Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Congrats to RA for his Olivier Award nomination!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2015, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 13 (646 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to RA for his Olivier Award nomination! Can't Post

Richard Armitage has been nominated for the Olivier Award for Best Actor for his role in The Crucible! It's apparently available for digital download, although I don't 'do' digital downloads, so will have to wait and hope it either gets onto a DVD or comes to an indi theater here. I'm so glad for RA's nomination; it couldn't happen to a nicer gentleman and actor!

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/...the-crucible-prepare

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 17 2015, 8:10pm

Post #2 of 13 (591 views)
Shortcut
Old News... [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't going to be made available on DVD. They are quite categorical about that on Digitaltheatre's web site (and the clue is in the name).

I did post about both of these pieces of news several days ago Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2015, 8:50pm

Post #3 of 13 (581 views)
Shortcut
Purchased the digital copy this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to watch it this evening! Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2015, 9:51pm

Post #4 of 13 (576 views)
Shortcut
Sorry...I guess I'm behind the times on these boards [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean to be redundant to anyone else's post. I don't look at the boards every day, so this was news to me, and I just thought I'd share it.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 17 2015, 9:53pm

Post #5 of 13 (566 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd missed that bit of news!

Thanks for sharing!Smile

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 17 2015, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 13 (564 views)
Shortcut
I don't do digital downloads, either... [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least not until I get a new computer. My computer's too old for the Internet, so I'm either on public computers or my parents' computer (they have three; a desktop, a laptop and an ipad or ipod, I'm not sure which). I pretty much have to upgrade all of my technology, since the only thing that's technically mine is my DVD player, since I bought it. Everything else is a family member's old one once they get a new one. If only I could win the lottery, but I do enter a lot of contests to win some of this stuff. Unfortunately, I haven't won any of it yet (but I keep trying, since you never know).Smile

Congratulations to RA for the nomination anyway, since it's about time he got recognized for something (even if he doesn't win, since I find it an honor even to be nominated).

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 17 2015, 10:15pm

Post #7 of 13 (557 views)
Shortcut
Lovely news. Good for him! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2015, 11:09pm

Post #8 of 13 (545 views)
Shortcut
I didn't go back to the digital release thread once I saw the date [In reply to] Can't Post

So I never read about the Olivier Award.

Congratulations to Richard! He's in some amazing company.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2015, 10:42pm

Post #9 of 13 (499 views)
Shortcut
Watched The Crucible last night [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched The Crucible last night on Digital Theatre and it was fantastic - every bit as good as all the reviews said it was. What an amazing play, and the entire cast was wonderful. Recommend it for anyone who wants to watch really good theater.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 4:46am

Post #10 of 13 (459 views)
Shortcut
Great new review of the digital release [In reply to] Can't Post

http://vodzilla.co/...rucible-the-old-vic/

Can't wait to be able to see this award-nominated performance! Unfortunately, my brother extended his trip to Monday, which means I can't watch it til Monday night. Ack! the waiting is killing me! And then my BOFA BR will arrive, so I'll have all kinds of viewings next week. Smile

#OneLastTime

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 11:55am

Post #11 of 13 (449 views)
Shortcut
I Saw It... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the theatre, then at the cinema - I'm hanging on to watch the download when I'm not so busy. But it was utterly brilliant and well woth the stupid price we paid for the theatre tickets.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2015, 12:12pm

Post #12 of 13 (444 views)
Shortcut
Lucky you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know envy is bad, but I admit I'm very envious of people that got to see it in the theater. It was so powerful on a TV screen that I can hardly imagine what the theater experience must have been like. What an amazing production.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 24 2015, 10:23pm

Post #13 of 13 (344 views)
Shortcut
My review of The Crucible *small spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m going to do my review in 3 parts: the play itself, this particular production, and the Digital Theatre recording.

The play:
First, a confession: I don’t particularly like dramatic plays in general, and The Crucible in particular. The hysteria that permeates the majority of the play starts to get on my nerves (although I’m sure that’s the point). In addition, the actors have to project their voices in order to be heard in the theater, but the effect (especially in a production where they were miked for the recording) meant that it felt like they were SHOUTING for practically the entire play.

This production:
That being said, even I can acknowledge that this production was very well done. The staging and production values were very evocative and effective. They did a lot with minimal set dressing and lighting that made the stage feel like different settings with each act. The costumes were all pretty drab, and when the women had their heads covered, sometimes it was hard to identify them, especially the girls.

Richard Armitage was excellent as expected. It was interesting to see how he fit in seamlessly as a member of the ensemble, yet stood out due to his innate presence. There was a slow build that really exploded in the 4th and final act. I can fully understand why after every performance, when he’d cleaned up and went out to the stage door to greet the fans, he felt like curling up in a ball and crying. It was a very intense performance, that he had to maintain for 12 weeks and I’m amazed and impressed that he was able to perform at that level for so long.

I also enjoyed the performance of Adrian Schiller as Reverend Hale. He had a very quiet, yet powerful presence.

The one performance I had a hard time with was Elizabeth Proctor. I’m not sure if this was due to how the character was written, or specific choices made by the actor and/or director. But almost every time she spoke, she…paused…in…between…almost….every…single…word until it became really distracting. I’m assuming this was a deliberate choice to help emphasize the fact that she was still getting over her illness. She came across as still physically in pain and restricted in her movements, so I’m wondering if the manner of speech was meant to portray this as well, like she had to fight for breath every time she spoke. However, to me it had the effect of portraying her as rather slow-witted, which didn’t feel right.

Digital Theatre:
They did an excellent job with this video recording. It wasn’t just a camera pointed at a stage recording the play. It felt like a production actually made for television/movie viewing. There were lots of close-ups and angle changes to make it very intimate. I actually would have liked a few more wide-shots to get a little more of the bigger picture and see what was happening with some of the characters that were in the background and weren’t speaking.

#OneLastTime

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.