**Gathering Geeky Observations Here!**
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 26 2015, 9:16am

Post #1 of 83 (2743 views)
Shortcut
**Gathering Geeky Observations Here!** Can't Post

Now that (most of us) have our BotFA in our very own machines and can PAUSE, REWIND, PASUSE, REWIND to our hearts' content, we can make some new discoveries!

So bring on your new Geeky Observations and I'll post an updated list in a week or so!!

FINALLY! The DVD!!! *FIST IN THE AIR*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 4:28pm

Post #2 of 83 (2461 views)
Shortcut
I observe [In reply to] Can't Post

that you are my favourite geek, Gramma. Cool

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2015, 5:50pm

Post #3 of 83 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Starling stole mine. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 6:38pm

Post #4 of 83 (2408 views)
Shortcut
Well I could be wrong, but [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ when the Dwarves first get to Rivendell, they are surrounded by Elrond's horsemen. Thorin calls out some command, kind of sounds like "Egee Baga" to me. I'm pretty sure the Iron Hills Dwarves say the same thing while lining up their shields - maybe somebody can clarify? That's one of my favorite scenes, until the Elves ruin it by jumping over them all graceful and athletically. TMCGI, IMO.Mad

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 6:54pm

Post #5 of 83 (2371 views)
Shortcut
This! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 83 (2360 views)
Shortcut
As so often happens, I find myself agreeing with the clever Bird. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 26 2015, 7:13pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 7:25pm

Post #7 of 83 (2347 views)
Shortcut
And the fox, and the - er - tree! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 7:56pm

Post #8 of 83 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we have a very complex joke started.. [In reply to] Can't Post

A bird, a fox, an explorer and a mouse all carry a tree into a bar...Laugh

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 26 2015, 7:57pm

Post #9 of 83 (2345 views)
Shortcut
According to the fan transcript, the phrase is [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ifridî bekâr!" and means "Ready weapons!".

(Bekar, anyway, is the same word as in the war cry "Du Bekar" that seems Thorin's favorite.)

With the Elves, I know what the filmmakers were going for, and it worked well enough for me. We are supposed to be in doubt as to whether Thranduil will join the fight, and this is the happy surprise moment when we feel like cheering because we see that indeed, he will. We being generic audience members who had have not read the book some 20 times in the past 40 years, that is. Wink

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Mar 26 2015, 8:00pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 8:52pm

Post #10 of 83 (2291 views)
Shortcut
I'll give a cookie to whoever is bold enough to finish that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 9:00pm

Post #11 of 83 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Ifridî bekâr!" and means "Ready weapons!".

(Bekar, anyway, is the same word as in the war cry "Du Bekar" that seems Thorin's favorite.)

With the Elves, I know what the filmmakers were going for, and it worked well enough for me. We are supposed to be in doubt as to whether Thranduil will join the fight, and this is the happy surprise moment when we feel like cheering because we see that indeed, he will. We being generic audience members who had have not read the book some 20 times in the past 40 years, that is. Wink

So what does "Bekar" mean - I thought "Du Bekar" meant "To arms", or something like that - so Bekar means arms or weapons? Yeah, I'm gettin' my Geek on here, sort of like those Trekkies that speak KlingonBlush

About the Elves, I felt like they were showing up the Dwarves in that scene, kind of stealing their thunder - but alot of us non-book fans of a certain King Under the Mountain feel that PJ sidelined the Dwarves in favor of the Elves, particularly a certain Prince of Murkwood. But you are probably correct, and I'm maybe being a little sensitive - after all, I know who got the most lines!

Book-fans tend to think a certain Hobbit got sidelined in his own movie - all about perspective, I guess.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:11pm

Post #12 of 83 (2283 views)
Shortcut
A bird, a fox, an explorer and a mouse all carry a tree into a bar. [In reply to] Can't Post

The bartender stares for a minute and says, I don't get it.

OR
A bird, a fox, an explorer and a mouse all carry a tree into a bar. The bartender points to a sign that says NO GEEKS.
"We'll leave," said the tree sadly.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 26 2015, 9:16pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:26pm

Post #13 of 83 (2264 views)
Shortcut
As promised... [In reply to] Can't Post

Two jokes, two cookies. Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 83 (2261 views)
Shortcut
Thanks BF! They were a bit weak...I leave (ha!) the door open for others... [In reply to] Can't Post

And now that we have COMPLETELY jacked Gramma's thread, I will watch the BluRay and try to observe something useful. Laugh (*goes off to BluRay player laughing to self about jokes involving starlings and brandy...*)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 26 2015, 9:31pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:39pm

Post #15 of 83 (2249 views)
Shortcut
We have, haven't we? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry 'bout that, gramma! Blush Well, in my defense, I need to spend my time *somehow* until I too get my hands on one. Angelic Ah, April can't come soon enough!

Kim
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 9:48pm

Post #16 of 83 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Well, you certainly have every right to branch out on this thread // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:56pm

Post #17 of 83 (2239 views)
Shortcut
The bell tower and the Windlance (in theory) [In reply to] Can't Post

The Bell Tower *does* appear on the landscape in the left of the frame. The Windlance is on top of the Master's home, so in that opening shot it is ground zero for it: I think I see that Smaug misses it on his first pass. It looks like it is still standing as he flies up to turn around.

On the flaming pass we see right after the Master is choked by Bard's rope - there, it *looks like* the Windlance is set on fire, left and low screen, panning across to the right as Smaug flies by. And I don't think I see it after that anymore; so if we get an EE scene of its destruction maybe it will be there - and Bard can see it first thing, right after he escapes the jail (or just a quick pan as he looks around after busting through the roof?)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 26 2015, 10:08pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 9:57pm

Post #18 of 83 (2229 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness Gramma is a good apple...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2015, 10:08pm

Post #19 of 83 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Oak-ay, oak-ay, enough with the jokes. // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 10:28pm

Post #20 of 83 (2203 views)
Shortcut
But if we can't make jokes, we might pine away // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 10:36pm

Post #21 of 83 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Willow stop with these puns already! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 10:44pm

Post #22 of 83 (2196 views)
Shortcut
Now now BlackFox, don't get your fir all ruffled // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 11:13pm

Post #23 of 83 (2189 views)
Shortcut
Tree and fruit puns?! Alas, I dispear... // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 11:35pm

Post #24 of 83 (2175 views)
Shortcut
It's a larch a minute round here! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2015, 11:38pm

Post #25 of 83 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm sycamore puns. We needle something else to talk about. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.