Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2015, 10:25pm

Post #26 of 53 (891 views)
Shortcut
I just returned from "What We Do in the Shadows" [In reply to] Can't Post

starring Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords. It was brilliantly funny. The movie is a mockumentary about a flat of vampires, following their activities as they prepare for the Masquerade Ball. So many funny lines, especially when they encounter a pack of werewolves ("Werewolves, not swearwolves") let by the ultra-funny Rhys Darby. Many of these films lose their edge toward the end, over-using stereotypes and sight gags, but this one was spot-on until the end.

My local paper gave it 3.5/4 stars, which is an accomplishment for a comedy movie. I can't wait for the DVD/BluRay.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 12:30am

Post #27 of 53 (868 views)
Shortcut
How I Live Now with Saoirse Ronan [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a site search and it appears no one else has reviewed/discussed this movie here. hmmm...

I was thinking on how to describe. It hits a lot of notes. Different sorts of notes. I think it does well with all of them and it didn't, oddly enough, feel disjointed to me.

This is a young adult movie but man, it pulls no punches at all. It's like a more bucolic version of Children of Men.

I think the actors do a really good job with their roles. The plot didn't pull any (or many) tropes and wasn't predictable in ways I've grown to anticipate.

So okay, if you want some idea what this movie is about, I like how io9 put it.
If you dropped a nuclear bomb on Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, you would end up with How I Live Now. This exceptionally violent story drags a collection of country-mice kids through hell and back, at the outbreak of World War 3.

After watching John Wick, I wouldn't call this exceptionally violent, however. And I don't think it's any more violent than any other movie covering the same story would be. I could perhaps compare it to "Tomorrow, When the War Began" because both are aimed at young adults, both are about young adults, and both are about invading forces. (The plots beyond that are not much similar, however).

Yes, How I Live Now is perhaps 'more violent' than 'Tomorrow...' but it's like I said, it pulls no punches. It shows things as one could anticipate them happening. Nothing is gratuitous or salacious.

This director as also done The Last King of Scotland (which I haven't seen) and Touching the Void (which I've seen bits of).

Recommended except for anyone who needs heads up on X happens and they never watch movies where X happens. X happens.

It's available on streaming Netflix for those that have it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 12:53am

Post #28 of 53 (887 views)
Shortcut
Sidney Chambers and Sidney Crosby [In reply to] Can't Post

Finished rewatching the dishy vicar show Grantchester, wrapping up with episode 6, of course. Now wondering why Hildegard asked about the name of the woman from London--to make sure it wasn't "Amanda"?? Also, what will be the fate of her piano, and will Mrs. M condone the expenditure of funds to have it delivered to wherever it is Hildegard actually lives (was she still living in Cambridge)?

Fortunately Sidney Crosby has more than six episodes per season--can't wait for NHL playoff hockey. I love the upped level of intensity. I hope the Penguins can keep their winning edge this year--last year's playoff performance was pretty lackluster. Tongue (Also assuming the Pens can manage to finish the season without another breakout of mumps!! Shocked)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 5:12am

Post #29 of 53 (851 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, Kim (no spoilers in this post) [In reply to] Can't Post

I made an effort to keep spoilers out of my first post about Broadchurch, but I see there are some in the conversation between me and DanielLB.
I am so used to being last to watch anything I normally don't even need to consider spoilers!
I hated it when I was really into LOST, but I couldn't go near the boards when it was being discussed because we were so behind here. By the time I came along wanting to talk about it everyone had moved on.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 7:03am

Post #30 of 53 (859 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more comments about it here if the UK and NZ have seen it already (and perhaps Australia?). Ah well, we'll soon catch up. I'm very glad I didn't run across any spoilers for Downton Abbey, which we just finished tonight, so thanks everyone for your restraint there.

I can only imagine your frustration at not being able to discuss Lost! I loved that show and discussed it incessantly when it was on.

#OneLastTime

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 7:04am

Post #31 of 53 (853 views)
Shortcut
I will add my sorry too. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first typed my reply to Starling, I did have "(spoiler)" written into the subject heading. I removed it as I presumed if Starling had watched it in NZ, then it must have been shown in the US too. Apologies!

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 7:09am

Post #32 of 53 (846 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
I removed it as I presumed if Starling had watched it in NZ, then it must have been shown in the US too.

That made me laugh! Normally so true.Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 7:11am

Post #33 of 53 (853 views)
Shortcut
You will be proud. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hated it when I was really into LOST, but I couldn't go near the boards when it was being discussed because we were so behind here.

My other half is now hooked with LOST. I've been meaning to re-watch the series for months now. Since Broadchurch has finished, there's nothing on TV which really interests us. So after the little one has gone to bed, I stick on LOST. Tonight's episode will be Raised by Another. I am surprised how much I had forgotten. The last couple of episodes dragged for her (she has no interest in Sawyer, Sayid or Charlie), but now Rousseau has been introduced it has added more mystery to the storyline for her.

It's so difficult not giving anything away!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 2 2015, 7:12am)

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 7:17am

Post #34 of 53 (844 views)
Shortcut
The most annoying thing happened to me [In reply to] Can't Post

For the first series of Broadchurch we were months behind the UK, and I somehow managed to avoid all spoilers, even though most people here had already watched it. People in NZ are tired of waiting for things so they find ways to watch them, both legal and illegal.

For the second series of Broadchurch, TVNZ played it only one or two episodes behind the UK. I managed again to avoid all spoilers until the day before the final screened here on Sunday, when I read the outcome in the headline of an online news story. Grrr.

There have been a few lively discussions about LOST around here. You can join my fanclub if you like. The numbers are bad. Wink

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 7:17am

Post #35 of 53 (844 views)
Shortcut
No worries Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

There are too many shows to keep track of which ones come out when and where!

#OneLastTime

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 7:21am

Post #36 of 53 (847 views)
Shortcut
Oh goody! [In reply to] Can't Post

I realised I had never asked you about whether you got into it or not. I think you said you had lost interest around Season 2 or 3? I am starting to think I am due for another rewatch. The more I rewatch the fonder I grow of some of the characters, including Charlie. I love the way he develops.
I will be curious about whether your partner becomes more interested in some of those characters as she continues watching.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 7:21am

Post #37 of 53 (841 views)
Shortcut
Wait, what? [In reply to] Can't Post

she has no interest in Sawyer, Sayid or Charlie

Wha? Shocked I sure hope that changes as she'll be in for a lot of them! They became some of the best characters!

#OneLastTime

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 7:25am

Post #38 of 53 (845 views)
Shortcut
Ridiculous and highly disturbing NZ TV trivia [In reply to] Can't Post

We are two years behind with Corry. Two Years!!!!!!!!
I have never before used the tomato face on TORn, nor bold, nor excessive exclamation marks, but I feel all are appropriate here. Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 7:26am

Post #39 of 53 (837 views)
Shortcut
I loved LOST. [In reply to] Can't Post

I stuck through with it right until the end, and then that's when I was a little disappointed. But on reflection, and re-watching it now with someone that knows nothing about it, the end does seem bittersweet.

I suspect that she will loose interest before we even get to Season 6, but there are enough shocks and cliffhangers that should keep her interested.

She loves Locke. Which is good, since he drives much of the storyline!

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 7:28am

Post #40 of 53 (827 views)
Shortcut
Don't let her lose interest [In reply to] Can't Post

You want her to see Locke become UnLocked. Shocked

Moahunter
Rohan

Mar 2 2015, 7:30am

Post #41 of 53 (834 views)
Shortcut
Did you know they had to raise the money for a US release? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...-fundraiser-succeeds

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 7:35am

Post #42 of 53 (842 views)
Shortcut
Once Upon a Time, Downton Abbey season finale *spoilers* :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

OUAT: interesting beginning to get us back into the rest of the season. #evilemma? What's the secret between Snow, Charming, Ursula and Cruella? And who is the Author?

DA: Awwww. Tears. Well, that was a pretty satisfying ending. I hope they're done with Bates and Anna in peril - I just saw an interesting theory in the after show that Mr. Green could be the valet who convinced Baxter to steal the jewels (I can't remember if she was already at Downton when he was there). Carson and Mrs. Hughes - awwwww, finally! And Violet did have a past! Shocked As does Lord Sinderby - not so high and mighty now, are we?

#OneLastTime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 8:07am

Post #43 of 53 (828 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed DA as well :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much ditto everything you said.

I also enjoy when Thomas uses his powers for good. Well, maybe not good, but getting even with someone who deserves it.EvilLaugh

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 2 2015, 9:48am

Post #44 of 53 (839 views)
Shortcut
Ents? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought those things looked like a cross between Transforners and Stone Giants! LOL

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 2 2015, 2:45pm

Post #45 of 53 (839 views)
Shortcut
I was one of the contributors [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very glad they raised the funds and it's showing in multiple cities.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 3:06pm

Post #46 of 53 (841 views)
Shortcut
Yes - it did make a change to see them going to Thomas... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to sort something out, didn't it?

I've just embarked on a 'Downton Abbey from the beginning' marathon 'cos there are so few decent things to watch.

Over the weekend I watched a Julian Fellowes film, "Time to Time" and was surprised to recognise Allen Leech/Tom Branson in it. Maggie Smith is as well, but I knew that.

Once I've done the Downton marathon it'll probably be time for a 'Once Upon a Time' marathon.....

Annael
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:40pm

Post #47 of 53 (852 views)
Shortcut
Downton (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, once again the writers resolve all the loose ends with the help of a lot of deus ex machina (Mrs. Clark) and highly unlikely plot twists. (Why wouldn't the police re-arrest Anna now that Bates is proven innocent? The throwaway line "the witness is having doubts" is sheer laziness.)

As for Carson & Mrs. Hughes, that storyline was taken straight from Hudson & Mrs. Bridges of "Upstairs Downstairs."

I do like seeing Thomas demonstrate some loyalty to the family.

I still like the characters and the acting - even the characters I dislike, like Mary, are well-acted - but the writing isn't worthy of them. I realize it's a soap opera, but still, one expects better.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 2 2015, 3:44pm)

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 10:31pm

Post #48 of 53 (802 views)
Shortcut
Soap opera writing and Maggie Smith news [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as someone gets amnesia, or an evil twin shows up, I'm outta there! But seriously, I do hear you on the writing, and hope that some things like dragging out the Bates/Anna storyline will end, and some fresh stories introduced.

Side note: I saw this article that Maggie Smith has decided that next season will be her last. Kind of sad to read her reason why.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...abbey_n_6783272.html

#OneLastTime

Kim
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 10:41pm

Post #49 of 53 (819 views)
Shortcut
I seem to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

them going to Thomas for something like this before, but I can't remember specifics. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of all the twisty shenanigans and games, although the end result was (mostly) positive.

Sounds like you've got a couple of good marathons lined up - enjoy! After reading Daniel and Starling's comments above, I'm feeling a hankering for a Lost marathon.

Did you like Time to Time? I vaguely remember hearing about that when it came out. I see Hugh Bonneville is in it too.

#OneLastTime

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 11:39pm

Post #50 of 53 (794 views)
Shortcut
Time to Time.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I do like it. It's well made - excellent cast - compelling story.

But there's also a hint of regret for me because the book it's based on is an old friend from childhood - The Chimneys of Green Knowe. It's the second book in Lucy M. Boston's Green Knowe series. My very favourite was always the first, The Children of Green Knowe, which was turned into an excellent BBC series years ago. The hint of regret is that for the film two principal characters were changed very much and the present day part of the story set into a completely different context. It works for the film - works beautifully. If I didn't know the book I'd say I loved the film. As it is there's just that little voice in my head saying "Oh, but...." The way they've written the present-day story means that the earlier events from the first book couldn't possibly have happened. Doesn't matter a scrap in the film, I just miss them.

You're right about Hugh Bonneville, I'd forgotten that he's another cross-over.

You're right about Downton too, I think. It is pretty predictable. But in a way for me that's part of it's charm. It's a sort of comfort viewing. And then there are those glorious moments when it seems to be sending itself up: "I'm just going upstairs to take off my hat" and "What is a weekend?"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.