Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
My Dear TORnsibs...What Color is #TheDress?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: My Dear TORnsibs...What Color is #TheDress?
Blue & Black
White & Gold
Other
View Results (53 votes)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 5:39pm

Post #76 of 92 (2834 views)
Shortcut
I had a sweater like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

(a strange Elf clad in green or brown...?)

Depending on the light in which you saw it, (indoor, outdoor, warm light, cool light) it ran from a nice olivey green to a drab dead leaf brown.

The amount of red in the light (warm) made it look browner.

isn't that one of the color blindness things? Green/red?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 5:52pm

Post #77 of 92 (2851 views)
Shortcut
sharing... sharing... [In reply to] Can't Post

why that looks like my cat....

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 5:55pm

Post #78 of 92 (2810 views)
Shortcut
aha! brilliant insights! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not the dress, indeed, it's about the debate, and perceptions and I never thought of the Fundamentalist Factor!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 6:10pm

Post #79 of 92 (2864 views)
Shortcut
swell! [In reply to] Can't Post

and here's mine.... (not quite so detailed and tutorial)

I eyedroppered B and A and made squares of each on a separate file, then moved them to this one.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 6:20pm

Post #80 of 92 (2800 views)
Shortcut
driveway moments... [In reply to] Can't Post

those moments when you sit there, idling in your car, burning perfectly good gas, so you can hear the end of a great story on NPR.

also, Whad'ya Know (not much, You?) another great NPR quiz show. http://www.notmuch.com/hear-the-show

Hilarious and quirky and informative.

Have heard the show about ospreys and vocal fry and things and stuff.

The osprey cam thing is hilarious, because it seems people just want to intervene in Nature, when they should just butt out. Out local osprey and eagle cams are great, but you have to teach folks that this is not human culture, this is bird culture.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 3 2015, 6:28pm

Post #81 of 92 (2799 views)
Shortcut
people's view on nature [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a forum that offers board space to neighborhoods around the world and the south side neighborhoods of Minneapolis are heavily represented and active.

I read them regularly and always enjoy the discussions of wildlife.

But there are, imo, some wacko attitudes towards wildlife.

Like : I hate ravens - I saw one MURDER a baby rabbit

Or: the person who argued that squirrels that make their way into people's attic should be allowed to live there because we are in their territory and it's only humane on our part to share the space.

So I could totally buy the reactions of some of those people on the Osprey cam website.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 7:13pm

Post #82 of 92 (2795 views)
Shortcut
What i finally did to *really* see it as it actually is on the screen [In reply to] Can't Post

is to make a simple paper cut-out that shows only those two squares. Even though i know it's an optical illusion (that i saw years ago), and all the excellent demonstrations above show it conclusively, it still fools my brain as i stare at the actual image. But as soon as i slide the piece of paper over the image, removing the two squares from the context of the other squares, i instantly see it and it makes sense in my brain. Brains!

As far as that dress goes, i can totally see how the "white" could be seen, or actually is, blue, but i have no idea how anyone ever saw the "gold" as black, or how the black can look gold under any lighting conditions. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the original image, or what the dress actually looks like in person (especially the black fringe), but i really don't care enough to look into it. Made for a fun conversation at work, though.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 6:42pm

Post #83 of 92 (2765 views)
Shortcut
best...wildlife ...story...ever..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I volunteered with some wildlife rehabbers and the iconic tale was how one rehabber had nurtured these two baby bunnies (they're actually kind of hard to raise, very sensitive and prone to sudden death) and finally released them, only to have crows come and carry them off...

She was like, "hey, Nature!"

Nature happens.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 4 2015, 10:08pm

Post #84 of 92 (2755 views)
Shortcut
I have jeans like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

One pair is brown, the other is dark olive. In the crummy light in my closet, I can barely tell which is which.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 5 2015, 12:36am

Post #85 of 92 (2733 views)
Shortcut
have you seen this video [In reply to] Can't Post

http://youtu.be/1VyQipO4miw

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 5 2015, 12:46am

Post #86 of 92 (2740 views)
Shortcut
A workmate and I rescued a baby bunny from a magpie last summer. [In reply to] Can't Post

The next day there was a magpie chattering in the tree next to my car as I started to go home, and I felt like I needed to apologize to him for stealing his dinner. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 12:50am

Post #87 of 92 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I stopped looking at many dedicated Bluebird forums [In reply to] Can't Post

and sites which I enjoyed learning from (ie: feeding and roosting tips) because of the intense emotions and angry debates over destroying starlings and HOSP in the US. The whole invader debate goes waaaaay past just discussing birds. That kind of rage and acrimony is just not for me, especially since there IS no easy answer to be had in terms of the birds themselves.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 4:25pm

Post #88 of 92 (2785 views)
Shortcut
starlings and stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

starlings are considered an invasive species here but they are here to stay, no doubt... they also consume bugs, so they do some good....

They are quite charming and smart, I raised one a wildlife rehabber didn't want (no game laws concern starlings), and it eventually flew off to have its own life. Perhaps we could create a pet market for them....Tongue

the ones I had issues with were the starlings who insisted on nesting in my van's engine compartment. The first hint of this was grass sticking out of my grill... I opened the hood to find a vast pile of grassy debris the size of three crockpots. Grrrmmblesnarrrrrldieevilbirdsdie Frown

It required the creation of various tools to reach in and extract the last bits of debris... which they rebuilt later. extract, rebuild rinse repeat... I tried obnoxious music, fans, mothballs.. finally had to arm the dam thing with mousetraps, which required (begin Mission Impossible theme now) disarming the van before driving off, and rearming it when I parked. The engine compartment of a Dodge Caravan is well packed and ridiculous... how those bloody birds got in there I have no idea...

I thought of other ideas, like just drive the van over a big tarp and tie it up... ShockedPirateUnimpressed

They finally gave up, or got tired of mousetraps.

Keeping an eye out this spring though...

As for bluebirds, giving them nesting sites, habitat and food and shelter should be enough, you'd think.

Invasives aren't evil in and of themselves, they're just in the wrong place. And before anyone starts blaming birds, think about how invasive we are in many places...

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 5:28pm

Post #89 of 92 (2702 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

They are quite charming and smart,

Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 5:37pm

Post #90 of 92 (2757 views)
Shortcut
The bluebird issue [In reply to] Can't Post

is that their sites are taken over by starlings and HOSP as quickly as they are provided; they all use the same 1.5" size entry hole, and especially HOSP are very adept at hijacking a nest site, or killing nearby bluebird chicks simply to remove them as competition. A highly effective way of species promotion...but from an anthropomorphic standpoint, quite painful. And of course WE are the ones that introduced both birds to this continent. *sigh* Good ol' common sense. NOT.

People maintain bluebird 'trails' where they set up nest boxes and maintain them in an effort to prevent extinction (which is what particularly the Eastern bluebird faces due to invasive species). That's where the emotion comes in though, when a nest site is set up and a clutch subsequently destroyed.

So I empathize with the work itself; but the other end of it is that it is likely completely impossible at this point to remove the invasive birds at this point (and I can't justify that kind of killing if it serves no overall purpose): so do we just let the ecosystem play out? Or do we try to preserve the Bluebird and hope with enough of a numbers comeback and subsequent adaptation it can survive? No easy answer.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 7 2015, 11:29pm

Post #91 of 92 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Tinkering [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Magpie. I opened the image below in Paint, used the dropper tool to extract colour from each square and they are exactly the same.

So then I tried the dress image (which I too see as periwinkle and dark gold/brown tending to gunmetal grey). Periwinkle stayed periwinkle, and the dark gold/brown tending to gunmetal grey stayed the same. Then I drew over the dress with black and white lines and they appeared black and white.

Does the owner of the dress say it's black and white? Is it some sort of sharkskin cloth that looks different when photographed? Is it a hoax? Was it photographed with night vision turned on accidentally?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 8 2015, 2:26pm

Post #92 of 92 (2611 views)
Shortcut
Actial color is... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does the owner of the dress say it's black and white? Is it some sort of sharkskin cloth that looks different when photographed? Is it a hoax? Was it photographed with night vision turned on accidentally?

The dress really is blue and black as revealed by an earlier post. Here is the source. One very significant clue in the image is that the white in the bag being carried registers clearly as white.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.