Cyclone bearing down on Vanuatu

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2015, 7:05pm

Post #1 of 18 (742 views)
Shortcut
Cyclone bearing down on Vanuatu Can't Post

Please keep the people of lovely Vanuatu in your thoughts:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/67314645/tropical-cyclone-pam-becomes-category-5-supercyclone.

It'll probably be heading our way after Vanuatu, but will almost certainly be a bit less destructive by then.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 12 2015, 7:37pm

Post #2 of 18 (701 views)
Shortcut
Sending virtual prayers [In reply to] Can't Post

That looks very nasty, I hope all in its path find safe shelter and protection.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 12 2015, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 18 (695 views)
Shortcut
Buckle down and stay safe [In reply to] Can't Post

Will pray everyone is spared hardship.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2015, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 18 (690 views)
Shortcut
Cyclone Bola was a category 2 storm [In reply to] Can't Post

that did plenty of damage in New Zealand when it hit hear as an ex-tropical storm. Now Pam's a category 5? I hope the people of Vanuatu come through this much better than expected - and that we come through the dregs alright too.

Kimi, is your property generally exposed in high winds, or are you sheltered?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2015, 9:32pm

Post #5 of 18 (690 views)
Shortcut
We'll probably be fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I fully expect to lose electricity, which for us also means losing running water (makes me appreciate mod cons all the more!) But we're not very near the coast, and are well above the nearest waterways, so flooding on site isn't an issue, although we'll be cut off from the main road.

The house is very solid. We may well lose some tree branches, and maybe some trees. We'll move the sheep to more sheltered pasture, and it'll be worth harvesting everything that's at all ready in the orchard and garden.

I keep thinking of the wonderful, warm, generous people we've met in Vanuatu, though. It must be terrifying to have a monster storm like that bearing down on them. Damage to infrastructure seems inevitable - I fervently hope and pray it doesn't also mean loss of life.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2015, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 18 (679 views)
Shortcut
What's the topography of Vanuatu's islands like? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they have the space and elevation to handle the wave heights? (I'm hoping the people have sturdily-built emergency buildings to go to during the winds' strongest hours. One of our building managers worked in the Cook Islands for several months a few years ago as part of a Government programme to rebuild houses after they were torn apart by a cyclone.)

I have a friend near Silverdale whose house is in a wind tunnel - last time there were high winds, the chicken coop blew up their driveway. They'll have to bring everything inside for this one.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 12 2015, 10:02pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 12 2015, 10:02pm

Post #7 of 18 (674 views)
Shortcut
Its ... huge [In reply to] Can't Post

Best wishes to all in its path. Angelic

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2015, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 18 (666 views)
Shortcut
The most populated ones [In reply to] Can't Post

Do have high ground. Port Vila is by far the largest town, and apparently it's looking empty, with buildings boarded up and the bustling market closed, and people just going home to wait it out.

The villages are often some way back from the coast, but there are smaller settlements close to the water - I'm sure the people there will be heading inland and higher up. Many of the houses in the villages we've been to won't survive this sort of wind, but the larger settlements do have some solid public buildings and churches that will be used for shelter.

There are coconut palms everywhere, and Tanna (an island we stayed on last year) has coffee plantations and precious sandalwood trees. If the crops are destroyed, that will add to hardship.

Some photos of the preparations here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-12/vanuatu-prepares-for-evacuations-ahead-of-cyclone-pam/6309950

The hotel to the left of the first picture in the slideshow is where we spent a night last year while waiting to catch a flight to Tanna. It's in downtown Port Vila, right on the main road, and as you can see that downtown area is right by the water's edge.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 12 2015, 10:56pm

Post #9 of 18 (659 views)
Shortcut
That looks vicious - [In reply to] Can't Post

best of luck to all in its path.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2015, 2:46pm

Post #10 of 18 (637 views)
Shortcut
Watching the news, I couldn't put my finger on what looked odd in the sattelite pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I remembered - cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere rotate counterclockwise when seen from space with the north pole at the top of the image.

Hope everyone is safe and sound and missed too much damage.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2015, 8:22pm

Post #11 of 18 (616 views)
Shortcut
Latest reports: dozens feared dead even before it hit the most populated provinces. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Mar 13 2015, 8:46pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2015, 1:28am

Post #12 of 18 (593 views)
Shortcut
I saw a news report about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoping this storm doesn't do even more damage.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 12:45pm

Post #13 of 18 (567 views)
Shortcut
Oh no.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Prayers... wishes... this is so terrifying...

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 5:11pm

Post #14 of 18 (560 views)
Shortcut
What an awful, helpless feeling it must be [In reply to] Can't Post

to watch this thing coming in. Will they get some international help in rebuilding?

Prayers for all there.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2015, 8:16am

Post #15 of 18 (534 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about you tonight, Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

And really hoping all your battening-down of hatches keeps everyone and everything safe through the storm. Let us know how you're faring, when you can!

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 15 2015, 9:01am

Post #16 of 18 (513 views)
Shortcut
How to back up your prayers. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.unicef.org.nz/...401&referrerid=0

https://www.redcross.org.nz/...cific-disaster-fund/

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 15 2015, 12:01pm

Post #17 of 18 (491 views)
Shortcut
Excellent. Thank you. The news reports [In reply to] Can't Post

are just awful. 90% of the houses gone.Frown

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2015, 11:15pm

Post #18 of 18 (410 views)
Shortcut
For those in the US who want to contribute [In reply to] Can't Post

I had some problems trying to use my US credit card on these sites so I went to Convoy of Hope to donate. They have an excellent reputation and provide a mailing address for those who would prefer to send a check.

http://www.convoyofhope.org/...esponse/cyclone-pam/

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.