Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone want to Speculate about long Expected Funeral Scene..?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 12:18pm

Post #1 of 25 (2233 views)
Shortcut
Anyone want to Speculate about long Expected Funeral Scene..? Can't Post

Could, Should be ONE of the Most Wondrous
Scenes..in all
SIX Films.

An Amazing Resolution to the World of Dwarves
as we Say "Namarie" to PJFWPB.zzz Version of
MiddleEARTH...

Bom would like to sit back &
watch you
Wonderful
Word-smiths craft some
Writing
Worth all the Gold in Erebor.

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Shagrat
Gondor

Mar 16 2015, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 25 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Excited about the music [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm expecting something spectacular, driven by Thorin and/or the House of Durin theme, with strong yet sombre choral elements.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 1:17pm

Post #3 of 25 (2070 views)
Shortcut
funeral scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't expect it to be a long scene, maybe only a minute with little to no dialogue. It would be really nice to hear a slow, sad version of the Misty Mountains theme as Thorin/Fili/Kili are laid to rest. I'm sure we will see Thorin placed in a tomb with the Arkenstone too. We'll likely see some nice, lingering closeups of Beorn, Bard, Bilbo, Gandalf, etc. Probably Tauriel bawling her eyes out because of Kili, of course.

I really can't believe they did not include this in the theatrical version. This was deliberate withholding on the part of the filmmakers.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 16 2015, 1:46pm

Post #4 of 25 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I really can't believe they did not include this in the theatrical version. This was deliberate withholding on the part of the filmmakers.

One of the most mind-boggling decisions when it comes to BotFA imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Thrain II
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 2:17pm

Post #5 of 25 (2033 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One of the most mind-boggling decisions when it comes to BotFA imho.

I was shocked it wasn't in the movie, and I if i didn't know better, I would agree with people who say they deliberately didn't put it in just because they wanted to make you buy the EE. Unsure

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 2:36pm

Post #6 of 25 (2022 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the music.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...might be part of the theme 'Ironfoot' which is one of the bonus tracks on the extended soundtrack. Given the title, the beginning of the track and the theme played on the pipes presumably relates to Dain. But towards the end of the track there's a version of the Laketown theme and then some singing that sounds distinctly elvish, all quite solemn. It seems to me that that might have been written for a scene which unites dwarves, elves and men - either the funeral or a coronation scene for Dain.

That said, I am woefully bad at identifying the music. But I'd be interested to know what someone more musical makes of this.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 3:17pm

Post #7 of 25 (1980 views)
Shortcut
ironfoot's music [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame they didn't have enough time to expand Ironfoot's theme in the film, as I really liked it. It had a Braveheart-ish sound to it, but since it only shows up in one scene it feels out of place with the rest of the score.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2015, 3:31pm

Post #8 of 25 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's funeral and Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

The funeral definitely ought to be in the extended edition and should also include the burial of Fili and Kili. Dain's role should be to set the tone of his reign by entombing the Arkenstone with Thorin. Orcrist should be placed on top of the tomb, whether by Thranduil or Legolas.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 3:36pm

Post #9 of 25 (1968 views)
Shortcut
My guess [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be ultimately disappointing. Probably short, because they need to fit in a scene with Alfrid sneaking into Erebor and shoving more gold in his dress.

Honestly, whatever they do, it's sure to make me cry.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 16 2015, 3:38pm

Post #10 of 25 (1958 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely, but wouldn't it be cool if they sang Misty Mountain reprise?? [In reply to] Can't Post

The king is come unto his hall
Under the Mountain dark and tall.
The Worm of Dread is slain and dead,
And ever so our foes shall fall!

Now call we over mountains cold,
‘Come back unto the caverns old’!
Here at the Gates the king awaits,
His hands are rich with gems and gold.

I hope the EE contains at least one more song.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 16 2015, 3:46pm

Post #11 of 25 (1954 views)
Shortcut
I think it'll be short and involve a few silent shots... [In reply to] Can't Post

A wide shot of the caverns/tombs

Beorn placing Thorin on the tomb

Some close-ups of the bodies and everyone looking sad

A shot of Bilbo placing the Arkenstone on his chest

Gandalf placing Orcrist by his side

[maybe Dain shouts something here like "hail king under the mountain"]

Everyone looks sad again

And then the zoom-out of Erebor to Dale where Bard stands with the trumpeters.

I don't think Bard or the elves will be in the scene (they're not in the images. Interestingly, Radagast is though)

Pandallo
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 4:03pm

Post #12 of 25 (1921 views)
Shortcut
This has been my dream! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The king is come unto his hall
Under the Mountain dark and tall.
The Worm of Dread is slain and dead,
And ever so our foes shall fall!

Now call we over mountains cold,
‘Come back unto the caverns old’!
Here at the Gates the king awaits,
His hands are rich with gems and gold.

I hope the EE contains at least one more song.

Once I heard the beautiful rendition of the Misty Mountains sung by Clamavi De Profundis I had always hoped that they would have Bofur singing the last part of the Misty Mountains theme, the mention of bringing the dislocated Dwarves back home would be resonate well with the entire idea of taking back the homeland.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 7:48pm

Post #13 of 25 (1802 views)
Shortcut
It is important but not toooo long so that the EE cannot fill in the gaps where needed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The EE needs at least 45 minutes extra material....

I think of Theatrical releases with this series as long trailers.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 16 2015, 7:48pm)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 9:16pm

Post #14 of 25 (1734 views)
Shortcut
other scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition to the funeral scene, we can probably expect to see much more of the battle in the EE. Dwarven ballistas, the ram cavalry, that sled chase on the ice, Beorn for more than 5 seconds, the elves actually shooting their arrows, etc...

The battle is SO poorly edited as it is right now. There's not a good sense of flow or pacing- things are just all over the place. We see the entire elven army pull their bows out, ready to fire and.....the camera cuts away and we never see them again. Huh??

The two sections of the film that need the most attention are the battle itself, and the film's resolution. It was as if Peter Jackson wanted to avoid the "endless endings" criticism from ROTK, and just tried to wrap things up too fast.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 16 2015, 9:47pm

Post #15 of 25 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Where else is anything needed? [In reply to] Can't Post

The funeral scene, seeing some sort of closure on the adventure, knowing what happens to the Gold, to Erebor, to the Arkenstone, to Orcrist, to the people of Dale, to Dain - that's all that's NEEDED in this movie.

Seeing more Beorn will be interesting and is arguably needed purely to make his currently brief appearance less jarring.

All of this can be summed up in much less than 45 mins so I think it'll be fine.

I'm actually only expecting it to be 20mins longer. I don't think there's any reason to expect 45, that's not an officially confirmed number. And I'm sure most of the new stuff will be "unnecessary" battle shots, just cool stuff that was cut for time: the rams, the chariot, Alfrid's death etc.

I get the feeling that many people will be disappointed with the EE. There are way too many high expectations, but the reality will be a few fun little sequences (which people will either love or hate) and a more resolved ending.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 10:42pm

Post #16 of 25 (1675 views)
Shortcut
More time with - [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's attack.
Dol Guldur
Beorn
Thranduil in and leaving the Woodland Realm
Legolas chased Bolg.....to where?
As noted above, all of the battle holes...etc.
Thorin's funeral.

I realize most of what I want will not be included.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 16 2015, 11:32pm

Post #17 of 25 (1643 views)
Shortcut
The Journey Home and The Last Stage [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where else is anything needed?

Beyond the funeral, we could use a bit more with Dain as King under the Mountain, showing him to be a fair ruler and grateful to Bilbo. Sources say that Bilbo planted the acorn that he picked up in Dale before he left. We could see that. And it is still possible that Gollum might be lurking in the marshes beyond the ruins of Esgaroth.

We could stand to have some of the return journey. Even if we skip over Bilbo and Gandalf spending the winter with Beorn, we should have a brief stop-over at Rivendell so Sting can receive the engraving we see on it in the LotR films. A last chance to visit with Hugo Weaving as Elrond would also be welcome.

Remind me, did Bilbo recite his poem "Roads Go Ever Ever On" when the pair came in sight of Hobbiton? He should have. And if there are any other significant character cameos during the auction, I wouldn't mind a better chance to spot them. Was a young Primula Brandybuck catching the eye of Drogo Baggins (or vice versa). Maybe young Hamfast Gamgee was present, having recently been apprenticed to his cousin Holman Greenhand.

It seems we can rule out the visit that Gandalf and Balin payed to Bilbo just a few years after his adventure.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bladerunner
Gondor

Mar 17 2015, 2:33am

Post #18 of 25 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's funeral could be a nice counterpoint to Aragorn's coronation... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not a fan of the ubiquitous Lord of the Rings references in the new trilogy; however, I think Thorin's funeral scene could have provided (and still may) a nice counterpoint to Aragorn's coronation scene from The Return of the King, - and could serve a similar purpose.

(This post was edited by Bladerunner on Mar 17 2015, 2:39am)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 17 2015, 3:24am

Post #19 of 25 (1555 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think having all that stuff AFTER the funeral would just drag the film's conclusion. We definitely don't need to see any more Gollum, it's just too much foreshadowing for LOTR.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 17 2015, 3:43am

Post #20 of 25 (1549 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that it's all that much. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think having all that stuff AFTER the funeral would just drag the film's conclusion. We definitely don't need to see any more Gollum, it's just too much foreshadowing for LOTR.

Granted, my idea for Gollum came from before we knew the fate of the Master in the movie and before we learned of the planned end for Alfrid. Originally, I thought that the Master (and perhaps Alfrid) might fatally encounter Gollum in the marshes.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 18 2015, 4:39pm

Post #21 of 25 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Trying to PICTURE IT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bom thinks in The Hall of Kings
with it's "Newly Laid"...Golden Floor..

A procession of the Remaining Company
Walk....
Slowly towards where the Golden Stature was...

First Kili.. then Fili...Then Thorin
are carried on Litters like Bombur in
Mirkwood.

One side of the Hall Are Elves, Men & Beorn....the
Other side would be Dain & the Dwarves from the
Iron Hills who survived...

Last in Line? Gandalf & Bilbo...
Bilbo is carrying the Arkenstone &
it's HE who places it on the chest of Thorin...

A Type of Georgian Chant
(Maori Men's Chorus)
is all we hear.

A Scene Told visually
without any dialogue...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Mar 18 2015, 4:41pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 11:30pm

Post #22 of 25 (1014 views)
Shortcut
An Image FLASH for the Funeral..? [In reply to] Can't Post

A Large numbers of Ravens & Thrushes Flying over-head
Then settling down in the Upper Reaches inside.

Witnessing the Ceremony...THEN
Flying off in
Flocks to Announce the VICTORY
to Ered Luin, & the other
Banished Dwarvish Enclaves...

sorta like PEACE Doves...

WHY? the
MANY Birds would ADD to the
Mystery & Magic, we love, of
MiddleEARTH

{Bomby is STILL hopeing Radagast attends too!}
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 1:29am

Post #23 of 25 (990 views)
Shortcut
JUS' A Postcard .. from Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

YOUR..BRO
Writes to..TRY to

Let your Imagination
get ..+*..+SPARKLED...+*+.
SSOoo..YOU canWalk away
to jus' think, your own Thoughts under the STARS..?

Learned
Long ago..

Re-Writing
Professor Tolkien Books
or
SIR PJ's Movies..
can be VERY interestin'..& "Highly Debatable"

BUT..
who ARE
we to,.. to say

WHAT
Was in these 2 Men's Minds?
When they produced these..

{Personally Bomby feels, PJ "Channeled" the Professor}

ARE we Clairvoyant..?

Tolkien in Bombyzz Mind?
is SMILE-ING BIG Time
on New Zealand.

Love izz all there is.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

banaili
Bree

Mar 22 2015, 2:02pm

Post #24 of 25 (760 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

The imagery you have described sounds so perfect. Also, I can't say how depressed and disappointed I was when I saw that the funeral scene was not in the film. The place it's supposed to be was very apparent, in my opinion, because the jump there (from Dale folk blowing horns to honour Durin's lost kin directly to Bilbo's departure) struck me as completely out of sorts.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 22 2015, 9:46pm

Post #25 of 25 (743 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I'm sure that the funeral will take place right after they blow the horns in Dale. They'll probably show Dain being crowned at that point as well (after the funeral).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.