The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Hobbits, Spider slayers

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2015, 11:47pm

Post #1 of 10 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits, Spider slayers Can't Post

Now, Hobbits must have been the greatest slayers of spiders in the Legenduim. Firstly we have Bilbo coming from been the mildest member of the company to Erebor suddenly turning into an anti-spider psycopath and killing many just by himself. Now, all right I can buy that one as he was invisibe at the time, but then what about Sam? He was not invisible when he took on Shelob, yet he managed to harm the toughest, most terrible spider in all of middle-earth. Now, all right, he did have sting, and all right he was desperate about his Master's peril, but really? Would one little Hobbit really be more effective against a spider-monster than all of those Elves and Gondor-soldiers that had tried to slay it in the past? All I can say is that I bet there weren't many spiders around in the garden at Bag End!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 12 2015, 12:25am

Post #2 of 10 (1527 views)
Shortcut
Good Hamfast... [In reply to] Can't Post

Right!
There were no spiders anywhere near Bag End.

They were stopped at the borders by the Bounders! Smile
Yucky buggers... Frown

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 12 2015, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 10 (1479 views)
Shortcut
its possible [In reply to] Can't Post

its the classic david and goliath, shelob is killed using her own weight against herself onto sting, you sort of have to accept its a freak occurance or very very lucky, that combined with the phial which helps to blind her somewhat, which no other man or elf would posses.

and lets just forget about the physics and physiology of a spider that big, would never happen.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 12 2015, 6:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (1466 views)
Shortcut
No worries. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and lets just forget about the physics and physiology of a spider that big, would never happen.

I think that we can make an exception for a demon-spider (much as we do for dragons and flight). Normal physical laws don't entirely apply.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 12 2015, 6:28pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 12 2015, 6:59pm

Post #5 of 10 (1463 views)
Shortcut
thats my point! you have to accept it! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I think that we can make an exception for a demon-spider (much as we do for dragons and flight). Normal physical laws don't entirely apply.

then why does a dragon need wings?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 12 2015, 7:00pm

Post #6 of 10 (1462 views)
Shortcut
It just needs metaphorical wings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, not all dragons have wings.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 13 2015, 12:14pm

Post #7 of 10 (1332 views)
Shortcut
flying ones [In reply to] Can't Post

flying ones usually do,

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 12:19pm

Post #8 of 10 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Do they fly because they have wings... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or do they have wings because they fly?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 13 2015, 1:16pm

Post #9 of 10 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Awww. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
flying ones usually do,

Isn't it nice when you can answer your own question? Although there are Asian dragons that fly without wings, swimming through the air like eels swim in the water. It's magic!

Then there's the book The Flight of Dragons that looked at the plausability of dragons from a scientific perspective. I don't recall if it was name-checked in the credits of that Dragon's World documentary (mockumentary?) that aired on Animal Planet a few years ago (and I just noticed has Neil Gaiman listed as a creative consultant), but it probably should have been.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2015, 10:21pm

Post #10 of 10 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

None of the bigger spiders got anywhere near the Shire, but even the smaller ones I imagine would have had a hard time in Bag End.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.