Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Landscapes in Middle-earth (or another Tolkien work) that intrigue you...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 23 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Landscapes in Middle-earth (or another Tolkien work) that intrigue you... Can't Post

...that you love, or would like to see. I will start off with one that I would dearly love to explore:

"And in the shorelands Tuor first found traces of the Noldor of old. For among the tall and sea-hewn cliffs south of Drengist there were many coves and sheltered inlets, with beaches of white sand among the black gleaming rocks, and leading down to such places Tuor found often winding stairs cut in the living stone; and by the water-edge were ruined quays, built of great blocks hewn from the cliffs, where elven-ships had once been moored."

(Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin, Unfinished Tales)

What are some of yours?

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 20 2015, 8:39pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 20 2015, 8:45pm

Post #2 of 23 (2469 views)
Shortcut
Black swans [In reply to] Can't Post

Upon the west to their right the land was treeless also, but it was flat, and in many places green with wide plains of grass. On this side of the River they passed forests of great reeds, so tall that they shut out all view to the west, as the little boats went rustling by along their fluttering borders. Their dark withered plumes bent and tossed in the light cold airs, hissing softly and sadly. Here and there through openings Frodo could catch sudden glimpses of rolling meads, and far beyond them hills in the sunset, and away on the edge of sight a dark line, where marched the southernmost ranks of the Misty Mountains.
There was no sign of living moving things, save birds. Of these there were many: small fowl whistling and piping in the reeds, but they were seldom seen. Once or twice the travellers heard the rush and whine of swan-wings, and looking up they saw a great phalanx streaming along the sky.
`Swans! ' said Sam. `And mighty big ones too! '
`Yes,' said Aragorn, 'and they are black swans.'

-The Great River

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Mar 20 2015, 8:45pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 8:54pm

Post #3 of 23 (2469 views)
Shortcut
To boldly go where no man or beast has gone before [In reply to] Can't Post

The summit of Tol Brandir was tipped with gold. Frodo looked out eastward and gazed at the tall island. Its sides sprang sheer out of the running water. High up above the tall cliffs were steep slopes upon which trees climbed, mounting one head above another; and above them again were grey faces of inaccessible rock, crowned by a great spire of stone. Many birds were circling about it, but no sign of other living things could be seen.
- The Breaking of the Fellowship, FOTR

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 20 2015, 9:00pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 9:03pm

Post #4 of 23 (2460 views)
Shortcut
'...The world came there to a sudden end" [In reply to] Can't Post

They stood under the boughs of the woods again. No noise of the falls could be heard, for a long southward slope lay now between them and the ravine in which the stream flowed. To the west they could see light through the trees, as if the world came there to a sudden end, at a brink looking out only on to sky.
[Said Faramir:] ‘Go straight on, for thus you will have the cover of the woodland for many miles. On your west is an edge where the land falls into the great vales, sometimes suddenly and sheer, sometimes in long hillsides. Keep near to this edge and the skirts of the forest.' -
LotR IV.7

I have always been curious about this edge. It somehow rings true geologically but I've never seen it in any Tolkien illustration, or even on any of the maps. I've always thought it must have been a huge obstacle to Gondorian settlement on the upper slopes of Ithilien.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:19pm

Post #5 of 23 (2435 views)
Shortcut
It would be both a natural barrier wall against invasion [In reply to] Can't Post

but also a natural boundary to expansion as well.

Map-gazing, I'm thinking it must refer to the western edge of N. Ithilien (south of Henneth Annun) as it heads towards the Anduin south of Cair Andros? Perhaps formed by the stronger and older course of the Anduin (maybe after the War of Wrath? I can picture a short period of intense water flow as the land resettled - much like I have read theorized about the formation of the Grand Canyon?)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:20pm

Post #6 of 23 (2434 views)
Shortcut
Bring the climbing gear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The summit of Tol Brandir was tipped with gold. Frodo looked out eastward and gazed at the tall island. Its sides sprang sheer out of the running water. High up above the tall cliffs were steep slopes upon which trees climbed, mounting one head above another; and above them again were grey faces of inaccessible rock, crowned by a great spire of stone. Many birds were circling about it, but no sign of other living things could be seen.
- The Breaking of the Fellowship, FOTR

And as I note with many of JRRT's ancient landscapes: the birds hold court there.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:21pm

Post #7 of 23 (2431 views)
Shortcut
Evocative. And as I posted to BF ... birds. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Their dark withered plumes bent and tossed in the light cold airs, hissing softly and sadly.

hanne
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 10:33pm

Post #8 of 23 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Do you ever play location scout and try to find images that match these landscapes? [In reply to] Can't Post

For Tuor on the shores how about Thousand Steps Beach in Bonaire?

Frodo's view from the (Columbia) river (but no black swans)

I'd feel I was climbing Tol Brandir in Halong Bay.

The edge makes me think of the Niagara Escarpment (which is very beautiful to explore because there is a trail all long it. Views and waterfalls and forest...)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:41pm

Post #9 of 23 (2425 views)
Shortcut
What a neat set of pics! And very cool idea [In reply to] Can't Post

This one reminds me of the landscape I was contemplating, with Tuor exploring old Noldo stairways...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 23 (2418 views)
Shortcut
As a further thought on the ridge's implications to Ithilien ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the River would be seen, but accessible likely only through portage-ways or ladders. They would be able to see any River fleet, and have some small goods maybe shipped - but it would not be easy. Instead the land routes would be more efficient for them.

It removes Ithilien one step away from the ship-heritage of Numenor. That belongs more securely to Gondor and the King.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 12:33am

Post #11 of 23 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Great photos [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of Middle-earth, both in The Silmarillion and in LotR, as being in northern Europe, especially England. So when I read about the landscapes, I always provide a lot of cloudy weather and generally grey palette and misty haze - one reason why I like Alan Lee's illustrations so much.

Anyway, I figure Tuor's exploration of a cliffscape over beaches should not have bright blue skies and turquoise water. I suspect there are locations in, say, Cornwall, with black cliffs, white beaches, and steps carved in the stone, that might well have come from Tolkien's own experience.

I love reading about the Niagara escarpment! They had to build the Erie Canal to get up it - quite an enterprise in 1820s America. It reminds me of the Catskills east face, overlooking the Hudson. But in both cases, unlike Ithilien, the dramatic cliff is at the edge of a plateau; it's basically flat as you walk away from the cliff edge. In Ithilien, I gather from the description, the edge appears along a contour or the highlands slope. The wooded topography continues upwards, at a shallower incline, all the way to the foothills and then the peaks of the Ephel Duath mountains.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

hanne
Lorien

Mar 21 2015, 12:57am

Post #12 of 23 (2386 views)
Shortcut
You're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the pic Brethil found but do have to photoshop it in my mind so the stones are black and the sky is stormy :)

I'm sure you're right that Tolkien may have thought of Cornwall for Nevrast. I like the stormier images of Bedruthan Steps and the steps and ruins at Tintagel.

Wikipedia lists nine edges in England. Alderley Edge isn't very long, but it is 10 miles from the Peaks so maybe it is a candidate. And Stanage Edge is right on the edge of the Peaks but looks too bleak to be Ithilien for me.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 1:05am

Post #13 of 23 (2379 views)
Shortcut
Alas! I shall defy logic for the bright seas. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 2:02pm

Post #14 of 23 (2300 views)
Shortcut
All of this, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the swans drew the white ships of the Teleri over the windless sea; and thus at last and latest they came to Aman and the shores of Eldamar.

There they dwelt, and if they wished they could see the light of the Trees, and could tread the golden streets of Valmar and the crystal stairs of Tirion upon Túna, the green hill; but most of all they sailed in their swift ships on the waters of the Bay of Elvenhome, or walked in the waves upon the shore with their hair gleaming in the light beyond the hill. Many jewels the Noldor gave them, opals and diamonds and pale crystals, which they strewed upon the shores and scattered in the pools; marvellous were the beaches of Elendë in those days. And many pearls they won for themselves from the sea, and their halls were of pearl, and of pearl were the mansions of Olwë at Alqualondë, the Haven of the Swans, lit with many lamps. For that was their city, and the haven of their ships; and those were made in the likeness of swans, with beaks of gold and eyes of gold and jet. The gate of that harbour was an arch of living rock sea-carved; and it lay upon the confines of Eldamar, north of the Calacirya, where the light of the stars was bright and clear.

Where can I buy my ticket?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 9:45pm

Post #15 of 23 (2272 views)
Shortcut
Then you may find... [In reply to] Can't Post

... noWiz's Pinterest project of the same type interesting. (I hope he doesn't mind me linking to it.)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2015, 12:43am

Post #16 of 23 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Buy me one too, please, // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Then the swans drew the white ships of the Teleri over the windless sea; and thus at last and latest they came to Aman and the shores of Eldamar.

There they dwelt, and if they wished they could see the light of the Trees, and could tread the golden streets of Valmar and the crystal stairs of Tirion upon Túna, the green hill; but most of all they sailed in their swift ships on the waters of the Bay of Elvenhome, or walked in the waves upon the shore with their hair gleaming in the light beyond the hill. Many jewels the Noldor gave them, opals and diamonds and pale crystals, which they strewed upon the shores and scattered in the pools; marvellous were the beaches of Elendë in those days. And many pearls they won for themselves from the sea, and their halls were of pearl, and of pearl were the mansions of Olwë at Alqualondë, the Haven of the Swans, lit with many lamps. For that was their city, and the haven of their ships; and those were made in the likeness of swans, with beaks of gold and eyes of gold and jet. The gate of that harbour was an arch of living rock sea-carved; and it lay upon the confines of Eldamar, north of the Calacirya, where the light of the stars was bright and clear.

Where can I buy my ticket?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 22 2015, 11:11am

Post #17 of 23 (2235 views)
Shortcut
I've done something similar to location scouting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I intermittently come across landscape (mostly) pictures that go with particular Tolkien quotations, and collect them here: https://www.pinterest.com/...-real-life-pictures/

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 22 2015, 9:24pm

Post #18 of 23 (2210 views)
Shortcut
I have another [In reply to] Can't Post

Day was waning. In the last rays of the sun the Riders cast long pointed shadows that went on before them. Darkness had already crept beneath the murmuring fir-woods that clothed the steep mountain-sides. The king rode now slowly at the end of the day. Presently the path turned round a huge bare shoulder of rock and plunged into the gloom of soft-sighing trees. Down, down they went in a long winding file. When at last they came to the bottom of the gorge they found that evening had fallen in the deep places. The sun was gone. Twilight lay upon the waterfalls.

All day far below them a leaping stream had run down from the high pass behind, cleaving its narrow way between pine-clad walls; and now through a stony gate it flowed out and passed into a wider vale. The Riders followed it, and suddenly Harrowdale lay before them, loud with the noise of waters in the evening. There the white Snowbourn, joined by the lesser stream, went rushing, fuming on the stones, down to Edoras and the green hills and the plains. Away to the right at the head of the great dale the mighty Starkhorn loomed up above its vast buttresses swathed in cloud; but its jagged peak, clothed in everlasting snow, gleamed far above the world, blue-shadowed upon the East, red-stained by the sunset in the West.

Merry looked out in wonder upon this strange country, of which he had heard many tales upon their long road. It was a skyless world, in which his eye; through dim gulfs of shadowy air, saw only ever-mounting slopes, great walls of stone behind great walls, and frowning precipices wreathed with mist. He sat for a moment half dreaming, listening to the noise of water, the whisper of dark trees, the crack of stone, and the vast waiting silence that brooded behind all sound.

- The Muster of Rohan, ROTK

There's something about mountains when you've lived your whole life in a country that has none.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 22 2015, 9:25pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 1:19am

Post #19 of 23 (2170 views)
Shortcut
'the murmuring fir-woods' [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely bit. Cool

I don't know if anyone else reads this way - but I note JRRT uses 'fir' a decent number of times as a particular forest description; and I have no idea if it is the auditory association - phonetically like to 'fur', which is also such a rich-sounding word - with texture, or what the reason is, but I always find it very evocative. It makes me think not only of trees but of thick, welcoming trees.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 23 2015, 1:19am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:37am

Post #20 of 23 (2155 views)
Shortcut
I think I know what you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder whether it's because they're evergreen or maybe even because of their association with Christmas.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 12:17pm

Post #21 of 23 (2151 views)
Shortcut
Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

I can say that having grown up in a valley and moved away, I always miss mountains, and when I go back to them, wonder why I ever left (there is a little thing called getting a job, but whatever).

I really like the word use here: the "leaping" stream "run down" , "cleaving". All that activity form the water! So much better than "And there was a pretty stream nearby."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 8:15pm

Post #22 of 23 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

The poet in Tolkien definitely shines through there (and elsewhere in LOTR).

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 23 2015, 8:16pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 9:07pm

Post #23 of 23 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Mount Mayon, The Philippines = Road between Mount Doom and Barad-dûr.

Thule, Greenland = Helcaraxë

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.