I talk to myself and I'm male
I talk to myself and I'm female
I talk and I'm under the age of 50
I talk and I'm over the age of 50
I know someone who talks, a female under 50
I know someone who talks, a male under 50
I know someone who talks, a female over 50
I know someone who talks, a male over 50
I have no idea what you're talking about :-)
View Results (98 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2015, 4:04pm

Post #1 of 42 (2974 views)
Shortcut
Let's Talk about "Talkers" Can't Post

And by "talkers," I mean people who talk to themselves. Out loud. Usually in the form of mumbling. Habitually.

I've been curious about this phenomenon as Mr. Elf has a tendency to do this and it has become a standing joke between us. (Him: "mumble, mumble." Me: "Hey, you talkin' to me??") He normally does it when he is trying to resolve some task. I don't do it or if I do, no one's ever brought it to my attention. My 80-something mom also occasionally does it and I think talking to yourself out loud is typically associated with seniors.

So I'm wondering, how prevalent is this habit? And if so, are you even aware you're doing it? Share and enlighten us all! Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 8 2015, 4:22pm

Post #2 of 42 (2830 views)
Shortcut
Talking to Myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes I find that talking out loud to myself helps me to organize my thoughts. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 8 2015, 4:32pm

Post #3 of 42 (2827 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

So, to answer The Grey Elf's question, yes, I talk to myself. There, I said it!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2015, 6:02pm

Post #4 of 42 (2808 views)
Shortcut
My husband talks to himself [In reply to] Can't Post

all the time, and generally drives me crazy because I think I am supposed to a) listen and b) respond. And then there's sometimes the passive/aggressive thing when he's annoyed at me for something but either doesn't want to say it straight out but it's just loud enough to get his point across. But I'm learning to ignore that.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 8 2015, 6:42pm

Post #5 of 42 (2803 views)
Shortcut
The double whammy . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a benign “thingy” (doctor’s medical term) on my throat, and I have to force myself to get any volume. Shocked

My wife is getting harder of hearing each year. Mad

So much of my talk is directed at her but only heard by me. (So I’m talking to myself…) Cool

As we have a large house (single floor) we have learned a few methods of “sign language”, (mostly waves of “howdy over there!”). Heart

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2015, 7:18pm

Post #6 of 42 (2800 views)
Shortcut
Stigmas? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's interesting that some posters are confessing to talking to themselves as though it was an embarrassment, but should it be? Isn't it really just a combination of thinking out loud and a perhaps temporary lack of self-awareness when you're preoccupied? And not necessarily a sign of advancing age.

Snoring is treated the same way. Tell someone they snore and their automatic knee-jerk reaction is almost always "No, I don't!" But think about it: you have no control over it so why be defensive? Sure, it can be annoying but it's no crime. Mr. Elf, again, knows full well what it is to be poked in the ribs or rolled over during nocturnal vocalizing. And he has, with some audacity, informed me that I snore like a heathen. I have asked for evidence of this because I actually really want to know what I sound like. :-) (So far, no proof though.)

We are funny creatures and some things we wince at, upon closer examination, really aren't such big deals after all. At least, that's the story I'm sticking to. :D

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2015, 7:21pm

Post #7 of 42 (2797 views)
Shortcut
I do when I'm annoyed at myself [In reply to] Can't Post

for something brainless that I've done - like not being able to find something that was *right in front of me*.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2015, 7:59pm

Post #8 of 42 (2786 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself [In reply to] Can't Post

usually to talk myself out of saying "out loud" the thing I wish I could say. I won't repeat what I was mumbling about the stupid reservations guy who screwed up the truck rental on Friday.

Sometimes at work I'll run through a though process under my breath to make sure it "sounds" right. For some reason, hearing it makes a big difference. Sometimes I run through what I want to say to a patient. That could either be to check the thought process or more like what I said in the first paragraph. Wink

I think my whole house talks to themselves until I put my hearing aids in a realize they were talking to me part of the time. Smile

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 8 2015, 10:51pm

Post #9 of 42 (2779 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

Often it's when I'm working through an algebra problem. If I talk it through and make comments on it, it seems to make the problem easier. I also like to speak my thoughts aloud for some reason. Maybe it subconsciously feels more concrete to say it aloud rather than just thinking it. I dunno. I do find it rather embarrassing if someone comes into the room whilst I'm doing it, but I'm not really ashamed of the habit.

(This post was edited by Gianna on Mar 8 2015, 10:51pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2015, 11:08pm

Post #10 of 42 (2768 views)
Shortcut
I talk to computers. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I do. Especially when I get annoyed at them.

My psychologist friend says that as long as they don't talk back, I'm okay. Smile

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2015, 12:51am

Post #11 of 42 (2755 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Female, under 50). But I always have, in my case it is definitely not an age thing. When alone (at home, driving a car with no one else in it, etc.) I talk to myself about all sorts of things, past events, thoughts about a movie or book I have read, or what have you. It "feels" more like a conversation that just thinking quietly to myself. I don't do this particular thing when someone else is around (as I could just engage them in a conversation, in that case!) I do a talking under my breath thing also when there are others in a room if I am working on a task that is either complex (e. g. solving a math problem) or the activities others are doing in the room are making enough noise to make concentration even on something simpler (like following a recipe) hard.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 2:13am

Post #12 of 42 (2759 views)
Shortcut
Female, under 50 [In reply to] Can't Post

and I definitely talk to myself, as well as (I've mentioned this before) my trees and plants. The 'myself' stuff is when I am 1. annoyed 2. puzzled 3. very tired. I'm aware of it, and I guess I could stop: but at the end of the day I'm good with it. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 2:14am

Post #13 of 42 (2757 views)
Shortcut
I don't talk to computers so much as smack them. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 3:22am

Post #14 of 42 (2775 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself [In reply to] Can't Post

female, over 50.

For decades I talk to other drivers on the road. Come on... the light is green. or... now you're getting to work a whole second earlier (as they pass me on the freeway only to cut in front right behind the person going the same speed I was).

As I age, I find I walk to the kitchen and go, think Magpie... think... why did you come in here. lol.

I also can be easily distracted by sounds and talking while trying to work (I had a habit for a long time of plugging my ears when I read). As I age and especially when I get tired, I will talk over what I'm trying to do to stay focused on the task and kind of mentally (and maybe audibly) drown out distractions.

I can't say my Mister talks to himself. He just makes lots of noises. He sings or whistles the same few notes from some song in his head over and over and over. He taps his foot, squeaks his chair, clicks his pen, whatever creates an interesting noise. He is like an aural Pigpen... noise follows him wherever he goes.

He does mutter a lot. He seems to be talking to me but when I say what, he says 'nevermind'.

It kind of drives me nuts but hey, he's my man. :-)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2015, 3:34am

Post #15 of 42 (2739 views)
Shortcut
I speak softly and carry a large screwdriver. [In reply to] Can't Post

And they know I know how to use it...Evil

Seriously. There are teachers at my school who swear that computers fear me. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 6:23am

Post #16 of 42 (2750 views)
Shortcut
I once worked with a woman who talked to herself [In reply to] Can't Post

constantly. It drove me absolutely crazy, to the point where I would sometimes need to leave the room because I couldn't concentrate on my work.

I did ask her to stop once, but she didn't seem able to.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 9 2015, 6:40am

Post #17 of 42 (2733 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I talk to myself! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like several other people here, I seem to do it most when I am trying to sort something out in my mind. I always say that when I say it aloud, it slows it down enough to get a good look at it.

If someone asks me about talking to myself, I just say I have to talk to myself as there is no one else worth talking to. No, I don't actually feel that way, it is just my frustrated comedienne coming out.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2015, 8:13am

Post #18 of 42 (2720 views)
Shortcut
*snert* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 2:24pm

Post #19 of 42 (2787 views)
Shortcut
one of my favorite quotes from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/.../gandalf-riddles.jpg

Annael
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 4:25pm

Post #20 of 42 (2705 views)
Shortcut
I live alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I always talked to my pets and now that I'm petless, I occasionally address a comment to myself out loud.

But not often.

However, I sing out loud a LOT. Does that count?

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 6:02pm

Post #21 of 42 (2694 views)
Shortcut
You are petless? [In reply to] Can't Post

How is that going for you? I live alone too and can't imagine being petless.
I can talk to myself a lot without admitting to it because it can be seen as talking to the dog.

There is a long line of my family members who whistled or sang aloud. It drove me crazy...now I seem to be doing it.

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 9 2015, 7:41pm

Post #22 of 42 (2687 views)
Shortcut
All the time [In reply to] Can't Post

(Female under 50) I've always worked things through by talking out loud, kind of just a habit but it gets things clearer somehow! All my family do it, my mum even responds to herself, though she says it's from when we were all very small and she spoke everything out loud to include us, ex: I think I'll do..... and then responds, yes we'll do that, so it's probably a learned trait on my part!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 7:49pm

Post #23 of 42 (2682 views)
Shortcut
I talk to myself all the time, and sometimes I get caught [In reply to] Can't Post

especially as I'm walking across campus. It may be an occupational hazard of professors: I have to talk in front of a class for four hours every day, and I find myself rehearsing. But I do that for other situations too.

I can remember as a kid seeing my dad biking home, his face contorted, his mouth going as he chewed out the dean or some student in his mind.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 7:50pm

Post #24 of 42 (2676 views)
Shortcut
I thought of that quote as soon as I read the question in this thread :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2015, 8:23pm

Post #25 of 42 (2665 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten about that line.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.