Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why Was Kili Focused On More Than Fili?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 15 2015, 10:46pm

Post #176 of 200 (1830 views)
Shortcut
     If the EE list.. [In reply to]  

If the list of EE deleted scenes was real then holding hope up for much more dwarves scene you should stop right now Mad It was basically funeral scene, crowning of Dain, battle rams + wagons and maybe one more. More elves and more Beorn (which is good tho despite not being a fan of the actor).

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Mar 15 2015, 10:47pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 1:57am

Post #177 of 200 (1800 views)
Shortcut
     What EE list? [In reply to]  

Guess I missed that post or thought it was a wish list. How could there be a list when PJ had talked about working on the EE - as organically as he seems to work, I wouldn't think even he would know what will be in the EE completely until summer?Unsure

Arveldis
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 3:26am

Post #178 of 200 (1787 views)
Shortcut
     I do love that scene. [In reply to]  

Especially Legolas' look at the end and Gimli's indignant retort. Boys. *Shakes head* Laugh

So at the end of the day, even if that stunt had been less believably choreographed, it may have been forgiven because it all gets tied into the adorable friendship/rivalry with Gimli. The mumakil scene becomes grounded by serving the characters and the friendship. Most of the stunts in the Hobbit lack any real emotional/character grounding.

This hits the nail on the head. Legolas' stunts seemed to be showing off for the sake of showing off.

This is a Fili thread after all, so a question about Fili and his final words. "Go. Run!" ...I think these words are more for Kili than Thorin. It seems like they are intended for Thorin from how the scene is shot. But this is Fili's last desperate attempt to get Kili, who he hopes is still in earshot, out of the tower, since Azog is coming for him next. What do you think?

I'll admit right now: I procrastinated on this post because it meant watching Fili's death again. Unsure

When I first saw this scene, I interpreted it as Fili wanted all of them to "get out of Dodge." He had seen the size of Azog's Ravenhill force and probably thought that Thorin, Dwalin, Kili, and Bilbo (especially Bilbo with his inexperience) wouldn't be able to handle all of them. Plus, he knew that Azog -- possibly Bolg, too, if he saw him -- would be hard to take down. Azog and Bolg were the cream of the crop, the elites of the entire fortress, and would be hard to kill even if Dwalin and Thorin combined their strength and focused on one. However Fili thought things might play out, it would mean that three pretty strong dwarves and one not-so-strong Hobbit would be fighting against two Orcs with supreme strength plus scores of their cronies. Not exactly a fair battle.

What I think Fili was hoping they would do was run for their lives and recruit a squadron of Dwarves (or Elves) to help clear through the Orc masses, thus leaving Thorin, Dwalin, and possibly Kili to take out the elites. Sure, Thorin and Dwalin were able to plow through one hundred or so goblin mercenaries (I think PJ went over the top there -- two against one hundred? Crazy), but, like I mentioned above, this time the playing field wasn't even.

In addition, I'm sure Fili didn't want the others to have to witness his death, especially his brother.

As to Fili talking directly to Kili, I'm not sure how much time passed between Fili sending Kili away and Fili being dragged out by Azog. It could be that he thought his brother was still in the tower and wanted him to leave for safety with the others. But personally, I see "Go!" and "Run!" as being words of warning to everyone. As stated by others in this thread, Fili has shown his selflessness multiple times not just in attempting to help his brother, but others also. In that vein, I think he shouts those words in hopes that everyone will vacate and thus live. Of course, I'm sure he was especially worried for his brother, seeing as Kili was still healing from an injury. And with the deep bond between them shown countless times throughout the first two films, it would be reasonable to think that he would be most concerned about Kili.

I'm not sure if that was the answer you were looking for. Please tell me to clarify anything that isn't clear. Smile In short: yes, I think Fili was worried about his brother, but I don't think that he was yelling that warning only for Kili; it was for all of them.

One last thing: about Fili knowing that Azog is coming for Kili next. To me, I find it highly improbable that Thorin (and by extent, Fili) would have taken time to learn the Black Speech (I would venture to say that most of the Free People of Middle-earth share the same feeling about the Black Speech as Elrond does when he reacts to Gandalf reading the Ring poem at the Council), and so therefore wouldn't have known the exact translation of the words. But based on the look on Thorin's face when Azog says those words, I'd say he could understand the general meaning.

Now, I'm not sure that Fili knew exactly what Azog was saying; he was probably too terrified to try to make sense of anything except that his death was imminent and that if the others didn't hightail it soon, they'd be following the same path as him. Unless Azog had somehow communicated to him that his brother was next (and then that brings up the question of how Azog knew that they were brothers -- they don't exactly bear a striking resemblance to each other), I doubt Fili knew that Kili was Azog's next target. Now, he probably did assume that Kili would die if he didn't abandon his search of the tower. After all, like I said above, Fili knew -- roughly -- the size of Azog's forces and knew that if he wasn't able to handle them, Kili wouldn't be able to either.

(This post was edited by Arveldis on Mar 16 2015, 3:30am)

Arveldis
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 3:32am

Post #179 of 200 (1787 views)
Shortcut
     I *love* that art. [In reply to]  

SmileLaugh Frankly, if all of the "flaws" that Gandalf pointed out had been eliminated from the movie, I would have had my opportune version of BotFA.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 3:48am

Post #180 of 200 (1788 views)
Shortcut
     Size matters. [In reply to]  

What we know is that Rob Kazinski left the team at an advanced stage of the filming.
What we don't know are the reason why he left, so we are kept speculating.

But the most important fact, to me, is that the Dwarves have been cast as a whole. Visuals, sizes, beards, tempers, clothes, weaponry : all had to attain a high state of complementarity.
Rob Kazinski was a piece of picture. Recently I looked more precisely at his face, his acting, his corpulence, and I found that he was much more dwarf-like, broad and robust, than Dean O'Gorman, who is athletic but in a lighter way.

The role being already written, the prosthetics were summoned to fill the gap, and so was the actor.
But in my opinion the natural robustness was lost, and unfortunately that was the more prominant aspect Fili had to share with the whole picture.
If you are and feel robust, every single word you pronounce is backed up by a robust feeling.

For instances :

- "We are warriors. Each of us."

If the actor is robust, by this sentence alone each of the fellows he mentions are engaged to be perceived as much robust as him. Effortless.
But if he's a little bit less robust, the sentence feels flawed and the actor over-confident ; so he loses ground whatever his efforts.

- "I belong with my brother."

If the actor is robust, the sentence is heavy, he can't be seen as anybody else than a protector. But if the actor is less robust, we are physically compelled to ask ourselves if the character feels the need to be near his brother to be protected instead of protecting him

- "Take care of my blades"

If the actor is robust, this sentence sounds like a natural order. If the actor is less robust, we are physically compelled to ask ourselves if the character feels the need to discharge himself with this weaponry a little bit too heavy for him, whatever the actor tries to pretend.

...And so on.

In every take, Fili is supposed to carry weight without any over-acting.
But if the actor doesn't feel that way because he isn't naturally robust, he can't express the natural confidence which goes with robustness

IMO, that is where the switch between Rob Kazinsky and Dean O'Gorman hurt more than it had been expected by the team, at a moment when they didn't have time to catch any actor with a 'robust profile' available nearby (in N-Z) for a one-year-long involvment.
So they had to chose a New-Zealander who did his best and they never could back away.

I don't think it was any scenarist intention to cut off the prominence of robust Fili in any way, but the fact is that in each scene involving Fili, the needed natural robustness was missing, and something else took place, somewhat undefinable because the role could not be re-written.
Robustness being somewhat lost, the team tried hard to enhance the alchemy and closeness between the two brothers, but in fact as Aidan Turner had become the toughest one and Dean O'Gorman the tiniest one, the balance kept being lost and Dean carried less confidence and more concern.

... And I don't see which acting could do anything against that.
I think that's why so many among the female audience felt compelled to give some kind of support to cute Dean.

But from a male point of view, I find difficult to call Fili the 'dark horse' of the cast. He'd rather be called 'the pale horse' and making fun about this strange curse than ignoring it.

marary
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 7:03am

Post #181 of 200 (1767 views)
Shortcut
     I think that's a fair interpretation about Fili's last words [In reply to]  

I'm mostly having fun finding the "alternate" or "not obvious but likely" interpretations of scenes throughout the movies. Smile

One last thing: about Fili knowing that Azog is coming for Kili next. To me, I find it highly improbable that Thorin (and by extent, Fili) would have taken time to learn the Black Speech (I would venture to say that most of the Free People of Middle-earth share the same feeling about the Black Speech as Elrond does when he reacts to Gandalf reading the Ring poem at the Council), and so therefore wouldn't have known the exact translation of the words. But based on the look on Thorin's face when Azog says those words, I'd say he could understand the general meaning.

That was a puzzling thing; how strange of Azog to give his "shock and awe" speech during Fili's execution in a language his enemies likely cannot understand. Maybe the filmmakers felt Azog speaking English would be weird?

Although Azog is a proud orc. Lesser orcs will use the common tongue (westron/english), but I have a feeling that Azog, among the orcs, is sort of their champion for achieving orc dominion. Maybe constantly speaking black speech is a point of pride, a statement. It was a bit weird when you realize Thorin and Co. can't read those convenient subtitles.

Fili was very brave in his final moments. I thought the actor did a great job of conveying fear and bravery at the same time- you could really empathize with him in that moment. (Gah, that scene is so heartbreaking.)

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 7:36am

Post #182 of 200 (1763 views)
Shortcut
     This list [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Guess I missed that post or thought it was a wish list. How could there be a list when PJ had talked about working on the EE - as organically as he seems to work, I wouldn't think even he would know what will be in the EE completely until summer?Unsure

I found it on tumblr
http://media.tumblr.com/d40d25e32eadb163462e107bef91e6fe/tumblr_inline_nl4m25oFA01t99kht.png

So like I don't know how true it is, but it's something you know? XD

marary
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 7:49am

Post #183 of 200 (1757 views)
Shortcut
     some of these are definitely inferred from the trailer [In reply to]  

I've seen a few similar lists floating around the internet, and most of them are pretty sharp speculation based on trailer footage than never appeared in the theatrical.

My one main wish is the "everything I did, I did for them" scene. Because more Thorin is never a bad thing, and I just bet he's talking about his nephews here. Thorin caring about his nephews is my favorite thing ever.Heart

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 8:22am

Post #184 of 200 (1749 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I've seen a few similar lists floating around the internet, and most of them are pretty sharp speculation based on trailer footage than never appeared in the theatrical.

My one main wish is the "everything I did, I did for them" scene. Because more Thorin is never a bad thing, and I just bet he's talking about his nephews here. Thorin caring about his nephews is my favorite thing ever.Heart

But not everything we see in trailers we ever see again in the actual movies though. I heard some clips are made just for the trailers too. I remember one clip in particular of Arwen in Rivendell in.. I think it's from the RotK trailer that is absolutely gorgeous, but we never actually see it elsewhere.

So no I don't know either if that link I gave is believable and frankly if it is I'm still wondering why the heck isn't there more dwarves?!? Not just Fili, but the Company! Crazy

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 11:08am

Post #185 of 200 (1736 views)
Shortcut
     Ooooh [In reply to]  

You seem fond of sharing photos. May I join in? Sly

Cutest gif there is. I know for a fact that I can't be the only one hoping for a few Dean and Aidan moments in the BotfA EE bts! They are precious together.

You should check out the fanart by dhysart and alythekitten (tumblr or deviantart).
Heart

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 11:42am

Post #186 of 200 (1731 views)
Shortcut
     Just wanted to correct something [In reply to]  

In Reply To
What we know is that Rob Kazinski left the team at an advanced stage of the filming. What we don't know are the reason why he left, so we are kept speculating.

Rob Kazinski filmed one scene - Bag End - and this was not an advanced stage of the filming. In fact, they were still working out the final designs of some characters at that point in filming. Other scenes in AUJ where Dean O'Gorman was not present were due to scheduling conflicts and Kazinsky did not film them.

I respectfully disagree...we never heard him perform his lines, so we have no idea what they would sound like. We never really saw his final design either, so it's only speculation on how "robust" his appearance was.

I don't think it was any scenarist intention to cut off the prominence of robust Fili in any way, but the fact is that in each scene involving Fili, the needed natural robustness was missing, and something else took place, somewhat undefinable because the role could not be re-written.

Fili never had a major role or storyline, so there was nothing to be rewritten.

I think that's why so many among the female audience felt compelled to give some kind of support to cute Dean.

That's a little patronizing. I had no obligation to support anyone based on how "cute" they are. Why people like Fili is for their own reasons, and I'm sure they are plenty and varied beyond your reasoning.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 12:07pm

Post #187 of 200 (1724 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah [In reply to]  

That's a little patronizing. I had no obligation to support anyone based on how "cute" they are. Why people like Fili is for their own reasons, and I'm sure they are plenty and varied beyond your reasoning.

So what, everyone that likes Kili and Thorin feel compelled to support them too because they're cute? Or is that just Dean because he's tiny? Stop sounding so patronizing.

You are basing a lot on seconds and very few photos we have of Rob as Fili you know. Of what we saw lookwise his Fili looked so much like a cosplayer that it has made me wonder if one of the reasons he left the production was for anything related to that. Rob is a good looking guy, but in costume he looked awfully. But again, I can only base that on the little we have seen. It's not fully fair either and I acknownledge that.

Dean's small sure, but never did I get a feeling that he was unbelievable as a protector and Kili certainly doesn't come off as thougher. We just get more of him. Heck Fili's the one that keeps going and pushing when Kili is down.
Don't hack down on him for being small. I've seen plenty of gifs and photos of him where he's not a tiny, adorable dwarf. Have we been watching the same character?

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Mar 16 2015, 12:08pm)

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 12:11pm

Post #188 of 200 (1717 views)
Shortcut
     Robustness is physical [In reply to]  

It doesn't have much to deal with acting. It is there or it is not.

If you wish to correct something, I suggest you explore a bit about the physical appearance of Rob Kazinsky in movies where he appears.
He's not only physically very fit, but also physically and 'facially' robust. Broad face.
If you compare, you'll find evidence that Dean O'Gorman'one is much more slender. And he is also shorter than Aidan Turner.
Dean O'Gorman : 5'8" / 1.73 m - Rob Kazinsky 6' / 1.83 m - Aidan Turner 5'11" / 1.80 m

Facial differences generally accentuate with aging, because facial bones continue to evolve, though more slowly, when you are an adult.
So it may be a little bit uneasy to detect structural trends when actors need to be young,
and it's even more difficult to figure on scratch the margin of the effect.

As you state, they were still working out the final designs of some character at this state, and for instance Rob Kazinsky (as well as Kili), felt almost like neanderthalians when they put on them heavy facial enhancements like eyebrows and cheekbones : they were losing their youthfulness and becoming brutes.

Had they wait a little bit more and they may have find that Rob Kazinsky didn't need facial enhancements, to keep par with Aidan Turner. And he would still look like a dwarf, more than Aidan the cutest one.

To have Dean O'Gorman look firmer without distorting his face, they put on him hairs. But unlike Samson, you can't really find strength and robustness in hairs.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 1:23pm

Post #189 of 200 (1702 views)
Shortcut
     It's not patronizing to notice that size matters [In reply to]  

Even Alfrid noticed that Bard was tall and thus athletic and thus seductive.
Would you tell Alfrid is patronizing ? Wink

My purpose was only to suggest that Dean O'Gorman's ability to embody a strong and protective brother was a little bit undermined by his physical appearance. Maybe he should need an unusually tough acting presence to overcome this handicap.

But occasions for that were sparse :

1) Nowhere in the book you could find anything about physical protectiveness by Fili
2) Strong dwarves are everywhere in the team : Thorin is, Dwalin is, Gloin is, Bombur is, Dori is, even Balin, Oin, Nori, Bofur, Bifur are when in fight mode, the only exception being Ori
3) You can't have Kili being protected too often without undermining his own prestige : since Kili will be saved thrice by Tauriel, this has to be compensed by Kili's own heroic deeds : with his bow (against a Wharg), with his wound (tough odd), in front of the trolls (where is Fili ?).

No surprize there is not much room left for Fili's pride.
And if the actor is a bit undersized, it surely can't help.

IMO, only a naturally strong Fili, almost equaling Thorin, could have naturally shined in front of Azog in Ravenhill. The fact is we didn't have him shining in such fights on the theatre screens, but we have him being taken prisoner and killed defenceless.

Then what we may crave for is a super-heroic scene with Fili alone in Ravenhill's corridors, using all his weaponry against strong foes before being caught.

Will we have it ? Answer in several months.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 1:40pm

Post #190 of 200 (1696 views)
Shortcut
     Complements about Tough Fili [In reply to]  

So, for the moment, I keep my stance is that Dean O'Gorman, for some reason, couldn't proceed to get his heroic stance in the theater edition, and the team decided to get instead audiences in shock with the surprize of his sudden capture, which is cinematically quite effective as well as, IMO, audacious as well as clever.

Because we are forced to end considering Fili as a somewhat flawed hero, as well as any other dwarves are - by Tolkien's construction. Fili loves weapons, but dies weaponless.He had already lost his weapons in Thranduil's lair, and even before in bag End at first sight he had given all his weaponry... to Bilbo !

Why should all girls crave for a Fili classic hero when there is no need to get one ?
Isn't it much better that way ?

Maybe there is one scene where we should have waited for him : in Laketown it's Gloin and Bofur, not Fili, who are angered by the poor weaponry Bard gave the dwarves. It could have been a scene for Fili. But if Dean O'Gorman himself didn't ask for it... Shy move for a supposed tough guy.

marary
Lorien

Mar 16 2015, 2:01pm

Post #191 of 200 (1692 views)
Shortcut
     Fili was great the way he is [In reply to]  

He might be a bit short, but I thought he was very convincing as a tough dwarf, even though he was greatly underused in the action scenes.

It never occurred to me that Fili should be anything other than what he was! Taller, more gallant... whatever.

The choice they made in Dean O'Gorman was obviously a good one. I think many people appreciate him for reasons other than being easy on the eyes. (e.g., chemistry with AT, swagger, etc)

I'm certain Fili restocked his weapon supply from the Erebor armory. So the elves are no excuse for him not to have extra weapons in battle.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 16 2015, 2:17pm

Post #192 of 200 (1685 views)
Shortcut
     Size doesn't matter - they're dwarves [In reply to]  

I think you're equating "heroic" with tall, strong, and muscular. I'm not arguing that the other guy was taller and more "fit" but that has nothing to do with the performance. Anyway, the actors are wearing muscle suits and look like dwarves, they're not supposed to be ripped superheroes.

Heroism is not defined about how tall someone is (uh, Bilbo, right??) And it's not really a valid criticism to single out an actor for their height, they can't change that. Do you have something against Dean or just short guys in general?

Why should all girls crave for a Fili classic hero when there is no need to get one ?

I'm not a girl, I'm an adult woman. And a hero doesn't have to be the one with the highest body count - a selfless, caring character who sacrifices himself is also a hero.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 4:29pm

Post #193 of 200 (1658 views)
Shortcut
     well [In reply to]  

The whole shortness being a weakness is ridiculous. He is a dwarf and a young one at that. Not a buffed up human. Heroes comes in different shapes and sizes and Dean has no problem conveying that. I could list off multiple times where he is handling himself like a young dwarven warrior but im at an airport on mobile so writing a whole lot more now isnt very tempting.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 4:43pm

Post #194 of 200 (1651 views)
Shortcut
     From the moment Fili put a foot into Bag End, [In reply to]  

I indeed had something uncomfortable with Fili : the way he walked, the way he talked, the handle of his lines... something felt contrived, and I was far from having any clue of the cast skip.

So, you can see that it was for me quite a long strain, since I'm inclined to explore my feelings as long I don't understand the motive of my discomfort. And mine with Fili has been quite a persistent one.

And as soon as I get my explanation, I usually recover my comfort. Now I can say I'm perfectly fine with Dean O'Gorman, for I admit that there was nothing he, or anyone else, could do to fix the initial hiatus.

There are so many people around those movies that keep on expressing rants and despising the teams or the actors, but also so many proofs that each and any member of those same teams and actors did their best loading loads of talent and versatility to achieve that singular artistic goal, that I keep feeling unsatisfied as long as someone suspects that there has been some lazyness or miscomprehension in the movie stuff, even if that someone is myself.

And most of the time (that's a huge part of the pleasure, not only to watch those movies, but also to think again about them afterwards), I end understanding something more about the process or the stakes, and things come in place, at least in my mind. Of course I apologize for caring about my own mind, but I don't have another one at hand on those particular subjects. Evil

Now I get on a 'Poor cursed Dean' trend instead of the 'wrong Dean' trend, and that is already renewing my own vision of his part in the movie : from now and most probably for ever, I will see on the side of his path the ghost of Rob Kazinsky, what he would have done, doing the same thing, and what subtle impact it would have had to fix the hiatus.

Interestingly, the process recalls the famous Stuart Townsend / Viggo Mortensen shift in Lord of the Rings, where VM took so entirely possession of the character that nobody can imagine anyone else in the role. Stuart Townsend was simply too young for being Aragorn and that was obviously not his fault : he just couldn't match with what he had to do.

Things are different with Rob Kazinsky, because nobody said that he was a cast mistake. Rob had to leave for 'personal reasons', not for an artistic mischievement, so we need to understand in the first place why he had been cast for the role. I think for instance that this weapon-tropism suits better his profile than it does with dean O'Gorman's, who is obviously a cheerful fellow, more fond to communicate with people than with weaponry.

Size matters of course, I find it important in his 'protecting Kili', but there were also some other stakes about the frame.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 4:51pm

Post #195 of 200 (1648 views)
Shortcut
     I respectfully disagree [In reply to]  

Its always interesting to hear different view on things, so all I can say we will have to agree to disagree :) I couldnt possibly be more grateful for the cast switch as even ln set shots Robs Fili looked awful and of what there is of bts stuff Aidan and Rob just doesnt seem to click at all and chemistry is a big deal in pretty much every movie.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 16 2015, 5:01pm

Post #196 of 200 (1641 views)
Shortcut
     TOTALLY AGREE [In reply to]  

I couldnt possibly be more grateful for the cast switch as even ln set shots Robs Fili looked awful....

Physically for me, and in the face - AND in Pacific Rim, for me RK is dull, dull, dullFrown. I don't know WHY RK left, but I am so glad he did. For all we know, the reason he left was it just wasn't working out with him as an actor or as a team player - I know supposedly he left for family issues and I am not just gossiping, but there's no way to really know what goes on. I've seen comments where RK was viewed in interviews as kind of pushy, talking a lot, and so on by some fans.Unsure

Rightfully, I don't think PJ & co. hang their dirty laundry out, as it were. In any case, Dean is a wonderful Fili!HeartHeartHeart

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 5:19pm

Post #197 of 200 (1637 views)
Shortcut
     Of course that chemistry was important [In reply to]  

Casting is not all, and it surely can't prevail on relationships quality.

What could be interesting is to understand how and why the cosmetics were so awful with this single actor while they are so wonderful with any other one. Some underground team's work may have been at work there...

If you need my own opinion on the subject, i find quite enjoyable this idea that an actor cast to be fond of weapons could end being uncomfortable with a team, and that a team would prefer an actor fond of chemistry with people instead of weapons. There might be an New Zealand factor at work there. Sly

That does'nt mean that the initial casting was inherently wrong. But I surely won't go exploring further the alchemy needed by teams at work. For instance, it's obvious that unneeded rivalries would surely have doomed the fellowship.

After all, it's not so tragic that some secondary role (i.e. Fili's) may have been a little bit overshadowed in the process.
Remember I didn't start the topic nor it's subject. All I did was trying to explore it, introducing some of my own early feelings.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 16 2015, 5:57pm

Post #198 of 200 (1624 views)
Shortcut
     eh [In reply to]  

Never heard dean being uncomfortable with weapons though. In fact the others said he was one of the best fighters if not the best. Plus he apparently has black belt and so on so he wasnt cast just because of chemistry. PJ specifically asked to check him even.
The Fili costume looks a lot better and more natural on him. And of the three durin hes the most dwarvish one.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2015, 6:01pm

Post #199 of 200 (1623 views)
Shortcut
     Locking - nearly 200 posts [In reply to]  

Most of the comments have become disagreements, so this is a good time to lock.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.