The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did the music fit!

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 1:21am

Post #1 of 18 (1982 views)
Shortcut
Did the music fit! Can't Post

Don't know if this was discussed and probably not much to say about it.

But did the music throughout BOFA fit.

I saw it again at our $2 movie theater and I found myself even more paying closer details to the finer things.

The music for the dwarves was hearty and deep. Maybe trumpets

The elves were light and airey. Maybe flutes.

I like the music for the elves when they jumped over the dwarves. It may have been cheesy for some but I enjoyed it.

I believe the music throughout was well done and appropriate.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 2:39am

Post #2 of 18 (1895 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen it three times [In reply to] Can't Post

but we have the soundtrack. I really like the use of the Feast of Starlight theming just because I love that music; and both thematic pieces where the Dwarves are armoring and when they charge from Erebor are very moving and work very well for me and really fit the scenes.

The opening music for Smaug's demise I also think is very well done. You can really tell on the soundtrack just when his eyes go dark.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 9:56am

Post #3 of 18 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Partially great. [In reply to] Can't Post

But also aprtially disappointing.

Some great stuff changed or missing from the OST... and even on the OST there is a lack of moments of grandeur, imho.

The only two moments that reach at least to some extent the level of musical moments such as "The Last March of the Ents" or "The Ride of the Rohirrim", "The Lightning of the Beacons" or "The Fall of Barad-dur" are the moment Bard aims for Smaug over Bain's shoulder and the Dwarves emerging from Erebor.

There are very nice little moments such as the goodbye between Bilbo and the Dwarves.

But moments such as the burning of Lake-town or the death of the three Dwarves, the beginning of the battle or the fight in Dol Guldur were pretty underwhelming and almost uninspired, imho.

When it comes to the big movie soundtracks in history, only few motifs of TH will imho join their famous LotR counterparts. The most recognisable has probably been the Misty Mountains tune (which was over-used in AUJ and for whatever reason missing after that which imho is really unfortunate). Smaug, the Woodland Realm and Thorin's themes are also pretty recognisable... but nothing compared to the Fellowship's theme, the RotK theme, the Rohan and Gondor themes, etc .

Not always because of the themes but also because of their use (often rather in the background, some totally over-used and with much less variation, imho).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 20 2015, 10:00am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 20 2015, 10:28am

Post #4 of 18 (1792 views)
Shortcut
I think the elven theme you liked was Dain's theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

When the elves jump over the dwarves Dain's theme plays. On the soundtrack it's played on bagpipes

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 20 2015, 10:56am

Post #5 of 18 (1783 views)
Shortcut
It's the Woodland Realm theme [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film it breaks up the grand rendition of Dain's theme as heard in 'Battle for the Mountain'. That particular Woodland Realm statement is not on the soundtrack, presumably for reasons of listening experience, since it does break up the momentum somewhat.

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 1:00pm

Post #6 of 18 (1749 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have never thought that it was bagpipes playing for that particular theme.

I never considered buying a soundtrack to a movie it hadn't ever crossed my mind. Did they use the same music sound company from the LOTR? If not then could explain why there is such a difference.

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 1:31pm

Post #7 of 18 (1731 views)
Shortcut
I can see where you're coming from. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in a vacuum, the BotFA OST is the same quality and has the same amount of detail as any LotR soundtrack. The difference comes in where LotR had 'moments of grandeur' in the actual films that remain unmatched which allowed the music to really follow suit.

There simply was no scene like "The Last March of the Ents" or "The Ride of the Rohirrim", "The Lightning of the Beacons" or "The Fall of Barad-dur" in the Hobbit movies. I feel like my biggest disappointment from the Hobbit is that there was potential there to have moments at least close to those scenes, but it never really fully developed, and it felt like succinctness was always given priority over grandeur.

Regardless, after listening to the soundtrack many times, it has really grown on me (I was a huge fan to begin with) to the point where I have it on the same pedestal as LotR, it just gets there in different ways.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 1:49pm

Post #8 of 18 (1716 views)
Shortcut
That is what I meant. [In reply to] Can't Post

Scenes such as the death scenes, the burning of Lake-town and especially Dol Guldur all had the potential but were not fully developed - the music being one of the aspects that simply weren't on par IMHO.

No make no mistake - I knew from the start that TH wouldn't have as many "moments of grandeur" due to its nature and story. But I never expected them to not fully tap the potential of these scenes... for my personal liking.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 20 2015, 3:17pm

Post #9 of 18 (1682 views)
Shortcut
misty mountains theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would have been perfect time to revisit "Misty Mountains" theme when dwarves blast out of ruined Erebor gates. Durins folk theme worked too but "Misty Mountains" would have suited as our company dwarves were together one last time.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 4:27pm

Post #10 of 18 (1656 views)
Shortcut
Agree with: [In reply to] Can't Post

believe the music throughout was well done and appropriate.

I don't know enough about music to really comment in detail, but I do remember thinking the music was greatSmile - something
that struck me more than DOS' music - (often, not always, as I loved the faint chiming in DOS re Bilbo and Smaug.Heart)

One moment in particular when the 4 dwarves are approaching Erebor - I think that's "Thorin's Theme"? - it's brief
but just seemed mournful and majestic and perfect for that moment.

And the notes? chords? when Bilbo is going down the rope to give away the Arekenstone. And Dain's arrival.Heart

Overall, I'd say I appreciated BOFA's music more than DOS - which is not to be negative about DOS, it just didn't strike me as much,
most of the time. And as always, across three movies, the use of sound - or not - to me is completely stellar.HeartHeartHeart

One moment that strikes me is the sigh of the wind and faint flapping of pennants from that enormous elven
army as Thorin bows his head on the wall "the Arkenstone for what was promised?!" - I think that adds, for me, much
to the bleakness of the moment. Until the raven appearsHeart ...

Glad you made the post - just something more to look forward to, having the disks in hand.SmileTongue

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 18 (1627 views)
Shortcut
Your Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel,

Yeah I was not even sure if any had posted a thread regarding the music themes throughout. I had check back through and did not see any so I thought to speak about it.Smile
I really did not pay attention to the music until I went back the very last time. I got so caught up in the characters and the movie itself. Did not take the time to listen the themes until now.
Yes, can't wait until the EE edition. Still trying to decide if I'm going to get any of the Special Editions or just wait for the EE.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2015, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 18 (1611 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually watched that moment with the Misty Mountains theme playing at the same time, and it works very well. Before the movie or the soundtrack came out, I was crossing my fingers for that to be the one time we hear the theme after its long absence. But deep down I knew it wouldn't happen.Frown

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 18 (1521 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves approaching Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the House of Durin theme followed by Erebor's theme at the end. I agree with you that it's a short, but great music moment (i'd say it's actually my favorite bit of all 3 Hobbit scores). It sounds so somber but also very grand and powerful, and it perfectly captures the tone and feel of the entire BOFA score in my opinion.

I've said it before, but i think the implementation of the music in the Hobbit movies simply wasn't as good as in LOTR, which i believe is a big reason why lots of people may have been a bit disappointed with the music in general. Lots of great, important scenes in the movies could've been much more memorable to the general audience if they simply upped the volume of the music a bit more (for example, the dwarves charging out of Erebor in BOFA, or most of Bilbo's conversation with Smaug).

That being said, i'm pretty happy with the usage of music in BOFA overall. My only real complaints are that Smaug's death scene had no music and that the music when the dwarves charged out of Erebor was a bit too quiet and drowned out by the sound effects. I also didn't like how they chopped up the Nature+eagles theme, but i still have a bit of hope that we may get more of that in the EE.

So in short, i love the Hobbit scores equally as much as the LOTR scores, but they used the music in LOTR to greater effect than in The Hobbit.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 21 2015, 12:22am

Post #14 of 18 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Official preview of Dain's bagpipe theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/ms9NchkyGCc

Can't link you to the full track because of copyright. But there's a nice legal preview.

I definitely recommend listening to the soundtracks because there are lots of themes that were cut or changed. Gandalf and Radagast both have beautiful themes and the eagles have an alternative (and equally beautiful) theme on the soundtrack.

I don't think they are the same company. The Hobbit soundtracks are by WaterTower, which I think is owner by Time Warner. I don't know who did LotR, it may have been Warner too.

That said, there are differences in LotR's soundtracks too, but they're not quite as dramatic.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 12:23am

Post #15 of 18 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Decisions, decisions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, can't wait until the EE edition. Still trying to decide if I'm going to get any of the Special Editions or just wait for the EE.

For me, I always get the TE because I just can't wait that longTongue, to have the disks. And with DOS, as it turned out, it was great to have both - tho hafta admit I watch the DOS EE mostly, now. (But I AM trying to wait on the WETA books until the next BOFA Chronicles book comes out, which is hard reading other people commenting on the books!Tongue)

Re the music - there are pieces of music in all three movie that I like - but I think DOS - for me - often had the least that REALLY struck me - as someone who knows very little about music. That doesn't, again, mean bad, for me. But I really noticed BOFA's musicHeart - I think all the more impressive with the flow of it with such a fast-paced film.

And I can completely understand being so caught up in the charactersSmile that a person would have to need the space? or time to refocus on the music. It's actually comments on TORn that kind of jogged me into listening more to the scores, although some pieces have always struck me, even back to LOTR - the chords? Eowyn standing, looking into the distance. The lighting of the beacons.

And for the Hobbit films, with the music, Misty Mountains in Bag EndHeartHeartHeart. And the prophecy reading "the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone..."HeartHeartHeart. And the dwarves hiking along the ridge line of the mountains. And the eagles.

LOL, sounds as tho I need to buy the soundtracks at some point.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 12:43am

Post #16 of 18 (1462 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the House of Durin theme followed by Erebor's theme at the end.

I always feel wistful that that whole scene wasn't a bit longer - partly BECAUSE of that themeHeart.

This:

It sounds so somber but also very grand and powerful, and it perfectly captures the tone and feel of the entire BOFA score in my opinion.

Because I love these characters and so I think about them - and would have liked the four dwarves to have had a bit more time, coming to Erebor - WITH that wonderful theme music.

But - I can see from a director's view, we have already seen Thorin & co. hike to Erebor, and how many long hikes do you want to keep showing the audienceLaugh? And I can imagine that same theme will be used in the EE *crosses fingers*.

Lots of great, important scenes in the movies could've been much more memorable to the general audience if they simply upped the volume of the music a bit more (for example, the dwarves charging out of Erebor in BOFA, or most of Bilbo's conversation with Smaug).

Perhaps the music was just an end result of pacing these movies differently - overall, for me, faster paced, often, than LOTR. And if so, I think it was deliberate on PJ's part (BOFA and DOS we know for sure were edited that way - especially BOFA). But agree with you in that I notice, for instance, the music IMO where Laketown is being overrun, and Bard is telling everyone to fall back, is really good - but the editing is so tight, it is hard for me to "sink into" the tragedy of what is going on - but all those scenes in sequence w. the music is terrific stuff, it's just moving too fast for me e.g. shots go from Thranduil to Gandalf, to Bard, to elves, to Laketowners.

It'll be one good reason to have the TE, to be able to linger and replay.

PS. I love Dain's theme, too when he arrives - IMO all of that music was perfect.Heart Such an amazing moment, for me.Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 12:47am

Post #17 of 18 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow - thanks for posting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Different from the film - but just EPIC-sounding! And IMO definitely DWARVISH.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2015, 2:33am

Post #18 of 18 (1443 views)
Shortcut
such a great theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I seems like every time I got really excited about a specific piece of music, it didn't end up in the movie itself (the credits don't count).

1. Radagast's full theme
2. The Erebor bonus track for AUJ with the bagpipes
3. one of Bilbo's themes, it was only used maybe two times in the whole trilogy (it's part of the A Very Respectable Hobbit track)
4. Ironfoot/Dain's full theme

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.