Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A round of Favourite Tolkien Quotations!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 2:34pm

Post #1 of 24 (3748 views)
Shortcut
A round of Favourite Tolkien Quotations! Can't Post

Still pumped from The Flight To The Ford, and waiting for the read-through of FOTR Book II to start up (29 march - see http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=841531#841531)?

Dispair not, for I shall stop writing in the style of really bad advertising copy....

And also, I suggest we play Favourite Tolkien Quotations. Wink

So please post a favourite Tolkien Quotation. Or post more than one. It is a lot more interesting if you say something about why you chose that one - is the language beautiful or the thought uplifting? Does it make you laugh, or seem to apply to something in your own life? Or is it a favourite for some other reason altogether?

For example, I shall pick "all the long leagues of Eriador" (which comes from a passage in "Strider", Chapter 10 of Book 1 FOTR. Strider does not think that the Black Riders will storm the Prancing Pony:

And in any case that is not their way. In dark and loneliness they are strongest; they will not openly attack a house where there are lights and many people - not until they are desperate, not while all the long leagues of Eriador still lie before us.

(my bolds, of course)

I like the hint that the Riders - at least to an extent - have the amount of power you consent to give them.

But mostly I just really like the sound of "all the long leagues of Eriador". It's a phrase that has made its home in my mind these past 40 years...

For no reason I've yet understood, I get a similar tingle from:

Small love for Feanor or his sons had those that marched at last behind hi, and blew their trumpets in Middle-earth at the first rising of the Moon.

Silmarillion - final sentence of Ch9, Of The Flight Of The Noldor

See - I said it was OK to have more than one go Smile

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 24 (3714 views)
Shortcut
"I was born Earth’s daughter!" [In reply to] Can't Post

far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet
he does not forget.

-Cat

(One of my most favoritest poems ever.)

Firiel looked from the river-bank,
one step daring;
then deep in clay her feet sank,
and she halted staring.
Slowly the elven-ship went by
whispering through the water:
‘I cannot come!’ they heard her cry.
‘I was born Earth’s daughter!’

-The Last Ship

(In other words, “I chose a mortal life.”)

”Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?”
-In the House of Tom Bombadil

(The most profound statement in all of Tolkien.)

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-"Note 9" from the "Author's Notes on the 'Commentary'" from the Commentary on The Debate of Finrod and Andreth in HoME X, Morgoth's Ring.

(Tolkien’s true feelings regarding The Wise?)

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 24 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Stargazing: [In reply to] Can't Post

Away high in the East swung Remmirath, the Netted Stars, and slowly above the mists red Borgil rose, glowing like a jewel of fire. Then by some shift of airs all the mist was drawn away like a veil, and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt. The Elves all burst into song.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 24 (3704 views)
Shortcut
I was just thinking of these threads the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful.
- Lothlórien, FOTR

Nothing I can say would do this passage justice, so I'll just leave it like that.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 13 2015, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 24 (3687 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

which I believe I have mentioned before. But redundancy abounds…?

Tolkien’s partial description of the flora of N. Ithilien. A usually somewhat dull subject matter made into a thing of interest and beauty! (The entire paragraph (of which this is only the last sentence) is superb.)

Primeroles and anemones were awake in the filbert-brakes; and asphodel and many lily-flowers nodded their half-opened heads in the grass: deep green grass bedside the pools, where falling streams halted in cool hollows on their journey down to Anduin. (TT, IV, 4)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 24 (3660 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me of another one of my favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

They leapt up refreshed. Frodo ran to the eastern window, and found himself looking into a kitchen-garden grey with dew. He had half expected to see turf right up to the walls, turf all pocked with hoof-prints. Actually his view was screened by a tall line of beans on poles; but above and far beyond them the grey top of the hill loomed up against the sunrise. It was a pale morning: in the East, behind long clouds like lines of soiled wool stained red at the edges, lay glimmering deeps of yellow. The sky spoke of rain to come; but the light was broadening quickly, and the red flowers on the beans began to glow against the wet green leaves.
- In the House of Tom Bombadil, FOTR

Less lyrical and more earthy, but equally powerful in terms of the ability of words to convey vivid mental images.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 8:18pm

Post #7 of 24 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Which leads to another of mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

I am afraid there are still a number of "misprints" in vol. I! Including the one on p. 166. But nasturtians is deliberate, and represents a final triumph over the high-handed printers. Jarrold's appears to have a highly educated pedant as a chief proof-reader, And they started correcting my English without reference to me: elfin for elven; farther for further; try to say for try and say and so on. I was put to the trouble of proving to him his own ignorance, as well as rebuking his impertinence. So, though I do not much care, I dug my toes in about nasturtians. I have always said this. It seems to be a natural anglicization that started soon after the "Indian Cress" was naturalized (from Peru, I think) in the 18th century; but it remains a minority usage. I prefer it because nasturtium is, as it were, bogusly botanical, and falsely learned.

I consulted the college gardener to this effect: 'What do you call these things, gardener?"

"I calls them tropaeolum, sir."

"But, when you're just talking to dons?"

"I says nasturtians, sir."

"Not nasturtium?"

"No, sir; that's watercress."

And that seems to be the fact of botanical nomenclature. . . .

-Letter #148

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 12:07am

Post #8 of 24 (3640 views)
Shortcut
One that I love to read [In reply to] Can't Post

from a 'feeling' standpoint, and the mood its casts -

"Yet Frodo began to hear, or imagine that he heard, something else: Like the faint fall of soft bare feet. It was never loud enough, or near enough, for him to feel certain that he heard it; but once it had started it had never stopped, while the Company was moving. But it was not an echo, for when they halted it pattered on for a little all by itself, and then grew still."

Describing something creepy, and disturbing...but in such tiny and unthreatening words. Like humanizing (Hobbitizing?) Gollum before we meet him. His reputation is sinister but his feet are small and bare and make just a quiet, soft little noise in the dark.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 12:51am

Post #9 of 24 (3632 views)
Shortcut
Relating a story told by C.S. Lewis that amused him... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The conversation (at the E&C) was pretty lively - though I cannot remember any of it now, except C.S.L.'s story of an elderly lady that he knows. (She was a student of English in the past days of Sir Walter Raleigh. At her viva she was asked: What period would you have liked to live in Miss B? In the 15th C. said she. Oh come, Miss B., wouldn't you have liked to meet the Lake poets? No, sir, I prefer the company of gentlemen. Collapse of viva.)"

(#83) Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2015, 2:04am

Post #10 of 24 (3562 views)
Shortcut
Here's one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one that's been particularly salient in my mind, as of late....

"The journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - Gandalf, to Pippin

And on a lighter note, I've always enjoyed this subtle play on words...

"He{Sauron} her{Shelob} his cat, though she owned him not." Sly

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

demnation
Rohan

Mar 15 2015, 3:26am

Post #11 of 24 (3562 views)
Shortcut
The one in my footer [In reply to] Can't Post

Everytime I read it, I'm a little pleased that it sounds nothing like the curmudgeonly reactionary Tolkien is occasionally accused of being.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

squire
Half-elven

Mar 15 2015, 4:00am

Post #12 of 24 (3529 views)
Shortcut
Boyens mis-interpreting Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Although that quote from the films draws heavily from Tolkien's famous imagery of Frodo's journey to Elvenhome, many critics rightly noted that the film version erroneously or deceptively or simplistically equates the Elves' voyage West to death itself.

"The journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take", are quasi-New Age lines that mix the author's "road" or "path" metaphor for life with the question of mortal and immortal fates in the afterlife. They are like nothing Tolkien ever wrote.

Here, for comparison, are the two quotes from Tolkien himself:
But either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which, Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind; a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise. LotR I.8

...at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. LotR VI.9

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2015, 12:27pm

Post #13 of 24 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Ach! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have known that! I've been caught copy-pasting! Thank-you squire. I am suitably chastened. Blush

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 19 2015, 10:36pm

Post #14 of 24 (3257 views)
Shortcut
And another one of mine [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why they were now riding in silence, galloping wherever the ground was grassy and smooth, with the mountains dark on their left, and in the distance the line of the river with its trees drawing ever closer. The sun had only just turned west when they started, and till evening it lay golden on the land about them. It was difficult to think of pursuing goblins behind, and when they had put many miles between them and Beorn's house they began to talk and to sing again and to forget the dark forest-path that lay in front. But in the evening when the dusk came on and the peaks of the mountains glowered against the sunset they made a camp and set a guard, and most of them slept uneasily with dreams in which there came the howl of hunting wolves and the cries of goblins. Still the next morning dawned bright and fair again.

There was an autumn-like mist white upon the ground and the air was chill, but soon the sun rose red in the East and the mists vanished, and while the shadows were still long they were off again. So they rode now for two more days, and all the while they saw nothing save grass and flowers and birds and scattered trees, and occasionally small herds of red deer browsing or sitting at noon in the shade. Sometimes Bilbo saw the horns of the harts sticking up out of the long grass, and at first he thought they were the dead branches of trees.

- Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit

Simple, yet evocative. This is why I love Tolkien -- his writings have the ability to convey immensely vivid images with minimal words.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 12:38pm

Post #15 of 24 (3247 views)
Shortcut
High upon my list rides. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Eomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in the speed, and the front of the first eored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Theoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 12:51pm

Post #16 of 24 (3242 views)
Shortcut
Seeds of courage [In reply to] Can't Post

But though his fear was so great that it seemed to be part of the very darkness that was round him, he found himself as he lay thinking about Bilbo Baggins and his stories, of their jogging along together in the lanes of the Shire and talking about roads and adventures. There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow. Frodo was neither very fat nor very timid; indeed, though he did not know it, Bilbo (and Gandalf) had thought him the best hobbit in the Shire. He thought he had come to the end of his adventure , and a terrible end, but the thought hardened him. He found himself stiffening, as if for a final spring; he no longer felt limp like a helpless prey.

Tolkien, J.R.R. (2012-02-15). The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 140). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition.

I never get tired of this passage about Frodo in the Barrow-down. It not only describes him but the other three hobbits and their transitions throughout the book. It seems like the rest of the Fellowship are *born* brave, or trained to be brave long before we ever meet them, but it's the hobbits that have the longest personal journey to travel of all the characters.

And it also seems to hover outside of the book as Tolkien's personal commentary on human beings: that everyone has potential for greatness waiting for the right circumstances to come out.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 12:54pm

Post #17 of 24 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Goosebumps! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 4:55pm

Post #18 of 24 (3228 views)
Shortcut
So many, and some that have already been quoted, so I'll throw in.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now men awoke and listened to Felagund as he harped and sang, and each thought that he was in some fair dream, until he saw that his fellows were awake also beside him; but they did not speak or stir while Felagund still played, because of the beauty of the music and the wonder of the song. Wisdom was in the words of the Elven-king, and the hearts grew wiser that hearkened to him; for the things of which he sang, of the making of Arda and the bliss of Aman beyond the shadows of the Sea, came as clear visions before their eyes, and his Elvish speech was interpreted in each mind according to its measure.

[from The Silmarillion, Chapter 17: 'Of the Coming of Men into the West'] Because I can see it and hear it in my mind, and I've always loved the Elves, and Finrod most of all.

And another, this time Aragorn speaking, from the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, because the language is so beautiful it sends a shiver down my spine:

' "So it seems," he said, "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced both the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go. but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory...."

I could go on - couldn't we all (!) but just one more (one-ish)

". . .Now he will ever remember thee in the sun of morning, and that last evening by the water of Aeluin in which he saw they face mirrored with a star caught in thy hair - ever, until the North-wind brings the night of his flame. Yea, and after that, sitting in the House of Mandos in the Halls of Awaiting until the end of Arda."
. . . .
Darkness fell in the room. He took her hand in the light of the fire. "Whither go you?" she said.
"North away," he said: "to the swords, and the seige, and the walls of defence - that yet awhile in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."
. . . .
"But you are not for Arda. Whither you go you may find light. Await us there, my brother - and me."

[Three lines from the ending of the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, Morgoth's Ring Part IV] I came to this maybe thirty years after first reading Lord of the Rings and thinking that there was no more real story to find out. So the Athrabeth leapt off the page - first because it was Finrod speaking: then that long, beautiful, sad dialogue between elvenkind and human (with the human side voiced by a woman - thank you Tolkien! Then, most of all because I wasn't expecting it, a new character and a new story walking off the page - Aegnor, Aikanar, the Sharp-flame, swift and eager, and his love for Andreth. And that last line is a pure joy.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 6:18pm

Post #19 of 24 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Oh. So much sadness and love there. Beautiful. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"But you are not for Arda. Whither you go you may find light. Await us there, my brother - and me."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 6:39pm

Post #20 of 24 (3214 views)
Shortcut
Ah, to rank, to rank?. . . not possible . . .for me . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

This one that dormouse chose just I have to finish. . . As BlackFox says “Goosebumps”. . . and moist eyes!

' "So it seems," he said, "But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced both the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go. but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory...."

”. . .Farewell!”
“’Estel, Estel!” she cried,and with that even as he took her hand and kissed it, he fell into sleep. Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him in wonder; for they saw that the grace of his youth, and the valour of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendor of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world.
‘But Arwen went forth from the House, and the light of her eyes was quenched, and it seemed to her people that she had become cold and grey as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Then she said farewell to Eldarion, and to her daughters, and to all whom she had loved; and she went out from the city of Minas Tirith and passed away to the land of Lorien, and dwelt there alone under the fading trees until winter came. Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent.
‘There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea. . .’

The beauty, the poignancy, the heartbreak!

Question: Does it seem that Arwen had, as Aragorn, the “grace to go” at her will? (She laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth.)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 9:13am

Post #21 of 24 (3121 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that.

I can't think of any other writer capable of turning words into music the way Tolkien could. Beautiful, and heartbreaking.

Roheryn1
The Shire

Mar 28 2015, 2:29pm

Post #22 of 24 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you all for this beautiful thread. The description of Arwen’s fate always leaves me in tears - and Hugo does such a poignant narration in the movie !

Here is one of my own favorites among so many…

Out of doubt, out of dark to the days riding
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope’s end I rode and to heart’s breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall !

These staves he spoke, yet he laughed as he said them. For once more lust of battle was on him, and he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king: the lord of a fell people. And lo! even as he laughed at despair he looked out again on the black ships, and he lifted up his sword to defy them.
And then wonder took him, and a great joy; and he cast his sword up in the sunlight and sang as he caught it.

But then there's also

...Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowbox who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dínen...

And...and ...and...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 28 2015, 10:16pm

Post #23 of 24 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes . .. and welcome to TORn Roheryn1 [In reply to] Can't Post

And there's Gleowine's somewhat mimical Ode to Theoden:
Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising
he rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;
over death, over dread, over doom lifted
out of loss, out of life, unto long glory. Heart
And as the song ended, as Merry we can't help but shed a tear or two.

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 7:53pm

Post #24 of 24 (2842 views)
Shortcut
My signature quotes! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.