The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
LOTR March Madness

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2015, 9:38pm

Post #1 of 11 (1321 views)
Shortcut
LOTR March Madness Can't Post

Is TOR.n doing their March Madness bracket this year? Has become a bit of a tradition this time of year around here!

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 16 2015, 9:42pm

Post #2 of 11 (1294 views)
Shortcut
yes. It should be up in a day or two. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...h-madness-is-coming/

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 16 2015, 9:42pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 18 2015, 3:34pm

Post #3 of 11 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Madness is up now. find link inside [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theonering.net/...-1-bracket-vote-now/

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 18 2015, 3:45pm

Post #4 of 11 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Multiple votes? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can click on both Beren and Túrin (et al.), rather than just voting for one or the other. Should that be changed?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2015, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 11 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Probably :) [In reply to] Can't Post

We need to send this to Calisuri.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19 2015, 12:32am

Post #6 of 11 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Should be fixed now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us know if you see anything else!

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2015, 1:29pm

Post #7 of 11 (1151 views)
Shortcut
well...the rankings [In reply to] Can't Post

are way off.....it has Sauron ranked as a 9 and Arwen as an 8? Sauron, imho, if we are doing a March Madness bracket, should be a #1 easy......but if folks don't care about the way the rankings work, then no worries.

Twitter - @DonryFetor
Instagram - donryfetor

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 19 2015, 1:49pm

Post #8 of 11 (1153 views)
Shortcut
by what criteria are you ranking? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean... power? prestige? attractiveness? popularity? empathy?

I honestly don't know how one could come up with a ranking system that would please everyone. (Believe me... no matter much one approach makes complete sense to one person, there will be someone else who disagrees.) So why even try? And if we declared that the intention was to vote by 'power' ... do you think everyone would adhere to that? No way.

So... why not just make it a fun, go for it, fly by the seat of your pants, vote how your heart tells you activity?

I think using a March Madness bracket activity for pop culture has evolved way past the original basketball ranking system.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 19 2015, 1:50pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2015, 2:07pm

Post #9 of 11 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Agreed that [In reply to] Can't Post

it is difficult to rank them....I was looking at power or importance mostly but it is completely subjective. If we aren't not worried about rank/seeding, why use the numbers next to the name at all? Unless it is necessary with the program? Just seems that if we aren't assigning a rank or seed, then there isn't any need for the numbers at all....they just go in an assigned bracket and that's that....

Anyway, just a thought.

Twitter - @DonryFetor
Instagram - donryfetor

(This post was edited by Donry on Mar 19 2015, 2:10pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 19 2015, 2:14pm

Post #10 of 11 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Because... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's fun watching underdogs win.

No ranks/seeds, no underdogs.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 19 2015, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 11 (1127 views)
Shortcut
I think it may have to do with the program [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't understand how this works so I'm not a good person to answer that.

There is a ranking. Those names were ranked by staff. I believe it's explained in the article how that ranking was achieved.

It's just that the criteria for ranking was completely subjective from staff person to staff person and from category to category.

For example, my 4-point-votes each went to my favorite characters in the category. I love Hurin because of that quote of his when fighting Orcs. I voted for Maedhros because he sang when all looked forlorn. I voted for Glorfindel because I love the bells on his horse. I voted for Beorn because he kept bees. And I voted for Gil-Galad because I love the song about him.

For my 3-point-votes, I tended to vote for any woman in the category because there are so few women in general, I wanted to do my part in getting some of them in the bracket. If there weren't 4 women in a category, they went to more of my favorites.

For my 2-point-votes, I tended to vote for people who weren't high in my personal favorites list but I felt were worthy nonetheless.

For my 1-point votes, I voted for villians. I acknowledge they add some spice and drama to the competition. And I knew there would be other staffers putting their 4-point-votes to those bad boys and girls.

So, after we all voted, some characters had really high scores and some had zero. There was more than one character for whom I was the only one that voted.

So, when Calisuri set up the bracket, he ranked them by how the staff ranked them. But that ranking was achieved through anarchy. So there for, the only way to play is with anarchy. Everyone makes up their own criteria for voting. :-)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.