The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Question for novel writers or any writers

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Mar 21 2015, 4:17pm

Post #1 of 8 (512 views)
Shortcut
Question for novel writers or any writers Can't Post

So I've been writing a fantasy novel recently, and I don't usually write novels or long stories, and I'm having a hard time extending the novel because now, its' only 70 pages, but people have told me you need at least 200 to get publisher's attention. I am putting some more subplots, but is there any other way because I'm worried their might be too much subplot, and there is already a lot of back story. It's fantasy if you want to know too.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Mar 21 2015, 4:17pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 21 2015, 4:57pm

Post #2 of 8 (492 views)
Shortcut
What you have written is a "novella"... [In reply to] Can't Post

A novella is a short novel or a long short story. Novel writing should be an organic process and not forced (as it seems you are plodding through currently). Ironically, most novel writers suffer from writing "too much" and have to edited down (I suffer from prolixity), whereas you seem to be on the opposite end of the spectrum.

My suggestion would be to keep your story at the point that best suits you, rather than adding extraneous material that detracts from the overall theme. Merely adding for the sake of word count will not please you or the readers. If you are happy with your product, leave it be. Since it's a fantasy, perhaps you could find a theme or character in which you can build a full novel, based on what you wrote in your novella (after all, Tolkien created an entire world and history out of bits and pieces). Some of the greatest fantasy and sci-fi novelists have written novellas as well (Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Anthony Burgess, H.G. Wells, etc.), so don't feel it is necessary to add chrome hubcaps to a stallion.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Mar 21 2015, 4:57pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 5:17pm

Post #3 of 8 (470 views)
Shortcut
I just purchased an e-book of short stories by Charles De Lint [In reply to] Can't Post

I see lots of short stories on Amazon's ebook site.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 5:31pm

Post #4 of 8 (470 views)
Shortcut
The issue isn't page count... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's word count. How many words there are per page depend on font, margins, and so forth. Any word-processing program should give you a word count.

The point at which short stories become novelettes become novellas become novels depends on who you ask. Generally a short story becomes a novelette at about 7500 to 10,000 words. A novella can be 20,000 words or more. Most publishers don't consider anything shorter than 50 or 55,000 words to be a novel.

At the upper end, novels over 100 or 120,000 words are usually too long for most publishers.

I agree with the others. Write to the length you need to tell your story. And good luck!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 6:45pm

Post #5 of 8 (458 views)
Shortcut
If it feels complete to you as it is..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...don't try to make it longer. As Lily Fairbairn says, it's word count that matters ultimately, not page count.

In the first instance, though, what gets a publisher's attention is an interesting idea for a story, well-presented and long anough to show that the writer can write. Many writers don't submit a complete novel at first, just a synopsis and a couple of specimen chapters - that should be enough to catch a publisher's interest, if it's good.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 7:17pm

Post #6 of 8 (458 views)
Shortcut
The magazine market [In reply to] Can't Post

You might want to submit your story to one of the s.f./fantasy magazines (if it is rejected you can submit it to more than one--BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME). If the story is rejected and you are very lucky, you might get some useful feedback instead of just a standardized form letter. This is a good thing; if the editor didn't see any potential than he/she would not have wasted time on a personalized response.

The fiction magazine market isn't what it once was, but there are still a few around. Major ones still being published in the U.S. include:
- The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
- Weird Tales
- Strange Horizons (webzine)

You might find some smaller titles at your local indie bookstore or at Barnes & Noble. And if you're not in the U.S., research your local publications.

If your goal is to become a professional fiction writer, remember that pros get paid!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 21 2015, 7:19pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 23 2015, 6:50pm

Post #7 of 8 (369 views)
Shortcut
Don't force yourself to make it longer... [In reply to] Can't Post

...at the expense of the story you want to tell. My own (completed) fantasy novel is the same length, about 70 pages, and it is perfect to me (duh Wink... but I think my point stands). Don't worry about the length, just write your story. If you shoehorn in subplots in an attempt to make it longer, it will probably seem forced.

Also, if you are worried about publishers due to your novel's length, you might try self-publishing. It's a much more respected option than it used to be, and that's what I'm doing with my novel.

Hope this helps!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 24 2015, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 8 (349 views)
Shortcut
Some famous authors wrote short stories [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of Jane Austen's books were probably more "novellas," it seems like "Sense & Sensibility" was only about 200 pages. One of my criticisms of Austen is that she skimped on descriptions, so that is an area to think about developing rather than sub-plots. Also, Alexander Dumas wrote a series of short stories that became "The Three Musketeers." Then there's Edgar Allen Poe. I think right now the longest story I've written is about 120 pgs (don't know the word count, LOL!), but the one I'm working on now I'm hoping will break the 200 pg mark. I will likely self-publish as an e-book when it's finished, but we'll see. I agree with everyone, don't add subplots just to make it longer. Tom Clancy uses WAAAAAYYYYYY too many subplots that really don't enhance the story, and they can leave a reader confused and exhausted trying to keep up with it all. You know, alot of people citicize J.K. Rowling, and maybe she's not the greatest writer, but I think she hits the subplot/red herring stuff quite well. There's always a few of them out there, but they always get summed up and lead you back to the main characters. Best of luck to you!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.