The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Battle of the Five Armies: Trailer Vs Bluray. Changes & Outtakes

mukankakuna

Mar 26 2015, 9:02am

Post #1 of 17 (2676 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of the Five Armies: Trailer Vs Bluray. Changes & Outtakes Can't Post

Hi,
as I did before here is the third and last video (unless the extended version have enough material) showcasing the differences between the trailers and the bluray release (the theatrical cut) of the "The Battle of the Five Armies".

At first I didn't know for sure if I was going to do it because I thought it wasn't to have enough changes. Well, at the end it has indeed a large number of changes, not as much as the second movie but close.

I also have to say that I'm not quite sure about some matches I have done and they may be wrong. We will find out when the extended edition come out.

Otherwise, it shows how much work they put into it. There are a lot of tiny changes from CGI to color grading to alternate, extended and unused takes.

I hope you find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/Kq0V-tOsWrM

Smiley face

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 12:32pm

Post #2 of 17 (2464 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at the shots from the negotiation between Bard, Thorin, Thranduil and Gandalf, some of the robot-Elven-army may have been a result of the cutting of a more violent showdown between Dwarves and Men/Elves.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 1:49pm

Post #3 of 17 (2408 views)
Shortcut
I was actually waiting for this, I loved the last two! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much. Really interesting and I love the music.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 17 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for compiling this! Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 17 (2283 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 4:23pm

Post #6 of 17 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fascinating to see how much they do change.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 4:26pm

Post #7 of 17 (2262 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this - I want to study it later on when I have time [In reply to] Can't Post

to really compare the color changes. The music makes it quite enjoyable BTW. Lovely.

And, Welcome to TORn, Mukankakuna! Smile

tsmith675
Gondor

Mar 26 2015, 6:50pm

Post #8 of 17 (2174 views)
Shortcut
I prefer a lot of the trailer shots. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some are better in the finished film, but a lot of them look better to me in the trailer. Thanks for doing this!

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 7:29pm

Post #9 of 17 (2144 views)
Shortcut
I think I liked more of the finished film ones.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... though I wasn't counting. What I'd really like to know is what the thought process was behind the changes. Generall the finished film seemed to have slightly quieter colours. I noticed Legolas looked prettier in a couple of his changes. And sometimes the landscape in the background changed.

mukankakuna

Mar 27 2015, 10:05am

Post #10 of 17 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Thank you guys... [In reply to] Can't Post

for your kind words.

I also prefer the color of the trailers. I think they tweaked it too much, both the color and the illumination, in this last film and it looks kind of artificial. And I know it's intended. They wanted it to look more like a fantasy world but at the end it looks like, especially the final part, as a video game.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 27 2015, 1:08pm

Post #11 of 17 (1824 views)
Shortcut
The film [In reply to] Can't Post

the color grading they used I prefer in the final film. The rest are little changes had I not seen this I wouldn't have noticed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Can I just say how much I hate when people compare the looks to a video game. As someone who plays all the time on the best consoles we've seen there isn't anything about these movies that looks like a video game. Sorry for the mini-rant. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Mar 27 2015, 1:10pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 2:27pm

Post #12 of 17 (1795 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Elessar.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't play video games myself but I've seen the games my nephew plays and I've also seen plenty of trailers. So far I haven't seen anything that comes even close to the look or production standard of these films. So like you, I'd say that the films don't look like anything like a video game. I think it's the other way round - video games try to imitate films - but they haven't made it yet!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 2:28pm

Post #13 of 17 (1798 views)
Shortcut
You have provided a Great Service... [In reply to] Can't Post

This Shows a Bone-Chilling WINTER Battle...

As a Life-Long Skier & lived in the Rocky Mountains
for over 20 years, the Winter light does mute the Colors,
& Takes much of Full Palette away,
especially during the Morning & Evening hours.

This Winter Battle does distinguish this Battle
From "The Battle of the Last Alliance"
"Helm's Deep" & "Pellennor Fields"

The Four BIG Battles
for the Future of
MiddleEARTH..

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 27 2015, 2:57pm

Post #14 of 17 (1780 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think at this point video games are trying to capture the look of films. They're getting closer all the time but not quite yet. I don't mean for the OP feel like I was being a jerk. It's just a comment that rubs me the wrong way.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Mar 27 2015, 2:58pm)

mukankakuna

Mar 28 2015, 8:37am

Post #15 of 17 (1620 views)
Shortcut
The video gamish look is due the illumination [In reply to] Can't Post

They tried to mimic the light of a sunset and this is very hard thing to do (in all movies not just in this one). They also added a bit of blooming effect. The result is an artificial layer put on the top of the image that make it looks, as i said, kind of a video game.
Some scenes from the trailers and the released cut can be compared and the ones from the trailers look more natural because they haven't that layer applied.

By the way, I'm referring mostly about the final part of the movie.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 2:42pm

Post #16 of 17 (1559 views)
Shortcut
Wow... just WOW! THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Dipling
Lorien

Apr 2 2015, 10:34am

Post #17 of 17 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Great. [In reply to] Can't Post

What i miss are some details in the finished product.
As in DOS trailer, when Legolas is looking into the forest, where you can see leaves falling in front of the elven gate. Which is a nice detail of reality - so was in council of Elrond. In finished DOS movie there are no leaves falling.

In The Desolation of Smaug: Changes & Outtakes from minut 9:00 on.

(This post was edited by Dipling on Apr 2 2015, 10:37am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.