Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So close now - U.S. BOFA steelbook update (and RANDOM T&T appreciation)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 1 2015, 9:33pm

Post #1 of 206 (7585 views)
Shortcut
     So close now - U.S. BOFA steelbook update (and RANDOM T&T appreciation)  

Original post on U.S. BOFA releases:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=829728;search_string=BOFA%20steelbook;#829728

So, in a couple of days, the tech-savvy digital downloaders will be able to LOL
stand atop their no doubt multiple firewall-protected wallsShocked, and view the lesser
hungry rabble with pityWink; occasionally throwing the rest of us hungrily waiting a detail
bone or two - as BOFA plays in the background on a 72" high-def surround-sound theater system in glorious 3D.LaughWink

And I oft recall watching BOFA in a theater, as usual madly frustratedCrazy, thinking
"Wait! Let's just FREEZE this scene, 'coz I just want to STARETongue, to drink
it in until the image is impressed on my brain like some strobe effect
from 2001 A Space Odyssey, or the shock you get at an *unexpected bill*.Shocked

So for us in the U.S. in a holding patternCool, so far - as I like some collectible
stuff (tho I haven't been expecting much re this TE - tho how many Erebor
key replicas do I need?LaughLaugh)

- lo, the time is upon [some] of us in the U.S. to think about which U.S. version of the TE will you buy?

Personally, I'm not going for any TE box set, unless there is some kind of outstanding
collectible with it (because that's what I would be buying it for.)

I'm not going for this "exclusive" from Target:

You get a Bard and Bain mini-fig.

I haven't gotten any of the LEGO
stuff, and if I did I would start w. Bilbo and company.

There's something too adorableTongue about Thorin having a
gold bath *SQUEE*. Tongue

http://miss-merriweather.deviantart.com/art/Oakenchilled-Chapter-3-514867556

On the other hand, tho I usually don't give much thought to
case height and so on (tho the lenticular Thorin box for DOS is something
I am fond ofHeart) - I think I'll go for this BB Steelbook exclusiveHeart. Seeing as how
the Laketown opening is one of my favorite sequences, and who doesn't love
Smaug in all his black-tongued glory?

Mmm, I like this. Tho from what I saw of the actual disk art ZZZZZZZZZZ.Unimpressed E.g., there isn't any to speak of.Unsure At least in the U.S.Unimpressed

Still of course, especially for us enthrall'dCrazy, it's what's under the hood that counts. And in this case, as all of us with an appreciation for beauty knowCool, that certain key characters, who already were the cause of many a replaced remote, were thoughtfully brought to new, and unmatchable heights of male pulchritude in BOFA.TongueCoolWink

Just think - especially for the T&T fans - in 3 short weeks we will be able
to sit in the comfort of our own homes, able to stare glassy-eyed and unmoving
for HOURS at our respective idolsTongue, in stunning detail. Oh, the joy of
the replay button!Cool

Yep, March madness for sureCool. ANTICI.................PATION *gasp for air*Cool
will nicely fill up time, as will actual viewing, and we also have
more books, Vikings, and GOT coming out in April.Tongue

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Mar 1 2015, 10:04pm

Post #2 of 206 (7089 views)
Shortcut
     Im Getting the Digital Version [In reply to]  

Ive waited long enough for BOFA to be released so I could watch it at home. SmileWink

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 1 2015, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 206 (7074 views)
Shortcut
     3D boxed set for me... [In reply to]  

since I can always sell the extra copies on eBay (I have the 3D combo pack for DoS, and the 2-disc DVD for AUJ). I'm not keen on any of the steelbooks, and I like how they have a different character for all the 3D versions (Gandalf for AUJ, Thorin for DoS, and Bilbo for BoFA), since I find having Bilbo on the cover of all three (like the Special Edition TE DVDs do) kind of boring. Even the Extended Edition DVDs have better covers. With that logic, you might as well have Sauron on the cover of all three LotR movies. Whether I buy the boxed set of the Extended Editions depends on whether I can afford to upgrade to Blu-ray by then (otherwise, I'll be buying the DVD, since unlike the theatrical editions, with the Extended Edition, I have to buy the one I can actually watch). This way, I'll be able to do a "marathon" of my own in the comfort of my own home, since there was no Hobbit Trilogy marathon screening in my neck of the woods (I guess we're too small, since the city I live in is only a mid-sized city, not a major metropolis). I'll probably be buying it at Walmart, since they have the cheapest price, and I haven't used up the $50.00 gift card I got for Christmas (there's still about $16.00 left on it).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Mar 1 2015, 10:38pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 1 2015, 11:19pm

Post #4 of 206 (7049 views)
Shortcut
     versions [In reply to]  

the only editions i feel worth getting are the EE 3d blurays, optimal quality, 3d, and all the extras , i feel these are the only ones worth buying. untill they wear out and i have to get the boxset. the only rebuy i would consider is if they brought out a HFR version. done.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 12:11am

Post #5 of 206 (7035 views)
Shortcut
     March madness indeed [In reply to]  

It's gonna be a loooooong month! I'll also be waiting for the physical media release, and am just about to put in my pre-order thru Amazon for the BR/DVD/Digital combo pack. None of the ones with collectibles like the Bard/Bain Lego really appeal, so I'll just stick with this one (although I do really like the look of the cover of that steelbook one).

Thorin in a gold bath - there's just something so wrong, yet so right about that! Tongue

So, in a couple of days, the tech-savvy digital downloaders will be able to LOL
stand atop their no doubt multiple firewall-protected wallsShocked, and view the lesser
hungry rabble with pityWink; occasionally throwing the rest of us hungrily waiting a detail
bone or two - as BOFA plays in the background on a 72" high-def surround-sound theater system in glorious 3D.LaughWink

I hope they will be kind, and throw us a few bones.

Just think - especially for the T&T fans - in 3 short weeks we will be able
to sit in the comfort of our own homes, able to stare glassy-eyed and unmoving
for HOURS at our respective idolsTongue, in stunning detail. Oh, the joy of
the replay button!Cool

Yup, I'll be there. With bells on. Cool

#OneLastTime

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 8:46pm

Post #6 of 206 (6883 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, my, that Miss Meriweather [In reply to]  

That Lego Thorin and the Beardles was about the funniest thing I've ever seen, thanks for sharing that!

Yes, I can't wait for the BOTFA TE to come out, probably the 2-pack DVD is what I'll get, save the Blu-Ray for the EE. I bought the TE versions of AUJ and DOS (wow, what's with all the initials!) and gave them to my brother after I got the EE's. May sound dumb but I'm NOT patient, and I CAN'T wait for the EE's. Now, I just need to figure out how to rip the DVD to my computer and use editing software to remove a certain tragic ending, then I'll be all set!

Oh, HECK YEAH!!!!HeartHeartHeart

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 9:15pm

Post #7 of 206 (6862 views)
Shortcut
     I know! The Cavern Club--priceless! // [In reply to]  

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 1:12am

Post #8 of 206 (6833 views)
Shortcut
     Stay here if you will...and rock! XD // [In reply to]  

#OneLastTime

Dwarewien
Rohan

Mar 3 2015, 2:11am

Post #9 of 206 (6833 views)
Shortcut
     I have that picture on a T-shirt... [In reply to]  

minus the pink background (thank goodness, since I find that color nauseating). Haven't worn it yet, but it has a lot of blues in it, and really brings out the blue in my eyes. I found it on eBay (like I do most hard to find items).

Just think folks, come a months time, and we'll be able to do a "marathon" of our own in the comfort of our own homes (or at least I will, since I'm planning on getting the 3D boxed set of all three movies).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 2:25am

Post #10 of 206 (6835 views)
Shortcut
     Yes - fortunately fandom is both creative and supportive to PJ! [In reply to]  

You are most welcome for the link!

Now, I just need to figure out how to rip the DVD to my computer and use editing software to remove a certain tragic ending, then I'll be all set!

But of courseSmile - seeing as it was a SHOCKING and MOST UNFORTUNATE and APPALLING mistakeShocked that certain footage was released to theaters. But we, the caring and compassionate fan community (albeit crazedCrazy) have opened our arms wide to support PJ & co. We KNOW what happened. ShockedAngelic

Poor PJ! Working 20-hour days, 7 days a week, for months, and nag, nag, nag, nag, from the studio, manufacturers, book publishers, EVEN, even, tragically, the fansFrown, wanting their fix. It never would have happened, in the old days, or someone would have caught the mixed films.Wink

But it is just so easy with digital files. We saw in the Appendices, those little cartridges (so easy to get mixed up), PJ can't watch EVERYTHING, and then it was the premiere, and too late. Footage that was meant for the B-roll and the BOFA EE Appendices wound up in theatersWink. It was left to the fan community to support PJ, and as we see from Miss Merriweather's vignette, and from all over the 'net, to PJ & co. know that we UNDERSTANDHeart, and are happy to wait for the actual ending footage.Cool

Of course, even the experimental ending of BOFA that was released simply showcased the extraordinary talents of the actors involved.Tongue So it wasn't a LOSS, per se, not by any means. No indeed.

Not with those breathtaking closeupsTongue of a face like the SINS of ANGELS and a voice like
Amedei Porcelana chocolate. Just a few frames of this made me grateful for that my super-size, heavily iced, artificially sweetened cola was close at hand (and not to be indelicate, but that's one thing home viewing has over theaters, a convenient pause button so it doesn't matter how much garbage you consume when viewing a film.Evil)

Tho I hafta say I AM looking forward to finding out - and this is a closely guarded secretLaugh - which of the dwarves - or is it Bilbo? - who comes up with the idea of the dwarves faking their deathsLaugh. And will MAGIC be involved? I'd like to see some magic from Thranduil, tho hopefully Thorin won't get irritated again and threaten to "put the next one between Thranduil's eyes" - we know how fiesty dwarves are!Cool

And so, in the meantime I wholly applaud these home-grown efforts to help PJ in the interim of the release of the professional footage - and besides, all knowledge is good. It never hurts to learn new software - I myself have been exploring the possibilities with 3D software, and look forward to the day that I can create animated portrait characters. Perhaps, following in the great footsteps of WETA (tho I would not dare to compare myself to beings of that caliber) one day my fully dimensional digital characters can be added to flesh out these grass-roots efforts in the River of Denial - why, I could even, in theory, helpfully extend Thranduil's amazing fighting sequenceCool!

Plus, it's universally agreed, as far as I can tell, that there was certainly not enough screen time for our golden heir, so that is something I would hope to rectifyTongue.

So much to look forward to! Hours of frame-by-frame views of sea-blue eyes and silky hair like a falling breeze, or as dark and soft as summer twilight....

So I'm going for the BR myself. I can fully understand folks waiting for the EE, and so on, but for me, there's just so much happiness to be had, and fall is such a long way off. Re all the copies of DVDs and BRs I end up with - well, for one thing, I feel better about having backups.Cool

Original art by spader7

(This post was edited by Avandel on Mar 3 2015, 2:26am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 2:41am

Post #11 of 206 (6828 views)
Shortcut
     Then again [In reply to]  

As an aside, there's a lot to be said for a character so charismatic, that even their toys are #Majestic:

And yah know, I so much look forward to being able to freeze-frame and LUXURIATE in more great moments in
hair acting.TongueTongueTongue

Like when the dwarves charge from Erebor. Cool

Srsly, I LOVE this. Really original, beautifully shot/edited IMOHeart. An it will be mine, all mine......CoolWink

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 3 2015, 2:56am

Post #12 of 206 (6822 views)
Shortcut
     Ultra HD Blu-rays are coming this Christmas [In reply to]  

But apparently they won't be supporting 3D. They will support 60fps. But The Hobbit was 48fps, so we'll just have to see how this all plays out in December.

Hopefully the standards will change and we'll get Ultra HD (4K resolution and more colours) with HFR 3D and home Dolby Atmos sound. THAT I would upgrade for!

Until then I'm just waiting for the EE Blu-ray. Doubt I'd watch the TE again anyway.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 3:07am

Post #13 of 206 (6837 views)
Shortcut
     Great Moments in Hair Acting [In reply to]  

OK, there's a class we need to set up pronto.

Let's see, the syllabus could include:

1) The early years (a little short, but the potential is there)

2) The braids break out on their own

3) The breezes are unleashed

Oh yeah, we've got lots of material to work with here, and an embarrassment of riches to come this month. Angelic

#OneLastTime

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 3 2015, 3:15am

Post #14 of 206 (6819 views)
Shortcut
     I think that is the best image of Fili! [In reply to]  

But not pic of Kili? Frown

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 4:22am

Post #15 of 206 (6816 views)
Shortcut
     Well, we can't skip Kili, can we? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
But not pic of Kili? Frown

Let me fix that:

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 12:13pm

Post #16 of 206 (6774 views)
Shortcut
     Any idea when BoFA will hit Netflix? // [In reply to]  

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 3 2015, 1:07pm

Post #17 of 206 (6773 views)
Shortcut
     April 21 // [In reply to]  

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

gliido
Bree

Mar 3 2015, 5:13pm

Post #18 of 206 (6718 views)
Shortcut
     Netflix? [In reply to]  

Netflix? My guess is never. The Middle Earth films have never been offered on Netflix (with the exception of FOTR years ago when Netflix had an agreement with Starz for their catalog).

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 3 2015, 6:25pm

Post #19 of 206 (6706 views)
Shortcut
     I mean, they actually are sporadically on Netflix in the Netherlands, Canada, UK, Brazil. [In reply to]  

I don't see US Netflix getting them anytime soon, though.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 6:36pm

Post #20 of 206 (6698 views)
Shortcut
     If the resolution gets any higher [In reply to]  

Well, I wouldn't want to be an actor/actress. Not without some 'shopping e.g. airbrushing. Er.Shocked

On the other hand, there's something cool about having a res so high, it's immersive in your own home - love my IMAX but it can be a bit fuzzy in a theater. The down side being having to buy another box of technology and new copies of everything. Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 7:35pm

Post #21 of 206 (6683 views)
Shortcut
     But too much is not enough! [In reply to]  

Oh yeah, we've got lots of material to work with here, and an embarrassment of riches to come this month. Angelic

I need the ADVANCED COURSETongue. And I'm ready! I've spent so much time just sucking my breath in, over the wonder of
the
chiaroscuro of that sable sugar-streaked rippling soft mane since AUJ and DOSTongue:

a few seconds of jaw dropping footage LOL

and those eyes, so like backlit blue topaz of the finest quality:

(but of course with a FIRE and DEPTH and SOUL that no mere stone could ever hope to match.....)

that I am now able to go without oxygen for minutes at time - like a diving seal and like thatCool.
Which came in handy when the BOFA trailers were released. Too bad tho there wasn't always
a CARPET or rug around *THUD*Tongue

*SQUQQQQQQUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!* The DVD/BR should come with a warning labelLaugh. Only the most highly trained and
experienced of the Thorinistas are going to be able to bear the beautiful pain of the RAPTURE of being able to freeze
shots like this on a big screen TV in HIGH DEFINITION.Shocked

JUST LOOK AT THISTongue - the rippling CASCADE of nightshadow waves, the fierce azure eyes, the fair skin luminous even through
the GRUNGE of battle. THIS is a GAWD *snuggle*Heart.

Not to mention the golden heirHeart, so close by (let's borrow a DOS image to
remind ourselves why Fili is also an up-and-coming candidate for Middle Earth's best hair -
he's coming along so nicely with those rich honey-butterscotch GOLD-kissed locks)

That reminds me - so the tech savvy can, as of today, fire up their Apple stuff and gleefully download. But.
For those of us on hold, it DOES give me more preparation time. I need to PREPARE, e.g., make sure
there are plenty of rug pads and pillows, clear the calender, extra remote, extra batteries for the remote,
and so on - NOTHING must disturb the glorious in-home viewing experience, once it beginsCool.

And finally, of course, art continues to celebrate the MIRACLE that the Hobbit characters are.
Evankart on Deviant Art being a favorite of mine. A skilled artist who not only can exquisitely
capture a likeness, but absolutely knows what is important. HAIR. And lots of it.Cool

Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 7:45pm

Post #22 of 206 (6679 views)
Shortcut
     Of course not! [In reply to]  

Beautiful Kili forgotten? NEVER.

LOL, I remember fussing that Kili was yelling at Thorin re the trailer, and we
end up with one of the most beautiful moments in the Hobbit films.

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 7:53pm

Post #23 of 206 (6671 views)
Shortcut
     Where do I register for this course?!?! // [In reply to]  

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 7:56pm

Post #24 of 206 (6678 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, set that class up, Prof. Kim! ASAP. [In reply to]  

and keep in mind I'm a tactile learner.

jf300
The Shire

Mar 3 2015, 8:09pm

Post #25 of 206 (6660 views)
Shortcut
     In the UK... [In reply to]  

...Desolation is on there and An Unexpected Journey was only recently taken off after being there for quite a while.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.