Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Can you remember the first time you saw this?

Scalpy
Bree

Mar 24 2015, 12:53am

Post #1 of 22 (5863 views)
Shortcut
Can you remember the first time you saw this? Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pki6jbSbXIY
  • What did you think?
  • Did it meet your expectations?
  • What didn't you like about it? (I remember a lot of people not liking the whole Frodo jumping onto the barge scene)
  • Have your memories been tarnished/enhanced after the Hobbit films?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2015, 1:34am

Post #2 of 22 (5795 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw this was 30 seconds ago.

Since it is a trailer for one of my favorite films of all time, I liked it, it brought back nice memories of the movie I enjoy and the characters I love. I am not overfond of the music in it, but this is doubtless because my brain is expecting to hear Howard Shore with these images.

The trailer does remind me what a leap in special effects Weta have made since those times. When I watch an actual LotR movie I notice it less because of the story and characters but seeing the trailer, with short snippets that do not engage me to the same degree as a film, does drive home the superiority in appearance of the Hobbit films (made more recently with more advanced technology).

It seems to me that my younger self, had it seen this trailer, would have been blown away by it, and very eager to see the film for which it was an advertisement. Instead my younger self had no idea this was coming, and discovered it existed in a movie review in a newspaper. (And was still very eager to see it, because Lord of the Rings! albeit nervous that some guy from New Zealand she had never heard of had made this film and it might not be all that good).

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 9:07am

Post #3 of 22 (5760 views)
Shortcut
Yes - just now! [In reply to] Can't Post

And apart from enjoying it the thing that struck me most was a glimpse of Legolas using his bow in a woodland which I'm sure was the way into Lorien. Never saw that in the film!

I never saw a trailer. I found out about the films from the tie-in books which appeared in the shops some weeks before the film. What I didn't like from the books was the idea of Arwen replacing Glorfindel and the invention of someone called Lurtz... I've come a long way since then.

But tell me, how could anyone's memories of the LotR films be 'tarnished' by The Hobbit? That's illogical. Love The Hobbit or hate it, or anything in between, the first trilogy stands unchanged. Whatever anyone thought of it before presumably that's what they still think, and will go on thinking.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Mar 24 2015, 9:09am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 2:55pm

Post #4 of 22 (5749 views)
Shortcut
The Day you could download it [In reply to] Can't Post

sometime in early 2000..IT TOOK about 25 minutes
because the Internet was SSOoo slow.

Here is an interesting fact...THAT DAY
& THAT Trailer
set a World's Record for the time.

Must have watched it a dozen times.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Mar 25 2015, 1:07am

Post #5 of 22 (5703 views)
Shortcut
my first time as well seeing that [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship was released in theaters when I was 11 and I had no idea what it was. My dad took me because he was excited since he grew up with the books. Didn't see any of the trailers until we got the dvd and they were with the special features.

Do not go gentle into that good. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2015, 7:11am

Post #6 of 22 (5694 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very vividly [In reply to] Can't Post

It was released at midnight and took hours to download on my dialup connection. I watched it in an adrenaline-and-sleep-deprived state of extreme excitement in the wee hours of the morning...and then I watched it again....and again...and again...and...

My thoughts were pretty much one long incoherent screech of excitement. You see, when I first heard about the movies I was terrified that they were going to be typical Hollywood fantasy movies (see: Willow and various other shiny-sword-and-silver-lamé efforts of the decades previous) and that the story would be mangled beyond all recognition. But this was all recognizable and real-looking. Before LOTR, fantasy was never real-looking. But here we had Gandalf looking like Gandalf, and Aragorn as a scruffy ranger and hobbits who weren't cartoonish and the sets and casting were near perfect.

We'd seen some still shots and a few pre-production shots and brief clips in the earlier promo trailer, but this was the first time we saw most of those characters and locations and they looked so right. Most of the things that caused controversy had already been leaked in rumor form. I remember Frodo putting the ring on a plinth at the Council of Elrond had some people practically foaming at the mouth, as did Arwen being at the Ford with Frodo. But I was so taken by the incredible perfection of stuff like Gandalf's cart driving into Hobbiton and the ithildin on the Doors of Moria that I just plain didn't care. These were things that had lived in my imagination for so long and now I was seeing them on screen and they were so exactly right that I could forgive a lot of other things.

I don't think my memories have been affected either way by the Hobbit films. The LOTR era was a glorious ride and I enjoyed it to the hilt and still do in memory. I've quite enjoyed the Hobbit we got, though there's plenty of stuff I would have done differently. But that was what I expected, so I suffered no great disappointments. I knew from the beginning that they were going to add and expand and change stuff, so I went in as expectation-free as I could manage and determined just to go along for the ride. But boy, how I do love the movie Bilbo, Thorin, Thranduil, Bard, and especially Smaug. I don't love the Hobbit films on the same level as LOTR, but that's exactly how I feel about the books too, so I never expected to. But The Hobbit sits on my shelf right next to LOTR, and the movies do the same.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Mar 25 2015, 7:13am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 26 2015, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 22 (5619 views)
Shortcut
A few minutes ago :)? [In reply to] Can't Post

Never saw the trailers in the theaters. At the time the films were released I was so busy with real life stuff that I was not going to any movies. I do remember seeing a few TV ads, first for FOTR and then TTT, which began low key and then got increasingly adrenalized as they began including all the rave reviews for the films in the ads Smile. But still it wasn't until the TV ads for ROTK were including critics' raves like 'the epic of the millenium' and 'one of the 10 best pictures of all time', Sly that I finally said hmm, mental note to self: watch the LOTR films when you get a chance.

Which that chance finally came, a few years later and I rented all three from a video store (how about that for a new thread: Can you remember renting movies from video stores? :)) when I had a week's stay-at-home vacation. I watched them one after another, and.... the rest is history. Changed my life, they did. Amazing.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 22 (5614 views)
Shortcut
Me too - I never watched the FOTR trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

much at all. I had too deep a distrust of the film being made and would glance at them and then either change the channel or dart out of the room.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 26 2015, 3:48pm

Post #9 of 22 (5613 views)
Shortcut
we used to start the download procedure (for these trailers/teasers) before we went to bed... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and watch the next morning it would take so long!

lol... these are like the "I had to walk 10 miles to school in the snow"

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 26 2015, 3:49pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 26 2015, 3:56pm

Post #10 of 22 (5627 views)
Shortcut
for anyone interested: some basic info on this trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I gathered a lot of info on all the LOTR teasers and trailers.

This one is the FOTR Final Trailer. It debuted on TV, Sept 24, 2001 (this was just two weeks after 9-11)

To see more info on the music and the lead up buzz to this trailer, go here:

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...FOTRTrailerFinal.htm

To access info on all the trailers, follow the link in my footer to my soundtrack site and find, then click the link for "LOTR TRAILER INFORMATION" in the left navigation frame.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 3:58pm

Post #11 of 22 (5598 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie. Based on the date - I see why I do not remember this trailer specifically. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I gathered a lot of info on all the LOTR teasers and trailers.

This one is the FOTR Final Trailer. It debuted on TV, Sept 24, 2001 (this was just two weeks after 9-11)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 26 2015, 3:59pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 27 2015, 11:48am

Post #12 of 22 (5564 views)
Shortcut
Ha - dial up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dial up internet! Before broadband and high-speed, I remember that too. Oh and how terrible it was to get disconnected in the middle of one of those long downloads Unsure!!

What's amazing is that it hasn't really been *that* long (um, has it Crazy????)

In Reply To
these are like the "I had to walk 10 miles to school in the snow"

lol - my favorite of those jokes was:

1st person: "And we got up at 4am!"
2nd person: "We got up at 3!"
3rd person: "We got up before we went to sleep!!!"

Laugh

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 27 2015, 11:52am

Post #13 of 22 (5558 views)
Shortcut
I can imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

the trepidation the fans felt, knowing those films were coming out. There was such potential for them to be a complete disaster! It still feels like one of those one-in-a-million occurrences, that the films turned out to be so spectacularly good.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 2:08am

Post #14 of 22 (5509 views)
Shortcut
It was...wow...outright dread for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the trepidation the fans felt, knowing those films were coming out. There was such potential for them to be a complete disaster! It still feels like one of those one-in-a-million occurrences, that the films turned out to be so spectacularly good.

But as Silverlode notes, the fact that this all looked so REAL, scene-by-scene, was reassuring but I was still so scared to go see them. I actually started looking around on TORn before I saw the film. Its hard to remember but I think I actually signed up to post on the Film board in mid-March, after I finally (was dragged) saw the FOTR and was simply blown away by it. I was a late convert but a complete one.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2015, 6:11am

Post #15 of 22 (5471 views)
Shortcut
I saw it on TV, when it premiered on the WB during the Season 3 Premiere of 'Angel'... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually posted about my reaction back in 2011, when we celebrated the 10 year anniversary here on the boards:

I vividly remember watching this trailer on the WB. I always taped Angel anyway, so I was all set to go. I made sure I had the optimum signal from the antenna and got ready to watch the very first trailer that I would see after having finally finished reading Lord of the Rings. It seems strange that I remember being so happy and excited about this trailer being on, considering the close proximity to 9/11. I remember being numb that day and being glued to the television as a sat in each of my classes that day - but it's hard for me to remember how I felt in the weeks that followed. Then again, I do seem to remember that time in those days seemed to stretch out longer. Two weeks feels like the blink of an eye now, but back then it might as well have been a couple months.

As I said, words can't describe how I felt about this trailer - but if I were to attempt, I would say that I held my breath for the entirety of that 3 minutes. I was certain, and remain so, that I had never before seen a more perfect couple minutes of film. I think it is the greatest trailer that any studio has yet assembled, and it perfectly captured the grandeur and emotion of Tolkien's book.

...and in what felt like at least half a year between the release of that trailer and the actual release of the film (funny how fast 2-3 months passes by now), I must have viewed this trailer a couple hundred times, if not more. lol

I had never before been so mesmerized, and I can guarantee that no trailer has come close to giving me that same level of excitement since (though subsequent LotR trailer came close Smile).

I think the first three questions are pretty much answered above. As for whether The Hobbit has tarnished my memory of either this trailer or the film(s) themselves...

No. If anything, I love the Lord of the Rings more than ever (and that says a lot Tongue). To be clear, I don't dislike The Hobbit films, but I do have many issues with them.

However, nothing can ever diminish the memories and experience that was The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, from the early years of the new millennium. They were, and continue to be, the most incredible cinematic experiences in my life - and much of the promotional material, such as this trailer, brings all that excitement and awe flooding right back. Watching this, I feel like that 17 year old kid again, holding his breath throughout the length of the trailer (without even quite realizing it).

I've talked before about the heartbreak I felt when I first saw An Unexpected Journey. I've sense come to appreciate the film on its own terms (issues and all), but there was something magical and indefinable about what Peter and the gang accomplished with The Lord of the Rings. At the time, it saddened me greatly that the new films had failed to (in my opinion) recapture that.

But then I go back to the films that defined a very impressionable period of my life. Then my heart lifts, and I smile ear to ear. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 4:14pm

Post #16 of 22 (5397 views)
Shortcut
Just for the record [In reply to] Can't Post

The first trailer for FotR went up on New Line's site on April 7, 2001. And yes, it took a long time to download these things in those days. I remember waiting for hours for the Two Towers trailer.

Kristin

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 4:18pm

Post #17 of 22 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Don't judge special effects by the trailers [In reply to] Can't Post

Trailers are made of unfinished footage, often (as we know) include shots that don't end up in the final film, and usually use a "temp track," music (often from an existing film) that won't be in the film at all. The LotR films look better when you watch the films themselves because they have been finished. (Digital effects, digital grading, careful editing, etc.)

Kristin

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2015, 4:46am

Post #18 of 22 (5333 views)
Shortcut
I was comparing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the effects of the Hobbit films to the LotR Films. The LotR ones are not as good. But when I am actually watching an LotR movie, I don't care, anymore than (for example) I care when I watch "Star Wars: A New Hope" that is has what were really good effects in the 1970s.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 5:31am

Post #19 of 22 (5336 views)
Shortcut
That will always be the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

The film is 14 years old now, so no big surprise that the CGI isn't as refined as modern effects.

I do feel strongly, however, that the implementation and use of the effects was much better in LotR than The Hobbit. A lot of that was born out of necessity, since not as much could be done with CGI, and therefore there wasn't an over-reliance on it.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 29 2015, 5:34am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 5 2015, 12:22am

Post #20 of 22 (5168 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my second year of college, myself and a few of my friends were all crammed in someone's dorm room watching it on a PC. I had no idea what it was and to be honest didn't have much interest in it. Yet somehow my friends convinced me to go with them on opening night, plus I had nothing better to do. Long story short, I really enjoyed the film and a week later started to read The Hobbit followed by The LOTR and fell in love with the amazing world of Middle Earth. Had it not been for these films, I probably would've never picked up the books.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 11:29pm

Post #21 of 22 (4976 views)
Shortcut
I can't specifically recall this one but I must have seen it...it is very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

The reminder of dial up speed is a bad memory! Sometimes, you would get a few frames and then.....stop........buffering......a few frames....stop.......buffering.....

MEM
The Shire

Apr 19 2015, 2:41am

Post #22 of 22 (4912 views)
Shortcut
Re: I saw the trailer in the theater ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm intrigued by the shot of Legolas firing the bow - that never made it into the EE, either, did it? So they got attacked by orcs before Lorien.

I wasn't a fan of LOTR before the films came out (meaning I hadn't read the books yet). I had loved the Hobbit cartoon as a kid, and my dad had read us the book and we loved it, but I hadn't ever read LOTR so I didn't know what to expect (and I hadn't thought about the Hobbit in years by that point). I do remember this trailer - or one of the trailers - in the theater, and it got my interest, I do remember that. (I think it niggled the nostalgia part of my brain as I connected the Hobbit of my childhood with FOTR). I remember most the "You have my sword/axe/bow" part - although I think that was in every TV spot - as well as the following shot of the elves in Lorien. I also remember the words that come right before those parts: "a fellowship will protect him" - I remember being intrigued by that.

I had a deeper reaction to the Hobbit trailer. I had almost planned on not seeing those movies, since I loved FOTR so much (it still remains my most favoritest movie ever, and I don't ever see that changing) and had liked the TTT/ROTK less for various reasons, and since I loved the Hobbit cartoon of my childhood so much, I figured I was okay with not seeing PJ's version. And then I saw the first hobbit trailer online, and the part where the dwarves start singing did that nostaglia thing to my brain again, and I was hooked.

In Reply To
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pki6jbSbXIY
  • What did you think?
  • Did it meet your expectations?
  • What didn't you like about it? (I remember a lot of people not liking the whole Frodo jumping onto the barge scene)
  • Have your memories been tarnished/enhanced after the Hobbit films?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.