The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Movies Set in the East

QueenCirce
Bree

Mar 23 2015, 5:48am

Post #1 of 8 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Movies Set in the East Can't Post

http://observationdeck.io9.com/east-middle-earth-a-story-worth-telling-1691586234/+cherylvis

I read this observation and surprisingly while i didn't agree with all of it. Thought there was some value to this.

A new director and team could really make this a success ( or failure) but could be awesome especially the blue wizards.

And I had a thought, what if Gandalf sent Raddy as a messenger to the east to warn the East/Blue wizards that Saruman is back! ( seeing as he doesn't remember their names!0

it could be used to explain his absence in the LOTR and use him a a bridging character. :-)

I would love to to see this IF it could be done right. Some of the middle earth side stories have been fairly well created in some instances ( i.e. aspects of shadow of Mordor)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 12:08pm

Post #2 of 8 (1768 views)
Shortcut
"It's very good, but it's not.... Tolkien." [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien wrote little about the East of his world because he was interested in the West and identified with it.

To create an entire fantasy genre film series set in so-called "East Middle-earth", with a new plot, new villain, new heroes, and new geography, none of which have more than the slimmest bases in his appendices and notes, and then say that it's a "Tolkien" film set in "Middle-earth" seems wrong to me. All the creativity required for such a project would come entirely from the minds and talents of the staff who would be recruited to produce it - from the writer to the designer to the director and actors - and not from the writings of Tolkien. He would be invoked by the marketing division only, to pull in an audience that liked and would expect more of what Jackson and his teams have done.

So why not take all that creativity, which surely exists, and create an independent and new fantasy world, with accompanying stories and films as desired, without deceptively pretending it's part of Tolkien's imaginary world?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 23 2015, 12:43pm

Post #3 of 8 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Disclaimer: “This movie is based on an idea by JRR Tolkien.” // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 2:07pm

Post #4 of 8 (1748 views)
Shortcut
Event? [In reply to] Can't Post

From the article:

There is also of course the event Tolkien hinted at. Something that happened in the East that changed the course of LOTR but was not noticed in the West. What could it have been?

Even Tolkien's 'hint' was more speculation than anything else, as I remember it. He didn't suggest that even he had a concrete plot in mind. Even his idea for a post-LotR novel (The New Shadow), set after the reign of King Elessar, had more going for it than this.

Even I will admit that my own suggestion for a movie (or movies) about the upbringing and journeys of young Aragorn is supported only by the brief sketch of Aragorn's early life provided by the Appendices. They provide no substantial details about his service to Rohan or his experiences in the East and South. I'm not even sure when those later explorations took place. The tale of Aragorn and Arwen seems to imply that they were before TA 2980, but reading about Denethor II of Gondor makes it seem that Aragorn might not have journeyed east until after the completion of his time in Gondor.

I'm a little surprised that the author didn't suggest any equally thin notions for a movie set in Far Harad or Umbar.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Wainrider
Rivendell

Mar 27 2015, 5:04am

Post #5 of 8 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Eastern Story [In reply to] Can't Post

Coincidentally I am writing a story about Eastern Middle earth right now, but since I'm not a professional writer, it probably won't get much attention.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 27 2015, 2:30pm

Post #6 of 8 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and the East. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Coincidentally I am writing a story about Eastern Middle earth right now, but since I'm not a professional writer, it probably won't get much attention.

Would this be set in the flilm-canon, in Tolkien's legendarium, or your own, alternate Middle-earth? Regarding Aragorn, in 2980, after leading (as Thorongil) a successul raid on the fleet of the Corsairs at Umbar, Aragorn snuck into Mordor and scouted there for some weeks or months before deciding that he needed some down-time in Rivendell. He was passing near Lothlorien on his way back and, having never visited that realm before, sought entrance which was given by Lady Galadriel. Within he was reunited with Arwen and they plighted their troth upon the hill of Cerin Amroth. In the film-verse this might have happened as early as the year 2963 (depending on how closely the travels of the Company of the Ring in the films follow the chronology Tolkien gives in his "Tale of Years" in LotR Appendix B). If the film-version of the Battle of Helm's Deep happened on or after 1 March then the final year of the errantries of Aragorn was probably 2964).

The only times before the engagement of Aragorn and Arwen when the Ranger might have had the opportunity to travel any great distance were either before his service to King Thengel of Rohan or between his time in Rohan and the period during which he served under Ecthelion II, the Steward of Gondor.

In film-canon, Aragorn was likely born in 2915 (but no earlier than 2914). He might have first met and befriended Gandalf in 2940 (only if this was before Thorin and Company set out on the Quest of Erebor at the end of the April of that year). His period of great journeys and errantries probably began in 2941 and lasted until 2964. It looks as though young Aragorn missed out on Jackson's Battle of Five Armies; altthough he might have been able to help with the efforts to rebuild Dale or Esgaroth. Saruman the White, while proud and arrogant, still seems to be good at the time of the Battle of Five Armies, so he probably does not start secretly troubling Rohan earlier than 2953. This gives film-Aragorn more than ten years before his service to Thengel likely begins--perhaps as much as fifteen years, as Rohan should have been relatively peaceful before the White Wizard stirs things up.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Wainrider
Rivendell

Mar 30 2015, 4:21am

Post #7 of 8 (1365 views)
Shortcut
Eastern Story [In reply to] Can't Post

My story is set in the third age of middle earth, around the same time as the lord of the rings. It is in Tolkien's world, but has some characters and twists of my own.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 30 2015, 3:03pm

Post #8 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut
The Legacy of the Blues? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My story is set in the third age of middle earth, around the same time as the lord of the rings. It is in Tolkien's world, but has some characters and twists of my own.

Well, you should ask yourself what impact (if any) did the Blue Wizards have on the distant East? Were they at least partially successful in countering the cults of Morgoth worshippers founded by Sauron and his servants? Did they create pockets of resistance to Sauron that kept him from using the full might of the East against the Free Peoples of the North? Or did they ultimately fail--either destroyed by Sauron or succumbing to their own pride as Tolkien conjectured in his early writings about them.

Also, did Aragorn (under whatever traveling name(s) he was using) leave behind a legacy of his travels in the East (and South)? Certainly he must have met some good Men in his travels. Did he take heart from them and inspire them in turn? What memories did he leave in his wake of the mysterious wanderer clad in woodland colors?

I can imagine that the greatest city-states of the far East of Middle-earth might have ranged from places that resembled the Bagdad of myth and legend or ancient China before the invasion of the Mongols. The ancestors of those Mongols were probably among the Easterlings who were attacking Gondor, Rohan and Rhovanion.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 30 2015, 3:07pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.