Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you interact with any TORnsibs outside of TORn?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you interact with any TORnsibs outside of TORn?
Yes
No
No, but I have in the past
Other
View Results (57 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 9:25pm

Post #1 of 86 (2771 views)
Shortcut
Do you interact with any TORnsibs outside of TORn? Can't Post

Be it either face-to-face, on the phone, via mail or social media.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2015, 9:34pm

Post #2 of 86 (2607 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil is my go-to gal for all manner of theatre adventures. We have seen Richard Armitage in a reading of Pinter/Proust and the Two SIrs (McKellen and Stewart) in No Man's Land.

She is also the person I text when I'm sitting in the hospital wondering if what I was hearing from my uncle's doctors was on the right track. Man, she kept me sane during those long weeks.

Oh and she's really good at scaring the beejeebers out of me when I call and tell her I'm stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel and the highway patrol is rerouting us to Hoboken (The Land of Smelly Clowns). I'm never ever reading The Stand. Ever. Shocked Laugh

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 9:42pm

Post #3 of 86 (2594 views)
Shortcut
I have never been lucky enough to meet a TORnsib in real life [In reply to] Can't Post

Then again, I'm still quite new to being a fan of Tolkien and a member of TORn, so I hope I'll be able to fix that in the (near) future.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 86 (2590 views)
Shortcut
Indeedy! [In reply to] Can't Post

As DI posts, we have had Adventures of the very fun, fabulous, mindblowing theatrical kind. She's brave enough to 1. drive or bus to NYC alone 2. deal with me! Shieldmaiden type of bravery. Angelic

I have met our Roheryn, and realized we must have been separated at birth, or something.Cool

And Maciliel, who has also shared theater and a wonderful NYC evening with me.

I've tried to get to the RenFaire in NY - some day we will all meet up there, NY/CT/NJ sibs!Laugh

I hope to meet more lovely TORn folks. I have quite a lot of PM friends here too. Some of the cleverest people I know hang here. (Some? Most. Yeah.)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 13 2015, 9:52pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 86 (2599 views)
Shortcut
(((((((hugs))))))))) [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a crazy time. You do just as much for me, you know. CoolAngelic

I still don't know why Hoboken and 'Scary/Smelly Clowns' (? is that even a thing?) are forever linked in my mind. As for The Stand...yeah, I'd be swimming the River before I went through that Tunnel with no lights, full of dead people. NUHuh. (Hmmm. Very naughty of me to bring it up just as you were stuck in there...)Laugh

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 13 2015, 9:54pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 86 (2572 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

But not as many as I would like.

Who knows, in 10 years time, with the way technology is going, the PTB might have upgraded the forum to include a video posts. Then we'll have to put up with everyone's faces everyday! Crazy

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2015, 10:46pm

Post #7 of 86 (2583 views)
Shortcut
Oh Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I can't recommend it enough. My first "encounter" was the ROTK Oscar Party. I had been on the site for two years, but never met anyone. The Oscar party came up, and I was lucky enough to get a ticket. I nearly didn't go, afraid that I would never meet anyone, since I didn't know what they looked like (this was pre-Facebook), but I'm so glad I did. I had the most marvelous time, and over the last 11 years I have had many, many TORn moots. I have one next month, in fact, when I travel to NYC to attend the LOTR symphony/movie showings.

If anyone has a moment of hesitation, please just DO IT. You won't regret it.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 11:07pm

Post #8 of 86 (2578 views)
Shortcut
The selection mechanism is unique. [In reply to] Can't Post

TORnsibs are, first and foremost, fans of Tolkien. This means we are people of intelligence and integrity.Cool

The fact that we can exchange both intelligent thoughts on our favorite literature and films and also enjoy Pants threads means TORnsibs are the best!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 12:04am

Post #9 of 86 (2541 views)
Shortcut
NYC Moot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am bringing my 12-yr-old granddaughter to the weekend series, all the way from Hawaii! And my son & his grown daughter are flying up from TX. I hope to see you there, and Dame Ioreth & Brethil, & others as well!

I actually posted on this in the Moots board, as well.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Mar 14 2015, 12:06am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2015, 12:20am

Post #10 of 86 (2535 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about time to get the Moot going. I can't remember who will be going - maybe greendragon or L Ron.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 1:37am

Post #11 of 86 (2530 views)
Shortcut
TORnSibs, I've met a few, but then again, [In reply to] Can't Post

too few to mention...Laugh

Actually, I have spent time with about 6 or 7 in person on several occasions, and they are all most admirable and excellent people. Some of them have been shocked when they discover I am actually a supermodel and Nobel Prize winner in real life, but then they get used to me.
Good times!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2015, 2:30am

Post #12 of 86 (2509 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I've met Altaira, Aunt Dora, RosieLass, Inferno, L Ron, Roheryn... and I'm probably forgetting some folks (sorry!). Mostly, living in Colorado means being not too far from other TORnFolk. It's been a while, though - life's been busy and I frankly haven't had the funds to do anything lately. Both those things must change - TORnFolk are the best of company to keep!

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 14 2015, 2:59am

Post #13 of 86 (2508 views)
Shortcut
One of the Founders joined the LOTR Movie Location Tour I was on & I recall being FB friends [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 3:15am

Post #14 of 86 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Yes! The first time was in 2002 [In reply to] Can't Post

when some local TORnsibs had an Oscars-watching party at someone's house. As I was walking up the driveway, I met Altaira. None of us had ever gone someplace to "meet somebody from the Internet" before and we were all a little nervous, but it was a great time.

Since then I've been to several "mini-moots" with Altaira and Rosie-lass, and sometimes with other people like Arandiel. There have been a few great gatherings at Altaira's house, and I've met people like BG, Entmaiden, Inferno, Annael, Roheryn, Greendragon, L-Ron-Halfelven and others.

One of my favorite meetings was when I had arranged to have dinner with Ethel Duath when she was on vacation in the area, and the next day we just happened to run into each other on a trail halfway up Longs Peak <3

The amazing thing is how we all sit around chatting like the old friends we are, and sometimes the faces are completely unfamiliar. And yet we have years of shared experiences. It can be pretty surreal.

Oh, and I'm on facebook with several TOrnsibs. That's fun too. Send me a PM, if anybody in this thread wants to find me there.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 14 2015, 3:17am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 3:39am

Post #15 of 86 (2524 views)
Shortcut
You reminded me Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

That I also had the pleasure of meeting Greendragon and L. Ron on line at the DoS live event. A very lovely day that was.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 3:50am

Post #16 of 86 (2490 views)
Shortcut
lots [In reply to] Can't Post

Face to face... I contacted someone on the boards here who I realized lived near me and we met up at a LOTR trilogy event in a theater near my house. That was Hobbitlove. Later, we met up with two other people who were, at the time, active members of the TORn boards and lived a little further out but within driving distance. That group met up in various clumps a few times.

The the Mister and I went to NYC for the FOTR Live concert and met up with a bunch more TORnfolk.

At the risk of leaving someone off, I've met (in person) Hobbitlove, Ordinary Hobbit, Radhuin, Zmulady, Kangi Ska, (all those were MN sibs), Altaira, Big Guy, Silneldor, Squire, greendragon, L. Ron Halfelven, Smeagirl/Girllum, gkgyver, Rosie-with-the-Ribbons, entmaiden, CAHobbit, sunflower, _V_, Ainu Laire, gramma, and Loresilme. (all of those in NYC including a few MN sibs who were there)

There are quite a few with whom I've exchanged gifts and/or cards of some sort. And even more that I have meaningful conversations with by email.

Just a month ago, I attended the memorial service of my friend Hobbitlove. So yeah... I interact with TORnfolk outside of TORn.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 4:41am

Post #17 of 86 (2468 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking I should have added to my post [In reply to] Can't Post

that I feel as if I know quite a few people around here, even though I have never actually met them in real life.
And that is a very pleasant feeling.

Some of these people have sent me very nice things in the mail, including your good self. Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 8:09am

Post #18 of 86 (2469 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your last two sentences reminded me of a PM I've meant to send you for a long time.

(*leaves everyone else in a cloud of suspense*) Cool

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 8:11am

Post #19 of 86 (2475 views)
Shortcut
*twiddles thumbs* [In reply to] Can't Post

So, about that time the ferry didn't run on time and made me late...still bitter about that.

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 8:22am

Post #20 of 86 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can honestly say that meeting TORnsibs face-to-face is a fantastic experience.

So far I've met Roheryn, NZStrider, (almost met Starling), Moahunter and Lissuin (*waves to both*). It's great fun, and I'm always eager to meet more people on here.

And I have PM pals here, too. Always a pleasure to get to know everyone better. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 9:03am

Post #21 of 86 (2457 views)
Shortcut
*Sobs* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never quite gotten over that one...Frown

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 11:31am

Post #22 of 86 (2426 views)
Shortcut
Certain IMDb forums [In reply to] Can't Post

A few TORn posters still show up at the IMDb Message Boards for the Hobbit movies (and others as well, I'm sure). As far as I know, no other TORnies post on any other forums that I frequent, but I could be wrong.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 2:01pm

Post #23 of 86 (2392 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I've met quite a few in real life, and I e-mail quite a few regularly. Mostly First Agers like me. Let me see: I've met Aiya (see her a lot, she lives in Seattle now), Altaira, Ataahua, Aunt Dora, Bullroarer, Daisy Took, Draupne, Elberbeth, Eledhwen, entmaiden,Frode, Inferno, Jester, Kyriel, Lumpkin, MrCere, Nimrodel, Patty, Third Orc on the Left, RosieLass . . . I'm sure there's more . . .

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 14 2015, 2:12pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 14 2015, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 86 (2367 views)
Shortcut
I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems that no one lives in or within a semi-decent driving distance of North Idaho, US Frown

Though I did stumble upon another major Tolkien fan at an athletic shop Smile. My husband's old coworker (and Ironman finisher) got a job there, and so we stopped in to say hi to her, having absolutely no idea that her coworker loved Tolkien.

Lol they both ended up rolling their eyes and looking at athletic gear and high end shoes while her coworker and I ended up in a fascinating conversation/debate/back and forth on the merits of the Hobbit movies and how well they adhered to Tolkien, and discussed the EE's (which he hadn't seen yet) and how they improved the TE's of the films....

An hour later, my husband came back over (small shop, so they heard the entire conversation and were rolling their eyes in the corner while catching up themselves) and mentioned that our parking time was almost up Blush

Turns out neither of us Tolkien fans realized just how long we'd been chatting about Middle-earth! Never met before, and I don't even remember his name. My husband (who is Elciryamo on here, though we got married before I found TORn- does that count?) is a fan too, but nowhere NEAR as passionate about Tolkien as I am.

I also ended up getting pulled over by a police officer for forgetting to turn my headlights on after leaving a late showing of AUJ (the parking lot was so bright I didn't realize they were off) who, upon hearing what I was doing (and trying to reconcile the fact that I was 26, not 16 lol) barraged me with questions about the film, was it in line with the book, how was the HFR, etc, before finally asking me to turn my lights on (no ticket- I had literally JUST left the parking lot) and saying have a good night Smile I found that neat as well, as soon as my heart stopped racing from getting pulled over at least Evil

I'm also normally shy and reserved as well, but there really is something about meeting a fellow Tolkien fan that can make even strangers bond in a very short time Smile

On a side note, if any TORnsibs ever find themselves making their way toward northern Idaho (about 400 miles east of Seattle, Washington, US) pm me and I'll see what I can do to meet up for lunch or something and show them the lovely sights (our scenery is similar to the pine forests outside of Rivendell where the 9 chased Arwen to the ford) Smile

And for Seattle TORnsibs (I know there are some of you on here)- maybe a halfway meet in Ellensburg or Moses Lake is a possibility too Smile That's not too far for me to go, and I'd appreciate being able to finally meet some TORnsibs in RL Cool

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 6:46pm

Post #25 of 86 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Anybody heard from Nimrodel? [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to love her back in the day, and enjoyed meeting her at last at the RotK Oscar Party. But she dropped out of TORn a while after that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.