Thoughts on BOTFA Special features

Bishop
Gondor

Mar 5 2015, 8:58pm

Post #1 of 16 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts on BOTFA Special features Can't Post

Has anyone seen them?

IMO they are very disappointing. They seem meandering, there's a lot of fooling around, and no real substance at all. Large sections are oddly dedicated to LOTR, which I guess makes sense. Sort of. But we get it. These films fit into the LOTR. I don't know why they have to keep saying that. There's a segment on how beautiful New Zealand is. I've been there, and I agree it's beautiful. Check! And there's one long piece that is devoted entirely to extras messing around on set. There is nothing about the Battle, how it was strategized, the design, the VFX, or how it was shot. There's nothing about Smaug attacking Lake Town. There's nothing specific about any particular sequence, or any of the main actors. There's nothing about the story. It's all a bit baffling.

One of the things that has always stood out to me is the dedication of these filmmakers to really give the viewer a rich and rewarding behind the scenes. So I don't really get it.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 16 (2105 views)
Shortcut
What are you talking about? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rich special features? Wait for the extended edition! It has always been like that.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Mar 5 2015, 9:04pm)

Bishop
Gondor

Mar 5 2015, 9:10pm

Post #3 of 16 (2092 views)
Shortcut
Fine. Maybe the special editions are better [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the Hobbit TE for example there are literally hours of video blogs. And there's a great section that focuses singularly on the troll sequence for example.

But anyways, anything to add about BOTFA?

(This post was edited by Bishop on Mar 5 2015, 9:11pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 9:24pm

Post #4 of 16 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Maybe? For sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those videoblogs were put online before the movie/s came out. They just put those on the TE. Nothing special about that. Old hat. Only on the extended editions you get features produced specifically for them. And lots of them.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 5 2015, 9:36pm

Post #5 of 16 (2057 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait, are there special features with the digital download? I thought you only got the film itself.

At any rate, I'm guessing they are sandbagging the good stuff for the EE later this year. The turnip must be bled dry!

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 5 2015, 9:48pm

Post #6 of 16 (2030 views)
Shortcut
if you are interested in special features [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm not sure how the theatrical editions are even relevant...

and i always get defensive when people complain about special features with these movies considering they've given us hands down, without question the best ever made...every single time, for all six movies.

just gotta wait a few more months.

nusilver
Rohan

Mar 5 2015, 10:04pm

Post #7 of 16 (2010 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But on the Hobbit TE for example there are literally hours of video blogs. And there's a great section that focuses singularly on the troll sequence for example.

But anyways, anything to add about BOTFA?

They finished the video diaries on the TE versions of Hobbit 1 and 2. I'm actually surprised the TE of BOFTA got such good features. Did you watch the video about The Last Goodbye (the making of?) That was pretty interesting, especially the part about recording 400 takes so they could edit the song together like a film.

Anyway. To echo what others have been saying, the TEs aren't where to look for special features; you're getting literally EPK material and that's it. Wait for the EEs if you want the goods :)

Bishop
Gondor

Mar 5 2015, 10:52pm

Post #8 of 16 (1964 views)
Shortcut
The special features.. [In reply to] Can't Post

..now come with the digital download, which is great.

I agree that the EE behind the scenes will probably be awesome.

Defiant
Bree

Mar 6 2015, 4:04am

Post #9 of 16 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Bleeding the turnip? LOL, I guess, but ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in fairness, documentaries like the ones of EE must take a lot of time to produce. I wouldn't be surprised if they are still working on those well into the middle of this year, right? I mean, they woudl have to be if they want to include EE cut content, right? For the TE they would probably only have had January and maybe February to produce them so I think our expectations have to be realistic. Plus, this is the mass market release for people with short attention spans, hence I am guessing why there's more silliness than the meaty EE docos. We know they aim the EE at a different kind of market, ie, us.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Mar 6 2015, 8:00am

Post #10 of 16 (1751 views)
Shortcut
The Extended [In reply to] Can't Post

if it is like the past five movies (TH & LOTR) should have the more in-depth special features.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 6 2015, 8:49am

Post #11 of 16 (1730 views)
Shortcut
Well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Compared with the LotR TE releases all three Hobbits have had pretty poor special features.

It doesn't seem like WB was interested in producing high quality here.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 1:23pm

Post #12 of 16 (1670 views)
Shortcut
That's because you haven't got it yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

The real special features come with the EE.

I wouldn't expect any of the things you've mentioned to come with the Theatrical Edition. That depth of comment never has before - and from where I'm standing I'm very glad it hasn't done this time. What would be the point of wasting all the in-depth stuff with the theatrical release when they're working on a super-duper all-singing all-dancing 4 disc extended edition?

You're very lucky: you have the theatrical release to watch. We have almost two months to wait!

glor
Rohan

Mar 6 2015, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 16 (1574 views)
Shortcut
LOTR TEs [In reply to] Can't Post

Came out in a different era when on line media was not as developed or omnipresent as it is now.

The LOTR TE extra features were simply a collection of previously shown promo material and TV documentaries.

Both sets of trilogy TE extras are similar in that they are just previously available promo material but, the difference in perceived quality is probably down to the fact that TV documentaries and promo slots have to have a more professional and formal style, for TV.

The Vlog is a more informal medium, and does seem amateur compared to LOTR however, some of the TE extras on the LOTR DVDs contained similar or duplicate material.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 7 2015, 7:39am

Post #14 of 16 (1503 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In general the TE special features has been boring and little (or something we had already seen - AUJ had the video blogs). But obviously it's all so people will buy the EE for that.

celboy
The Shire

Mar 26 2015, 2:14am

Post #15 of 16 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Yes I agree…boring [In reply to] Can't Post

..and how come no easter eggs anymore…that was fun with LOTR.

celboy

"I'm a libra. What sign are you?"--Dwan KK76

adt100
Rohan

May 26 2015, 8:48am

Post #16 of 16 (766 views)
Shortcut
Incredibly disappointed to be blunt.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I only got around to watching the 'features' this past weekend and had to check to make sure I hadn't skipped passed a screen such was the scarcity of content!

I realise that he TC's never have a great deal of content and and is often more re-hashed tv features, but there wasn't even that! 3 features, all under or around 10 minutes on the film, 1 feature on the credits song and then 1 trailer. (baffling that they only included 'trailer 2')

I'm not expecting a great amount of quantity form the TC's, that's what the EE's are for, but it seems they've skimped so much for the hobbit and expecially BOFTA. It's like WB are trying to force the issue of 'buy the EE'... which of course I'll do anyway.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.