Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you ever seen the Northern and/or the Southern Lights?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you ever seen the Northern and/or the Southern Lights?
Yes, I have seen the Northern Lights
Yes, I have seen the Southern Lights
I have seen both
No, I haven't seen the Northern Lights
No, I haven't seen the Southern Lights
I haven't seen either
Other
View Results (49 votes)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 7:15am

Post #1 of 33 (6295 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever seen the Northern and/or the Southern Lights? Can't Post

Have you ever seen the aurora borealis (Northern Lights) or the aurora australis (Southern Lights)? Where and when did you see them? What form and colour did they take?

Multiple answers allowed.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 2 2015, 7:17am)

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 8:08am

Post #2 of 33 (6214 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the Northern Lights [In reply to] Can't Post

It was actually on a flight home from Denver, and we could see the green light on the horizon. It was fairly distant, but still really cool.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 8:15am

Post #3 of 33 (6226 views)
Shortcut
(whines) Nooo [In reply to] Can't Post

There was one time when they were supposedly visible where I live. I drove out of town but could never get far enough away from lights to see it. Frown I've found a place that's plenty dark, just waiting for another opportunity.Unsure

Maybe one day I can make a trip up north just for the chance to see them. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 10:15am

Post #4 of 33 (6193 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, no [In reply to] Can't Post

The northern lights are sometimes visible in Estonia, but I've never been lucky enough to witness an occurrence.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 10:40am

Post #5 of 33 (6185 views)
Shortcut
No, but I could if I really wanted to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is to say, taking a drive up north.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2015, 12:33pm

Post #6 of 33 (6177 views)
Shortcut
Voted yes on Northern. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I have; it was as a child while attending an overnight summer camp in Michigan (south of the usual area for the phenomenon, but possible if there was heightened geomagnetic activity at the time). It looked like a green and purple glow in the night sky and occurred well after sunset, on an evening that we were having a campfire so we were out late at night.

I have never set foot on any part of the Southern Hemisphere.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 2 2015, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 33 (6175 views)
Shortcut
Yes, once in southern Connecticut. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's rare they're visible so far south. My daughter and I went to one of the open playing fields at a school that was as far away from lights as possible, and watched the faint colorful thin sheets of light gently dance in the sky. Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:21pm

Post #8 of 33 (6175 views)
Shortcut
The Aurora Borealis [In reply to] Can't Post

The Northern Lights are occasionally visible from Western New York although light pollution can make them very hard to make out.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:36pm

Post #9 of 33 (6196 views)
Shortcut
Northern lights, twice. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I was flying to Europe and we went over Greenland, and I saw a blue glow in the north that I figured must be Northern LIghts.

The second time was in Colorado, right in our neighborhood. We saw a flickering orange glow in the north and thought at first it must be a fire. We got in the car to go see (because that's what we do whenever we see something unusual) but there was no fire. So we finally figured out it was an aurora.

Then a few years later we saw something very similar and thought it was an aurora, but when we went to investigate we saw flames on the mountain; it was the beginning of the devastating High Park Fire.

And I can't ever think of the Northern Lights without thinking of this poem, which my dad has always been fond of quoting:

Oh roar a roar for Nora, Nora Alice in the night,
For she has seen aurora borealis burning bright.
A furor for our Nora, and applaud aurora seen,
For where throughout the winter has our borealis been?

--Walt Kelly

Annael
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:45pm

Post #10 of 33 (6172 views)
Shortcut
Northern [In reply to] Can't Post

from a plane taking the polar route from Seattle to Amsterdam.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:52pm

Post #11 of 33 (6183 views)
Shortcut
I didn't get a photo of the aurora, but the fire looked like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

The aurora was kind of similar: photo

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:52pm

Post #12 of 33 (6162 views)
Shortcut
Eveleth Minnesota [In reply to] Can't Post

Latitude: 47.46 N

We were taking a weekend (or long weekend) trip out of the Twin Cities. We went up to the Iron Range to see the mines and associated hoohaw. (3 Males / 1 Females... many of our vacations seem to include mines and such)

We got a motel room on the outskirts of town. We realized the floaty ethereal clouds we could see in the night sky might be Northern Lights so we tried getting away from the street lights enough to see well. Unfortunately, we were on a busy country highway next to a subdivision so we never got away from the street lights but the 'clouds' were, in fact, Northern Lights. They were white and moved slowly and not particularly showy. But I'd been trying to see Northern Lights for years and living in a 7 county metro area is just not conducive to dark skies. My son and I watched outdoors for awhile until he tired of it (husband and other son only looked a moment). We went back to the motel room and everyone feel asleep. But I couldn't stop watching the lights out of the small window. It almost seemed as if I could feel them... as if their presence was palpable. I did finally fall asleep and that I've never seen them since.

The date would have been summer (July) of 2000. I would have no hope of remembering except that nearby Virginia, MN was the site of well-known murder trial at that time. I googled the trial to get the date.

on a tangent, I've been watching the The Great British Baking Show and they recently had to make a bread/pastry called potica. Potica is one of the ethnic/cultural foods that have survived in pockets of the US and Eveleth is one place you can get it. It was brought there by the Slovenians and Croatians immigrants who came to work in the iron mines. As you can imagine, pasties are big up there too, brought over by the Cornish mine workers. Yum. I love pasties.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 33 (6179 views)
Shortcut
I saw the aurora borealis, [In reply to] Can't Post

or an aurora borealis like event (i don't know enough about it to know what to call it), in southern Illinois back in the 80s. It was quite intense, with very vivid colors and taking up almost the entire sky. I was with a bunch of friends driving on backroads. It was almost an otherworldly experience. It lasted 15-20 minutes and it was over. Never heard anything on the news about it, and i've never seen anything like it since-- and that's with many a night spent in the wilderness all across America camping.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 6:09pm

Post #14 of 33 (6171 views)
Shortcut
Northern Lights in NE Georgian Bay [In reply to] Can't Post

We see them at the cottage every couple of years. Some years it's easier to see than others. They truly are beautiful.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 8:48pm

Post #15 of 33 (6167 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I've seen the northern lights, and [In reply to] Can't Post

Attack ships on fire off Orion's shoulder, c-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannheuser gate... All those memories...

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 4:18am

Post #16 of 33 (6126 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some years ago during a period of intense solar flare activity the Northern Lights were visible in California, and I was able to get a clear night and see them. I saw the Southern lights on my way back north from a cruise to the Ross Sea area of Antarctica in 2011. We had to get north of the Antarctic Circle, though, because it was not dark enough to see them farther south. Similarly, when I was in the high Arctic last summer it was too light at night to see Northern Lights, as it was during my previous trips to Alaska during the summer.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 4:36am

Post #17 of 33 (6161 views)
Shortcut
Southern Lights [In reply to] Can't Post

From the MV Orion, Feb., 2011:

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 2:23pm

Post #18 of 33 (6092 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Several years ago the Northern Lights were visible in southern Idaho.
Go Figure….

In Reply To
Multiple answers allowed.

Nine Black Riders attacked Gandalf on Weathertop. SmileSmileSmileSmile

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 9:23pm

Post #19 of 33 (6074 views)
Shortcut
Northern lights [In reply to] Can't Post

At home in N Ireland. I've saw them a few times but the clearest was about five or six years ago they were beautiful, it was like a hazy steam of green that seemed to glow. We can be lucky here as we can catch sight of them but unfortunately as it's usually a cloudy night they can most often be hidden.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 10:00pm

Post #20 of 33 (6078 views)
Shortcut
I have seen the [In reply to] Can't Post

Northern Lights several times....I live in Southern Ontario, near Toronto, so we don't see them very often. And they are not very bright when visible this far south. The last time I saw them was in January on a drive home from work. The best I have ever seen them was about 2 hours north of Toronto in the Haliburton Highlands. We were at my cousins wedding, wandering across a highway to our hotel at the end of the night. The lights were dancing across the sky behind our hotel.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2015, 12:35am

Post #21 of 33 (6001 views)
Shortcut
long ago.... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was a kid, my Mom and I were driving home from grandma's. There was a very strange red glow in the sky, which unnerved me...

I heard a news story later that talked about how we'd had the brightest display of northern lights in decades...

We don't usually see them at all here in southern Pennsylvania (just north of the Chesapeake Bay), but occasionally we get glimpses.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 7 2015, 12:48am

Post #22 of 33 (5943 views)
Shortcut
Would love to see them some day. One or both. // [In reply to] Can't Post

joec_34
Rivendell

Mar 9 2015, 5:39pm

Post #23 of 33 (5804 views)
Shortcut
Northern in WV, USA [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw them in probably 2004 or 2005 in West Virginia. I had always wanted to see them. When I was out feeding the dog just after sunset, there was a beautiful green in the sky. I thought it looked like the aurora, so I ran inside and hit up the internet to see if I was crazy. Sure enough, they were visible that far south for some special reason. Just a normal evening turned into a dream come true!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 17 2015, 9:14pm

Post #24 of 33 (5433 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Faintly, but still. Talk about a coincidence! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 18 2015, 10:07am

Post #25 of 33 (5361 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

They were still far too North for me to see them last night (only by 90 miles or so!)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.