fan edits should all be banned
View Results (136 votes)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2015, 4:08am

Post #26 of 30 (1051 views)
Shortcut
If you know of... [In reply to] Can't Post

any legal cases or official information (from studios or lawyers, not fans) where fanedits are considered the same as other types of fan art, we would be interested in seeing it. Parody, satire, and derivative works are covered under Fair Use and there are legal precedents. But as far as I have been able to tell, fanedits do not fit the current criteria for Fair Use exceptions. And the DVD licensing issue is a second legal problem that Fair Use doesn't cover.

I realize that a lot of people think fanedits should be classed with other forms of fan art and strongly want them to be, but I have not seen anything to indicate that the law agrees as yet. Perhaps in the future that may change, but we have to shape our policy by how the law is interpreted now. Those who want to see fanedits will probably not have much trouble finding them - just not on TORN.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Apr 6 2015, 1:51pm

Post #27 of 30 (1023 views)
Shortcut
was going to give this as an example but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...its seems even steven sodergergh cant even get round the issue!

http://extension765.com/sdr/23-the-return-of-w-de-rijk

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 3:09pm

Post #28 of 30 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Is it Art? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
surely a fanedit could be classed as an artwork and under the laws permitting use of material in works of art/comedy/parodies would be a legitimate and legal thing to link to. if fanedit links are banned so should parodies and all artwork that uses WB's middle earth likeness and imagery

I suppose that if Roy Lichtenstein's pop-art swipes of comic-book illustrations can be considered Art then so could fan-edits.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2015, 3:54pm

Post #29 of 30 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Silverlode for answering all the questions with this one post [In reply to] Can't Post

The answer is buried in the discussion but it can be found here. I was not sure of the legal ground but now I see the background. It makes perfect sense to me and to my mind should answer all questions.

I can understand folks being disappointed that there particular requests are not being met but things do not always go the way of individual needs here or anywhere. (Ooh, that sounds very Spock-like...)

It is a tribute to TORn's diverse audience that those seeking the ready-made want to come here. But ask any film maker, any website moderator, those things that mean the most and that accomplish the most come from years are sweat and toil, not from short cuts.

I applaud and support the Modars in their efforts to give us a wonderful playground in which to play while protecting that same playground from legal issues that could shut it down or divisiveness that drives folks away. It's not an easy task; it's a fine line they tread every day. Smile

So thank you Silverlode for a very succinct answer to the issue and thank you to all the Modars for a very lovely place to play. You take the heat so we can have our fun. I appreciate it very very much and I know many others do also.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 6 2015, 6:50pm

Post #30 of 30 (1016 views)
Shortcut
^ What she said ^ // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.