The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The ending of BOFA

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 11:54pm

Post #1 of 7 (1546 views)
Shortcut
The ending of BOFA Can't Post

Does anyone else think the ending of BOFA was near flawless? I'm talking about everything up from Bilbo leaving the dwarves to the credits (and even the credits & music itself).

I used to be worried that they were gonna try to give it a grand ending similar to RotK, but the actual ending felt wonderfully minimalistic and simple to me. And while i'm usually not a fan of too much foreshadowing, that shot of old Bilbo looking at the ring coupled with the music was wonderfully done and gave off a nice foreboding feel. They also managed to get exactly the kind of tone i was hoping they were gonna end the movie with. It felt somewhat somber and downbeat at first, but still ended on a happy note.

I know there could've been some improvements in the EE to show more of Bilbo's trip back home, but i'm really happy with the ending we got in the TE.

What do you think?

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 21 2015, 12:39am

Post #2 of 7 (1461 views)
Shortcut
I don't much like BoFA, but I'll agree with this... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the mournful trumpets in Dale onward the movie is near perfect. The purist in me would like to have seen Balin and Gandalf's visit instead of the bookend - But that's a very picky request, the bookend is really nicely done and works perfectly.

But I also think that the end feels like part of a different movie - it feels more in-line with AUJ and sort of detached from the tone of DoS and BoFA, which I think have a very different style and feel to the first movie. It feels almost too faithful to the book after watching two films that basically take every opportunity to deviate from the text. I guess it's also because there are real environments and no CG? I don't know.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Mar 21 2015, 12:40am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 9:02am

Post #3 of 7 (1305 views)
Shortcut
I agree.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's beautifully done and rounds the three films off perfectly.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 21 2015, 10:15am

Post #4 of 7 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

It lacks a funeral pretty damn badly though.

But I love how they move from young Bilbo to old Bilbo. And they way Martin scrunches up his face. It's so on purpose to make him look old Laugh And the zoom in on old Bilbo in the chair was beautifully done.
Though it does nag me a little that in FotR it doesn't take that long for Bilbo to open the door, but that is so minor Laugh

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 21 2015, 12:06pm

Post #5 of 7 (1226 views)
Shortcut
That stuff never bothers me in these films... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though it does nag me a little that in FotR it doesn't take that long for Bilbo to open the door

I always view the Middle-earth films as a heavily edited, condensed presentation of the events. Gandalf could have been waiting for the door open and we just see it edited because it would be boring to see him waiting.

It's similar to those who complained that Aragorn wasn't waiting outside the Black Gate for long enough. People don't want to watch the characters waiting around, so the films cut it out. The same logic also fixes a lot of "continuity issues" that people think exist - Faramir's barrels etc. It's all just a result of condensing time to make it watchable.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 7 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Be-Witched, Be-Bothered, & Be-Wizarded.. [In reply to] Can't Post

To get people "Dazed & Confused", MUCH..?
was likely the LAST THING
on PJ's mind
to do to
anyone.

Countless people have seen this..

Was it PJ & his 5,000+
Employee's JOB
to try to make
ANYONE
un-Happy?

Often it seems there is a Movie projected for Millions of people
but for Some?
... there is ONLY an
Audience of ONE

SING it. "Badda, Bing, Badda Bong.."
as..bomby bounced along
the Great EAST Road
& back down over
the Barrow Downs...
HeartCrazyHeart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 22 2015, 10:59am

Post #7 of 7 (874 views)
Shortcut
There's a reason for that [In reply to] Can't Post

Those final scenes in Bag End were filmed at the same time as the opening scenes, right at the start of shooting, so really they were more a part of AUJ than the other two films, which didn't exist at that point.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.