The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Does anyone else feel like Nori and Dori looked like cosplay

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 2 2015, 5:43am

Post #1 of 6 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone else feel like Nori and Dori looked like cosplay Can't Post

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 8:03am

Post #2 of 6 (1028 views)
Shortcut
No. They're actors in costumes they wouldn't normally wear..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... as is everyone else on screen: that goes without saying. In that sense every character in every single drama that isn't set in the present day and in ordinary life has a lot in common with cosplayers. It's the difference that matters. In the films they're characters in a story: it's their faces and expressions and what they say and do that I look at.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Mar 2 2015, 4:38pm

Post #3 of 6 (897 views)
Shortcut
Not to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

They look dwarves, slightly eccentric looking dwarves. They look as "real" in these movies as any of the other dwarves rather than fans dressing up as dwarves to me.

Yes, my username is terrible.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 5:45pm

Post #4 of 6 (875 views)
Shortcut
Eh, they looked fine to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the dwarves were a tad bit on the goofy side, design-wise, but after a little getting used to i was fine with most of them. My favorites, visually, were the more "typical" looking dwarves as established in LotR (Balin, Dwalin, Bifur, Oin and Gloin). Some of the dwarves that strayed a bit from the "typical" dwarf look, like Bofur and Bombur, worked quite well i thought, giving them a bit of comedic flair. Fili made a fine looking young dwarf, and Thorin, while too young looking for the story, worked well enough. The only one i didn't like was Kili, who seemed not a dwarf at all.

The whole thing of giving all the dwarves distinct personalities seemed to me a bit of a bust, and didn't really pay off in the films all that much. I think i would have been just fine with the dwarves just being a confused rabble, apart from Balin (obviously) and maybe Dwalin, and Fili and Kili being a goofy young dwarf duo (with the spotlight being on Fili, as should have been done in the first place). It just seems like they went to a lot of time and effort and not much came of it other than a bunch of teen-age gross-out jokes.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2015, 7:02pm

Post #5 of 6 (837 views)
Shortcut
I totally loved the Dwarf designs [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am an artist who is very very Elf-centric.

So good job WETA, you made me love these characters.

I really feel that we are waiting to see the real film with the extended DVD.

Like all that character development will indeed pay off.

Even if there is not as much as we'd like, we know who these guys are by the third film, whether we see more character development there or not.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 7:57pm

Post #6 of 6 (630 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea what the term "cosplay" meant [In reply to] Can't Post

"...a performance art in which participants called cosplayers wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play and a broader use of the term "cosplay" applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage."

Well, if I understand, yes, of course they are costumed actors in a film. What is the question?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.