie was great, but it might just be that I'm watching it on a laptop that the color seems a bit off, but not noticeable. The only thing that was noticeable is when you turn on the movie, the preview playing as you go through the menu is extremely dark. Especially in shots like Gundabad and Bilbo looking at Thorin, it looked like some sort of layer was put over the video.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

priell3
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 5:16pm

Post #47 of 48 (2320 views)
Shortcut
My DVD is from Amazon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no problem to report.

I have a Blu-ray player, I just didn't want to lay out the extra money for that version.

MikeP

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 14 2015, 4:06pm

Post #48 of 48 (2130 views)
Shortcut
Blu-Ray Disc and Player Arrived. Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you SO much to everybody who posted in response to this thread. We bought a Blu-Ray player on Amazon (Panasonic DMP-BDT230), and it arrived, along with the Blu-Ray disc of "Five Armies", last week. My sister got the player all hooked up, and we watched all three Hobbit films over the weekend on Blu-Ray. It was SO wonderful! The colors were so vivid, the movement was so fluid, and the detail was amazing. I really recommend the Blu-Ray to anyone thinking of changing. If you want to see every little costume detail, etc., then this is just what you need.

As far as "The Battle of the Five Armies", in particular, we returned our original DVD and got the Blu-Ray pack. The Blu-Ray looks as fabulous as the movie did at the theater. You can see everything. As a test, we put the DVD that came with the Blu-Ray into our DVD player and tried it. Of course, it wasn't the Blu-Ray, but this second DVD was better than the first one that we had. It did not have the lack of color and over-saturated black areas. That must have been a bad disc.

We were really pleased that the Blu-Ray disc handled the "panning" shots so smoothly. It doesn't give you the same "dizzy" feelings like the DVD. Also, the digital effects look so much more realistic on the Blu-Ray. I had expected Azog and Smaug to look more "digital" in the higher resolution. They looked less digital!

Thanks to everyone who answered this post! My whole family is just thrilled with the Blu-Ray! We've ordered the LotR EE Blu-Ray discs, so we're looking forward to their arrival!
Sarah

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.