The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
1966 "ashcan" film of the Hobbit

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 2:22pm

Post #1 of 8 (732 views)
Shortcut
1966 "ashcan" film of the Hobbit Can't Post

I didn't know about this, or the concept of "ashcan" Publishing (Where a work is produced at minimum cost, and dIstributed as little as possible, for the sole purpose of retraining Legal rights).

http://mentalfloss.com/...-history-ashcan-copy

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 8:21pm

Post #2 of 8 (683 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen this brought up in a while. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit, the short does make me wonder what the full-length version of Gene Dietch's Hobbit would have been like. I am a bit put off by Mr. Deitch's Tom & Jerry shorts (with very stiff animation and poor sound choices), but those might not be the best examples of his work.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 15 2015, 2:35am

Post #3 of 8 (661 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Had never seen this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Slag the Dragon.
"Groans" turned into trees not stone.
Gravlins.
The Arkenstone of Dale.
And Bilbo gets the girl, huh? Wow.
Oh well. It was not to be.

I did like the feisty princess, which would have been a cinematic novelty in 1966. The precursor of Nuclear Galadriel?Shocked

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 15 2015, 12:54pm

Post #4 of 8 (638 views)
Shortcut
ODDEST Thing, Bom does vaguely..recall this version... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it jus' to weird to watch
all the WAY though this TIME..

GAG, cough, snort...

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 15 2015, 3:54pm

Post #5 of 8 (611 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. I had [In reply to] Can't Post

the same problem.CrazyTongue

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2015, 2:12am

Post #6 of 8 (560 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo climbs the diamond vest of the dragon Slag (or is it that dog from Despicable Me?), who has clearly been stunned by a rogue disco ball, and steals the Arkenstone!! He, the spunky princess, Torn Oakenshield and That Other Guy, fashion a crossbow from discarded mining tools and/or children, and shoot the dragon in the heart with the heart (literally) of the mountain!! (How fortunate that Bilbo knew that the ring that found its way onto his finger from Galoom was the One Ring that could help him kill the dragon!!) And then, after rebuilding Dale, Bilbo and his best girl retire to his Hobbit-hole. Until the next plot Gandalf cooks up...

They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 6:02pm

Post #7 of 8 (498 views)
Shortcut
Torin Oakenshield's *hat* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no words. Unimpressed

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2015, 6:06pm

Post #8 of 8 (495 views)
Shortcut
Seriously. [In reply to] Can't Post

They could at least have given him a nice wig or something. Angelic

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.