The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Suggestion sought from anyone living in London

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2015, 5:05am

Post #1 of 24 (3666 views)
Shortcut
Suggestion sought from anyone living in London Can't Post

My friend and I are going to London this fall, I traveling from Hawaii and she from California. We plan to stay in London only about 6 days (we will be there because I got tickets to Hamlet with BC!). We would like either a B&B or a hotel in central London that would be in a moderate price range. Here are our basic needs (we are both over 60 btw so hostels are out thank you):

- We need something with either breakfast included or a restaurant in the premise.
- We need twin beds with an ensuite bathroom.
- We need to be within easy walking distance of a tube station (neither of us can walk very far due to physical limitations).
- Rooms must be clean, non-smoking.
- Areas we plan on visiting include Charring Cross Rd, Leicester Square, Oxford Street, but we don't intend on visiting some of the major tourist sites since we've both been in London at least once (myself only one time many years ago).We don't need suggestions on places to visit because we already have our plans for that.

If anyone knows of places for accommodations we might look into (we are browsing through Booking and Lonely Planet websites), please feel free to PM me. I can also tell you more specifics if you do, like our hoped-for price range etc.

Thanks in advance!
Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 10 2015, 7:06am

Post #2 of 24 (3622 views)
Shortcut
This is where we always stay: [In reply to] Can't Post

Citadines, Trafalgar Sq.. They have apartments in various configurations, at very reasonable prices (less than most hotels). The apartment includes a tiny kitchen and frig, so we always go to a grocery store and get breakfast supplies and eat in, saving our money for other meals. It's a short walk to the Charing Cross tube station in one direction, and Westminster in the other. Very near the river.

BTW, I have relied on TripAdvisor.com for these things on multiple continents for many years.

Hawaii, eh? Do I know you? If not, I should! I live near Diamond Head.

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 10 2015, 7:30am

Post #3 of 24 (3615 views)
Shortcut
All Hotel Rooms in the UK are Non-Smoking [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to keep the costs down, try Premier Inns or Travelodge. They are relatively budget-friiendly and Premier Inn in particular have a lot of very new properties near some of London's main railway stations:

http://www.premierinn.com/

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2015, 3:10pm

Post #4 of 24 (3587 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

We will look into this place. It's a real plus since it has a frig! My friend is allergic to a lot of foods and it would be nice to keep some things that she can eat.

And yes, you do know me after all. We met once when you came to one of our Tol Andúnë get togethers and I informed you about our Hobbit Premier Party this last fall.
Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2015, 3:12pm

Post #5 of 24 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Thank you smtfhw! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely look into these! I'm grateful for your suggestions!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2015, 3:20pm

Post #6 of 24 (3582 views)
Shortcut
Any room in a suitcase for me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe during a layover in DC on the way across the pond I could stow away? I'll jump out and carry it once we get to England. Smile

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Mar 10 2015, 3:31pm

Post #7 of 24 (3582 views)
Shortcut
breakfast in [In reply to] Can't Post

is a very good idea in London. I have stayed in B&Bs there and . . . let's just say the English idea of breakfast is very different from the American one. Toast put in a rack so that it's cold and dried out by the time you get it is just one part of it.

On the other hand, the English idea of "tea" in the afternoon is terrific. I learned how to make tea the English way & still do, and 4 o'clock is the perfect time to sit down & have a cuppa with a biscuit.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2015, 4:48pm

Post #8 of 24 (3571 views)
Shortcut
Hi Dame Ioreth [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I would normally say hop in! But I'm going through Canada, so no....

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 10 2015, 8:01pm

Post #9 of 24 (3557 views)
Shortcut
All I Can Say Is... [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have been very unlucky in your choice of B&Bs.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 10 2015, 9:19pm

Post #10 of 24 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Rats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I had a chance of finally getting to England. Cool

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 11 2015, 1:46am

Post #11 of 24 (3527 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I couldn't make it to the party! Hope you have a wonderful time in England!

Annael
Immortal

Mar 11 2015, 2:40am

Post #12 of 24 (3524 views)
Shortcut
we were in England for a month [In reply to] Can't Post

the cold toast, greasy eggs, & beans were pretty much a regular feature.

This was the 70s. Maybe it's better now.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2015, 7:42am

Post #13 of 24 (3482 views)
Shortcut
You make it sound as if it should be wrong ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the cold toast, greasy eggs, & beans were pretty much a regular feature.

Sounds rather good to me. Add a hash brown and a sausage and you have a perfect breakfast right there. Tongue

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 11 2015, 8:23am

Post #14 of 24 (3479 views)
Shortcut
It was the 70s. [In reply to] Can't Post

Things a very much better now.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 11 2015, 8:54am

Post #15 of 24 (3477 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

That's cuisine, that is. I think I'd add chips, though.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 11 2015, 11:12am

Post #16 of 24 (3457 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

the spam WinkAngelic

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Annael
Immortal

Mar 11 2015, 5:11pm

Post #17 of 24 (3433 views)
Shortcut
I note [In reply to] Can't Post

that on a recent "Top Gear," Jeremy and James had breakfast in a Canadian diner and were served what looked like a typical American breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon - and were most impressed. "Now that's a breakfast!" exclaimed Jezzer.

WARM toast dripping with butter on the side, of course.

-- Thomas Moore

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 11 2015, 5:12pm)

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 11 2015, 6:51pm

Post #18 of 24 (3419 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome to believe anything those two say - I wouldn't actually believe that pair of idiots (and particularly the spectacularly loathsome Clarkson) if they told me the sky was blue (at least not without checking for myself). Dreadful pair of... well, I won't say what I think of them here.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2015, 8:37pm

Post #19 of 24 (3397 views)
Shortcut
Hey hey now, let's not belittle the Spam! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's practically our state mascot! LOL! Seriously! (I myself am partial to the turkey Spam, since I don't eat pork). They serve it at breakfast at McD's here. And there's nothing quite so localiscious as a Spam musubi! Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 12 2015, 6:41am

Post #20 of 24 (3366 views)
Shortcut
I'm wondering where [In reply to] Can't Post

the 'sack Clarkson' petition is, so that I can sign that one instead of the other ridiculous one that is going around.

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 12 2015, 7:36am

Post #21 of 24 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

My take on it is that if he's gone I might actually start watching again. I stopped when it stopped actually being about cars. I've met the man once - once was enough - and was not impressed to discover that here was a man who was a) loud and obnoxious and b) incapable of operating a coffee machine.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2015, 12:36pm

Post #22 of 24 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. This thread made me dream last night that I was on vacation in London [In reply to] Can't Post

and on my way to the British Museum after checking into that beautiful old hotel that was on the Anglophile Channel Facebook page the other day.

And then I woke up.

But at least there's TORN! Smile Hope you guys have a fantastic vacation.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 12 2015, 3:55pm

Post #23 of 24 (3326 views)
Shortcut
clardiges [In reply to] Can't Post

depending on budget, moderate can mean anything but anything from £100 you should get something rather nice try www.lastminute.com they have some great deals on nice hotels. or get a cheaper b+b for a 4 nights and go posh for 2, a night at claridges would be amazing.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 12 2015, 9:50pm

Post #24 of 24 (3301 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have stayed in a couple of 5-star London hotels, and found the experience more aggravating than anything else. They are for people who have inexhaustible funds and don't ask questions, because these hotels charge you huge fees for everything: internet service, telephone, meals, every time you turn around something costs twice or three times as much as it should. You get much more for far less money at the nicer budget hotels, with less hassle.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.