19 Stupid Things You Shouldn't Say To Lord Of The Rings Fans

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 8 2015, 8:10pm

Post #1 of 11 (845 views)
Shortcut
19 Stupid Things You Shouldn't Say To Lord Of The Rings Fans Can't Post

http://whatculture.com/...of-the-rings-fan.php

Have you had personal experiences with any of these? How did you react/respond? SmileLaugh

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 8 2015, 9:38pm

Post #2 of 11 (764 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Numbers:

And number 1, nearly every time someone talks about LOTR.

When people bring these things up to me, I initially respond by asking if they've read the books. The answer is 'no' more often than not, so I don't even bother to try and reason with them if that's the case.

I've learned to take it all with a good sense of humor, either way.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 8 2015, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 11 (749 views)
Shortcut
I laugh 'em off.... [In reply to] Can't Post

What else can you do?

I haven't had experience of all those. Number 1, of course. and the 'isn't that just for hippies'. My mum's favourite was always "Why do the baddies have such terrible dental work?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 8 2015, 11:57pm

Post #4 of 11 (747 views)
Shortcut
There were a few there [In reply to] Can't Post

that I've heard about the eagles, the endings, and too long... but the one that always got me was "Isn't it like Harry Potter?" *upchuck*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

squire
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 1:03am

Post #5 of 11 (749 views)
Shortcut
More like '16 Stupid Things You Shouldn't Say To LotR Movie Fans' (what do you mean, there's a book too?) [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate that vast reaches of the internet think Lord of the Rings is the film sequel to The Hobbit trilogy, with some kind of arcane backstory that no one actually reads today. But this light-hearted goof doesn't even pretend to believe a fan might have gotten interested in the books first. There's not even a question about Tom Bombadil!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 9 2015, 7:46pm

Post #6 of 11 (674 views)
Shortcut
9 made me laugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

and if you drop him, does he always land on his feet??

demnation
Rohan

Mar 12 2015, 8:53pm

Post #7 of 11 (550 views)
Shortcut
Funny. But none of these are really "arguments" [In reply to] Can't Post

worth giving notice to and therefore don't really faze me. And nobody really cares about Stuart Townsend.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2015, 11:56pm

Post #8 of 11 (527 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

I dealt with #20 though. "Why do you waste your time reading those books again? I only read classics."

To which my response was..."The book is 50 years old, and has been continuously in print since then. It has also been translated into more languages than I can keep track of. If this is not a classic, no novel of the 20th century is."

sador
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 11:28am

Post #9 of 11 (505 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily. [In reply to] Can't Post

The list assumes that a person who says stupid things to taunt a LotR fan will be familiar with the movies, but not with the book.
In fact, the author does answer some of them with 'that's how it is in the book' - which apparently convinces the person s/he's up against that s/he some nerd there's no fun in taunting.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 13 2015, 12:05pm

Post #10 of 11 (505 views)
Shortcut
That's why I said 16, not 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Items 16, 11, and 7 are pretty clearly based on a critic's dislike of the book. As you say, all 19 of the criticisms are pretty thoughtless or "stupid", whether of the book or the films - or at least they're phrased so in this light-hearted spoof.

I do think, as a matter of art, that to answer criticism of an adaptation like a film by referring the critic to the original book, is a sign that the film's defender wants to avoid facing the flaws in the film. A good film adaptation stands on its own as a story and a work of art, and shouldn't need any support from its source to make sense to its audience on every level. But that's just me, of course!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Farficom
Rivendell

Mar 18 2015, 8:10am

Post #11 of 11 (401 views)
Shortcut
Why can't people just make a list that you don't have to click though, hehe. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a feeling there would be eagles, and was not disappointed. I'm all for more of them... but that my friends would have been too easy. That is all I can say to those who just don't get it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.