Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Confirmed: No conclusion for Lego: The Hobbit video game.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 15 2015, 12:23am

Post #1 of 7 (4993 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed: No conclusion for Lego: The Hobbit video game. Can't Post

Rumours of a Lego The Battle of the Five Armies game/DLC pack have been officially debunked. There are apparently no plans to conclude the game:

http://www.gamespot.com/...rmies-/1100-6425900/

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 15 2015, 12:51am

Post #2 of 7 (4973 views)
Shortcut
There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's what I think happened:

Lego were contracted to work with the rights for The Hobbit for three years:
2012 - 2014 develop An Unexpected Journey video game and Lego sets.
2014-2015 develop There and Back Again video game (or DLC) and Lego sets.

The Hobbit gets turned into three movies

Lego are left with a choice, they either refresh the contract for another year and make more Lego sets (which they admitted last year were not selling well and decided to cancel) or allow the contract to end and released an unfinished video-game purely to fulfill the contract.

Naturally, they chose the more financially secure option. Mad

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Mar 15 2015, 12:52am)

demnation
Rohan

Mar 15 2015, 3:21am

Post #3 of 7 (4937 views)
Shortcut
Not surprised. Always thought it was an odd fit [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, I've always thought that Hobbit/LOTR was an odd fit for Lego. I just don't think either are really all that kid friendly. So not surprised that it seems the line is ending.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 15 2015, 12:08pm

Post #4 of 7 (4806 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit not suitable for kids? Okay then... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can assure you that Lego and Middle-earth fit perfectly and the Lego LotR was one of the best Lego video games available and certainly (by a huge distance) the best LotR video game available.

The Hobbit came very close, but ends with DoS' cliff-hanger. With BoFA added it could have been even better than LotR, but they've apparently decided to just end it.

I think WB's logic is that The Hobbit video game didn't sell well enough so the DLC won't make money. But WB don't realise that The Hobbit didn't sell because people were waiting for BoFA (as is very apparent with all the comments). Now there wont be one, people don't want the game.

It's the same problem as advertising Ralph Bakshi's LotR as "part one" people don't want to pay for half an experience.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 15 2015, 6:44pm

Post #5 of 7 (4725 views)
Shortcut
so true [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery!

I was really looking forward to the expansion, the LEGO Hobbit and LOTR games are great imo.

Legomir
Rivendell

Mar 17 2015, 11:39pm

Post #6 of 7 (3411 views)
Shortcut
That's sad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have loved to play it, and it is especially sad to hear the financial reasons for the cancellation. Speaking as someone with a soft spot for movie tie-in games, I've been disappointed in the lack of video games for The Hobbit. In fact, barely any movies have had them recently.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 19 2015, 4:42pm

Post #7 of 7 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Here's a petition for it... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.change.org/...hobbit-the-videogame

Share share share.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.