The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I will be Avenged

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 2 2015, 10:56pm

Post #1 of 8 (1556 views)
Shortcut
I will be Avenged Can't Post

Anyone else feel like Thorin,sounded like a bratty chlild when he said "If anyone shoud find it, and keep the Arkenstone from me,I will be avenged" with hunched shoulders and loooking down!with both hands folded behind his back.,like he cant find his faourite toy.Funny moment and great acting by RA imo.

Do y8u thik that is was he was going for,in his performance for this scene.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Mar 2 2015, 10:57pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 11:41pm

Post #2 of 8 (1446 views)
Shortcut
I didn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just thought he sounded like an angry dwarf.

Do bratty children often say things like "I will be avenged"? Sounds rather advanced....

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 11:51pm

Post #3 of 8 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Disagree w. your interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone else feel like Thorin,sounded like a bratty chlild when he said "If anyone shoud find it, and keep the Arkenstone from me,I will be avenged" with hunched shoulders and loooking down!with both hands folded behind his back.,like he cant find his faourite toy.Funny moment and great acting by RA imo.

Do y8u thik that is was he was going for,in his performance for this scene.

Hardly a "bratty child" IMO and as far as I know Thorin's hands are clenched at his sides, not behind his back when he walks away. I'll have to look again, but I think lacing your hands behind your back isn't like Thorin, and would very hard considering the thickness of the costume/mantle. Thorin's angry, obsessive, and it's a scene showing him spiralling downward, segueing into Bilbo finding Balin in tears. Not to mention Thorin's eyes don't look sane, but kind of glassy. I find it disturbing, in the sense that it's another scene where Thorin is "not-self"; the Thorin we know would never make statements like "Am I not the king?", or be paranoid about one of his company hiding the stone, or openly threatening his company.

So no, I didn't see anything childish or funny here. Also MF's amazing acting, that he able to get across that Bilbo is keeping his face very still at this point, eyes straight ahead, e.g. as Bilbo has the stone.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2015, 1:50am

Post #4 of 8 (1387 views)
Shortcut
I thought he sounded dangerous [In reply to] Can't Post

The reaction of the others around him was pretty great, too - very nervous and silent, which was a big change from the previous movies where everyone felt free to speak their minds. I thought it really helped to emphasize the change in Thorin.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 2:58am

Post #5 of 8 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Great point, thanks for posting! [In reply to] Can't Post

The reaction of the others around him was pretty great, too - very nervous and silent, which was a big change from the previous movies where everyone felt free to speak their minds. I thought it really helped to emphasize the change in Thorin.

Very insightful, especially when I think about the tumbling dwarves shouting at each other at Bag End, and the AUJ EE at Rivendell. As an aside, I've also thought, really, what a terrible homecoming of sorts for Fili and Kili, tho the movie doesn't explore itFrown. Getting confronted with Thorin acting in such a bizarre way.Frown

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 3 2015, 3:20am

Post #6 of 8 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Not bratty... [In reply to] Can't Post

But angry, and anxious, and running out of patience, straight from the book:

" 'That stone of all the treasure I name unto myself, and I will be avenged on anyone who finds it and withholds it.'
Bilbo heard these words and he grew afraid, wondering what would happen, if the stone was found - wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 8 (1173 views)
Shortcut
That was in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hilarious!!! To me I don't think he sounded quite as malevolent as he does in other scenes, like when he drags Bilbo down the hall saying "Someone has betrayed me!" Even when he gives Bilbo the mithreal shirt there's an implied threat in his tone when he says "It's a GIFT!" That kind of subtleness is one of Richard Armitage's great acting strengths - to progressively get more and more bent. He really went all out!EvilHeartHeartHeart

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 8 (956 views)
Shortcut
yaaaaaaaaaaaaassssss [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage...

nuff said.

he's not just a pretty face...

good insights all!

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.