Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
My theory: Why they couldn't use the eagles...

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 18 2015, 1:27am

Post #1 of 2 (1342 views)
Shortcut
My theory: Why they couldn't use the eagles... Can't Post

So yeah. We've all heard it "Why didn't they just fly the eagles to Mount Doom and drop the ring in?" Aside from the very valid "They're not taxis" and "Sauron would've seen them coming". I have my own theory that I'd like to put forward.

"The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume"
In order to breed his vast army of orcs Sauron created a thick, black smog that shelters all of Mordor from the debilitating effects of the sun. This smog, while harmless to orcs, is nausiating and potentially deadly to other races (just as the sun is to orcs and trolls). The eagles would likely not be able to see through this smog and would have been dizzy, weak and unable to fly through it.

When Frodo and Sam reach Mordor Sauron has dispersed most of these fumes in order to create safe passage for the orcs marching to Gondor. This makes it easier for the hobbits to breathe, and at ground level it is much easier for them to see through the remaining mist.

By the time Aragorn marches on the Black Gate Sauron has emptied Mordor enough for the eagles to safely occupy the air. Sam can even see the stars because the smog is so thin. And after Sauron's fall the Eagles are finally able to get right up to the mountain. As we see in the eagle scene, the smog has cleared enough to see the sun breaking through the clouds.

Hope I haven't made any mistakes, because I think this works quite well. Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2015, 1:12am

Post #2 of 2 (1044 views)
Shortcut
well now [In reply to] Can't Post

that is something I hadn't thought of!

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.