Shortcut
Might of Thor rises again in Iceland. Can't Post

http://www.theguardian.com/...nnectinbg-pagan-past

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 12:01am

Post #2 of 8 (531 views)
Shortcut
It does seem "what's the point" if the head guy is just doing it for [In reply to] Can't Post

symbolic reasons.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 3 2015, 12:47am

Post #3 of 8 (522 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

There have always been people who find a symbolic or metaphorical slant on religion to be the most meaningful.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 1:31am

Post #4 of 8 (515 views)
Shortcut
True, but to me, that seems to be more of personal approach than [In reply to] Can't Post

what he is doing. It seems to be more of a costumed play ritual than anything with real meaning to him. His description as an "antiquarian" implies it is more of a hobby than having meaning to him.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 3 2015, 1:54am

Post #5 of 8 (510 views)
Shortcut
more like a re-enactment? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been re-reading the first book of Julian May's Pliocene Exile series, and at the start there's a lot about how popular re-enactments of people's cultural traditions had become in the late 21st century - prophetic?

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 2:05am

Post #6 of 8 (507 views)
Shortcut
Well, going to the article [In reply to] Can't Post

"But thanks to his position as high priest of Iceland’s neo-pagan Ásatrúarfélagið or Asatru Association, he has an authority formally recognised by the Icelandic state to conduct marriages, name children and bury the dead."

Business opportunity?

In the 12 years since he took over its leadership, membership of the Ásatrúarfélagið, which the Icelandic government recognises as a formal state religion,"

A tax break for a "religion" he does not actually believe in?
I guess I am skeptical of his motives.

"Hilmarsson says he doesn’t pray to the Norse gods or worship them in any recognisable sense, nor does he believe in the literal truth of the texts "

"“So yes, it’s partly a ‘romantiquarianism,’” he says of his faith."

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
If he had started an Eru worship I would be all in! ;)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2015, 2:43am

Post #7 of 8 (507 views)
Shortcut
I don't doubt his sincerity [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible to believe in the meaning of the stories and to use them as a spiritual guide without taking them literally. Also, there was another article a few months ago about a road construction project in Iceland that had to be changed to go around a site where some people believe the "hidden folk" (elves) live.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27907358

These beliefs, or at least the stories, seem to be really deeply ingrained in Iceland's culture, and reading the articles about the temple and the road construction, I got the impression - and it's just a vague impression that I can't back up with any quotes or anything - that the people being interviewed didn't want to sound too "crazy" to outsiders and were maybe hedging a little bit.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 4:29pm

Post #8 of 8 (481 views)
Shortcut
that's my take on it too [In reply to] Can't Post

It's likely they didn't want to sound like "nutty neopagans" or something. Religious tolerance isn't practiced everywhere.

There is also the thing that in the past stories were listened to not for their scientific and historical facts, but for the deep truths the stories reveal.

So you immerse yourself in the ritual, in the story, and learn something from it. It doesn't mean that you don't believe that lightning is created by electrical charges...

I think it's a wonderful thing to bring back this bit of the ancient culture in a substantial form.

As a living history buff (having done a lot of Viking re-enactment) and a Unitarian Universalist (we listen to everybody) I applaud these guys for doing their bit to bring back a piece of a fantastic mythic cycle.

Also...Thor. Just Thor. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.