The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I am surprised it is still playing at two suburban locations

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 1:11am

Post #1 of 16 (1458 views)
Shortcut
I am surprised it is still playing at two suburban locations Can't Post

I don't remember how long AUJ and DOS were in theaters but BOFA is still playing at two suburban theaters.

I wonder when the last date will be?

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 20 2015, 1:12am)

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 1:27am

Post #2 of 16 (1394 views)
Shortcut
Still here! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still playing at some of our major theaters here also but with limited time slots.

It's at our $2 movie theater now but with only 2 time slots. I went to see it again yesterday. It'll probably for us this week or next week it'll be gone from the theaters completely.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:13am

Post #3 of 16 (1341 views)
Shortcut
According to Box Office Mojo... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's still playing in over 200 theatres in North America. (http://boxofficemojo.com/...y&id=hobbit3.htm)

AUJ was in cinemas till April 25, 2013 (having opened on December 14, 2012) and DOS till April 17, 2014 (having opened on December 13, 2013).

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 6:01pm

Post #4 of 16 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Small takes but it all adds up.... [In reply to] Can't Post

March 6-12 - $318,688 -23.7% / 291 theaters -13 / $1,095 = avg

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 6:56pm

Post #5 of 16 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Correction [In reply to] Can't Post

In 144 theatres, as of March 20. (http://boxofficemojo.com/...amp;wk=12&p=.htm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 9:37pm

Post #6 of 16 (1234 views)
Shortcut
We are in the afterglow.....two more weeks probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Mar 21 2015, 3:46pm

Post #7 of 16 (1150 views)
Shortcut
There's still time! [In reply to] Can't Post

If we just get 30 or 40 million people to go see it at the dollar theaters this weekend we can get it past $1 billion! Crazy

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:06pm

Post #8 of 16 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Box office update [In reply to] Can't Post

BOFA has passed the $955 million mark!

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit3.htm

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:11pm

Post #9 of 16 (1031 views)
Shortcut
That is probably the last large number change that we can expect. [In reply to] Can't Post

All in all, the studio has to be pleased with the results.
Some films sink right away but this trilogy had legs and despite all our personal qualms, objections, preferences etc. it has done very well and must have had good word of mouth to keep it going when many films disappear after 3 weeks.

For example, Sean Penn and Liam Neeson have bombed with their latest films (I suspect a lot has to do with alienating your target audience). Both films will disappear quickly.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 23 2015, 9:14pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 4:03pm

Post #10 of 16 (919 views)
Shortcut
It is gone now! [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 5:22pm

Post #11 of 16 (917 views)
Shortcut
It's now down to... [In reply to] Can't Post

... 85 theatres in North America.

http://boxofficemojo.com/...amp;wk=13&p=.htm

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 16 (903 views)
Shortcut
Wow, so close! [In reply to] Can't Post

So close to $1 billion! But still such great numbers. Yay Smile!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 11:52pm

Post #13 of 16 (898 views)
Shortcut
Still playing... [In reply to] Can't Post

BO5A in 3D HFR is still playing once a day in one theater in Helsinki, Finland. Cool Even if hardly anyone buys tickets anymore - the opening was 10th December, so it's been on for almost four months.

I just got to thinking if this is unusual or if it's still playing around the world, just more seldom, in smaller theaters.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 12:06am

Post #14 of 16 (894 views)
Shortcut
That is a long time for a first run theater. It depends quite a bit on what other films are [In reply to] Can't Post

becoming available and the number of screens etc. With the Blu Ray out I wonder if this will be the last week.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 8:22am

Post #15 of 16 (869 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

There are about 10 screens in that theater, new films appearing every week with the main focus in blockbusters and "the most talked about" or presumably successful films. Apparently they have been confident with the Hobbit's success when it's been given such a long run.

BO5A is not released for DVD/Blu-ray here until April 22, so maybe that's why it's still playing and seems to be for the next week at least, so it will go over the four months' limit.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 2:44pm

Post #16 of 16 (862 views)
Shortcut
I have just noticed the change in posting titles - Sailing Master, Able Seaman etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess, we have left the shores of Middle Earth and are on our way to Valinor.......fitting with the end of the films for the foreseeable future.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 1 2015, 2:44pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.