Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What films are you most looking forward to seeing this year?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 9 2015, 4:50pm

Post #26 of 37 (556 views)
Shortcut
Sure thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Critics didn't like the new Godzilla movie. I personally enjoyed it and i'm a big Godzilla fan. Didn't see anything wrong with it. So there.

But I definitely will let you what I thought about it.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 4:59pm

Post #27 of 37 (543 views)
Shortcut
yeah... I'm with you on that [In reply to] Can't Post

If I want to watch a movie, I do regardless of the buzz or critics. I might like it or not but I want to know for myself.

If I'm not sure if I'm interested, I pay a little more attention. Good buzz will make me decide to go. Bad buzz might keep my interest low.

And sometimes I watch movies for some reason that means it doesn't have to totally satisfy me to be worth it.

I liked Godzilla well enough to put it in my Netflix queue for a second watch.

fwiw (gad this if awful of me but...) the Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic scores for Chappie are considerably lower than for Godzilla.

Interestingly, the imdb scores are higher... but it's early for imdb which is all user scores.

And I totally pay attention to what TORnfolk are saying about movies. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 9 2015, 5:00pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 9 2015, 5:01pm

Post #28 of 37 (560 views)
Shortcut
Crimson Peak & Disney movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the new Avengers movie, and probably Jurrasic World. But as of right now, the movie I'm most excited about is Crimson Peak - OMG, that trailer! And Tom Hiddleston, woo hoo!!!!! Imagine, an actual ghost story in theaters, how long has it been? I LOVE these kinds of movies, but no one else in my family does, so I'm usually on my own.

I've just heard about the Moby Dick movie Saturday, I've seen absolutely no press or commercials for it - but it does look interesting. Funny enough, as much as I like comic book/action adventure movies, I could care less about Ant Man or Fantastic Four. My daughter is totally psyched about the new Cinderella movie, starring Kate Blanchett as the evil stepmom. That is the ONLY reason I am going to see this. She is also super excited about the "Beauty & the Beast" movie that has just been announced, with Emma Watson as Belle, and Luke Evans as Gaston. She's totally got a crush on Luke, hee hee.Cool I just read that Dan Stevens has been cast as the Beast, I don't know anything about him but his movie "The Guest" is getting rave reviews. I will have to check that one out, looks right up my ally.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 9 2015, 5:13pm

Post #29 of 37 (551 views)
Shortcut
you're not a Downtown Abbey fan? [In reply to] Can't Post

"I just read that Dan Stevens has been cast as the Beast, I don't know anything about him"

I didn't realize there was anyone left on TORn that hadn't watched Downtown Abbey!

:-)

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 9 2015, 6:00pm

Post #30 of 37 (538 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those two are the worst .(Rotten Tomatoes and Metacrictic). I have to laugh at times for reading those reviews and after I see the movies I'm like really. I don't see what they are seeing wrong. But they supposed to be the experts Smile.

I'm going to go see Chappie and then read there reviews to see if I agree. LOL!Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2015, 11:39pm

Post #31 of 37 (545 views)
Shortcut
A few come to mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Wars is the big winner here. I loved what JJ Abrams did with Trek, so I hope he comes through with some new life in the SW universe.
Macbeth with Michael Fassbender: yes, please.
Tomorrowland looks interesting.
Pan has possibilities.
In the Heart of the Sea...that looks intriguing too.

Sadly I (and son) had hopes a bit dashed when, during the previews before BoFA the haunting music from Halo began to play and we both looked at each other and said "noooWAY! A Halo film!" But alas, just a game promo mixed in who the film promos. *some day*

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 10 2015, 10:16pm

Post #32 of 37 (530 views)
Shortcut
Chappie Review! Spoiler for those who have not see it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I just got finish seeing Chappie. I must say I would give it a 8 out of 10 stars.

I enjoyed the movie but I would agree there were some missed opportunities to further enhance Chappie's experience in finding himself or to pursue more in depth the emotions of Chappie.

The plot was okay. It seemed a bit rushed at times. It could have been a little bit better to suit Chappie. I completely understand the concept of right vs wrong. And that the life is not peaches and cream as Ninja tried to show that to Chappie in the worst kind of way. I think it could have been toned down a little. But perhaps because of it being filmed in Johannesburg and that's the way life is there that's the reason why it was a bit chaotic and rough around the edges. The moments with Yo-Lindi I enjoyed her bonding experience helped soften the hard core moments. I do believe it was realistic for me.Smile

The actors and actresses were good and played their part to a tea. Even though I would loved to see more character development. For Hugh Jackman's character Vincent, he was good playing the villain. A little hell bit on getting his robot out there but he did it. Sigourney Weaver's character Michelle, I wished her character would have developed a little bit more. I would have loved to see Vincent get caught and pay the price for the chaos he created and that Michelle would be more willing to see Chappie for what he could have been. I am glad that Deon finally got the courage to stand up to Ninja but it was late in the movie.

Chappie went through a wide variety of emotions in a short period of time. Five days until his battery was depleted to be exact. I felt that Chappie would find his place at the end but the ending was not what I expected.

Overall, I would watch Chappie again only when it comes out in the $1 or $2 movie to see it again. It was enjoyable with some tender and heartfelt moment that tug at your heart, back and forth crazy exciting moments, in your face reality and on your seat edge moments.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 10 2015, 10:36pm

Post #33 of 37 (500 views)
Shortcut
psst Adrianna... [In reply to] Can't Post

could you also post this in the review thread :

What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?

and thanks for the review! :-_

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 10 2015, 10:41pm)

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 10 2015, 10:44pm

Post #34 of 37 (511 views)
Shortcut
Sure can! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 11 2015, 12:37am

Post #35 of 37 (543 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy that you enjoyed the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just goes to show that so much about movies is subjective. One person's favorite is on someone else's worst list and vice-versa. I think that my spouse and I will still refrain from seeing Chappie at the theater. I might give it a chance on NetFlix some day.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Adrianna
Lorien

Mar 11 2015, 12:50am

Post #36 of 37 (502 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody's taste in movies are different also. What one might go see somebody else doesn't what to see. But I'm glad I was able to give my own review and not let it be effected by anybody else.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2015, 2:15am

Post #37 of 37 (469 views)
Shortcut
ooooooooooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

Avengers
heart of the Sea
and finally one without the hemsworth
um
what was it now
oh
Star Wars, yeah that one

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.