The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did Tolkien meant that literally?

Nerven
Rivendell

Mar 18 2015, 6:03pm

Post #1 of 16 (1968 views)
Shortcut
Did Tolkien meant that literally? Can't Post

When he said that Galadriels hair was golden and shot with silver, was he referring to the metal? Or when Melian sang that everyone in Aman could hear it? Or that Manwe hears everything what happens in Arda and Varda sees everything (or was it the other way round?)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2015, 6:43pm

Post #2 of 16 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Yup. Probably. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 18 2015, 7:11pm

Post #3 of 16 (1909 views)
Shortcut
As sure as Balrog wings! / [In reply to] Can't Post

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

squire
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 16 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a scene in Unfinished Tales where Galadriel mentions in passing where she learned the formula for polishing and buffing her metallic hair. Turns out it was, yep, Feanor.

Melian had a primitive version of what we'd call a radio network. AM for what it's worth, with simple but effective crystal receivers used by the most of the Free Peoples based analogically on the Silmarils, but Tolkien plays all that down because he didn't like to emphasize the Elves' technological achievements.

Manwe and Varda could see and hear everything because, get this, it's hard to believe: they're like, well, gods.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2015, 3:19am

Post #5 of 16 (1867 views)
Shortcut
the colour I would say [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When he said that Galadriels hair was golden and shot with silver, was he referring to the metal?

In drafts Galadriel's hair was white (the word in white is "white"), then it became golden in The Lord of the Rings, then became, at least according to later description, golden shot with silver.

letter 349 1973: here Tolkien notes how Galadriel got her secondary name in her youth: '... she had long hair which glistened like gold but was also shot with silver. She was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats.'

Which I would guess relates to the longer passage...
'... it was golden like the hair of her father and of her foremother Indis, but richer and more radiant, for its gold was touched by some memory of the starlike silver of her mother; and the Eldar said that the light of the Two Trees, Laurelin and Telperion, had been snared in her tresses."

JRRT, The Shibboleth of Feanor

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 1:04pm

Post #6 of 16 (1829 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 19 2015, 2:50pm

Post #7 of 16 (1805 views)
Shortcut
If we can have metallic dragons [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not metallic hair?
Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 3:28pm

Post #8 of 16 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Might be a problem.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in thunderstorms! Shocked

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 19 2015, 3:43pm

Post #9 of 16 (1794 views)
Shortcut
The hair or the dragons? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or both?
Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2015, 3:53pm

Post #10 of 16 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Maltafindil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe... but in any case: a question about Galadriel and hair colour in the same post?

Is it my birthday? Wink

(This post was edited by Elthir on Mar 19 2015, 3:54pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 4:19pm

Post #11 of 16 (1782 views)
Shortcut
That would depend.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. on whether the metal dragons were on rubber tracks or tyres, or were wearing wellingtons. (Galadriel, as we know, being barefoot Wink )

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 19 2015, 4:35pm

Post #12 of 16 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Did you edit this post ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to change "color" to "colour"?

Happy birthday! (Or unbirthday, as it were.)

The Hall of Fire

Elthir
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2015, 11:41pm

Post #13 of 16 (1735 views)
Shortcut
I edited my post to change... [In reply to] Can't Post

... -findel to -findil in the subject.

Ha, I like the word "unbirthday". Thank you! And I usually spell the colour "grey" rather than "gray" Wink

I know that last line makes no sense... but it sorta does, maybe.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 3:46am

Post #14 of 16 (1715 views)
Shortcut
The scary thing [In reply to] Can't Post

is that the last line made perfect sense to me!

The Hall of Fire

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2015, 4:45am

Post #15 of 16 (1707 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 7:47pm

Post #16 of 16 (1269 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, when Tolkien referred to Galadriel's hair as being "golden and shot with silver", my theory is that he meant (quite obviously) that Galadriel's hair was golden, but you gathered as much already, and...

Well, it was mentioned a few times throughout The Silmarillion etc. that "the light of the Two Trees, Telperion and Laurelin, were snared in her [Galadriel's] tresses". That may be what Tolkien was referring to. It's a reasonable enough guess, anyways!

As to Melian's singing...I don't really know. Tolkien can be really confusing sometimes. Maybe he meant some of his writings and ideas to be rather un-understandable (not a word, but whatever!). =)

No thoughts whatsoever on the last one(s)..........Tongue

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

(This post was edited by Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion on Apr 8 2015, 7:50pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.