The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Ori, Dori, and Nori not brothers??

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Mar 17 2015, 6:15pm

Post #1 of 3 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Ori, Dori, and Nori not brothers?? Can't Post

In The Hobbit, I always assumed that Dori, Nori, and Ori were all brothers. After all, like Balin and Dwalin, Oin and Gloin, and Fíli and Kíli, their names all rhyme, and the aforementioned pairings are all brothers. However, in his 1966 notes (source: The History of the Hobbit: One Volume Edition, p. 900), JRR Tolkien wrote that Ori was the cousin of Nori and Dori (who were brothers). This sort of makes sense. Nori and Dori both have purple hoods but Ori has a grey one (also from 1966 notes). Ori goes to Moria, but Nori and Dori don't. Nori and Dori are the two who share Bilbo's opinions on food, but not Ori....thoughts anybody?

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Mar 17 2015, 6:18pm

Post #2 of 3 (1750 views)
Shortcut
Almost Forgot [In reply to] Can't Post

....Also, in other drafts, Tolkien had Nori and Dori (not Ori) guarding the tunnel leading from Ravenhill to the Mountain. Tolkien later scratched the idea of the tunnel, and thus guards weren't needed.

This also makes sense because of the relationship between Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur. You have two brothers and a cousin.

(This post was edited by AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar on Mar 17 2015, 6:21pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Mar 17 2015, 7:52pm

Post #3 of 3 (1725 views)
Shortcut
Dori, Nori, and Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

I know in the movies they're suppose to be half-brothers. In the bonus features of AUJ it is said a backstory was created that Dori, Nori, and Ori all have the same mother but different fathers.

However, until now, I was under the impression all three were full-brothers in the book. So this is very intriguing.

Though, I'm not sure this explains why Ori went to Moria without Dori and Nori since Balin and Oin also go without their brothers. Also, I don't think it explains the different colored hoods since the only brothers with matching hoods were Dori and Nori (purple) and Fili and Kili (blue). Cousins Bifur and Bofur had yellow matching hoods.

As for the similar sounding names, again not sure if it's valid, because IMO Bifur and Bofur sound more alike than Bofur and Bombur.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.