Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So close now - U.S. BOFA steelbook update (and RANDOM T&T appreciation)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 8:29pm

Post #26 of 206 (4569 views)
Shortcut
     Love that art [In reply to]  

I'm thinking we'll need to offer several levels in this series of courses, but will need to think about the best structure. Obviously, you can jump straight into the more advanced content, but some might be overwhelmed if immediately faced with "the wonder of the chiaroscuro of that sable sugar-streaked rippling soft mane." Shocked

Perhaps we should just proceed chronologically through the movies and experience it as nature intended. Or perhaps categorized by THUD-worthiness, starting out slow to let folks ease into it, providing plenty of pillows and soft surfaces of course. Smile

Suggestions are welcome as we create this exciting new offering. Stay tuned for developments.

Are those fangirls? We'd better get ready to give them examples worthy of study.

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 8:30pm

Post #27 of 206 (4570 views)
Shortcut
     No worries RD [In reply to]  

We've got you on the list as a charter member of the first inaugural class.

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 8:32pm

Post #28 of 206 (4564 views)
Shortcut
     On it [In reply to]  

And yes, we'll have plenty of opportunities for hands-on experience.

#OneLastTime

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 8:40pm

Post #29 of 206 (4563 views)
Shortcut
     Who is first in line? [In reply to]  

First tho, evidently we have to push Philippa Boyens out of the way. The nerve!Wink

Tho admittedly seems she took very good care of the Mountain King - Richard Armitage has even thanked
he for his linesHeart - so I suppose we will just have to TOLERATE scenes like this.Cool

She's TOUCHING THE HAIR. AND the LEATHER. O.M.G. Just color me green with ENVY.Tongue

I can't stand it.CrazyCrazyCrazy

It is going to be a LOOOONG couple of weeks. CrazyCool

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 8:55pm

Post #30 of 206 (4561 views)
Shortcut
     Who's green with envy again? [In reply to]  

'Cuz in picture #2, it looks like Bofur. (Poor thing, no wonder he wears a hat.) Everyone wants Thorin's hair. Everyone.
Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 9:02pm

Post #31 of 206 (4549 views)
Shortcut
     I'm taking this as a promise, Avandel... [In reply to]  

...that we will get some nice, stout, hairy, image-larded threads from you after the BotFA release...

AngelicHeartAngelicWink

You are soooooo good at them! Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 9:11pm

Post #32 of 206 (4544 views)
Shortcut
     Oh that's so sweet [In reply to]  

That pic with Philippa looks like it may have been right after he shot his last scene lying on the ice. UnsureHeart

As for the rest, we might need to put some oxygen tanks on order to have handy during lectures.

#OneLastTime

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 9:12pm

Post #33 of 206 (4540 views)
Shortcut
     I can manage our O2 needs. No problem. // [In reply to]  

In Reply To

As for the rest, we might need to put some oxygen tanks on order to have handy during lectures.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 9:15pm

Post #34 of 206 (4538 views)
Shortcut
     Sweet, I was hoping you'd be able to hook us up // [In reply to]  

#OneLastTime

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 9:20pm

Post #35 of 206 (4542 views)
Shortcut
     OMG!!! [In reply to]  

I Heart this thread - so much fun at the office should be illegal! (It's not like I'm doing any work anyway, soooo....)

Bring out my favorite hair-pic!EvilHeartHeartHeart

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 9:27pm

Post #36 of 206 (4542 views)
Shortcut
     Speaking of Kili... [In reply to]  

Get a load of this hot pic of Poldark's hair:

It's not just Dwarves that have hot hair - honestly, as much as I love Thorin his nephew can definitely snag my attention! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm old enough to be Aidan's Mom, LOL!Tongue Yeah, definitely a "Thorin" in the making, squeee!!!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 9:29pm

Post #37 of 206 (4543 views)
Shortcut
     Did I miss the Drop/Add period? [In reply to]  

I've got plenty of room in my schedule for this class ... and any pre-reqs that I need to take.

Let's see, so far I've registered for:

Sparkhouse 101
North and South 214/215
MI-5/Spooks 200 level series

I've already taken the one elective - VoD 150

I hear The Crucible course is only available at universities outside the US. I hope they rectify that soon.

Cool

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 9:44pm

Post #38 of 206 (4537 views)
Shortcut
     Registration is still open [In reply to]  

That's a solid schedule you've got there, although we do strongly suggest RH 101/201/301 as well - some excellent moments in hair acting especially in the 3rd course (complete with bonus smirking as well). Students outside the US and Canada are encouraged to attend The Crucible courses available to them, and we plan to host online offerings for the US/Canada students soon (any day now I'm sure).

Thank you for your interest, your registration is in process and you'll be receiving your confirmation email shortly.

#OneLastTime

Ilmatar
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 9:54pm

Post #39 of 206 (4533 views)
Shortcut
     Count me in [In reply to]  

I think I need that class...! Angelic

I suggest proceeding in chronological order, since THUD-worthiness is a matter of taste (or is it? Can it be universally measured? I'm just a novice but I'm sure the class will have all the answers!)

Heart
Attachments: 3988592 (Custom).jpg (41.2 KB)

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:05pm

Post #40 of 206 (4532 views)
Shortcut
     I have viewing and study suggestions! [In reply to]  

Well, starting with the OBVIOUS - the disks of your choice:

Along with some cleaner - you don't want some stray piece of LINT ruining everythingShocked!

Next, the setting. DARKNESS and PRIVACY are a must, to view the GLORY in all
its SCINTILLATING BEAUTYTongue. I suggest blackout curtains:

Along with, of course, your preference of comfortable seating/sprawling
arrangements. If you want to be really weird about itCrazy, and totally IMMERSE
yourself, how about a COCOON chair?

There seems to be a Middle Earth model:

This still looks like Dr. Seuss to me, but maybe it's a Mirkwood spore?

Of course, comfortable attire is CRITICAL. As an example, snuggies and
such are available in a wide variety of patterns and styles, like this
evening gown model:

Now, for the snacks of your choice (admittedly far cheaper
than a theater - or at least you don't have to deal with
smuggling stuff inAngelic...).

Many of us tho, will be too slack-jawed and OVERWHELMED to eatTongue. For safety's sake,
sport teeth guards are available in multiple colors (wish I had had these for the marathon
views in theaters!)

For beverages, in keeping with the SPIRIT Laugh of the film:

(If you INSIST on watching the B-roll footage at the end, which is pretty
traumatizing, you may want several bottlesEvil...)

Finally, of course, don't forget about being able to hug
the DurinHeart of your choice while "studying" (or elf, as it were...)

LaughLaughLaugh

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 10:05pm

Post #41 of 206 (4519 views)
Shortcut
     You're in! [In reply to]  

You do bring up an interesting point - how exactly should we measure THUD-worthiness? Indeed, can it be measured at all? Perhaps each participant will need to develop their own scale and identify their own tipping point. I think this will be an excellent topic of discussion. And hours of enjoyable homework, I'm sure. Cool

#OneLastTime

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:07pm

Post #42 of 206 (4523 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm. I'm thinking a defibrillator might not be a bad call *fills out order sheet* // [In reply to]  

gliido
Bree

Mar 3 2015, 10:08pm

Post #43 of 206 (4516 views)
Shortcut
     I'm sorry. [In reply to]  

I'm sorry. I didn't think about other countries and regions.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 10:13pm

Post #44 of 206 (4513 views)
Shortcut
     Good thinkin' [In reply to]  

And we really should have a full first aid kit available to attend to all the bumps and bruises in case someone misses a pillow. And the smelling salts.

#OneLastTime

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:49pm

Post #45 of 206 (4501 views)
Shortcut
     Great pics as usual, Avandel! [In reply to]  

And now I'm looking at Bofur's expression too...Laugh (Is this guy for real??)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:49pm

Post #46 of 206 (4503 views)
Shortcut
     Happiness at work is important. Right? // [In reply to]  

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:57pm

Post #47 of 206 (4503 views)
Shortcut
     *snigger* [In reply to]  

Wolfanita's "The Biggest Fan". LOL.LaughLaughLaugh. So THIS is why Dwalin always seems to be behind Thorin,
or off to Thorin's side a bit? OMG!Shocked

As as far as hair envy tho, there's possibly one denizen of Middle Earth who is comfortable with himself:

Winter silk or wine-dark rippling satin? My heart is given to the evening - but hafta admit, BOFA
is CRAMMED with all kinds of hirsute goodness.WinkCoolTongue

HeartHeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 12:15am

Post #48 of 206 (4497 views)
Shortcut
     *grins* perhaps as part of class [In reply to]  

Seeing as I am convinced from simply filming Thorin from the back at Bag End, that in viewing that first footage,
that PJ privately EXULTED. Because he KNEW, then, that something magical had happened, and entire
cast and crew could now rest easy. Laugh

Because PJ had feared dealing with the Hobbit - how well he knew of the complexities of filming a major, and highly
anticipated release! But all had simply resolved itself, distilled into the PUREST of essences. Yes, it's true.
The real heart and soul of the Hobbit films is THORIN'S HAIR.Cool

Oh, you can talk to me about Martin Freeman's stellar performance, even that of the dwarves, the creativity, the quotable
lines, CGI eagles, and so on, but the man himself, Richard Armitage, had his own scenes stolen by HIS OWN HAIR.Shocked

Why, this iconic scene wouldn't even exist, except for the billowing nightshadow cloud of scintillating espresso
velvet streaming in the wind, streaked with STARLIGHT.

Of course, that was all well and good through AUJ and DOS. But by DOS, PJ began to worry that the domination
of Thorin's hair was beginning to affect the cast moraleWink, so in one of those brainstorming sessions, it was brilliantly
decided that Thorin would wear his grandfather's crown for at least part of BOFA, giving the audience a chance
to focus on the other characters for a bit.

However, this was only partially successful, as the luxuriant darkling tresses simply caressed themselves around
Richard Armitage's face, providing a satin-y exquisite frame for RA's sea-blue eyes and luminescent skin.
In any event, it was always known that the epic last moments of BOFA would be dominated by THE HAIR -
unbound, free, and with matchless EPICNESS.TongueCool

No-one is going to tell me this hair ended up like this by accident.

We'll be discussing all of this in Kim's advanced class, but once again we see an entire
shot wholly focused on this silky mane of riverine sable.

So, perhaps, after I have spent some time ADJUSTING to actually owning this footage,
and gotten over the shock, I might submit some additional imagery for class
discussion.Cool

Heart

(This post was edited by Avandel on Mar 4 2015, 12:22am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 4 2015, 12:24am

Post #49 of 206 (4486 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, I'm not really bothered about 4K resolution... [In reply to]  

1080p (Full HD) is a beautiful resolution and perfectly fine for my fifty inch TV. I have no reason to want to upgrade for resolution anytime soon. - Although passive 3D does look much better in 4K, so there's that one benefit, but not worth the price.

However more colours and more accurate colour replication along with the potential for higher frame-rates is pretty exciting.

I saw The Amazing Spider-man in a higher colour gamut and it's something you can't quite put your finger on, it just looks more natural - less digitally artificial, more like the cinema version. It's still not quite worth the upgrade just yet, but as these technologies get better it will start getting more interesting. And then I'll have to re-purchase The Hobbit. Tongue

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 12:39am

Post #50 of 206 (4498 views)
Shortcut
     Put me down for one! [In reply to]  

I just remember the scene where Thorin recovers *his soul* and there's that glorious mane, fanned by the breeze,
and Thorin in gold armor and his eyes clear to that azure blue....HeartHeartHeart

*waves smoke away from the computer*

and, er, all this on blu-ray in crisp, clean definition *gasps for breath* at the thought.TongueTongueTongue

And then there's the so-called "Messiah shot" of Thorin walking from the light....and me with that leather
fetish glove of mine...

AND the open necklines of the Durin outfits, which just goes to show, less can be so much more. WinkCoolEvil

HeartTongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.