The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Deus Ex Machina

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 14 2015, 4:25am

Post #1 of 18 (2389 views)
Shortcut
Deus Ex Machina Can't Post

EDIT: After writing all this, I have to admit I'm not sure exactly what my whole point was. I think at first I was concerned that this story which I love so much was full of gaping plot holes and problems. After writing the post (below), I have come to a slightly different conclusion. It is just kind of a critique/commentary on certain scenes in LOTR...

Hey gang, I just read about this concept "Deus Ex Machina." I think I saw it when I was reading an article on Wikipedia about the Dead Men of Dunharrow. The article stated that although PJ wasn't a fan of the Dead Men, he actually expanded their role to turn them into a Deus Ex Machina, which translates as "God from the Machine."

I'll let you look up the history as to where this phrase comes from, if, like me, you are just learning about it. Apparently it refers to a situation where a seemingly unsolvable problem or challenge is resolved by a very unlikely event, almost a sort of divine intervention. One of the criticisms of this technique is that such occurrences are implausible.

If you do a little research, you will see that the eagles are also very frequently pointed to as an example of such an instrument. It also seems to me that Tolkien was probably aware of this, and didn't seem to think it was a problem at all.

However, the more I think about it, the more I find myself questioning this masterpiece, which is far and away my favorite story that I have ever read. There are countless examples in LOTR where it looks like all is lost, the whole quest is basically considered hopeless, and yet our friends miraculously escape time and time again.

Here I'm going to list some of the points where it seems like all is lost and things work out in the end. I want to examine a couple key points, a.) are these situations plausible and b.) do they make for a good story? This seems like something for each of us to decide for ourselves, but here's my take:

1.) Bombadil - I think it's very convenient how Bombadil is so freaking powerful, but I love all the scenes he's in, so I really can't complain. Plus, the fact that he is restrained by the bounds of his land helps prevent this character from becoming an unstoppable force.

2.) Merry and Pippin's escape from the Uruk-hai - I thought Tolkien did a good job of creating a plausible situation where Grishnak tried to steal the captives away and thus helped them to actually escape.

3.) Sam's defeat of Shelob - Again, a very brilliant move on Tolkien's part to have Sam win this seemingly impossible battle by using a) the Phial and b) Shelob's own strength against her. Later on, the power of the phial is shown to be completely subdued in the Cracks of Doom, which is another good point to show that this isn't some tool of unlimited power.

4.) The escape from Cirith Ungol - I have mixed feelings on this one. Actually I don't, I love it. I love the whole scene with the ladder and Elbereth and all. However, when you consider that Frodo was trapped in a tower full of enemies, and when it seems as though all is lost (at least for Frodo) he is able to escape when essentially every single orc (except for Shagrat and Snaga, IIRC) in that Tower is killed when a fight breaks out, I have to say this seems like the strongest example of Deus Ex Machina in the story.

We know that orcs don't get along, and Frodo had the extremely beautiful and valuable mithril coat, but it still seems like an incredible stroke of luck that the orcs essentially kill one another off.

5.) The destruction of the Ring- I love the way this is handled by good ol' J.R.R. This seems quite fortunate the way things worked out, but an extremely clever, and plausible, way for the quest to be achieved.

Finally: one general observation: while I love the story and, in conclusion, have little to no problem with any of these potential examples of Deus Ex Machina, I do find it a little strange that 9 companions (4 in the beginning) set out on a hopeless quest, and only 1 of them dies (2 if you count Gandalf).

(This post was edited by aruman on Mar 14 2015, 4:31am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 5:39am

Post #2 of 18 (2344 views)
Shortcut
That's a good list. [In reply to] Can't Post

You defined Deus ex machina correctly. Here's a little background (also from Wikipedia):

The term was coined from the conventions of Greek tragedy, where a machine is used to bring actors playing gods onto the stage. The machine could be either a crane (mechane) used to lower actors from above or a riser that brought actors up through a trapdoor. Preparation to pick up the actors was done behind the Skene (theatre). The idea was introduced by Aeschylus and was used often to resolve the conflict and conclude the drama. Although the device is associated most with Greek tragedy, it also appeared in comedies.

It is generally deemed undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author. The reasons for this are that it does not pay due regard to the story's internal logic (although it is sometimes deliberately used to do this) and is often so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, allowing the author to conclude the story with an unlikely, though perhaps more palatable, ending.

"Undesirable" it may be, but was still widely used by Shakespeare, Moliere, Dickens, and other widely admired writers. Tolkien coined the term eucatastrophe for it (if a "catastrophe" is an unexpected disaster, a "eucatastrophe" is unexpected salvation), and your list are good examples. He commented on this device in a couple of his letters.

I confess that I find the escape from Cirith Ungol to be the least credible of these. Yes, we know orcs were a bad lot and hated each other, but to expect an entire castle full to completely kill each other implies disastrous tendencies in Sauron's forces that should have made them easier to defeat than they were.

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 14 2015, 11:55am

Post #3 of 18 (2283 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the orcs essentially kill each other off in this scene, we would expect most of Sauron's forces to be in disarray, and probably unable to launch such an effective assault on Gondor and other places.

On a related note, It seems to be a big job of the Nazgul to keep the orcs in line ( I'll give your name and number to the nazgul). No Nazgul appear to be present at Cirith Ungol until after the orcs kill one another (again, very fortunate for us).

Finally, as much as I love the story, I do have to chuckle a little bit at Frodo's hopelessness towards the end as they approach Mount doom.

It's like, "hey frodo buddy, you haven't a hope left? Um, do you know how many things to work out perfectly for you to get this far? Maybe it's meant to be."

Then again, they were starving and he had been wounded, so we are given some reasons as to why he is so down in the dumps.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2015, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 18 (2269 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the possibility of same is foreshadowed in the Merry and Pippin strand of events, in Book 3 of LotR, in the conflict between Ugluk, Grishnakh, and their followers. And in Cirith Ungol, the Orcs are certainly provided with something worth fighting over.

I'd say, believable or not, it does not precisely come out of nowhere.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 1:33pm

Post #5 of 18 (2276 views)
Shortcut
"The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'" - JRRT [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you and Elizabeth, I agree that the mass self-slaughter of the orcs in Cirith Ungol is the weakest of the various unlikely salvations you've identified.

I think Tolkien was perfectly aware of the dangers of implausibility in fantasy storytelling, and he worked hard to support his readers' suspension of disbelief. As you noted, many of his interventions only apply to limited situations or places, and so don't represent some universal superpower. I think another of his story rules was to set up situations in which the heroes have already made an effort to save themselves, before the 'ex machina' rescue arrives. Thus in Middle-earth, Fate helps those who help themselves.

Other examples of unlikely assistance or rescues:
1. What you say about the film's Army of the Dead, is equally true in the book but with more careful limits: Aragorn needs to defeat the corsairs, and it just happens that there is an exactly appropriate host of ghosts, available only to his control, in exactly a straight line journey between him and the corsairs.
2. Glorfindel finds Strider and the hobbits at just the point when they emerge from the wilderness onto the Road.
3. Frodo randomly encounters Faramir in Ithilien so that Gandalf hears that Frodo is still alive and on the job, justifying a continued defense in the West.
4. Even Gandalf finds it remarkable that Merry and Pippin's kidnapping by orcs in the Emyn Muil leads to the awakening of the Ents and the utter destruction of Isengard.
5. By choosing the road rather than going cross country in Gorgoroth, Sam gets to use the water cisterns and so survives to get to Mount Doom.

Well, as many critics have noted, the entire story is one hairsbreadth escape, rescue, or coincidence after another. It makes for great storytelling, though, because of the way Tolkien does it, avoiding any completely unbelievable miracles.

The eagles are the ultimate deus ex machina, of course, literally appearing from the sky in the best Greek tradition. Tolkien knew it, and feared the implications. As he commented on the eagles, in his criticism of the film treatment that used the birds as a taxi service: "The Eagles are a dangerous 'machine'. I have used them sparingly, and that is the absolute limit of their credibility or usefulness." (Letter 210)

That didn't stop Bored of the Rings from bringing a big rubber hammer down on his writing hand at that point:
Then just over their heads they saw a passing flash of color. There in the sky they saw a giant eagle, full-feathered and painted shocking pink. On its side were the words DEUS EX MACHINA AIRLINES in metallic gold.
Frito yelped as the great bird swooped bow and snatched them both from death with its rubberized talons.
"Name's Gwahno," said the Eagle as they climbed sharply away from the disintegrating land. "Find a seat."
"But how--" began Frito.
"Not now, mac," the bird snapped. "Gotta figure a flight plan outta this dump." - BotR IX

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 15 2015, 3:03am

Post #6 of 18 (2176 views)
Shortcut
Hi Squire [In reply to] Can't Post

Good stuff...
Regarding the Army of the Dead, I agree that it is very convenient...
However, I think Tolkien does a good job of "distracting" the readers mind from this, I think, by making the Paths seem so perilous, and also by providing a historical basis for this via Malbeth the Seer. I always loved this part (quoted from memory, if I may brag):

"But what may be the words of the seer?" asked Legolas.
"Thus spoke Malbeth the Seer, in the days of Arvedui, last king at Fornost: 'Over the land there lies a long shadow, westward moving...who shall the horn be? The heir of him to whom the oath they swore...'

Now, you reminded me of one more thing that just occurred to me the other day. It's not really related to Deus Ex Machina, though maybe it is...
I was thinking how effective it would have been if, realizing spies had slipped through his fences, the Dark Lord had stationed troops at all the water points, realizing that the spies would have to get water at some point. Maybe that is harder than it sounds, but still, seems like it could be a smart move.

This leads me back to Deus Ex Machina...it seems like there are some things that the bad guys could have done that would have made things more difficult for our heroes:

1. Why did the Witch King opt to attempt to poison Frodo on Weathertop with his Morgul knife? I would imagine that if he was close enough to stab him with the bewitched blade he was close enough to simply kill him.
2. How did Aragorn and the Hobbits manage to go so far on the road without any sign of the Black Riders (until they were very close to the Fords)?
3. Why wasn't the entrance to the Sammath Naur guarded? (I know Sauron had know idea that they were trying to destroy the Ring, but if the path was always cleared to the door, it seems like there would probably have been more surveillance of that area).
4. Why were all 8 of the remaining Nazgul shadowing the march of the Captains of the West?
5. Why didn't Sauron question Pippin further in the Palantir?

Now, on the OTHER hand, it seems like there were some things that the good guys also could have done differently, that would have enhanced their probabilities of success, particularly with regards to getting the Ring from Bag End to Rivendell.

(This post was edited by aruman on Mar 15 2015, 3:10am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 15 2015, 3:20am

Post #7 of 18 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Some answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1 and 2: See the recent discussion of Weathertop here. There is no really satisfactory answer to why the Riders didn't complete their task there.

3. The Sammath Naur was the caldera of an active volcano. There was nothing of value there, and it was a very unpleasant place to be. Why guard it?

4. The surviving Nazgul were shadowing the Army of the West because that was where the action was. Sauron was massing all his forces to confront them.

5. When Sauron was speaking with Pippin he had every reason to believe Saruman was standing right there, and that Pippin was a mere pawn with nothing of interest to say. Pippin was holding the palantir only because Saruman was "showing his trophy" to Sauron. It was only later that Sauron learned what had happened at Isengard.

In retrospect, whenever we look back at our lives all the major events seem miraculous and fore-ordained, both the good and bad, because we now know the story (at least to this point). Most of the time the first-time reader won't find the dubious incidents we're discussing "deus ex machina" (well, maybe Cirith Ungol) because Tolkien lays his groundwork so well, as you note with respect to the Dead.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Mar 15 2015, 3:24am)

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 17 2015, 2:58am

Post #8 of 18 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Re:Sammath Naur [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing that made me think that it might make sense for it to be guarded is the part about the path always being cleared by the orcs whenever it was covered by lava... I am referring to the path that Sam used when carrying Frodo up the mountain.

So you're probably right, it probably did not need to be guarded (as far as Sauron knew) but I'm wondering why they always worked to repair the road.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 17 2015, 3:54am

Post #9 of 18 (2078 views)
Shortcut
its inevitable [In reply to] Can't Post

alot of interesting stories have some sort of miraculous coincidence or escape or deus ex machina, both real and made up. they wouldnt be interesting stories otherwise.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 17 2015, 5:13am

Post #10 of 18 (2065 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the road-clearing was a punishment detail... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like we assign prisoners to difficult and unpleasant chores.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 17 2015, 1:41pm

Post #11 of 18 (2055 views)
Shortcut
That's Tolkien's point [In reply to] Can't Post

'Behind that there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring, and not by its maker. In which case you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.'
-The Shadow of the Past

'Thank goodness I did not realize the horrible danger!' said Frodo faintly. I was mortally afraid, of course; but if I had known more, I should not have dared even to move. It is a marvel that I escaped!'
'Yes, fortune or fate have helped you,' said Gandalf, `not to mention courage.

-Many Meetings

'Stop him! Don't let him go! ' cried Pippin.
'I wonder? ' said Aragorn. `He is the Bearer, and the fate of the Burden is on him. I do not think that it is our part to drive him one way or the other. Nor do I think that we should succeed, if we tried. There are other powers at work far stronger.'

-The Breaking of the Fellowship

`So all my plan is spoilt! ' said Frodo. `It is no good trying to escape you. But I'm glad, Sam. I cannot tell you how glad. Come along! It is plain that we were meant to go together.’
-ibid

The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism.
-Letter #142

After all, what’s more deus-ex-machina-y than:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
-John 3:16

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Mar 21 2015, 10:20pm

Post #12 of 18 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul and hubris [In reply to] Can't Post

On Weathertop, I think that the Nazgul were a bit arrogant here. They figured they'd just poison Frodo and he'd come to them eventually without much of a fight.

Also, Tolkien does try to explain away this by saying that there were only 5 of the Nazgul, and that they were not fully empowered, and also that they feared fire. So it is plausible that a counterattack led by Aragorn (even with Hobbits) could startle them. They didn't exactly know who or what they were dealing with.

One has to assume the Nazgul are all powerful to say this is implausible. Aragorn was one of the few men who could challenge them, and they were not at full strength, either individually or as a group.

Now, one could argue if Strider/Aragorn wasn't there, they'd easily be able to capture the Hobbits. And one could argue that 5, even if they are weak, Nazgul could defeat Strider/Aragorn. But I don't think that they were so powerful that Strider/Aragorn couldn't be them off. He was the greatest man of his time.

Might makes Right!

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 21 2015, 11:47pm

Post #13 of 18 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Hi [In reply to] Can't Post

Good points, and I agree that these points do offer some justification for the actions of the Nazgul. Also, I need to point out that I absolutely love Lord of the rings, it is my favorite story of all time, and one that I cherish very dearly.

However, in the interest of stirring up a decent conversation, I will voice one of my other minor gripes with the story. It does not affect my enjoyment of the story much, if at all, but it does present another interesting point. Your post made me think of it.

It almost seems as though Tolkien really changes his mind as to how powerful the witch King is throughout the story. I understand that they were afraid of fire, however, based on the which Kings power later on in the story, you would expect him to be able to overcome
Aragorn, even armed with a torch, IMHO.

I know he is eventually destroyed, but remember that at one time, he is considered to be the rival to Gandalf (I'm referring to the part when Gandalf returns from the Rammas and is speaking with Denethor while Pippin observes).

(This post was edited by aruman on Mar 22 2015, 12:02am)

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Mar 22 2015, 12:24am

Post #14 of 18 (1894 views)
Shortcut
Witch King powers [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand your point. And one would think that the Witch King (and probably any of the Nazgul) could handle Aragorn. But one of Gondor's kings also challenged the Witch King (also he was deceived and later killed. It was the king who came to rescue Arvedui when Arnor finally fell, and he was last king of Gondor).

Anyway, the point is that some "great" men probably would not quiver in the face of the Witch King. I doubt Boromir would fear him (maybe not Denethor or Faramir, either).

All that being said, Tolkien tries to get around this by saying that the Nazgul's power gets stronger as they get closer to Mordor. When they were in the Shire, they inspired dread. But in actual battle on Pelennor, men would go crazy at their approach. So there is something to the fact that as they are closer to their home base, the more powerful they get. This is why the Witch King was considered a foe on par with Gandalf.

Speaking of that anticipated battle, it is one of the faults I have with the book. It is built up that Gandalf and Witch King will eventually meet, only for Eowyn (with assist from Merry) to kill him (I am not upset with this result, but it is somewhat anti-climatic). Gandalf appears ready to do battle with him at the gates of Gondor, but the Rohirrim arrive and he leaves.

That would have been one epic battle....

Might makes Right!

aruman
Rivendell

Mar 22 2015, 2:28pm

Post #15 of 18 (1878 views)
Shortcut
I like where this is going... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't heard about Tolkien's explanation that the Nazgul are more powerful closer to Mordor...but that makes sense, and I think it is a good way of reconciling the difference in the Witch King's power between FOTR and ROTK.

However, I kind of wish he had just had the Nazgul on Weathertop be OTHER Nazgul...meaning a group of the "regular" Nazgul and not the Witch King...perhaps, also, a smaller group of them.

I think that in this work, by nature, it is difficult to say which characters were more powerful than other characters, and I really like that aspect. I think it's kind of like real life. It's not like a video game where we can compare who has the best hand-to-hand combat, hit points, magic, etc. It's left very ambiguous (which will lead to me final point below). I would have always felt that Aragorn was probably about as powerful as a Nazgul (though admittedly that might just be based on an old computer game I used to have (LOL)).

Another interesting thing I just thought of (and this isn't that final point I mentioned earlier), I can't remember exactly what Gandalf's explanation is at the Council of Elrond regarding when the Nazgul attacked him on Weathertop...but I do remember he said they withdrew during the day (as 3 also did from Glorfindel) and then come on him at night, at which point, if I remember correctly, they seem to have had him in serious trouble, and I think, it is either implied or mentioned, he eventually had to retreat.

Now here's that final point I mentioned was coming...

Regarding the showdown (or lack thereof) between Gandalf and the Witch King in ROTK...

I agree that it certainly seemed like that was what we were gearing toward for much of book 5. Gandalf even said something like, "...our trial has not yet come," implying that he expects to meet the Witch King in battle.

However, I'm OK with the way things worked out, for a few reasons...

1.) I actually did enjoy the way the Witch King was destroyed. I thought it was neat with the prophecy and all. ALTHOUGH, again, I will admit it seemed to easy to destroy one of the most powerful bad guys in such a manner...HOWEVER, as usual, Tolkien did a pretty good job of explaining that it was with the help of the barrow dagger, which was a potent weapon against the Witch King.

2.) A showdown between Gandalf and the Witch King, as exciting as it would have been, would have required a more open demonstration of Gandalf's power than Tolkien seemed to want to give us. Now, at this point we've already read a boatload, so maybe we are finally entitled to see Gandalf uncloaked, but one of the things I love about Tolkien...and what sets Tolkien apart from more video gamey stories like Dungeons and Dragons and whatnot...is the fact that show much is left ambiguous and hidden.

3.) Along with point 2, I sort of feel like the fact that we didn't get the showdown we thought we were moving towards lends a feeling of realism to the story. I guess what I mean is that if this were just some old fairy tale, we would get the exact ending we were promised and working towards. However, LOTR feels almost more like an historical account of something that actually DID happen! So this seems to give weight to that feeling IMHO.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 22 2015, 3:50pm

Post #16 of 18 (1880 views)
Shortcut
It's also (sometimes) realistic [In reply to] Can't Post

yes I agree -it would be difficult to make an interesting a story in which the hero had to accomplish an easy task and had plenty of time and resources to do it. So usually storytellers have the hero outnumbered, out of time and otherwise looking as if they can only triumph by being..well...heroic.

I think it's all about whether the storyteller strains credulity, so that too many convenient things seem to be happening.

Then again, as Darkstone has pointed out, Tolkien had a thing about eucatastrophe - sometimes sometimes, incredibly lucky things DO happen, just as sometimes incredibly unlikely bad things happen.

A real-life example:William Buckley, an escaped convict in 1803 Australia, is supposed to have survived in the outback basically because he took a spear from a recent grave (of a man called Murrangurk) to use as a walking stick. When Buckley then encountered the relatives of Murrangurk , they saw the spear and treated him as Murrangurk re-incarnated. He lived with them for 32 years.
http://www.abc.net.au/...010-04-11T193000.htm

You probably couldn't get away with that in fiction....

Wink

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Mar 23 2015, 12:18pm

Post #17 of 18 (1853 views)
Shortcut
The Meek Shall inherit Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I do wish the Witch King and Gandalf would have met in an epic battle, the way Tolkien offs the WK is somewhat brilliant. Throughout the book (for first-time readers), we're thinking he will die by the hand of Gandalf or Aragorn or some other hero. However, there is that bit about the WK "prophecy."

So it is unexpected when Merry and Eowyn do the job. It is a very clever move by Tolkien. And it is a theme that runs throughout the book, which makes it organic. Often times, it's the small and "weak" or "meek" who do heroic deeds in the LOTR and Hobbit.

It is Bilbo, not Thorin, who accomplishes great deeds in the Hobbit. And the four Hobbits in LOTRY also act heroically and make spark earth-changing events that the Great or Wise did not or could not foresee. Merry and Pippin directly have a hand in Treebeard and the Ents rising up to destroy Saruman. And Sam actually fights off Shelob.

This is a strong theme in Tolkien's works, and it seems this is lived vicariously through Gandalf. Why do you think he was so fond of Hobbits?

Might makes Right!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 24 2015, 1:03am

Post #18 of 18 (1842 views)
Shortcut
There were several good reasons given by Tolkien for point 1) below [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1 and 2: See the recent discussion of Weathertop here. There is no really satisfactory answer to why the Riders didn't complete their task there.

a) The WK was dismayed by the resistance that Frodo showed and in particular the uttering of the name Elbereth
b) He recognised Aragorn as a "power" but did not know his identity.
c) He thought the Morgul Blade would do it's job of turning Frodo into a wraith much quicker than it did, as they knew nothing of the nature of Hobbits, so his hope was of a further ambush with a turned and therefore submissive Frodo in the near future.
From a pragmatic and dramatic point of view with the ever wonderful benefit of hindsight these probably don't seem like valid reasons, but this is one of the beauties of Tolkiens writing. With great subtlety he introduces the fears and failings of the very powerful. The WK thinks he has done enough, so he departs for safety. Even he is not immune to fear and doubt and is only driven on by the terrible threat of his masters will.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Mar 24 2015, 1:04am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.