About eagles and hobbits...

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Mar 2 2015, 1:27pm

Post #1 of 7 (1481 views)
Shortcut
About eagles and hobbits... Can't Post

I saw an interesting part in this story:

This is proven by the appearance of the Eagles as a sign of divine grace, a recognition of their willingness to give up everything, all the appearance of victory, in pursuit of the 'correct' values. In both trilogies, it is Hobbits and their unique courage and humility, temerity and love of home which convince both Aragorn and Thorin of what's really important.

I think this is interesting, because it gives a fantastic explanation for eagles arriving. They always arrive when someone does something totally selfless...when someone is ready to sacrifice himself to save ''the good'' / or redeems to the ''good''.

Near the Carrock, Bilbo sacrifices himself to save Thorin. At the Battle of the Five Armies, Thorin redeems and prefers song and cheer over gold. On Zirakzigil (and in Moria) Gandalf sacrificed himself to keep the ring(bearer) save. And at the Black Gate the army sacrificed itself to the same end.

Sooo, the eagles only arrive and help, when someone needs help in a true, honest and selfless cause...

Thoughts?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 2 2015, 5:28pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 3:31pm

Post #2 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Out of the Frying-pan... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Near the Carrock, Bilbo sacrifices himself to save Thorin. At the Battle of the Five Armies, Thorin redeems and prefers song and cheer over gold. On Zirakzigil (and in Moria) Gandalf sacrificed himself to keep the ring(bearer) save. And at the Black Gate the army sacrificed itself to the same end.

Sooo, the eagles only arrive and help, when someone needs help in a true, honest and selfless cause...

Thoughts?

I think the argument holds true for the the same scene from the book as well, although the circumstances are different. There, it is Gandalf, not Bilbo, who attempts to sacrifice himself, ready to (literally) fall upon the wargs and goblins to save the others in the company.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 7 (1425 views)
Shortcut
I certainly think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that in the books, the Eagles are that Divine Grace that comes in to save the day when the heroes have done all they could. We all like to think that Good always trumps Evil, but in our world, that is not always the case. In Middle-Earth, however, such cherished notions can flourish. Sometimes our 'best' just isn't enough, and we fail. Sometimes in Middle-Earth, (and more dramatically so in RL), there is someone or something there to swoop in and make things right. In many ways, it is a reward for the self-sacrifice demonstrated by the hero in an impossible situation. That ignorance transforms hopelessness into virtue, and a 'higher power' transforms the circumstances.

I can remember a time where I had been cornered by a group of bullies. They had wanted me to join their band of thugs and vandalise some abandoned property. All I had to do was go along with their suggestion, and they would leave me alone. If I balked, they threatened gross bodily harm. Even as I stood, frightened out of my wits, I managed to refuse. The leader took one step towards me, and at that instant, three police officers stepped from the shadows to arrest the vandals. The detective later explained that he had waited to see if he had three or four arrests to make and was impressed by my decision. I walked home, and they took a ride to the police station.

I see strong parallels in their treatment in both books and film, and it it one of the many moments in the films that I see Tolkien's simplicity out-shine the million dollar production lights.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Annael
Immortal

Mar 4 2015, 4:28pm

Post #4 of 7 (1332 views)
Shortcut
in the Heroic Quest story [In reply to] Can't Post

traditionally, "magical help" is only allowed after the hero has accomplished the task; he must do it on his own, which is why Gandalf had to be taken out of the way, to prove that he is the right one for the job (and usually, the job of being King afterwards, which in a way Sam does take on - Frodo actually fails in the Quest, he doesn't destroy the Ring). Manwe wouldn't let the Eagles anywhere near the Ring, but once it's destroyed, they are allowed to help. The "magical return" to safety across the treacherous terrain that had to be negotiated on the way to accomplishing the deed is a common theme of Heroic Quest stories from around the world.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 4 2015, 8:35pm

Post #5 of 7 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Wow, what a great story! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 7:58pm

Post #6 of 7 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Not really... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure my knees were knocking and my adolescent voice jumped through about 5 octaves or so in the course of the conversation.Crazy.. Not exactly the brave story it might seem to be...Tongue

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 5 2015, 10:03pm

Post #7 of 7 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Courage means [In reply to] Can't Post

you go ahead
When your heart is feeling faint.
So you can be really brave
Only when you really ain't.

--Piet Hein

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.