Walk to Rivendell - March 12 and 19!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2015, 2:46pm

Post #1 of 31 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - March 12 and 19! Can't Post

Sorry about the unintended gap in the WtR threads last week - life got a bit wonky on me, and I'm still trying to untangle some of the projects.

But, hey, we're here, it's Thursday, Spring is arriving to this little corner of the world - maybe to yours, as well, or maybe you have the first stirrings of Fall - so how go your walks through Middle Earth? What's getting you to move?

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 30
Cumulative miles: 192
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

My weekly numbers are down a bit from where I would like - having a lot of sitting to do didn't help. But our weather has made a dramatic turn to the warmer, and the snow is melting, so I've been able to resume walking outside. Beamer (my daughter) even joined me yesterday evening! I'm taking the chance while I can get it - March and April are traditionally our snowiest months!

And in Middle Earth, we're getting close to leaving those blasted midgies behind - can't come soon enough!

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 20 2015, 2:21am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 12 2015, 4:17pm

Post #2 of 31 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear from you again. It is beginning to look like spring here as well. The snow is almost entirely gone and the first of snowdrops are blooming. And the days are continuously getting longer, offering more and more opportunity to spend time outdoors.

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 46
Cumulative miles: 195

In Middle-earth, I'm, like you, close to leaving the Midgewater Marshes (and the neekerbreekers) behind me. Yay!

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 11:12am

Post #3 of 31 (989 views)
Shortcut
Greetings Fellow Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howdy All!

No worries, Arandiel.... I'm thinking we're all so busy on our treks that a little break is no tribble at all :)

I'm taking advantage in the sudden break in our weather. 3 weeks early we're going to be in the 50s in Michigan! *fist in the air* This time last week we were shivering like jello!

I'm approaching Weathertop and ready for a climb this weekend.

Thanks lots for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel... and I'll see everyone on the Quest!

Miles covered: 22 miles 3/5; 25 miles 3/12
Cumulated miles: 236
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Rivendell and stay at the Last Homely House – 485 miles

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2015, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 31 (985 views)
Shortcut
I have been cleared by my doctor to walk! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoo Hoo!

As long as I do my stretches that is.

So I am starting this weekend. Can't wait! And the weather is finally melting the ice and snow so I can walk and not skate. Smile

Packing my bag now. I think I will try for Rivendell! Elrond here I come. And don't worry, I like green food. Cool

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 4:04pm

Post #5 of 31 (963 views)
Shortcut
Woot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to have you join us. Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2015, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 31 (943 views)
Shortcut
Wow - snowdrops! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're getting some stirring from the bulbs around here, but no blooms yet.

Spring is so motivating, I find. Enjoy!

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2015, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 31 (942 views)
Shortcut
Weathertop? That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

As you often say, ZOOOMMMM!

Enjoy the break in the weather, gramma, and may the snows tribble you no more this season!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2015, 7:30pm

Post #8 of 31 (940 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Welcome, Dame Ioreth [In reply to] Can't Post

We're glad to have you here, and I hope you enjoy the journey - and the company!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 7:42pm

Post #9 of 31 (937 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I enjoy summertime, spring may very well be my favourite season of the year.

Hopefully you'll be seeing the first of blossoms soon as well. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 9:06pm

Post #10 of 31 (930 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh.... Spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect weather for foxes trapped in the snow all winter :)

Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 9:10pm

Post #11 of 31 (930 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Same to you, gramma! Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2015, 2:21am

Post #12 of 31 (911 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention... [In reply to] Can't Post

No sooner had I written that the bulbs weren't in bloom yet, than I spied half-a-dozen of our purple crocuses, and one yellow one, in the front lawn. Show-offs. Cool

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 14 2015, 10:05am

Post #13 of 31 (895 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta love those first blossoms. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14 2015, 12:30pm

Post #14 of 31 (886 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What perfect timing on the healing *high five* The weather will be such a great companion as you take to the road again :)

TAKE CARE!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 4:15pm

Post #15 of 31 (840 views)
Shortcut
Checking in late... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as usual.

It's been two busy weeks for me, lots of appointments and events that required running to and fro, and I still have two more relatively busy weeks ahead, but maybe without quite so much running around. The weather has also taken a turn for the better, so I have managed to get out a bit and take a few walks in the forest. Last weekend we finally got to meet our future dog - she is the cutest little puppy imaginable, and she'll be coming home to us at Easter or the week after.

Here is my progress for the last two weeks:
Miles covered: 72
Cumulative miles: 280
Goal: To Rivendell and beyond

So, I am past Weathertop now...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2015, 12:28am

Post #16 of 31 (823 views)
Shortcut
Puppy On Board.... soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so exciting!! It's really good timing to get your new family member just when Spring is in full swing. :D

Have a less-hectic, very relaxing week or two or three :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2015, 4:50pm

Post #17 of 31 (804 views)
Shortcut
I say, if it works for Wizards, it works for us - [In reply to] Can't Post

'A TORn Walker is never late'; we arrive precisely when we mean to.Wink

Wonderful news about your puppy, but, oh, the wait! I hope it goes well and quickly for you, Angharad73!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2015, 2:00am

Post #18 of 31 (757 views)
Shortcut
Thread post for Thursday, March 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm grabbing the chance while I can - our internet connection is acting up this week, and it's been especially bad today. The cable tech comes tomorrow to find out what's going on. Fun times...

So, how go your journeys this week?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 13
Cumulative miles: 192

A slow week for me, as I spent a lot of time trying to make progress on a rather sedentary project. But I also got in some time on my core strength exercise, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Arandiel

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 10:03am

Post #19 of 31 (745 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get your connection fixed as quickly as possible. Until then, hang in there!

Fantastic weather and lots of errands have had a nice impact on my mileage.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 38
Cumulative miles: 233

In Middle-earth, I'm following a path south towards Weathertop. *gulp* On a more cheerful note, I'm now closer to Rivendell than I am to Bag End. Yay!

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 12:27pm

Post #20 of 31 (746 views)
Shortcut
I'm baa-a-aack [In reply to] Can't Post

Well - it's been a long hiatus for me from this thread - 4.5 years according to my logs. In the meantime, I've had some periods of good exercise and some, er, uh, well, not so good.

But - I'm starting a new effort to drop a few pounds and focus on getting more exercise so i decided to pick up the Walk again. Thanks, Arandiel for faithfully keeping this thread going all these years!

When last I was seen in these parts, Gandalf & Pippen were atop Shadowfax on their way to Minas Tirith, and I gotta say, that's one boorrrrrrinnng stretch of the Walk. So I've decided to start over and try out this new-fangled Hobbit walk...quest....thing.

So far I've logged 10 miles. We've caught up with the Dwarves (and no wonder - Bilbo ran 2-minute miles on the way there! You can know everything there is to know about Hobbits, and they still find some way to surprise you....) passed the Three Farthing stone and are about to make our first camp. Hopefully there are no dangerous and foul beasts around like Tooks or talking foxes...

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 10
Cumulative miles: 10
Goal: Dragons, and TREASURE!

*Note - I convert my exercise activities into calories and calories into miles walked. In addition, since I'm trying to cut out snacks, every time I skip my normal snack time, I convert those calories I DIDN'T eat into miles walked as well. After all, a calorie not-eaten is the same as a calorie spent when it comes to meeting my weight-loss goal.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 12:45pm

Post #21 of 31 (739 views)
Shortcut
What's wrong with talking foxes? [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome (back) on board! And thank you for that awesome walking-equivalents chart -- it's been of much use to me. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 20 2015, 12:51pm

Post #22 of 31 (738 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a VERY busy week and I've gotten LOADS of walking in now that the weather is breaking and I have a few days of freedom. I should be cleaning out the basement, but I've been ACHING to walk around my country-road block of 4 miles :)

I'm with the Fellowship heading for the Wild and leaving Weathertop behind.

Thanks lots for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! *fondly waves at Fellow Travellers* See everyone on the Road!!!

Miles covered: 34 miles
Cumulated miles: 270
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Rivendell and stay at the Last Homely House – 485 miles

sample

TIME Google Calendar

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 20 2015, 2:44pm

Post #23 of 31 (733 views)
Shortcut
Well, er, uh [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean YOU! It's those curious foxes that show up once and then never again that I don't trust.

And glad the chart has been handy!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 20 2015, 3:55pm

Post #24 of 31 (728 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, I'll take your word for it.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 20 2015, 3:56pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 20 2015, 4:24pm

Post #25 of 31 (727 views)
Shortcut
A good week [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a good week for me. Lots of nice weather and sunshine (except on the day the town had they Summer Day parade, of course), and I have been able to go for a decent walk in the forest almost every morning. My legs do hurt a bit at the moment, but that's just because I was so very lazy over the winter and I'm not used to regular exercise anymore. It'll get better, I suppose.

My progress this week:
Miles covered: 38
Cumulative miles: 318
Goal: Rivendell and onwards

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.