I talk to myself and I'm male
I talk to myself and I'm female
I talk and I'm under the age of 50
I talk and I'm over the age of 50
I know someone who talks, a female under 50
I know someone who talks, a male under 50
I know someone who talks, a female over 50
I know someone who talks, a male over 50
I have no idea what you're talking about :-)
View Results (98 votes)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 9:33pm

Post #26 of 42 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 10 2015, 4:18am

Post #27 of 42 (1717 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself all the time [In reply to] Can't Post

the voices in my head and I have lovely conversations Evil

Nah, I really do (though not with the voices lol). I'm a fan fiction writer (though I have written some original fiction, but only has a poem of mine for Veteran's Day ever gotten published- I haven't actively pursued publishing for anything original otherwise).

When I talk to myself, I am working out scenes and storylines for my characters in my fan fiction. I try different lines of dialogue mostly, and see what works best, what flows naturally, and (most importantly for dialogue) I make sure that what I'm saying can be mentally repeated back to me in the voice of the character (like if Gandalf is saying ___, does it sound like Gandalf would actually say that?). If the answer is yes, then I'm good to go (basically, if I can believably "hear" the character speak the line). If not, then I rework it until I can come up with a satisfactory string of dialogue.

It's an excellent way that I can act out and brainstorm my stories while working on all my other tasks (I'm a stay at home mom, but I also sew, cook everything from scratch/bake from scratch, garden, can, quilt, costume, archery, etc). And sometimes the dialogue I rehearse can almost visually "come to life" for me as well- if I can visualize a scene and hear the dialogue, I can write it no problem. If I can't, then it becomes a hundred times more difficult.

That trait of mine also helps tremendously in drama-I'm a fairly good actress (as well as a writer), and I think it's because I can immerse myself and lose myself within the scene to the point that I almost become the character who is speaking (and the opposite character who is responding). If I had the time, I'd become more active in my local community theater, but with two kids and adding homeschooling in the autumn, I couldn't do much more.

But yeah- when I talk to myself, it's usually because I'm brainstorming my story (I also talk to my reflection in the mirror- helps tremendously with describing facial expressions). My girls are so used to it that they ask me, "Who are you talking to?" and I say, "I'm working on my story" and they leave it at that Wink

Besides, I think I disturb people more with the fact that (when I'm well and my vocal cords aren't shot, unlike now Unsure) I sing all the time Wink Even while grocery shopping sometimes (though I do get quieter when I go within five or six feet of people Evil).

I have a feeling that creatively minded people, especially writers, often talk to themselves/their reflections as a brainstorming tool- I certainly know it works with me! Cool

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2015, 6:47am

Post #28 of 42 (1667 views)
Shortcut
Well, I am in good company! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice quote.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 12 2015, 5:21pm

Post #29 of 42 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Six stages:

I talk to myself.

I answer myself.

I argue with myself.

I lose those arguments with myself.

I get angry with myself.

I stop talking to myself until I apologize.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2015, 5:27pm

Post #30 of 42 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Oh, you .... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2015, 12:34am

Post #31 of 42 (1568 views)
Shortcut
well, as long as you don't take things too far with yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

and unfriend yourself on Facebook! Mad

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 14 2015, 12:12am

Post #32 of 42 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Snert [In reply to] Can't Post

Bwahaha!

Did you buy yourself some nice roses for your apology? Tongue

Arveldis
Rivendell

Mar 14 2015, 2:54am

Post #33 of 42 (1454 views)
Shortcut
I do. All the time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like others have said, it's usually for concentration, but sometimes I do it to motivate myself. Just last week I was staggering up a hill on a bike ride and was talking to myself motivationally (or as motivationally as I could at that point), trying to convince myself to not give up. Honestly, I didn't even realize I was doing it until I got some strange looks from other bikers who passed me by. Blush Oh, well. I'll never see them again. Cool

(This post was edited by Arveldis on Mar 14 2015, 2:56am)

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 14 2015, 3:21am

Post #34 of 42 (1466 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

"Aural pigpen"
That's hilarious!

And I finally have a description for myself!
LOL

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2015, 6:14pm

Post #35 of 42 (1376 views)
Shortcut
I do [In reply to] Can't Post

In my case, it could be attributable to many things:

1. Solving a problem.

The auditory feedback of my own voice often helps me form more concrete ideas, or to be more sure of derived conclusions. I also manipulate my hands, as if I were moving blocks of numbers when I do mental maths.

2. Making sure of the pronunciation or testing the aural aesthetics of a word or phrase.

I'm told that, while learning English, I was (am still am) very particular about my pro-nun-ci-a-ition would repeat each new word carefully to myself, clearly dictating each syllable.

I do much the same when I learn new/difficult words (e.g. Ratiocinate, exacerbate, belvedere, etc..).

When there are various pronunciations to a word or a choice between two of similar meaning, I also 'rehearse' the the phrase to see which is more pleasing to the ear. (e.g. 'He could go no further' or 'He could go no farther'?)

Reading poetry or descriptive prose is a more gratifying experience when done aloud. I enjoy the experience of changing the stress and pitch of voice to convey a broader range of intended meanings. Often I find an interpretation, authorial emotion, or character motivation that I had not considered before.

3. Reinforcing something heard.

When I need to remember something, I often use auditory mnemonics to help me recall the information later. Saying a name, word or phrase aloud, allows mental linkages to be made. When learning a new language, it is very helpful to attempt to speak what you are thinking in the target language.

4. Trying to recall something.

When attempting to remember something for which I had set a mnemonic in place, there are often several 'steps' I must go through to access the information.

When trying to recall something I've forgotten, speaking aloud can often stir a latent memory.

Konrad S
Lorien

Mar 20 2015, 5:51am

Post #36 of 42 (1325 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea what you're talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 25 2015, 5:59pm

Post #37 of 42 (1297 views)
Shortcut
I'm a widow and [In reply to] Can't Post

I live alone with my two dogs. I talk to myself, the dogs, the TV, the computer, whatever. I think I've always done it but that I do it more now that I live alone. I like to talk and am considered quite talkative but I'm also an introvert who really enjoys her quiet time home alone with the dogs. Go figure.

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 25 2015, 6:05pm

Post #38 of 42 (1289 views)
Shortcut
I sing out loud [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot too. My chihuahua likes to perch on my shoulder when I sing. Yeah, we're strange. Tongue

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2015, 3:41am

Post #39 of 42 (1223 views)
Shortcut
It's when you have conversations with yourself that you need to worry// [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 9:03pm

Post #40 of 42 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Sometime I question my sanity... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sometimes it replies.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2015, 2:18am

Post #41 of 42 (1197 views)
Shortcut
and does it answer "Aye" or "Nay" [In reply to] Can't Post

or is it of the Elvish persuasion and answers both?

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 7 2015, 9:54pm

Post #42 of 42 (1160 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself sometimes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I'm just "thinking out loud" and sometimes I'm aggravated about something and I'm letting off steam.

I also swear at electronic equipment a fair bit. Does that count? Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.