Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle-earth March Madness - Round 1 Bracket - Vote Now!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 18 2015, 6:02am

Post #1 of 23 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth March Madness - Round 1 Bracket - Vote Now! Can't Post

The 2015 edition of Middle-earth Madness officially starts today! We've split our field of 64 characters and objects into four divisions: The Silmarillion,The Hobbit,The Lord of the Rings and The Others.

This is a brand new format for the competition this year - implemented to encourage interesting match-ups, intriguing final four and ultimately education on the breadth of works from our favorite author, J.R.R. Tolkien.

A note on how the bracket combatants were determined. TheOneRing.net created a document containing all combatants, sub divided into divisions. We asked staff to cast sixteen votes per division, with the votes having a weight of 1-4. Each staffer cast four 4 votes, four 3 votes, four 2 votes and four 1 votes in each division. We then totalled all the votes from each division to determine their rank, and ultimately placed those into our bracket for seeding.

As you can imagine, our staff is diverse and the results were very interesting! What was very exciting when creating the bracket was the realization that we have some amazing and story related match-ups in this first round.

Voting in Round 1 will remain open until March 21st at 10pm ET. At that point, we'll calculate the winners and post the next round on March 22nd. Follow after the break for a complete bracket image (download it), and to vote on all of our Round 1 match-ups! Round 1 Bracket]

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 18 2015, 8:13pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 18 2015, 6:33pm

Post #2 of 23 (1500 views)
Shortcut
no feanor, really???!!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 18 2015, 6:35pm

Post #3 of 23 (1487 views)
Shortcut
heads up... both links go to the bracket image... there's no wsy to vote. // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2015, 8:13pm

Post #4 of 23 (1489 views)
Shortcut
Fixed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the heads-up! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 9:29pm

Post #5 of 23 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Poor Talking Wallet is flagging it seems... [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 9:32pm

Post #6 of 23 (1477 views)
Shortcut
He's too strong a starter maybe... *waves hullo* [In reply to] Can't Post

no feanor, really???!!!!!!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 9:56pm

Post #7 of 23 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Voted! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 9:59pm

Post #8 of 23 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Poor Daniel will be devastated. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 18 2015, 10:01pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 10:05pm

Post #9 of 23 (1458 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my thoughts, BF. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we can do a 'Penguins in the Fog' thread next week to cheer him up.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 10:19pm

Post #10 of 23 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel, if you're reading this, remember you're not alone! We're here for you.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 18 2015, 10:27pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 12:53am

Post #11 of 23 (1432 views)
Shortcut
He,HE, He...DLB's Constant OBSESSION [In reply to] Can't Post

with the TALKING PURSE..?

Has been SSOoo Fun....

Bom hopes they DON'T
Make
Purses out of
Penguin..?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 1:11am

Post #12 of 23 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Bom Voted for the Purse..// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 2:46am

Post #13 of 23 (1423 views)
Shortcut
THAT would truly be terrible! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bom hopes they DON'T
Make
Purses out of
Penguin..?

I voted for the Wallet/Purse thingy too. Cool

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 19 2015, 11:31am

Post #14 of 23 (1377 views)
Shortcut
RALLY TO EOWYN!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

people, my tornsibs --- eowyn deserves more loyalty!!!!!

courageous, strong, willing to follow her own path, willing to go against the flow.... fiercely independent!!!

not to mention there are only six females on this list!!!!

and, as long as we're at it, let us rally to melian!!! she kept +morgoth+ out of doriath for thousands of years -- nevermind +sauron+.

come +on+!!!!

cheers!!!

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 19 2015, 11:33am

Post #15 of 23 (1376 views)
Shortcut
waves back -- hullo! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 19 2015, 12:54pm

Post #16 of 23 (1370 views)
Shortcut
So did I -- I want it to win // [In reply to] Can't Post

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 12:58pm

Post #17 of 23 (1367 views)
Shortcut
And even more shockingly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... no Thinking Fox! Frown

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 19 2015, 7:08pm

Post #18 of 23 (1324 views)
Shortcut
My first March Madness! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have no ideal who some of those characters were but it was fun just picking them and seeing the results Smile

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 19 2015, 9:56pm

Post #19 of 23 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Here's who I voted for... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I won't include everyone, since that list would be too long. Thorin (obviously, but I don't think they should have put him up against Thranduil, due to what happened last year), all of the dragons (Smaug, Ancalagon and Glaurung), the One Ring (never cared for Aragorn much), Ungoliant (I even think Shelob and the spiders of Mirkwood are cool), and every dwarf (even Dain, whom I'm still not sure about. He kind of reminds me a bit of Gimli from LotR). Speaking of dwarves, I had a little trouble deciding between Balin and Dwalin (since I like them both), but I ended up voting for Dwalin, since he's more badass (got to love those badass dwarves). Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron/The Necromancer, Beorn and Elrond are some other characters I voted for. Good thing they didn't put Sauron up against the One Ring, since that would have been tough. Even though I'm more into dwarves, I still have some favorites amongst the villains (like the dragons, for instance).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:07am

Post #20 of 23 (1270 views)
Shortcut
We're attracting attention! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/...-earth-march-madness

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 7:03pm

Post #21 of 23 (1234 views)
Shortcut
The poor wallet is getting slaughtered! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

And the comments in the news section are as full of "if you don't agree with me, you're wrong and you need to shut up" as the forums are. Tongue

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 11:46am

Post #22 of 23 (1088 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea how these work [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can cheer you on!!!

GO TEAMS, GO!!!!! :D

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2015, 3:16pm

Post #23 of 23 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Fans of the Hair, Thorin is falling behind! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rally to the poll!

To computer, to keyboard!

Our leader is in distress!

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.