Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ Discussion, Ch. 12: Flight to the Ford; Pt. 3, A FRIEND INDEED to A LONG FLAT MILE

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 4 2015, 4:08am

Post #1 of 25 (4319 views)
Shortcut
**‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ Discussion, Ch. 12: Flight to the Ford; Pt. 3, A FRIEND INDEED to A LONG FLAT MILE Can't Post

It’s dusk Tuesday, Oct. 18th; the company reaches the Road and head east, but soon heard the sound of hoofs and they hid in the brush a short way off the Road. Then a light clippety-clippety-clip, and a dim tinkling of bells was heard. Strider gave a joyful cry and springing from hiding he dashed towards the Road. But the golden-haired Glorfindel had already reined Asfaloth and looked up into the brush.
At their meeting Glorfindel calls out ”Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!”
13. How did you feel when you first beheld the words clippety-clippety-clip and heard the tinkling of bells? Before Strider had even moved from hiding how did Glorfindel know to rein his horse and look to the exact spot where the company was hidden?
Not being a Sindarin linguist the familiar phrase “Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!” seems to have more than a single translation. Most accepted seems to be “Ah, at last Westman! Well met!”. Why would he not call Aragorn by name? As the Northern Rangers were Dúnedain does Glorfindel’s use of the epithet “Dúnadan” seem a rather impersonal greeting? Discussion on translation?

Now Glorfindel, in haste, tells that he had been searching for the company for nine days; that he had left the beryl on the Last Bridge; that five enemies were behind them; that he didn’t know the whereabouts of the other four; and that they must risk the danger of the Road. Glorfindel looked at the hilt of the Morgul-knife and said, “There are evil things written on this hilt, …though maybe your eyes cannot see them.”
14. We know the Elves have superior distance vision – but why would Aragorn not be able to see the (close up) “evil writings” on the knife-hilt?

As Glorfindel examines Frodo’s shoulder - ”the wounds of this weapon are beyond my skill to heal.”; but Frodo felt the chill lessen and a little warmth crept from shoulder to hand, and a measure of hope and strength returned.
15. Does it seem that Glorfindel has a greater healing power than Aragorn? It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel? Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise? (Pardon if some questions break protocol and delve off-chapter, but it seems some connections are inevitable at times.)

Glorfindel now shortens the stirrups up to the saddle-skirts on Asfaloth to accommodate Frodo’s height.
16. Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan? Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference?

Glorfindel led them on until dawn of the 19th when they were given less than five hours rest. He then (probably about 11 a.m.) gave each a sip of a liquor (miruvor?) and urged them on only allowing two brief halts that day. Often he would stop and listen anxiously as the others lagged.
17. Does it seem that from this and previous and following passages that Glorfindel has taken charge of the company and given Aragorn a well deserved respite? How do you feel about Aragorn’s willingness to accept this lesser position? Would it be natural for a Man to give authority to an Elf?
If we think forward to the Three Hunters chase across Rohan it is clearly Aragorn in charge of an Elf and a Dwarf. Would the difference be that Glorfindel was a Noldorin Lord of some great power, whereas Legolas was a Sindarin prince, son of King Thranduil?

Early the next morning Glorfindel warns that pursuit is probably close behind and others may be waiting near the Ford. That afternoon Tolkien describes a somewhat mysterious tunnel-like passageway that opens onto a “sharp incline” where they beheld a “long flat mile” before the Ford of Rivendell. Half way across the flat they saw behind them five Black Riders. Glorfindel told Frodo to ”Ride forward! Ride!”, but, Frodo hesitated and drew his sword as Glorfindel cried the well-known words of “command”, ”noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!”.
18. Was Frodo’s hesitation due to an actual somewhat telepathic “command” from the Five? Or did he again feel a reluctance to leave his companions? Or was the Morgul-wound beginning to cloud his judgment and was he beginning to fade into the Wraith-world?

Next: The Chase

flyingfish98
The Shire

Mar 4 2015, 12:00pm

Post #2 of 25 (4222 views)
Shortcut
Delurks...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, thank you all for very interesting discussions. While I've not posted for ages, I have been following and greatly enjoying the read through.

13. How did you feel when you first beheld the words clippety-clippety-clip and heard the tinkling of bells? Before Strider had even moved from hiding how did Glorfindel know to rein his horse and look to the exact spot where the company was hidden?

I can't remember what impression those particular words had - by this time I was on to the next sentence and in to the realisation that it wasn't an enemy. It was an Elf. Who was awesome.........which answers the last question. Presumably Glorfindel has some sense of others around him, as might the horse - they do often pick up on things before their riders do, so if you're paying attention you have some warning of potential trouble.

Not being a Sindarin linguist the familiar phrase “Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!” seems to have more than a single translation. Most accepted seems to be “Ah, at last Westman! Well met!”. Why would he not call Aragorn by name? As the Northern Rangers were Dúnedain does Glorfindel’s use of the epithet “Dúnadan” seem a rather impersonal greeting? Discussion on translation?

Aragon was raised in secret in Rivendell, and not told his true name until he was an adult; the Elves may have become used to calling him Dunadan, and called him that out of habit. Or,unlike the movies, where every man and his horse from the Grey Havens to the far side of Mordor seems to know Aragorn, his lineage and even his personal effects, the book does suggest that he conceals his identity as a means of protection from Sauron. I'd expect, if this were the case, that Glorfindel wouldn't be hollering out his fairly obviously royal name with a bunch of Nazgul in the vicinity. Because that would detract from his awesomeness.

Now Glorfindel, in haste, tells that he had been searching for the company for nine days; that he had left the beryl on the Last Bridge; that five enemies were behind them; that he didn’t know the whereabouts of the other four; and that they must risk the danger of the Road. Glorfindel looked at the hilt of the Morgul-knife and said, “There are evil things written on this hilt, …though maybe your eyes cannot see them.”
14. We know the Elves have superior distance vision – but why would Aragorn not be able to see the (close up) “evil writings” on the knife-hilt?

Not sure on this one, but this was my first encounter with beryl being used as anything other than a woman's name. I think I went and looked it up in the OED. In my experience, the sort of women who carried the name Beryl would be familiar to readers of the Farside and would have given any Nazgul a fair degree of grief.

As Glorfindel examines Frodo’s shoulder - ”the wounds of this weapon are beyond my skill to heal.”; but Frodo felt the chill lessen and a little warmth crept from shoulder to hand, and a measure of hope and strength returned.
15. Does it seem that Glorfindel has a greater healing power than Aragorn?

More awesomeness.

It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel? Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise?
(Pardon if some questions break protocol and delve off-chapter, but it seems some connections are inevitable at times.)

I never really connected it with Vilya, but Elrond and his lineage are both fairly impressive, so I don't think it's a stretch to see him as having the temperament and inclination to acquire healing lore and skills. Through the Legendarium Glorfindel appears to me as being more militarily inclined, and Tolkien does comment that Elves tend to be drawn towards one or the other. It may be that certain exceptional individuals are awesome in one area and competent in others, so both Glorfindel and Elrond can fight and heal, but not necessarily both equally well.

Glorfindel now shortens the stirrups up to the saddle-skirts on Asfaloth to accommodate Frodo’s height.
16. Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan? Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference?

Practicality. A properly fitted saddle distributes the weight of a rider either side of the horse's spine, rather than directly on it, and over a greater surface area. A horse can travel further and faster more comfortably with their rider in a good saddle rather than bareback. More comfortable and secure for the rider too, so given the aim was to find a wandering hobbit and get him to Rivendell quickly, a saddle gives an advantage. What Legolas was thinking, I don't know, maybe he was not anticipating the group would move particularly large distances each day; armies often don't, and Tolkien would have had experience of this. Or maybe he just wanted to see Gimli try and walk after a day of bareback riding ;)

Glorfindel led them on until dawn of the 19th when they were given less than five hours rest. He then (probably about 11 a.m.) gave each a sip of a liquor (miruvor?) and urged them on only allowing two brief halts that day. Often he would stop and listen anxiously as the others lagged.
17. Does it seem that from this and previous and following passages that Glorfindel has taken charge of the company and given Aragorn a well deserved respite? How do you feel about Aragorn’s willingness to accept this lesser position? Would it be natural for a Man to give authority to an Elf?
If we think forward to the Three Hunters chase across Rohan it is clearly Aragorn in charge of an Elf and a Dwarf. Would the difference be that Glorfindel was a Noldorin Lord of some great power, whereas Legolas was a Sindarin prince, son of King Thranduil?

Aragorn was clearly more knowledgable and experienced than Legolas for their situation in Rohan; around Rivendell, Glorfindel may have known as much or more regarding the terrain and conditions. There was also the issue of who the hobbits regarded as a leader. Continuing your tradition of jumping ahead, doesn't Frodo comment to Gandalf that Sam at least never really trusted Aragorn until they met Glorfindel. Like me, Sam just recognised awesomeness when he saw it, and figured anyone this Elf likes must be a good guy. They also seemed to complain a little less when Glorfindel was pushing them on, as opposed to Aragorn, although the narrative speeds up once they meet up, and there is not as much detail as there had previously been. Maybe Glorfindel just kept them moving too fast to have the energy to complain.

Early the next morning Glorfindel warns that pursuit is probably close behind and others may be waiting near the Ford. That afternoon Tolkien describes a somewhat mysterious tunnel-like passageway that opens onto a “sharp incline” where they beheld a “long flat mile” before the Ford of Rivendell. Half way across the flat they saw behind them five Black Riders. Glorfindel told Frodo to ”Ride forward! Ride!”, but, Frodo hesitated and drew his sword as Glorfindel cried the well-known words of “command”, ”noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!”.
18. Was Frodo’s hesitation due to an actual somewhat telepathic “command” from the Five? Or did he again feel a reluctance to leave his companions? Or was the Morgul-wound beginning to cloud his judgment and was he beginning to fade into the Wraith-world?

I always interpreted it as a telepathic command (insert John Hurt's voice "they are holding him with their will......")

Next: The Chase

Wink

Hurrah, one of my favourite scenes. Unlike you, I never minded the PJ substitution here. Glorfindel remains one of my favourite characters in the book, and, given how other Elves were portrayed throughout all 6 films, I am glad I never saw a movie version of him. I quite liked the chase scene with Arwen (though not as much as the horse chase in Raiders of the Lost Ark), with the only annoyance being the constant switching between two completely different Asfaloths.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 12:43pm

Post #3 of 25 (4221 views)
Shortcut
On clippety-clippety-clops and other important literary elements [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you feel when you first beheld the words clippety-clippety-clip and heard the tinkling of bells?

Anything that goes clippety-clippety-clop cannot be dangerous. (I'm pretty sure the Black Riders' mounts go Clop. Clop. You know, ominously.)

I have nothing to offer in terms of linguistics, but “Dúnadan” struck me as more of an honorific or title than a general people-group term.

I think this has less to do with physical eyesight and more to do with spiritual eyesight.

Yes. I think he has greater healing ability in the spiritual realm.

It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel? Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise?

Hmm, yes, that's my guess--Elrond's ring makes the difference.

Come on, the guy's got to have something to hang his bells on.

He then (probably about 11 a.m.) gave each a sip of a liquor (miruvor?)

And a darn good thing it was only a sip. Remember the Hobbits in the Shire after Gildor's Elven hooch--singing at the top of their voices like they didn't have a care in the world... Shocked

I didn't read it as "taking charge" so much as two "equals"--or teammates, if you will--who know the other's worth, taking up where the other leaves off. So yes, I read it as Glorfindel, who has greater knowledge of what has been going on in this area, and a general idea of where the Riders are and how many, taking over as guide. He probably knows the burden Aragorn had been bearing as the leader (how much has the poor man slept over the last few weeks, I wonder!) and as the person in charge of the Ringbearer against such fearsome enemies.

Whether it would be "natural" for a Man to give authority to an Elf...I'd think that would depend on the individual Man!

Maybe. Or maybe the difference was that Legolas knew who and what Aragorn was.

I think it was the Riders' command, because the text reads "a strange reluctance seized him." It would not be strange for Frodo to not want to leave his companions. I didn't get the impression that the Morgul-wound itself clouds judgment, at least not until it does its complete work and turns the victim into a wraith.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Mar 4 2015, 12:56pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 4 2015, 4:27pm

Post #4 of 25 (4192 views)
Shortcut
I’m glad you decided to delurk Flyingfish.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and thanks for your perspicacious comments.

I hope you will consider to continue to delurk; your input is valuable. Yes, it can be frightening out here in the open (at least for me at times) revealing your innermost opinions for possible attack. A thick skin or a mithril corselet seems to help. Wink

Thanks again for your observations.
Cheers

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 4 2015, 4:47pm

Post #5 of 25 (4198 views)
Shortcut
You gotta love this!.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Come on, the guy's got to have something to hang his bells on.

That’s it! The definitive answer I’ve been brooding over! Wink

In Reply To
I have nothing to offer in terms of linguistics, but “Dúnadan” struck me as more of an honorific or title than a general people-group term.

So true. And Bilbo calls him “Dunadan” or The Dunadan.. later in Rivendell.

Thanks Riven

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 4 2015, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 25 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Albus ex machina [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s dusk Tuesday, Oct. 18th; the company reaches the Road and head east, but soon heard the sound of hoofs and they hid in the brush a short way off the Road. Then a light clippety-clippety-clip, and a dim tinkling of bells was heard. Strider gave a joyful cry and springing from hiding he dashed towards the Road. But the golden-haired Glorfindel had already reined Asfaloth and looked up into the brush.

Unfortunately CT’s description of Hugo Dyson "lying on the couch, and lolling and shouting and saying, 'Oh God, no more Elves!’" always comes to my mind at this point.

At their meeting Glorfindel calls out ”Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Mae govannen!”
13. How did you feel when you first beheld the words clippety-clippety-clip and heard the tinkling of bells?

“What the heck is it with British fantasy writers and Father Christmas?”

“Strider, Adam’s Son,” said Father Christmas.
“Here, Sir,” said Strider.
“These are your presents,” was the answer, “and they are tools not toys. The time to use them is perhaps near at hand. Bear them well.” With these words he handed to Strider a shield and a sword. On the shield there flowered a White Tree, but Seven Stars were about it, and a high crown above it. And on the sword’s blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun, and about them was written many runes. Very bright was that sword; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Father Christmas called it Andúril, Flame of the West, and it had a sheath and a sword belt and everything it needed,
Last of all he said, “Sam, Adam’s Son,” and Sam came forward. He gave him a little bottle of what looked like glass (but people said afterwards that it was made of diamond). “In this bottle,” he said, “there is a cordial made of the juice of one of the fire-flowers that grow in the mountains of the sun. If you or any of your friends are hurt, a few drops of this will restore you.”
“And now”—here he suddenly looked less grave—”here is something for the moment for you all!” and he brought out (I suppose from the big bag at his back, but nobody quite saw him do it) a large tray containing five cups and saucers, a bowl of lump sugar, a jug of cream, and a great big teapot all sizzling and piping hot. Then he cried out “A Merry Christmas! Long live the High King!” and cracked his whip and he and the reindeer and the sledge and all were out of sight before anyone realised that they had started.

-Barely Started Tales

Oh, boy! Strider now has a *real* sword and Sam can cure Frodo! Yay!

(But of course this is British so teatime first.)

Before Strider had even moved from hiding how did Glorfindel know to rein his horse and look to the exact spot where the company was hidden?

“Wow, Glorfindel sure is a great tracker and hunter!”

Of course one might be excused for going, “Boy Strider sure is a lousy ranger! A random Elf can just ride out into the hundreds of square miles of the Wild and just about immediately find Strider hiding behind a random bush! No wonder the Nazgul have been hot on his tail since Bree!!"

It’s called The Worf Effect, after the big bad Klingon warrior Worf in Star Trek:TNG. Basically in order to show how tough a new character is the writers have them beat up Worf. Unfortunately after a while instead of going “Wow, that new guy sure is tough!” the audience goes “Boy, that Worf sure is a wimp!”

It’s an old convention, going back to Arthurian legend, where a new unknown guy shows up to join the Round Table and impresses King Arthur and the reader by beating up all the other knights. Of course the next new guy to show up then beats the previously unbeatable knight along with all the other knights, and so on and so forth until one wonders if there’s something in the water of Camelot that turns every unbeatable fighter into a 90 pound weakling.

The legends of Robin Hood also feature this convention, as just about all of the Merry Men are recruited after meeting Robin in the forest and beating the snot out of him.

Not being a Sindarin linguist the familiar phrase “Ai na vedui Dúnadan!....

Or as Legolas would say, “Ai! Ai! A Westman! A Westman has come!!”

But there seemed to be a note of haste or fear in his call…

Definitely an echo of Legolas.

…Mae govannen!” seems to have more than a single translation. Most accepted seems to be “Ah, at last Westman! Well met!”. Why would he not call Aragorn by name?

The name Aragorn is a secret that is not his to tell. There might be somebody around who could overhear. Of course the fact that Glorfindel is cautious about there being an unseen bad guy lurking nearby kinda shows how bad at hiding Strider really is.

As the Northern Rangers were Dúnedain does Glorfindel’s use of the epithet “Dúnadan” seem a rather impersonal greeting?

`And why do you call him Dúnadan?' asked Frodo.
`*The* Dúnadan,' said Bilbo. `He is often called that here. But I thought you knew enough Elvish at least to know dún-udan: Man of the West, Númenorean. But this is not the time for lessons!'

-Many Meetings

So this is very significant as...

*looks up at Bracegirdle's reply to Riven Delve*

Er, never mind.

Discussion on translation?

Cathalán mac Indrechtaig (died 871) was a Dál Fiatach king of Ulaid. The name evolved into “Culhane” and in 1967 there was a western series called “Dundee and the Culhane”, though I never knew exactly why the Irish guy was nicknamed “The Culhane”. The next year I read LOTR and was struck by the similarity with “The Dúnadan”.

BTW, the TV series had a really jaunty theme song.

Now Glorfindel, in haste, tells that he had been searching for the company for nine days; that he had left the beryl on the Last Bridge;…

’Whether it was set there, or let fall by chance, I cannot say...’

Why couldn’t ranger Strider say? One would think Glorfindel would have positioned it there as to be quite deliberately conspicuous.

…that five enemies were behind them;…

No kidding, Sherlock!

…that he didn’t know the whereabouts of the other four;….

Why not, oh mighty tracker? You found the whereabouts of Strider easily enough!

…and that they must risk the danger of the Road.

Overruling Strider, who has been scrupulously avoiding the Road since Bree.

Which Glorfindel looked at the hilt of the Morgul-knife and said, “There are evil things written on this hilt, …though maybe your eyes cannot see them.”

It would seem Elvish vision is sensitive to different wavelengths. The use of infrared can bring out writing so faded as to be otherwise invisible such as on the Dead Sea Scrolls. X-rays can reveal inscriptions on objects that have been so worn down as to seem absolutely smooth to the human eye. (Such as, say, on a really really old knife hilt.)

Then again, maybe it’s maaaagic!

In any case, Glorfindel can obviously see much better than Strider. The hobbits’ previous guide is becoming more and more useless. (But at least he's not being upstaged by a she-elf!)

That’s usually the case with Mary Sue characters: Better at everything than anybody.

It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel?

Elrond has an entire Elven Hospital, including a full library, plenty of qualified nurses, all the latest state-of-the-art Third Age technology, a full medical garden, and, most importantly, a bed with clean sheets.

Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise?

Well, that too.

(Pardon if some questions break protocol and delve off-chapter, but it seems some connections are inevitable at times.)

Gesundheit.

16. Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan?

In response to Rhona Beare’s question “Why (in the first edition of LOTR 1.221) Glorfindel’s horse is described as having a ‘bridle and bit’ when Elves ride without bit, bridle, or saddle?":

I could, I suppose, answer : ‘a trick -cyclist can ride a bicycyle without handle-bars!’ But actually bridle was casually and carelessly used for what I suppose I should have called a headstall. Or, rather, since bit was added (1 221) long ago (Chapter 1 12 was written very early) I had not considered the natural way of elves with animals. Glorfindel’s horse would have had an ornamental headstall, carrying a plume, and with the straps studded with jewels and small bells; but Glor. would certainly not use a bit. I will change bridle and bit to headstall.
-Letter #211

As you see, though asked the good Professor doesn’t answer the saddle question either way.

Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference?

A couple of answers.

First, Glorfindel says “I was sent from Rivendell to look for you.”, so he might have used a saddle simply because of the possibility, as happened in the event, that a non-Elf might have to ride Asfaloth and so a saddle would be needed.

The second possibility is that Legolas was just being a snot by showing up the Rohirrim to get a bit of his own back:

Remember earlier:

Éomer's eyes blazed, and the Men of Rohan murmured angrily, and closed in, advancing their spears. "I would cut off your head, beard and all, Master Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground ' said Éomer.
"He stands not alone," said Legolas, bending his bow and fitting an arrow with hands that moved quicker than sight. "You would die before your stroke fell."
Éomer raised his sword, and things might have gone ill, but Aragorn sprang between them, and raised his hand. "Your pardon, Éomer!" he cried. "When you know more you will understand why you have angered my companions..

-The Riders of Rohan

So later:

A smaller and lighter horse, but restive and fiery, was brought to Legolas. Arod was his name. But Legolas asked them to take off saddle and rein. "I need them not," he said, and leaped lightly up, and to their wonder Arod was tame and willing beneath him, moving here and there with but a spoken word: such was the elvish way with all good beasts.
-ibid

That’ll show them!

17. Does it seem that from this and previous and following passages that Glorfindel has taken charge of the company…

And a good thing considering Strider’s previous performance.

….and given Aragorn a well deserved respite?

Like how a baseball pitcher who just gave up a walk, tossed a wild pitch into the bleachers, and bobbled a sacrifice bunt,all to load up the bases, then threw a slow fat hanger down the middle for a grand slam home-run gets a well-deserved respite to the showers.

How do you feel about Aragorn’s willingness to accept this lesser position?

Rather annoying.

Would it be natural for a Man to give authority to an Elf?

It would be natural for a one-time pupil to defer to a former teacher. Too bad Padawan Strider never did advance in class enough to take Professor Glorfindel's “How To Kill A Balrog 101”.

More like he finally found his confidence at Amon Hen:

“My heart speaks clearly at last…”
-The Departure of Boromir

No wonder The Elf and The Dwarf follow him!

Early the next morning Glorfindel warns that pursuit is probably close behind and others may be waiting near the Ford. That afternoon Tolkien describes a somewhat mysterious tunnel-like passageway that opens onto a “sharp incline” where they beheld a “long flat mile” before the Ford of Rivendell. Half way across the flat they saw behind them five Black Riders. Glorfindel told Frodo to ”Ride forward! Ride!”,…

A question I’ve always had: Isn’t Frodo just a passenger on Asfaloth? Or is he actually expected to be a real rider and command and guide a full sized spirited intelligent Elven horse at a full out gallop when the most he’s ever done is ride around on a little gentle pony?

… but, Frodo hesitated and drew his sword as Glorfindel cried the well-known words of “command”, ”noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!”.
18. Was Frodo’s hesitation due to an actual somewhat telepathic “command” from the Five?

I’m thinking the ring like back in The Prancing Pony, which would explain his next great moment of courage/idiocy

Or did he again feel a reluctance to leave his companions?

Frodo’s greatest moments of courage in the quest are defined by him leaving the safety and protection of others.

Or was the Morgul-wound beginning to cloud his judgment…

Suffering a prolonged period of constant pain of even the most minor sort can do exactly that.

Pain wears you down.

Again, 2nd Lieutenant Tolkien would be aware of that.

…and was he beginning to fade into the Wraith-world?

That too.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 12:00am

Post #7 of 25 (4168 views)
Shortcut
More on Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

More links to The Hobbit? Thank goodness the bells don't tra-la-lally. Wink The lightness, the very musicalness though immediately gives a different impression. Deeper is the knowledge that since music is the basis of creation, that feeling of lightness is more than just a noise.
Translation-wise, I think Strider as 'THE Dunedain' is significant. Singling him out among many. And important to the Elves as well, because of who he is.

More sense of reading the spirit-nature of the writings?

15. Does it seem that Glorfindel has a greater healing power than Aragorn? It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel? Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise?
No, because it is imperative for Frodo to be taken to Elrond for his aid. As far as the why of the healing powers, Elrond comes of such an honored line that I can see the idea of 'blood' and the inheritance of the valor of Earandel shows in the healing and wisdom of the twin that chose Elvenkind. A very philosophical point I think, and a deeply rooted in Sil history, versus a working, nuts-and-bolts sort of comparison.Not sure if Vilya would make a difference...or if the fact that he is of the stature to BEAR Vilya in itself indicates his strength.

16. Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan? Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference? A little plot-device-ish I think. As we hear of later Legolas riding bearback and rein-less, I might be the preference from the sense of Elven husbandry of all good beasts. The headstall (modified as) and the saddle in this case appear to be decorative and, since Frodo will have to ride, a necessary device. We can hardly expect Frodo to ride bareback on a full-sized horse. So it has to be saddle, or Frodo riding with Glorfindel. Potentially we can say that since Glorfindel was expecting to have to aid mortals, both are needed for that purpose?

I think here the purpose is to continue what I was seeing in your last post: to highlight the differences between the greatest of Men and a Firstborn of power. The later comeraderie is more road-based, and need-based I think. As well as Legolas setting forth with Aragorn as the King to be, and everyone knowing it. Makes it official.

Yes, I think the subversion of Frodo's fea is showing here.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 25 (4132 views)
Shortcut
Anyone any idea why Glorfindel doesn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone any idea why Glorfindel doesn't think to ride for Rivendell like the blazes with Frodo, leaving Aragorn and the hobbits to follow?

Medi-vacing Frodo seems sensible given his condition, & Glorfindel says that he doesn't think the Riders would molest the others: it's Frodo and the Ring they're after.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 6:33pm

Post #9 of 25 (4125 views)
Shortcut
Great question [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure I have the answer, but possibly Glorfindel is worried about the fate of the others if say, seven of the Nine pursue, and two Nazgul are dispatched to attack Strider and the hobbits, this time not daunted by Strider and his burning brands. Just a thought. I agree that medi-vacing Frodo and coming back for the others is the priority. But possibly, in this fog of war when no one knew where the Nazgul were, and Glorfindel had already driven off some on his own, he thought that the best idea was to shelter them all and keep track of them as a single group, and that he might only be facing a couple Nazgul at the Ford, which he could deal with on his own and then pass them by.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 6:37pm

Post #10 of 25 (4119 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if there is a logical answer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Anyone any idea why Glorfindel doesn't think to ride for Rivendell like the blazes with Frodo, leaving Aragorn and the hobbits to follow?

Medi-vacing Frodo seems sensible given his condition, & Glorfindel says that he doesn't think the Riders would molest the others: it's Frodo and the Ring they're after.

versus the underlying themes that the Elves have begun to fade, and thus burden falls to others. (?)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 5 2015, 7:24pm

Post #11 of 25 (4118 views)
Shortcut
You know better than that Curious... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the same reason you brought up long, long ago.
"Why didn't the Eagles fly Frodo to the Ford?"

Why didn't Glorfindel medivace Frodo to the Ford?

Shucks, just not devices that Tolkien cared to pursue...Cool

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 5 2015, 8:52pm

Post #12 of 25 (4116 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really know what I thought the first time I read the passage, because it was 45 years ago, but when I read the question, I immediately thought of that Narnia passage. Nicely played.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 5 2015, 9:19pm

Post #13 of 25 (4106 views)
Shortcut
Lighter = Faster [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

A horse with one rider is faster than with two--even if one is only a hobbit? Glorfindel also had a great deal of confidence in his mount's intelligence and (dare I post it?) horse-sense.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 9:45pm

Post #14 of 25 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given his reasons in the book, and adding to it the fact that extra weight=slower horse, I think it is reasonable.

Hmmm.... Now I'm wondering... How much does a Nazgul weigh? Would it impact their speed to a greater or lesser degree?

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 9:53pm

Post #15 of 25 (4095 views)
Shortcut
Do they 'weigh' only what they carry...? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Hmmm.... Now I'm wondering... How much does a Nazgul weigh? Would it impact their speed to a greater or lesser degree?

Lacking mass?

I suppose that works on a mathematical and religious-allegory sense. (Oh, that's truly awful.)Blush Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 10:02pm

Post #16 of 25 (4098 views)
Shortcut
Almost there! [In reply to] Can't Post

13. How did you feel when you first beheld the words clippety-clippety-clip and heard the tinkling of bells?

First: No! No more Tra-la-la-la-lally-ing!

Next: Hey... Bells are great accessories for scouts! Who let him out of Rivendell like that!

Before Strider had even moved from hiding how did Glorfindel know to rein his horse and look to the exact spot where the company was hidden?

'Keen are the eyes of the Elves!'

Well, Aragorn is incognito at this point, plus the fact that he lived with the name 'Estel' for twenty years, so a combination of secrecy and old habit, I think.

Or it could have been a competition with Gandalf.

Gandalf: To the Elves, I am Mithrandir. I have many names.

Aragorn: Oh, yeah? I'm Estel, Dunedain, Aragorn, Thorongil, Strider, and Elessar!

We know the Elves have superior distance vision – but why would Aragorn not be able to see the (close up) “evil writings” on the knife-hilt?

More like magical enchantment visible in the spirit world, I think.

Does it seem that Glorfindel has a greater healing power than Aragorn?

I get the sense that he is transferring some kind of strength from himself to Frodo-- something Aragorn might not be able to do, or too weak at this time to accomplish.

And, yeah.. As one member pointed out...'Anything you can do, Elves can do better!'

It is hinted that Elrond has an impressive power to heal, and made quite clear in Bk. 2, Ch. I. Why would Elrond’s medicinal prowess be greater than the Noldorin Elf-lord Glorfindel?

Well, he is the Elf they've come so far to see; he'd better be good! He also has a city, ages of experience, and a huge library.

Also, if Glorifindel is NOT a First Age Elf, he might be older and generally wiser.

Would Elrond’s possession of the Elven-ring Vilya help to give him this expertise?

Maybe...

Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan? Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference?

No, I'm thinking that he thought he might have to fight, so he wanted a more secure fighting platform.

Indeed, with those bells, how could he expect NOT to fight?

Does it seem that from this and previous and following passages that Glorfindel has taken charge of the company and given Aragorn a well deserved respite? How do you feel about Aragorn’s willingness to accept this lesser position? Would it be natural for a Man to give authority to an Elf?

I'm sure they are friends and are playing to each other's strengths. Aragorn knows Glorifindel would do a better job facing down the immediate threat, and let him guide them. He doesn't stand on rank, ceremony, or dignity.

Aragorn accepted that then was the time to put himself forward. He had to take charge of the company, or else how would he guide a kingdom?

Was Frodo’s hesitation due to an actual somewhat telepathic “command” from the Five? Or did he again feel a reluctance to leave his companions?
Or was the Morgul-wound beginning to cloud his judgment and was he beginning to fade into the Wraith-world?

I think we are meant to think so... See the earlier chapters and BlackFox's point of 'suggestive language' used in the books to make us draw our own conclusions.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 10:16pm

Post #17 of 25 (4085 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Flyingfish! Glad to have you posting! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 10:36pm

Post #18 of 25 (4081 views)
Shortcut
Glad to*see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for 'taking off your ring' and joining us! Wonderful thoughts, all of them! I'm happy you've found it enjoyable to follow the discussion, so much so that you have joined us.

Let me be the next to welcome you to The Fellowship of the Room and our travels through Middle-Earth!

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2015, 12:24am

Post #19 of 25 (4081 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf gives the answer in the next chapter [In reply to] Can't Post

That even Aragorn and Glorfindel together could not withstand all of the Nine. The only hope for Frodo was in speed. All the others could do was to watch and cross their fingers

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 6 2015, 1:56am

Post #20 of 25 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I, the supposedly great and powerful chapter leader am still here... [In reply to] Can't Post

And trying to keep up with part 3.

But as Rem's signature says - "Uh...where was I?" CrazyCrazy

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 11:49am

Post #21 of 25 (4055 views)
Shortcut
Why we quibbles (sometimes), precious [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Shucks, just not devices that Tolkien cared to pursue...

Yes, that's certainly one answer: and one I sometimes use myself. Personally I seem to sometimes enjoy this kind of {why/why not/what if} kind of question, and sometimes have no patience for it. Not sure why I'm sometimes the Smeagol of plot holes and speculation, and sometimes the Gollum. Wink

Come to think of it, I think Tolkien was like that too - he's either dismiss a question with a wave ("I don't care", "The mind should not boggle" etc.), or take it seriously enough to go and write an Unfinished Tale to try and solve it...

Still, I think this kind of thing does no harm, unless it either annoys people or detracts from their enjoyment of the book (in which case my apologies, and luckily this forum software allows people to spawn sub-threads, so that it is not to hard to ignore sub-threads that are unappealing.

It's got me thinking about what the fun is in plot-holing and speculation of this kind.

It is not (and I hope it never comes across as) "the Professor Tolkien fellow was not so smart! Watch as I, NoWiz can pick holes in his work!"

Instead:

Sometimes something that baffles me as a reader has an explanation that someone else on this forum knows, and that enhances my enjoyment of the story.
(There are so many examples of this that I would not like to try and pick one out).

Sometimes here's a lot to be learned from what you might call "experimental plot tweaking": what happens if you imagine the story with something changed. Often it is not as good. Or sometimes it is not much different. I think these experiments can give insights into a writer and his or her work; or into storytelling or life in a wider way.
As an example, I'm going to pick Squire's contribution to a discussion about the consequences (or indeed lack of consequences) of imagining Bilbo as a female character. (I really enjoyed that discussion, as I have enjoyed many others!). http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=696064#696064

A lot of this is about suspension of disbelief. A writer can get away with just about anything provided the readers believe it . Tolkien builds up a very strong suspension of disbelief, and so readers feel sure there must be some explanation somewhere for any random thing. There have been many times I have really enjoyed the ingenious explanations that people come up with here - it can be a good game come art form to find an explanation with lots of internal consistency: something Tolkien might have come up with himself, perhaps.

Then again, I see that Tolkien's writings are not (and would not be as good if they were) a sort of puzzle. Some writing is, of course. The kind of detective story sometimes known as a "Whodunnit?" is a good example. The reader is invited to play a game in which he or she tries to work out who killed Mrs Boddie in the Drawing Room with the poisoned cocoa, and why the murderer did it. The storyteller uses his or her skill to release enough information and enough misinformation at the right speed to make the game seem fair. At the least, the reader shouldn't have any substantial questions left after the denouement: the detective (the author really) must have come up with a compelling solution. And if there were red herrings (maybe Colonel Twaddle's mysterious visits to the local wood) we expect an explanation for those (his secretiveness about his wildflower collecting, which he sees as insufficiently macho for a decorated ex-commando),

Tolkien isn't like that (or not completely). Bombadill and Goldberry are encountered but not explained: one simply has to walk to Mordor, not be dropped in by Eagle, and so on. We came across this a lot in our recent discussion of the "detour" chapters - so unnecessary to the "spine" of the plot, but so needed in other hard-to-define ways. There are loose ends and unexplained things in Tolkien's writing, but not because it is bad writing (at least I think not). Because it is a little like the loose ends and unexplained things in life, really. I think one can probe the limits, but still remain satisfied that the limits exist. The writing is a "mystery" (an open ended thing) rather than a puzzle (something with a defined solution that readers are invited to work out).

And of course it is many other things! nearly as many, or far more , than Malcolm Lowry claimed for his novel Under The Volcano:

"It can be read simply as a story which you can skip if you want. It can be read as a story you will get more out of if you don’t skip. It can be regarded as a kind of symphony, or in another way as a kind of opera — or even a horse opera. It is hot music, a poem, a song, a tragedy, a comedy, a farce, and so forth. It is superficial, profound, entertaining and boring, according to taste. It is a prophecy, a political warning, a cryptogram, a preposterous movie, and a writing on the wall. It can even be regarded as a sort of machine: it works too, believe me, as I have found out."

Malcolm Lowry - as part of a 45-page letter to his publisher, describing his new work, Under The Volcano

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 1:22pm

Post #22 of 25 (4051 views)
Shortcut
If Tolkien were alive and a TORN member [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess he would answer many of our questions, just as he did in Letters. Some he would dismiss, as you point out, but others he would answer with whole new tales.

I also think the reason we pull Tolkien apart is that his books are like a magic sweater. You can pull it apart and unravel it into its original ball of yarn, but poof, it takes its whole shape again when you're through. You can't say that of every book you read. That's why it's so fun.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 2:21pm

Post #23 of 25 (4044 views)
Shortcut
I think the chapter leader is like a host at a party... [In reply to] Can't Post

...once things really start cooking, there's a hubbub of happy conversation, laughter etc.. No need to worry about keeping up with everything once things have got that far- since things are going well, enjoy the party. Wink

~~~~~~

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 9:49pm

Post #24 of 25 (4023 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Indeed, with those bells, how could he expect NOT to fight?

sador
Half-elven

Mar 10 2015, 4:24pm

Post #25 of 25 (3946 views)
Shortcut
Here comes the coach! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keen are the nostrils of the elves," said Stomper.
"And light are their feet," muttered the dwarf under his breath.

Why would he not call Aragorn by name?

'I can add some more, if you'd like it,' said Sam. 'Calling your Chief Names, Wishing to punch his Pimply Face, and Thinking you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools.'

As the Northern Rangers were Dúnedain does Glorfindel’s use of the epithet “Dúnadan” seem a rather impersonal greeting? Discussion on translation?
Is it time for a serious answer?
Okay, then.
Seriously, this might not be more impersonal than "old man" or "bro", especially if he is indeed the Dúnadan.

Elrond had played this trick before, on no less a person than Gandalf (even if Tolkien excuses the wizard by saying that before the moon was full, he had no chance of noticing).
But there are wavelengths humans cannot see, and I won't be surprised if elves can.

Yes. But he is older, and had time to learn more lore.

He has more practice.

But I expect that Tolkien was having in mind Elrond's ancestry, beginning with Melian and Lúthien.

That's likely; but if the Great Rings were 'amplifiers' (I think Shippey uses this term somewhere), it only enhanced skills he possessed already.

Pardon if some questions break protocol and delve off-chapter, but it seems some connections are inevitable at times.
How dare you?!? Mad

Well, there is no protocol to breach. And even if there were, I think such questions are definitely within the margin - I actually think reading a chapter without knowing the greater canvass is narrow and limited.
In short, I don't think many leaders keep within this 'protocol'. And I am likely to be the greatest offender.

16. Does Glorfindel’s use of a saddle contradict the fact that Legolas wanted neither saddle nor rein in Rohan?

Somebody quoted Tolkien's own answer to that question. Personally, I don't mind if you find it unconvincing (IMHO, it isn't the first unconvincing explanation he offers in his Letters).

Would there be a riding difference between a Sindar and a Noldor, or simply an individual Elven preference?
If anything, a Noldor would be more prone to showing off.

But I think the explanation that Glorfindel was expecting to have a non-elf ride Asfaloth is a good one. The same with the bells - it seems he expected the hobbits to be hiding, and wanted to draw them with a reassuring sound (remember that according to The Hobbit, hobbits are very good aty stealth - and he had no idea they would be accompanied by a clumsy, blundering oaf of the Big Folk).

17. Does it seem that from this and previous and following passages that Glorfindel has taken charge of the company and given Aragorn a well deserved respite?
I'm not a baseball expert, but I get Darkstone's drift.

How do you feel about Aragorn’s willingness to accept this lesser position?
Being demoted to a Minister of State after cabinet membership is never a compliment. But it's still a nice salary, and he stays a member of the Privy Council.

Would it be natural for a Man to give authority to an Elf?
For this Man, yes. Remember his upbringing! And even Húrin accepted Fingon's overlordship.

But I can see proper Númenoreans with the right schooling resenting it. As I once wrote, Malbeth the Seer seemed not to approve of Rivendell folk - especially not of Glorfindel.

Legolas seems very rustic, and knows little of the land. So it makes sense for him to defer to someone who does know.

(And I'm not make any jokes about Orlando and maps.)

Or, as Sam says at Parth Galen, he is simply terrified.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.