The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
movie location request

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 24 2015, 1:04am

Post #1 of 6 (1518 views)
Shortcut
movie location request Can't Post

Is it possible that someone can help me out and tell me what real life location was usied in one of the films scenes.

in FOTR when gandalf rides into isengard, what real life NZ location is it? there is one specific scene just before gandalf actually enters the ring of isengard, where he is approaching, quite a wide shot, with lovely mountains and scenery.

just wondering where this was, if they were just background plates from somewhere a mixture or if the whole location is real (except orthanc obvs)

thankyou very much!

on a sidenote Peter jacksons cameo character on imdb is called albert dreary? is that an official name?

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Mar 24 2015, 1:12am)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 6 (1482 views)
Shortcut
It's a real place [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene was shot in a park area just outside Wellington, not far from the quarry where Helm's Deep was built. I'll have to let someone else tell you the name of the park, though. It's been several years since I was there and the details have escaped me, although not the pleasure of seeing the place Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:00pm

Post #3 of 6 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Page 68 of Ian Brodie's LOTR Location Guide Book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Harcourt Park in Upper Hutt
many people visit it since it was used for lots of shots

GPS:... S41 degrees 06.069' - E 175degrees .05644

You might want to Buy IAN's two books
IF you put in these co-ordinates in Google EARTH
you can fly there.

Bomby has spent many hours Flying from Location to Location
using Ian's WONDERFUL Books
& GoggleEARTH.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 24 2015, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 6 (1472 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

according to the map there are no mountains in this area, and the clip i mentioned clearly has lovely big mountains. As mentioned it is the scene before gandalf rides into orthanc, i think the park was just used for that scene, not the expansive panoramic on the previous shot.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 25 2015, 7:48am

Post #5 of 6 (1411 views)
Shortcut
It's a mish mash [In reply to] Can't Post

as are lots of parts of these movies. All real places in NZ, but mixed together. The park is real, the mountains are real, but they have been combined.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 4:11pm

Post #6 of 6 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Harcout Park [In reply to] Can't Post

was where the scene of Gandalf and Saruman strolling in the gardens of Orthanc was shot. The wide shot of Gandalf riding at a gallop toward Isengard with a bunch of small trees behind him is in Paradise. There are some mountains there, but the most impressive big ones were added in via CGI. Still, it's a lovely spot to visit. To my way of thinking, it's one of the locations that looks most like the shot in the film.

Kristin

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.