The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Ralph Bakshi Film retrospective in Los Angeles this month

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 11 2015, 2:21am

Post #1 of 9 (856 views)
Shortcut
Ralph Bakshi Film retrospective in Los Angeles this month Can't Post

Ralph Bakshi will appear in person at a film retrospective of some of his most iconic animated films, presented by the American Cinematheque in conjunction with the USC School of Cinematic Arts. The films will screen at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica on the last weekend of March. You can catch a double feature of "Heavy Traffic" and "American Pop" on Friday, March 27 starting at 7:30pm. There will be a discussion with director Ralph Bakshi between these two films and a clip will be shown from his new film "Last Days of Coney Island". On the following Saturday, March 28, there will be a double feature of "The Lord of the Rings" and "Wizards", starting at 7:30pm, again with a discussion with director Ralph Bakshi between the two films.

If you have never seen this version of LOTR, or at least never seen it on the big screen, you must try and catch this screening. The rotoscoping is eye-catching, to say the least, and brings a level of veracity to the more serious themes of this story, something that was not common with animation of it's time. Bakshi Productions will be selling art in the lobby starting at 6:30pm each night, so get there early.

Staffers from TheOneRing.net will running about the theater as well, so do make sure to say hello if you see us. And what can only be called a cosmic coincidence, Tolkien Forever, the Los Angeles based smile of the Tolkien Society will be hosting Tolkien Reading Day earlier in the day on Saturday, March 28 in Downtown Los Angeles. You can find out more details about that on Facebook event page. Why not make it a true Tolkien daily double with some reading, some viewing and some Fellowship.

The Aero theater is located at 1328 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403, and you can buy tickets at the box office or in advance on Fandango. All the information you need can be found on the American Cinematheque Bakshi Tribute calendar.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 11 2015, 11:38pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 11 2015, 10:04am

Post #2 of 9 (818 views)
Shortcut
I do have some fond - although hazy - memories [In reply to] Can't Post

of this version, not having rewatched it since it was shown originally. I enjoyed the effects, the way shadowy real figures were mixed with the totally animated; I hadn't seen anything like it before. I was gutted when it only went as far as Helm's Deep, though!

squire
Half-elven

Mar 11 2015, 8:59pm

Post #3 of 9 (815 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Society may well be smiling [In reply to] Can't Post

They're probably good sports, being Tolkien fans from long before the days of the Films.

But "News From Bree" should be grimacing in embarrassment.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 11 2015, 10:58pm

Post #4 of 9 (800 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh - [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that and wondered if it was text that had been copied and pasted and fallen victim to a non-Tolkien-friendly spellchecker!

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 12 2015, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 9 (765 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if he'll ever show the reference film he shot for the second half? He's said he still has it.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

acheron
Gondor

Mar 12 2015, 7:26pm

Post #6 of 9 (747 views)
Shortcut
Thought the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

As they say, "damn you, autocorrect!"

Reminds me of court filings that make accusations of "tortuous" interference. (Or even "torturous".. or on at least one occasion, "tortoise".) (Correct reference here, if you don't know any lawyers.)

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 12 2015, 11:47pm

Post #7 of 9 (719 views)
Shortcut
best quote attributed to any on screen LOTR character is for the Bakshi "Viking" Boromir. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Gondor has no pants, Gondor needs no pants"

squire
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 7:28pm

Post #8 of 9 (684 views)
Shortcut
I wish I thought it was that [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get any autocorrect program I have to spot 'smial' and change it to 'smile'. No, I have a sinking feeling that some ink-stained drudge at TheOneRing.net's News From Bree, part of the world's premier Tolkien fan site, doesn't know what a smial is.

But there may be a better explanation... "I thought only as do all men in my message board, and I would gladly learn better."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Tintallė
Gondor

Mar 15 2015, 2:09am

Post #9 of 9 (645 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Missed that entirely. Thought you were referring to [In reply to] Can't Post

"something that was not common with animation of it's time."

The misplaced apostrophe makes me crazy. The difference between "its" and "it's" is not exactly rocket science.

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Mar 15 2015, 2:10am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.