Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's your favorite time(s) of the year?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's your favorite time(s) of the year?
Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall
A particular Holiday season?
A particular tradition?
Your birthday!
Other. Share with the group. ;-)
View Results (79 votes)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 1:06am

Post #1 of 61 (2360 views)
Shortcut
What's your favorite time(s) of the year? Can't Post

With this (*gratuitous piratey language edited*) lingering East-coast winter, well LINGERING, its got me thinking about my favorite season.

SUMMER. Ahhhh...Cool

You? Thoughts?

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 23 2015, 1:07am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2015, 2:16am

Post #2 of 61 (2278 views)
Shortcut
Spring and fall [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the promise of spring and the payout of fall. They are also the seasons that are on the way to the extremes of summer heat and winter cold. I've always been more about the journey than the destination. Cool

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2015, 2:24am

Post #3 of 61 (2269 views)
Shortcut
I voted... [In reply to] Can't Post

A particular holiday season, meaning in my case, Christmas ("the most wonderful time of the year"), and therefore also, Winter.

Though, I live in the Boston area and this year we have had perhaps a bit too much of a good thing. Laugh Fall witu the spectacular colors of the leaves and my kids returning from Summer at their father's is a close second.Heart

Summer tends to be too hot and humid, and also my kids go away for most of it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 2:36am

Post #4 of 61 (2268 views)
Shortcut
You forgot the asterisk. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've always been more about the journey than the destination. * Cool

* Unless that destination is Broadway and/or RA performing live. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 2:39am

Post #5 of 61 (2265 views)
Shortcut
Too much of a good (cold) thing is right! (typing while wrapped in SpongeBob blanket) [In reply to] Can't Post

But I completely see how having the kids close makes a difference in your choice there.

Haven't you guys gotten something like 114 inches of snow this year? Crazy

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2015, 2:58am

Post #6 of 61 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, but then again [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the drive too.

OK, maybe not the whole drive. Not that part in the tunnel. Stuck in the tunnel. Nope not that part.

But I liked the rest of it! I love driving up the Jersey Turnpike with someone who has never been to New York. I point out the skyline and let them watch the city come closer. Then right before the tunnel (shiver) I point out the city across the river and when we come up, BAM we're in the middle of it! It's exciting!.

*****But yes, if the destination is RA or Broadway, the trip does have a certain... something to it. Next up - RA on Broadway. If they can let Sienna Miller ans some of the other "celebrities" do their plays, they can certainly find a fitting vehicle for his talent. It's too bad there is something blocking The Crucible from being restaged here. It's odd. Digital Theatre has had different productions shown via Fathom events here in the States, (I wanted to see Toby Stephens in Private Lives but I missed it) but for some reason The Crucible has something else holding it back.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 23 2015, 4:14am

Post #7 of 61 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Summer. In Maine. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Mar 23 2015, 5:03am

Post #8 of 61 (2247 views)
Shortcut
Summer [In reply to] Can't Post

Outdoor summer concerts, picnics, reading outside, sunshine, blue skies, flip flops. Bring it on! Cool

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 23 2015, 5:33am

Post #9 of 61 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Spring [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring is my absolute favourite time of the year. I love going for early-morning walks in the forest, when the mist is just lifting and the sun is coming out. And I also love to watch everything turn green again.

There's something in every season that I like, though. In winter, there's the preparation for Christmas, with the Christmas markets, the lights and decorations. In autumn you get the changing leaves and lovely colours. And in summer, there are holidays, swimming and sitting outside in the evening with a glass of chilled wine.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2015, 6:05am

Post #10 of 61 (2252 views)
Shortcut
I said spring, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

here in California, it works a little differently. We get an early start because it only rains heavily from November through January, then we get occasional showers through April or early May. After that the rain stops entirely and it's dry and hot until October or so. So regardless of what the official seasons are, spring weather for us starts in mid-February when all the fruit trees start blooming. All the wildflowers and natives are blooming now, along with most of the flowers in our yard. By mid-May (probably earlier this year because of our drought), the hills will all be turning to gold as we transition to summer weather (hot and dry) which will last through fall, with September as our hottest month on average (by then the hills are baked brown). Then the rain starts in Oct or Nov, the hills start to turn green again and we have a (hopefully) wet and green Christmas.

So that's a long way of saying it's about as lovely as it gets here right now.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 7:17am

Post #11 of 61 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Winter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any temperature above 20degC and I melt.

Plus, penguins.

And in the UK, fog is more common in winter.

Winter was made for me.Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 7:46am

Post #12 of 61 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Autumn. // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:28am

Post #13 of 61 (2225 views)
Shortcut
Spring and summer // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 3:07pm

Post #14 of 61 (2209 views)
Shortcut
I love winter [In reply to] Can't Post

I was born in a blizzard and I love nothing better than watching snow fall. (And yes, I know how to drive in it so it holds no terrors for me; and yes, I've lived in the mountains where it snowed FEET at a time - one Christmas, it snowed 18 inches a day for 6 days straight. Okay, on day 6 I was maybe a little tired of watching snow fall.) This year the East Coast stole ALL our snow which was not only unfair but means we're in for a bad fire season, drought, and terrible fleas this summer.

I can't abide heat. Especially humid heat.

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 23 2015, 6:54pm

Post #15 of 61 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Spring [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the fresh, clean smells of springtime, and the bright green of new grass -- not to mention that it marks the end of the cold Ontario winter... Wink I also like summer, but it's too much on the warm side. Spring is between hot and cold, a.k.a. perfect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 7:15pm

Post #16 of 61 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Summer [In reply to] Can't Post

But, ask me again when it gets sticky! My answer might change.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 8:54pm

Post #17 of 61 (2176 views)
Shortcut
Cap'n says we need to sail the heck outta this winter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 8:55pm

Post #18 of 61 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Add 'pool'. Ditto. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Outdoor summer concerts, picnics, reading outside, sunshine, blue skies, flip flops. Bring it on! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 8:57pm

Post #19 of 61 (2170 views)
Shortcut
I do agree here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's something in every season that I like, though.

I enjoy living someplace where there is a real change of seasons. I missed that when I lived in Florida for a while. There are parts of each I like. I just want this particular one to give way and share with Spring a bit more. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:01pm

Post #20 of 61 (2169 views)
Shortcut
I covet your growing season, as a gardener [In reply to] Can't Post

and I have read about what West Coast fruit tree growers experience. You truly have it made as far as the patterns go if you want to grow edibles. To the point that many West Coast varieties of fruit do not prosper here: the climates are just too different. I have to stop myself ordering varieties of trees that flourish by you and have great characteristics - because they likely won't here.

But on the downside, then you have those drier months that maritime climates never get so that's very different, along with increased wildfire risks. So I can see why you would like this softer part of the year in your neck of the woods versus high summer.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:06pm

Post #21 of 61 (2167 views)
Shortcut
Fitting for your Superhero Secret Identity, Glacier Man [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Any temperature above 20degC and I melt.

Plus, penguins.

And in the UK, fog is more common in winter.

Winter was made for me.Wink

Or was I not supposed to mention that? Laugh

I'm curious as to the East Coast phenomenon of cooler later springs and harsher winters (along with a later fall) that we've had the last decade-ish. Is that warming in the equator and more el Nino allowing polar air to drop into lower latitudes?

If you ever visit in the summer you can hang in the arctic AC that Tallest Dwarf Prince and Hubby maintain in the house. Crazy

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:07pm

Post #22 of 61 (2162 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to your favorite time of year then, by you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:10pm

Post #23 of 61 (2162 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100% about the precipitation [In reply to] Can't Post

we will be in much better shape drought-wise than you will be having gotten so much liquid in one form or another. Garden-wise I am very happy about that. As for the cold, you can hang onto that! I like snow and cold right around Christmas; a week or two later, I'm done. That's enough.

You are a natural snow-baby it seems! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:12pm

Post #24 of 61 (2158 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh. That is nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love the fresh, clean smells of springtime, and the bright green of new grass --

I just saw the shoots of my daylilies creeping out today. Shoo, snow. I want green.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:14pm

Post #25 of 61 (2161 views)
Shortcut
Hubby hates 'sticky' [In reply to] Can't Post

or 'warm'. Or 'not frigid out'. Its funny that I maintain a swimming pool...for one, for the most part. They stay inside and I am outdoors all summer from early morning until dark. At least my BFF does like the pool, so sometimes I have company.

Will keep an eye out for you bemoaning heat and see if you had a change of heart. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.