I do in the spring [In reply to] Can't Post

But not in the autumn. Laugh

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 8 2015, 6:53pm

Post #3 of 40 (2534 views)
Shortcut
You’ve done it BlackFox.. [In reply to] Can't Post

If we do away with all the “Fall-backs” (autumn), and keep the “Spring-forwards” we would soon find ourselves at some unknown time in the future.

Absolute Genius… You’ve inadvertently invented the TIME MACHINE! LaughLaugh

*BF heads toward the Patent Office* Angelic

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 8 2015, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 40 (2521 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bow before me, mortals! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 2:10am

Post #5 of 40 (2491 views)
Shortcut
I didn't love it at 6/5 a.m. this morning. I had quite a few unkind words for it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 9 2015, 2:42am

Post #6 of 40 (2496 views)
Shortcut
changing the clocks can be a pain [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the one in my mother's car -- but the hour of daylight at the end of the day is good.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 9 2015, 4:40am

Post #7 of 40 (2476 views)
Shortcut
Interesting you didn't give us a "Yes" option ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of my clocks change automatically, and at least in the spring, I'm excited to do it for the rest. So today was "yay! change the clocks" and "yay! it's still light at 7pm!" Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 6:17am

Post #8 of 40 (2477 views)
Shortcut
I preferred ours before it was extended to 27 weeks [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't put our clocks back until April, when under the old system we would be doing it about now.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2015, 8:15am

Post #9 of 40 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I dislike how dark the mornings are so early in the year.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 8:25am

Post #10 of 40 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Not quite irrelevant here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hawaii doesn't do Daylight Savings. But it does change how I relate to my kids in TX (1 hour farther away in summer).

I have read several articles to the effect that the main advocates for DST are commercial enterprises because people shop more when it's light in the summer.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 9 2015, 1:25pm

Post #11 of 40 (2453 views)
Shortcut
But I did take mercy with the “other” option [In reply to] Can't Post

We have about a dozen clocks (all different) in our home, plus 2 cars.

They all have a ‘secret’ way of changing the hour.

Besides our doggies don’t understand why they have to go to bed an hour earlier. er…. is it later?
Go figure…..WinkWink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 3:03pm

Post #12 of 40 (2450 views)
Shortcut
DST [In reply to] Can't Post

I read an article covering myths about Daylight Savings Time a couple of days ago. For example: DSL was not introduced to help farmers; in fact, many (if not the majority of) farmers vociferously opposed the change.

Daylight Savings Time should probably be abolished. The only other really interesting option would be to make it the year-'round standard, but I don't see that happening short of a Federal act and international cooperation and coordination. It is already the standard where it is observed in the U.S. in the sense that we are on DST for two-thirds of the year now.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 9 2015, 3:05pm)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 4:22pm

Post #13 of 40 (2444 views)
Shortcut
It's silly [In reply to] Can't Post

in the winter here we only get 8 hours of daylight; in the summer, we get 16. Changing the clocks doesn't alter that. But I've done it all my life so changing them is no big deal.

And I do enjoy the extra hour of sleep when we "fall back."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 6:52pm

Post #14 of 40 (2448 views)
Shortcut
5 Myths about Daylight Saving Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is that Washington Post article that I mentioned earlier: 5 myths about daylight saving time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 7:45pm

Post #15 of 40 (2436 views)
Shortcut
No "yes" options? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love DLS in the summer: I can leave town after work and get to the trailhead by 6 PM and still get in a four-hour hike. But DLS in the winter would be a pain: we tried it in 1973, and walking two miles alone to school in the pitch dark was pretty scary.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 7:55pm

Post #16 of 40 (2440 views)
Shortcut
Year-round would be dangerous. [In reply to] Can't Post

They tried that in 1973, and school kids were walking in the pitch dark and there were more accidents with them being hit by cars.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 7:58pm

Post #17 of 40 (2423 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you... I love the extra hour in the evening [In reply to] Can't Post

with full knowledge that it isn't the sun's movement that changes, it's the pattern of society.

I'm essentially made/allowed to go to work an hour earlier which gives me more sunlight after work and dinner.

And especially as it becomes more difficult for me to drive after dark, I appreciate more time to be out and about after dinner.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 8:10pm

Post #18 of 40 (2418 views)
Shortcut
One Point in Favor. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in the winter here we only get 8 hours of daylight; in the summer, we get 16. Changing the clocks doesn't alter that. But I've done it all my life so changing them is no big deal.

And I do enjoy the extra hour of sleep when we "fall back."

There is something to be said for not having the Sun filtering through one's bedroom window at just past 4:30 in the morning. I also don't mind sunset not falling until almost 9 p.m.

Aunt Dora Baggins posted:

They tried that in 1973, and school kids were walking in the pitch dark and there were more accidents with them being hit by cars.

Yes, I remember that. I was in junior high at that time ('though I took the bus). That's a good point, although I might argue that there are studies on children and sleep that suggest that school probably starts too early for many students.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 9 2015, 8:17pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 9 2015, 9:45pm

Post #19 of 40 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Yes option?... [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I just gave an “other” option for those to give their opinions.

Numbers do not matter in my cave. When the Yellow Light that gives warmth peeks above the edge of the world the men of my clan gather their bear-hair wraps and their sharp wooden spears and prepare for the day’s hunt. Today the Yellow Light is roofed with a dappled gray of clouds swiftly moving across the sky. Today it is cold, today the white biting flakes shriek across the sky and the wind blows, biting our frozen faces. It is as if the Spirit that gave us life wishes us to remain warm before our cave fires. Yet, we must hunt, we must hunt to live and to eat and to provide coverings for our naked bodies and for the peoples of my clan.

Numbers do not matter in my cave. When the Yellow Light that gives warmth dips below the edge of the world we must retreat to the comfort of the fiery blaze which is in our cave. For a time we tell the stories of our day’s successes and of our day’s failures. We eat what we have killed; we talk; we drink the fermented juices of the berries that grow outside our cave; till one by one the Sleeping-spirit takes us. Tomorrow, perhaps the great Yellow Light will rise higher in the sky and give us the warmth we have missed for the span of many moons. Perhaps tomorrow the white flakes of the cold will not bite as deep.

Numbers do not matter in my cave. It is dark or it is light. We do not care. We live for the light; we live for the dark. We live for the hunt; we live for the warmth of our mate’s gentle caress. These things we live for, and it is good.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 10:08pm

Post #20 of 40 (2414 views)
Shortcut
My only problem with DST [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it messes up my sundials and astrolabes (I'm a sundial enthusiast.) But it isn't that hard to add an hour in my mind.

If they ever do away with DST, I'll probably just start getting up an hour earlier in the summer anyway.

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 10 2015, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 40 (2352 views)
Shortcut
Sunlight [In reply to] Can't Post

I chose other, I don't mind moving the clocks, spring forward, fall back is kind of a way of life but I wish they did double summer time for once as in go forward two hours for a one off time in the spring, that would then make a real difference in the winter time here and would have a better impact on the hours of darkness in the winter. I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark!

(This post was edited by Ciars on Mar 10 2015, 6:49pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2015, 2:24am

Post #22 of 40 (2349 views)
Shortcut
$*%^%$#@%$#@%$&*&)(**(*_)_(+_)+)*&%^%$#^@#^^%&*^* [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownPirateMadFrown

let's see if I remember how to change my friggin watch... because I sure don't have the manual anymore...

(presses buttons randomly...)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2015, 3:45am

Post #23 of 40 (2324 views)
Shortcut
just buy a new one! [In reply to] Can't Post

;-p

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 12 2015, 5:42am

Post #24 of 40 (2314 views)
Shortcut
DST: I've just sucked away one hour of your life. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell me, how does that feel?

Kim
Valinor

Mar 12 2015, 6:10am

Post #25 of 40 (2300 views)
Shortcut
*sobs* [In reply to] Can't Post

"Interesting."

Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.