Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What symbolic icon will BOFA SEE artwork feature?

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 2 2015, 9:05am

Post #1 of 20 (3337 views)
Shortcut
What symbolic icon will BOFA SEE artwork feature? Can't Post

As you remember, I did such a poll last year. And actually, some of the ideas of it did end up in the final design of DOS SEE (I prefer to use SEE, for Special Extended Edition, like in LOTR times).

What the poll is about, is about the symbolic icon which is used on the Hobbit: SEE box art. On the UK DVD (and similar) box it is placed on the front side of the cover. On the US (and similar) box, it is placed on the back. The symbolic icon is, well, summing up the film in one strong image.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey had an acorn - a symbol from Bilbo's brass buttons.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug hat an image of the Arkenstone from the Hidden Door.

Now the big question is, what icon should the packaging SEE of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies contain? Something small and strong, somehow summing up the film.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 9:37am

Post #2 of 20 (3257 views)
Shortcut
I'd suggest.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Black Arrow, but it's an odd shape.

Maybe a stylized raven? Or the round door of Bag End?

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 2 2015, 9:40am

Post #3 of 20 (3254 views)
Shortcut
My own suggestion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...an armored boar, like the one Dain rode into battle.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 9:48am

Post #4 of 20 (3251 views)
Shortcut
I am going for ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The BB which appears on the Red Book of Westmarch and on Bilbo's handkerchief right at the end. I think it's a nice motif.

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 2 2015, 9:51am

Post #5 of 20 (3248 views)
Shortcut
BB is nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

...however, it has already been used on the backside of the UK DVD of AUJ (where the US had the acorn).

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 2 2015, 12:09pm

Post #6 of 20 (3205 views)
Shortcut
A not so serious idea [In reply to] Can't Post

A not so serious idea:

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 1:51pm

Post #7 of 20 (3156 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Dormouse's suggestion of a Raven... [In reply to] Can't Post

but you never know...it could be Bilbo's handkerchief! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

joec_34
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 2:21pm

Post #8 of 20 (3139 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Crown [In reply to] Can't Post

I would suggest Thorin's crown. Although similar to the arkenstone, it is subtley different. The focus is on Thorin's short tenure ruling under erebor: while the arkenstone more symbolizes Erebor under dwarven rule. I think that the crown is appropriate, given the tragic focus of the film.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

joec_34
Rivendell

Mar 2 2015, 2:23pm

Post #9 of 20 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Smaug falling [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be nice to see a small emblem of Smaug falling, with an arrow in his chest. It seems unlikely to happen, but it could look cool.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 3:01pm

Post #10 of 20 (3110 views)
Shortcut
This! // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 3:40pm

Post #11 of 20 (3101 views)
Shortcut
I think it'll be a raven motif. Purple with decorative gold bits [In reply to] Can't Post

http://conceptartworld.com/..._Armour_Raven_03.jpg

Ravens adorn Thror's, Thrain's and Thorin's armour.

I think the whole box will look similar to Thorin's shield:
http://www.empireonline.com/...ndex/hw800/87163.jpg

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 2 2015, 3:44pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 4:01pm

Post #12 of 20 (3086 views)
Shortcut
Very likely the raven imagery. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps using the raven icon from the Lake-town tapestry.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 2 2015, 4:02pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 4:01pm

Post #13 of 20 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

the crown features two ravens meeting (see the link to the Empire cover that Quacking Troll posted) which is why I think we will get a raven motif of some kind on the SEE cover...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 4:17pm

Post #14 of 20 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Just made a big discovery (for me at least) [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought different dwarf families were represented with different animals, but never looked at that tapestry before.

The runes under the raven say Erebor (Because of the ravens around the mountain)

The runes under the boar say Iron Hills (Dain rides a boar)

The runes under the ram say "Ered Mithrin" (the battle rams in BofA)

Is there a scene missing in BoFA where reinforcements come from Ered Mithrin? Am I being really slow and everyone figured this out ages ago?

Who leads these rams into Battle? Fundin? And do they perhaps come by request of Balin, Dwalin Oin or Gloin? What if that missing scene with Balin and Bilbo mentions Fundin and the Ered Mithrin dwarves, and that's why it was cut? Crazy

BTW, that tapestry has lots of potential motifs for the EE. Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 2 2015, 4:23pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 20 (3054 views)
Shortcut
Yesah, I think there was initial speculation that the chariot scene [In reply to] Can't Post

might be Balin going to Ered Mithrin for re-inforcements because of the Ram on the tapestry signifying his people...

..of course since the Weta Chronicles was published it has become clearer that the chariot is used to ferry Thorin, Dwalin and the boys to Ravenhill.

¯ Victoria Monfort

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 4:32pm

Post #16 of 20 (3045 views)
Shortcut
Rams of the Grey Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

That detail of the tapestry is curious. As far as I know, there should have been no major dwarven settlements in the Ered Mithrin by the time of the Battle of Five Armies. Most of Durin's Folk had relocated there around TA 2200, but dragons had driven them out of the mountains by 2589. By the time of the Quest of Erebor, the Grey Mountains were positively infested with "goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description," as Gandalf told Bilbo.

We could take it to mean that many of the Dwarves of the Ered Mithrin relocated (with their livestock) to the Iron Hills.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 2 2015, 4:33pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 4:33pm

Post #17 of 20 (3044 views)
Shortcut
I'm currently reading up on this... Ered Mithrin, in the books, is deserted [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves of Ered Mithrin fled the Grey Mountains because of attacks from cold drakes. They migrated to the Iron Hills. So likely the Ered Mithrin dwarves arrive at the same time as Dain's army, but maybe strategically hold back for a cavalry assault? I don't know why else we don't see them until later.

Even so, I think they could potentially be led by Balin's father, purely so that his name in FotR means has a little more meaning (they do love tying everything they can together). It'd be kinda cool to briefly see Fundin at the head of a hoard of charging rams Smile

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 2 2015, 4:35pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 2 2015, 4:41pm

Post #18 of 20 (3035 views)
Shortcut
Fundin died at Azanulbizar and Groin is also dead by BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

Likely the only leader is Dain and we'll probably see the cavalry charge shortly after Thorin joins the battle, when Bilbo and Gandalf are observing from Dale - So Gandalf can give us all a commentary on what's going on.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Mar 2 2015, 4:41pm)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 2 2015, 8:12pm

Post #19 of 20 (2924 views)
Shortcut
smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

How about the classic Smaug illustration above Lonely Mountain?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2015, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 20 (2639 views)
Shortcut
ravens... I vote for ravens..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I brought my own pencil....

(found on tumblr...)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.