Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ Discussion, Ch. 12: Flight to the Ford; Pt. 1, THE DELL to THE LAST BRIDGE

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 4:54am

Post #1 of 22 (4783 views)
Shortcut
**‘The Fellowship of the Ring’ Discussion, Ch. 12: Flight to the Ford; Pt. 1, THE DELL to THE LAST BRIDGE Can't Post

Welcome all, to this final chapter of Book I of our LOTR discussion.

When I mentioned (way back when the world was young and there was more green and less noise) that I had no experience with these ‘Fellowship of the Room’ discussions CuriousG jestingly(?) suggested, “You could start by posing the question, ‘Why didn't the Eagles fly Frodo to the ford?"’
A legitimate double entendre question, and I can only answer by reminding CuriousG that upon a time an Eagle made a test flight over Eriador, and when he swooped the Shire he saw a Hobbit stoop for a stone. No Great Eagle since has ventured west of the Misty Mountains. They now prefer to flock-around on the eastern side.

Rules: There seem to be lots or none at all - so my intent is to simply walk through this chapter page by page (with a rare necessary foray off-chapter). I’m sure everyone will feel free to make any salient comments, or ask any questions, or make any corrections, as much of my discussion and questioning may seem a bit sophomoric or trivial to the more knowledgeable than I. Now ONWARD!
---------------------------------------------
Elizabeth has informed us in Chapter 11 that the Company had been accosted by five Nazgûl in the dell beneath Amon Sûl; and that Frodo struck at the feet of the Witch-king, heard a “shrill cry”, and was apparently wounded as “he felt a pain like a dart of poisoned ice pierce his left shoulder”. And as he swooned he slipped the Ring from his finger.
It’s still the night of Thursday, October the 6th, 3018, and our present chapter opens unbroken from Chapter 11 as Frodo comes to clutching the Ring and asks, “What has happened? Where is the pale king?”
1. His companions saw only vague dark shapes coming towards them. Did they see the “pale king”? Why did Frodo call him the “pale king”? As the Witch-king was de-cloaked and Frodo had the Ring on did this combination allow him to “see” some physical essence of the enemy that the others were unable to see?

Strider left for a good long while and Sam was beginning again to have doubts about him.
2. After all they have been through, and all that Sam had learned, why would he again have suspicions of Strider? Was it irresponsible of Strider to leave the Hobbits alone at this precarious time?

At Strider’s return he found the Nazgûl cloak on the ground, with Frodo’s slash above the lower hem. Strider says, ”The only hurt that it did to his enemy, I fear; for it is unharmed,. . .”.
3. How did Strider know that ‘it’ (the Nazgûl-king) was unharmed? (Recall the “shrill cry”.)

We now learn that Frodo carries the broken point of the Morgul-knife in his shoulder.
4. Does it seem strange that Frodo would immediately fall unconscious from a stab in the shoulder? Was the “Black Breath” involved here, (as it had apparently caused Merry to collapse on the road in Bree)?

Then Strider sang over the hilt in a strange tongue, and bathed Frodo’s shoulder with athelas.
5. Thoughts on Strider’s singing ritual? Was this ritual used to degrade the toxicity of the knife-point and enhance the healing power of athelas? Or did athelas simply have a calming essence and a lessening of pain effect, not actual healing?
Would athelas have any healing or calming powers in the hands of the commoner?
”The hands of the King are the hands of a healer.” said Ioreth after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Did Strider have any special healing powers before becoming King?

The company now headed south across the Road in full daylight, as it was the quickest way to reach a wild bushy country and some concealment, and Strider’s plan was to take a shortcut by skirting a great loop of the Road. As they crossed they heard two cries far away.
6. Was this shortcut wise? Does this remind you of Pippin’s warning back in SirDennis’ Ch. 4, “Short cuts make long delays.”?
Did two of the Nazgûl see or sense them crossing the road? What would their cries convey? Do you think they were just coded cries of enlightenment or information (“hoot twice like a barn-owl”) or did they use a form of Black Speech?

After a few days traveling eastwardly in a cheerless wild land south of the Road Strider led the Hobbits back toward the Road. And on Thursday morning, Oct. 13th they came to the Last Bridge where Strider found a pale-green beryl stone. He took the discovery as a sign that they may safely cross.
7. Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why? How did finding this stone make you feel? Did the discovery of the green beryl push your mind forward to Bilbo’s Song of Eärendil where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo put in a “green stone”? *Takes a quick sneak-dip into Book II*

Next: Here be Trolls!?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 4:20pm

Post #2 of 22 (4709 views)
Shortcut
I'll be first to board the Flight to the Ford! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for leading this, Bracegirdle!

In Reply To
1. His companions saw only vague dark shapes coming towards them. Did they see the “pale king”? Why did Frodo call him the “pale king”? As the Witch-king was de-cloaked and Frodo had the Ring on did this combination allow him to “see” some physical essence of the enemy that the others were unable to see?

I think that, by putting on the Ring, Frodo enters the "wraith world". He can now see the Riders properly, and they can see him. I thought Peter Jackson's film did this bit rather well.

In Reply To
2. After all they have been through, and all that Sam had learned, why would he again have suspicions of Strider? Was it irresponsible of Strider to leave the Hobbits alone at this precarious time?

Well, Strider's decision to go to Weathertop has been disastrous. The he was absent during the start of the attack, and has gone off again. I can see why that would be suspicious. Sam seems quickly to be talked round, though.

In Reply To
3. How did Strider know that ‘it’ (the Nazgûl-king) was unharmed? (Recall the “shrill cry”.)

We've actually been discussing this a bit prematurely ( http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=840726#840726 ) To summarize, I think we think that Strider thinks that Frodo's blade is intact, so can't have wounded the Witch King. But the name Elbereth was "more deadly" and may have caused the WK to cry out - in terror, we think.

In Reply To
4. Does it seem strange that Frodo would immediately fall unconscious from a stab in the shoulder? Was the “Black Breath” involved here, (as it had apparently caused Merry to collapse on the road in Bree)?

Possibly. Or maybe, while it's probably bad enough to be stabbed with a regular knife, a morghul knife causes more shock?

In Reply To
5. Thoughts on Strider’s singing ritual? Was this ritual used to degrade the toxicity of the knife-point and enhance the healing power of athelas? Or did athelas simply have a calming essence and a lessening of pain effect, not actual healing?
”The hands of the King are the hands of a healer.” said Ioreth after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Did Strider have any special healing powers before becoming King?

I think that Aragorn has his healing powers because of who he is, and because of who he is, he is the rightful King. So I assume Ioreth's saying refers to a tradition that Kings are healers (as opposed to someone gaining healing powers when they become King).

In Letter #155, Tolkien writes to his proof-reader,answering soem questions abotu LOTR, including soem abotu the nature of magic. Magic in this story is not achieved by ‘lore’ or spells (Tolkien says): it is an inherent power, and so can’t be possessed by Men. Aragorn is an exception to prove the rule here: his healing might be part magical, and is part not, but then it is supposed to be being reported to us by the hobbits “who have very little notions of philosophy and science”. And , besides, Aragorn has elvish (and Maiar) ancestors from whom he could have inherited an inherent or inborn power.

In Reply To
6. Was this shortcut wise? Does this remind you of Pippin’s warning back in SirDennis’ Ch. 4, “Short cuts make long delays.”?
Did two of the Nazgûl see or sense them crossing the road? What would their cries convey? Do you think they were just coded cries of enlightenment or information (“hoot twice like a barn-owl”) or did they use a form of Black Speech?

Well, it continues to make sense for our Heroes to stay off the road and be difficult to follow. And Strider's short cuts or log, don't go wrong (unless he goes to Weathertop). I dunno about the Rider's communications: As readers of LOTR only, we don't know what the Black Riders are up to (a fact that gives the chapter a lot of its suspense). Maybe they are content merely to keep track of where Frodo is for now, & wait while he sickens? Perhaps "there were words in that cry", or maybe if they are keeping up contact with out heroes, very simple signalling would suffice for now?

Anyway - they really just want Frodo to sign for a parcel, honest:

(better version here: http://www.deviantart.com/...er-Company-330154171 )

In Reply To
7. Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why? How did finding this stone make you feel? Did the discovery of the green beryl push your mind forward to Bilbo’s Song of Eärendil where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo put in a “green stone”?

On my first reading, I saw this as the sign of some mysterious help to be explained later (which is as it works out). It certainty helps get our heroes across a very obvious ambush point! I suppose I just inferred that elves like beryls?

The Beryl - an unexpected source of help for our heroes:

(from http://jayextee.deviantart.com/...-the-Peril-199335108

Baffled? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_the_Peril)

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 2 2015, 7:20pm

Post #3 of 22 (4689 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your input NoWiz.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We've actually been discussing this a bit prematurely ( http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=840726#840726 ) To summarize, I think we think that Strider thinks that Frodo's blade is intact, so can't have wounded the Witch King. But the name Elbereth was "more deadly" and may have caused the WK to cry out - in terror, we think.

On my post #19 (over there) I took a “do-over” on this “shrill cry”, as it makes much more sense that the Witch King’s cry was, as you say, caused by fear (and surprise) that Frodo cried the name of “Elbereth” and he had a powerful Barrow-blade.

As for my original interpretation of this passage. . . Nevermind! My mind had always assumed it (the cry) was one of pain, not fear, and I’m happy to be put to rights. Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 2 2015, 10:15pm

Post #4 of 22 (4691 views)
Shortcut
"Very wisely, puppies! " [In reply to] Can't Post

The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel.
-Ezekiel 1:16

1. His companions saw only vague dark shapes coming towards them. Did they see the “pale king”?

Sure did, except they couldn’t tell he was pale. Or a king.

Why did Frodo call him the “pale king”?

“White” is a good adjective, but “pale” is a bad adjective.

(Which would mean Saruman is actually The Pale Wizard?)

As the Witch-king was de-cloaked and Frodo had the Ring on did this combination allow him to “see” some physical essence of the enemy that the others were unable to see?

Or some spiritual essence.

Strider left for a good long while and Sam was beginning again to have doubts about him.
2. After all they have been through, and all that Sam had learned, why would he again have suspicions of Strider?

Look where Strider has brought them.

Was it irresponsible of Strider to leave the Hobbits alone at this precarious time?

Seems to be more a habit.

For some time Frodo and Sam managed to keep up with the others; but Aragorn was leading them at a great pace, and after a while they lagged behind. They had eaten nothing since the early morning. Sam's cut was burning like fire, and his head felt light. In spite of the shining sun the wind seemed chill after the warm darkness of Moria. He shivered. Frodo felt every step more painful and he gasped for breath.
At last Legolas turned, and seeing them now far behind, he spoke to Aragorn. The others halted, and Aragorn ran back, calling to Boromir to come with him.
'I am sorry, Frodo! ' he cried, full of concern. `So much has happened this day and we have such need of haste, that I have forgotten that you were hurt; and Sam too.'

- Lothlórien

At Strider’s return he found the Nazgûl cloak on the ground, with Frodo’s slash above the lower hem. Strider says, ”The only hurt that it did to his enemy, I fear; for it is unharmed,. . .”.

Well, 'all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King' and Sting is still intact.

We now learn that Frodo carries the broken point of the Morgul-knife in his shoulder.
4. Does it seem strange that Frodo would immediately fall unconscious from a stab in the shoulder?

Severe pain and/or extreme emotional distress can prompt blood vessels to constrict, restrict blood flow (and thus oxygen) to the brain, and so cause unconsciousness.

2nd Lieutenant Tolkien would be well aware of this from his experience in the trenches..

Was the “Black Breath” involved here, (as it had apparently caused Merry to collapse on the road in Bree)?

But then why didn’t it affect the others who were nearby?

Then Strider sang over the hilt in a strange tongue, and bathed Frodo’s shoulder with athelas.
5. Thoughts on Strider’s singing ritual?

Odysseus was first to attack, his long spear raised in his great hand, eager to strike, but the boar was too swift for him, charging sidelong, catching him above the knee, and tearing a long gash in the flesh with its tusk, though it failed to reach the bone. Odysseus’ blow stabbed it deep in the right shoulder, and the point of the gleaming spear went clean through, bringing the boar to earth with a grunt, and ending its life. Autolycus’ brave sons bound up peerless, godlike Odysseus’ wound, staunching the flow of dark blood with an incantation, then busied themselves over the carcass, and headed straight back to their noble father’s house.
-Homer, The Odyssey

Somehow this sounds so familiar….

Was this ritual used to degrade the toxicity of the knife-point and enhance the healing power of athelas?

Seemed to have worked for Odysseus, and boar tusks are really nasty.

Or did athelas simply have a calming essence and a lessening of pain effect, not actual healing?

Strider did say it was “a healing plant”, and he’s never lied before, except when he did.

Probably, but for really potent painkillers you have to get a lore-master’s prescription.

Training is everything. Obviously the Lore-master didn’t have any.

The company now headed south across the Road in full daylight, as it was the quickest way to reach a wild bushy country and some concealment, and Strider’s plan was to take a shortcut by skirting a great loop of the Road. As they crossed they heard two cries far away.
6. Was this shortcut wise?

That’s why they take down the rope barriers at the end of each loop of the serpentine waiting lines at restaurants, banks, and Disneyland if there’s not much traffic. It’s faster.

Does this remind you of Pippin’s warning back in SirDennis’ Ch. 4, “Short cuts make long delays.”?

And the Euler–Lagrange equation says the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so are you going to trust Leon and Joe-Louie or Pippin?

Did two of the Nazgûl see or sense them crossing the road?

They’re blind as bats. They probably can’t even see the road.

What would their cries convey?

I’m thinking like dogs barking:

“Hey! I’m barking over here! Are you barking over there? I hear you barking! Do you hear me barking? Is anyone else barking? Do you hear anyone else barking? Hey, who threw that old shoe?”

Do you think they were just coded cries of enlightenment or information (“hoot twice like a barn-owl”) or did they use a form of Black Speech?

I’m thinking that instead of the shrill cries of the physical world, in the spirit world they hear something like ”I say old bean, hate to be a bother, do you happen to see any hobbits over your way?” “Terribly sorry old hat, but not a tittle. Isn’t it just about teatime?” “Oh, rather! I hear they have some excellent Barrow Fog tea at The Forsaken Inn, and the scones are positively scrumptious!”

After a few days traveling eastwardly in a cheerless wild land south of the Road Strider led the Hobbits back toward the Road. And on Thursday morning, Oct. 13th they came to the Last Bridge where Strider found a pale-green beryl stone. He took the discovery as a sign that they may safely cross.
7. Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why?

I’m thinking it has to do with the characteristic sea-green color.

Also it’s naturally faceted in hexagonal prisms so there’s no need to find a dwarven gem-cutter.

How did finding this stone make you feel?

“Not idly do the jewels of Elf Lords fall.”

Did the discovery of the green beryl push your mind forward to Bilbo’s Song of Eärendil where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo put in a “green stone”?

The sea is important.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 2 2015, 10:38pm

Post #5 of 22 (4683 views)
Shortcut
Sam the Suspicious [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for leading this chapter, BG!

OK, so the Eagles were smart enough to avoid any country that had anti-aircrat abilities--they were smart birds, but probably not as skilled at using commas as humans, so we still have that one over them.

It is striking that Strider *defended* the hobbits against the Nazgul, and somehow Sam's twisted little mind makes him think that Strider could be in cahoots with them. Wouldn't he have joined the attack instead? But Sam is in the grip of suspicion and only seems to trust Elves at face value. And he was right to distrust another Man, Boromir. His distrust of Gollum, though justified, still worked aginst him. Sam really didn't trust anyone outside of Hobbiton and Bywater. It's remarkable that Faramir ultimately gained his trust.

Strider, songs, and healilng: I think songs for Tolkien can be for pleasure only but also can carry some magic with them, and he leaves the working of magic undefined, so *somehow* Strider's singing helped Frodo heal (a teeny bit). Luthien seemed to heal Beren just by singing to him.

And yes, I think Frodo is a definite victim of the Black Breath here. Why do you suppose the other hobbits weren't affected just by proximity? Or Strider too, for that matter? Does it really only focus on one person at a time?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 12:41am

Post #6 of 22 (4669 views)
Shortcut
Ooops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, 'all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King' and Sting is still intact.

See my “out” above…

You didn’t really say Sting? WinkWink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 3 2015, 1:07am

Post #7 of 22 (4661 views)
Shortcut
Thank 'ee Curious [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And yes, I think Frodo is a definite victim of the Black Breath here. Why do you suppose the other hobbits weren't affected just by proximity? Or Strider too, for that matter? Does it really only focus on one person at a time?

Possible instances of the Black Breath include:

Merry – ’…something came behind me and I . . . I fell over.’
Frodo – Touched the Witch King (or his robe). Stabbed by the Witch King.
Eowyn and Merry – Touched the Witch King.

Faramir? Not sure.
Are there other instances?

But does it seem that possibly more than proximity is involved and actual touching may be a valid answer with the Black Breath?

Well, have we not all had a good whiffing of a bad case of the dreaded halitosis and nearly been knocked to the ground?? FrownFrown

Just supposing…

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2015, 1:10am

Post #8 of 22 (4659 views)
Shortcut
Sam didn't trust Smeagol either. [In reply to] Can't Post

Until some time when he got used to Smeagol. And then that was the one time he shouldn't have trusted a guide!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 3 2015, 10:41pm

Post #9 of 22 (4612 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Brace, for this week's lead off! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It’s still the night of Thursday, October the 6th, 3018, and our present chapter opens unbroken from Chapter 11 as Frodo comes to clutching the Ring and asks, “What has happened? Where is the pale king?”

I am combining my answers here as I think they have a thematic connection. I believe Frodo can see the Witch King while wearing the Ring because that brings him in close, indeed pulls him into, the world of spirit where the bodiless, 'lifeless' (as in, bereft of hroa) Wraiths dwell, and where the Ring itself - also technically without life - exists.

I think the context of spirit also relates to Strider's singing while healing. The hroa and fea exist in a balance: but in Elves the rationale JRRT gives for their longevity and skill in healing wounds is their ability to exercise the innate powers of the fea - roughly, the spirit, in controlling the hroa, roughly the body, the stuff of Arda - and thus preserve the united life of the two. The athelas likely has physical properties; but the deeper healing will be from the spirit/fea, from marshaling the will to preserve life and resist death and disease, and in this case likely subversion of Frodo's fea by the W-K's spell originating in the blade. So the plant plus the song is a two-pronged approach, and that song goes with the King as the healer of the land (rather a Fisher King ideal) and thus of its people as his birthright, if he chooses to use it. So I think the bloodline of the House of Elendil, and then Strider's formative years with the Elves do both give him an innate ability to heal, and then the practical learning of touching and managing the fea from the Elves make him a formidable healer before the crowning. After that, as rightful and crowned King, I think JRRT intended there to be an even greater connection between Aragron's healing power and the entire land. (I think JRRT was a Royalist at the end of it all. I think that sort of regal mysticism felt right to him.)

Sam is later described as a small, fierce creature ready to defend its mate from a tower of horn and hide...we see that here. That his Mr. Frodo has actually been hurt sends Sam into a tizzy of protectiveness.

Enhanced knowledge of the enemy at hand. He knew that the invocation of the name Elbereth would wound more in the spirit sense than a mortal knife would affect that without a body. We know from Bree that Strider knows his enemy and has faced them before.

The Breath, and maybe that Frodo was half in the world of spirit already when wounded, wearing the Ring...somewhat divorced, if temporarily, from his body?

It is likely some sort of speech, but only half-heard by the living. I like the shortcut idea, on the merits. Heading for the largest bit of rock...not so much, necessarily. But I see its importance as we posted about last week.

7. Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why? How did finding this stone make you feel? Did the discovery of the green beryl push your mind forward to Bilbo’s Song of Eärendil where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo put in a “green stone”? *Takes a quick sneak-dip into Book II*

When I first read it, it seemed very 'fairie' and magical. I like the air of mystery it lends. I only got the green stone bit after a few reads.

sador
Half-elven

Mar 4 2015, 12:43pm

Post #10 of 22 (4602 views)
Shortcut
Plodding along [In reply to] Can't Post

1. His companions saw only vague dark shapes coming towards them. Did they see the “pale king”?
As we see later on, no.

Why did Frodo call him the “pale king”?
His face, at first just ghostly
Turned a whiter shade of pale.

As the Witch-king was de-cloaked and Frodo had the Ring on did this combination allow him to “see” some physical essence of the enemy that the others were unable to see?
That's what we are supposed to think.

2. After all they have been through, and all that Sam had learned, why would he again have suspicions of Strider?

Instinct. He still is a stanger with no credentials.

It is also possible that Sam thought the Riders turned back because his master fought them heroically, and Strider just led them to a trap. Now of course, this doesn't really make much sense - but not less than quite a few consipracy theories bruited around our world, which supposedly intelligent people believe.

Was it irresponsible of Strider to leave the Hobbits alone at this precarious time?
Did he have a choice? If he was searching for the magic all-saving leaf (and no, I don't mean Longbottom Leaf) - he had to.

"It" means Frodo's sword. It would have perished had it touched the Witch-king. Just like Merry's did.

4. Does it seem strange that Frodo would immediately fall unconscious from a stab in the shoulder?

Now you ask, it probably does.

Was the “Black Breath” involved here, (as it had apparently caused Merry to collapse on the road in Bree)?
No doubt.
I thought so before, but as you point out - it is unlikely that he falls unconscious just from the stab. Perhaps exhaustion, terror and tension also played their parts.

5. Thoughts on Strider’s singing ritual?
Looks like too-obvious magic.

Was this ritual used to degrade the toxicity of the knife-point and enhance the healing power of athelas?
I would guess to dispel any remaining evil in the hilt, so that Strider could take it to Elrond for examination.

Or did athelas simply have a calming essence and a lessening of pain effect, not actual healing?
For sure. But this seems not to be its only virtue.

To a lesser extent, yes - as with the old men in Minas Tirith, who kept it for headaches.

I wonder about that, too. Perhaps in Amon Sul, on the border of ancient Arthedain, he did?
Could this have been a reason for taking the hobbits to Weathertop?

Well, it wasn't made just for being a short cut. And if Strider knows the land well, it should be commendable.

Did two of the Nazgûl see or sense them crossing the road?

Possibly. We are meant to think they did.

What would their cries convey? Do you think they were just coded cries of enlightenment or information (“hoot twice like a barn-owl”) or did they use a form of Black Speech?
"What's for lunch today?"
"Pastrami again. The Forsaken Inn is deserted, and supplies are running short."
"I'm dying for some mutton. Is there any cider?"
"Too early for this time of the year, with no villages around. Only small beer."
"And mutton?"
"Haven't seen a sheep around here for eighty years - since the trolls plundered all."
"Stupid trolls."
"You telling me? I was in charge of the Morannon for a decade. Dumb as doorposts, these fellows are."

7. Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why?
By the way it is worked?
Knowing the Silmarillion, I might guess it was one of the gems made by the Noldor; but considering Gimli's words to Galadriel when asking for a hair, perhaps Tolkien returned to a more mundane explanation of their origins?

How did finding this stone make you feel?
Somebody's in luck today!
(at least, if he gets safely to the nearest pawnbroker or jeweller)

Did the discovery of the green beryl push your mind forward to Bilbo’s Song of Eärendil where Aragorn insisted that Bilbo put in a “green stone”?
That's a very nice connection, which I don't think I've made before.

I was thinking more of Aragorn's later words "not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 4 2015, 2:36pm

Post #11 of 22 (4594 views)
Shortcut
And a Good Morning to you Sador.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Instinct. He still is a stanger with no credentials.

I had always assumed that Gandalf’s letter was credential enough in a couple of ways. Aragorn repeated the words, ”All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost.” without having seen the letter. Then he showed them the broken sword – ”Renewed shall be blade that was broken…”.

I think this was just Sam being the overly cautious Sam. It’s a full-time job!

In Reply To

Did he have a choice? If he was searching for the magic all-saving leaf (and no, I don't mean Longbottom Leaf) - he had to.

This was the first ‘leaving’ – to search the disposition of the Nazgul. He left again to find some athelas. Maybe all this “I’ll be right back!” Cool stirred Sam’s suspicion.

In Reply To

"It" means Frodo's sword. It would have perished had it touched the Witch-king. Just like Merry's did.

Yes, I have been corrected on this by EVERYONE. Now it’s EVERYONE plus ONE. I’m sooo chastised! BlushBlush

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 12:20am

Post #12 of 22 (4557 views)
Shortcut
But since he hasn't got dooky all over him, he has to be a King. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Sure did, except they couldn’t tell he was pale. Or a king.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 5 2015, 12:20am)

sador
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 8:28am

Post #13 of 22 (4525 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read other responses before posting, so I didn't realize this slip has been caught already.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 9:02pm

Post #14 of 22 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Late...again...with some...semi-serious answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

His {Frodo's} companions saw only vague dark shapes coming towards them. Did they see the “pale king”?

I think Jackson got this right, so... no.

Why did Frodo call him the “pale king”? As the Witch-king was de-cloaked and Frodo had the Ring on did this combination allow him to “see” some physical essence of the enemy that the others were unable to see?

As above, yes.

The use of the word 'pale' makes me think of 'death pallor', and the 'pale' lights in the Dead Marshes with the 'sickly' light of Minas Morgul.

After all they have been through, and all that Sam had learned, why would he again have suspicions of Strider?

He's supposed to be in charge. When things go wrong, the leader is the first one to be lynched!

Well, my first instinct is to say that he went to check and secure the perimeter.

You never know when the Nine are really gone...

Does it seem strange that Frodo would immediately fall unconscious from a stab in the shoulder?

Well, it is dramatic...Crazy

More seriously, shock can do bad things to you if untreated, but I think this is more of a dramatic swoon.

Hmm.. maybe... Never thought of that!

Thoughts on Strider’s singing ritual? Was this ritual used to degrade the toxicity of the knife-point and enhance the healing power of athelas?

Everyone has had some good thoughts, but I'll add a bit...

I think that perhaps it was to expose any kind of latent malice in the blade lest it compound the damage over time. Dispellment of evil malice by a sort of 'warding spell' is a common enough thing, as are poisoned weapons of evil.

I think it had healing properties of a sort proposed by Brethil. Perhaps it was only effective as a spiritual healing source? In the end, I think that no plant could save Frodo from such a terrible enemy. Besides... it adds urgency to the tale.

Maybe. But would they know to use it?

Well he had exceptional knowledge, and that might seem like magic when it isn't. I'm looking at you Arthur C. Clarke!

Was this shortcut wise?

Their cover was blown, and now it was an all-or-nothing gamble.

Does this remind you of Pippin’s warning back in SirDennis’ Ch. 4, “Short cuts make long delays.”?

But Strider's 'cuts, short or long, never go wrong.'

I wonder if he meant to rhyme?

Frodo says: '
there were words in that cry, though I could not catch them'.

Strider calls this an “elf-stone” – why? How did finding this stone make you feel?

I thought it was some kind of sign/message or magical barrier for the Nazgul, as well as a token they were close to Rivendell.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 9:03pm

Post #15 of 22 (4497 views)
Shortcut
Awsome thoughts an athelas! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never considered it before!

Though I am wondering... How much of Strider's fear of the Nazgul is inherited from Trotter? Though I'm sure he could have heard of them from Gandalf.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 5 2015, 9:49pm

Post #16 of 22 (4481 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Rem! Hmmm, on Trotter echoes... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I am wondering... How much of Strider's fear of the Nazgul is inherited from Trotter? Though I'm sure he could have heard of them from Gandalf.

Interesting line of thought, because we have that very personal grimace of pain on Strider's face at Bree which sounds more like a brush with them that caused him some sort of injury. We have no other detailing - though then we get a further hint in that the Trollshaws are little-known to Strider; does it relate? A Northern stretch he avoids and a grimace - its would seem the author is hinting at some actual, remembered event.

We know Trotter had significant harm done to him...and I would think that when Strider reached the age of knowledge he would be warned against the Nine rising as Sauron's distant hand to seek him out. So I like your point of inquiry: is the finished product a combination of the wounded Hobbit and the wandering heir of Isildur? Could be, could be. Nice thinking there.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2015, 10:07pm

Post #17 of 22 (4476 views)
Shortcut
Then again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn has been to the Deep South 'where the stars are strange' so he could have come by some obscure knowledge there, as well as the library of Rivendell... Hmm....

Though at first, I do think that it was personal experience, because of that passage you cite.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Mar 6 2015, 1:35am

Post #18 of 22 (4462 views)
Shortcut
The late and great Rem [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I think it had healing properties of a sort proposed by Brethil. Perhaps it was only effective as a spiritual healing source? In the end, I think that no plant could save Frodo from such a terrible enemy. Besides... it adds urgency to the tale.

Maybe. But would they know to use it?

In ROTK Aragorn asks Ioreth for athelas and she doesn’t know what it is. Then Aragorn tells her it may be called kingsfoil and she said they had none and that it had no virtue that she knew of, just smells sweet when bruised.
Even the “herb-master” said it had no virtue beyond sweetening a foul air.
So, to answer my own question, it apparently had no healing powers in the hands of the commoner.

In Reply To

Well he had exceptional knowledge, and that might seem like magic when it isn't. I'm looking at you Arthur C. Clarke!

To again answer my own question: Yes! it had a healing power in the hands of the King to be, (pre-inauguration). One example: I have, maybe, the power to heal her body, and to recall her from the dark valley…”

And you refer to Arthur C. Clarke’s statement Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. In our case it’s “any sufficiently unknown…”. As Galadiel was somewhat surprised that Sam thought her Mirror was magic.

There’s also the question of Elrond’s healing power that I asked in part 4. Here in The Houses of Healing Aragorn says, ’Would that Elrond were here, for he is the eldest of all our race, and has the greater power.’ I also find it interesting that Aragorn uses the words “our race” here.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 2:27pm

Post #19 of 22 (4446 views)
Shortcut
I'm comig to the conclusion that "The Pale King" sounds too much like one of David Bowie's stage personas for it to be a co-incidence [In reply to] Can't Post

...and this proves it, I tell you...

Shout "O, Ale Breath" at him & see if he vanishes with a shriek.

(original ("David") from here http://www.fanpop.com/...3/title/david-fanart

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 2:35pm

Post #20 of 22 (4442 views)
Shortcut
That pic makes ME vanish with a shriek. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Shout "O, Ale Breath" at him & see if he vanishes with a shriek.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 2:49pm

Post #21 of 22 (4433 views)
Shortcut
True, Rem. I like your idea more and more [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aragorn has been to the Deep South 'where the stars are strange' so he could have come by some obscure knowledge there, as well as the library of Rivendell... Hmm....

Though at first, I do think that it was personal experience, because of that passage you cite.

What is amusing is that if you look up 'Trotter' in the Letters index, it says *see Aragorn*. Wink

JRRT describes a real-life incident in Oct. 1944 (#83) at the 'Bird & Baby' (Eagle and Child Laugh) of seeing a bright-eyed man in the corner, listening with intelligent interest to their wordplay. He says, 'it was rather like Trotter at the Prancing Pony...' It strikes me as interesting that the Trotter persona was that real and pervasive to him. So I think the idea that you have, of Trotter concepts carried to Aragorn, may truly hold weight and I think actual physical experience with the Nine and the hand (as it were) of Sauron was part of the transfer.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 6 2015, 3:00pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 6 2015, 2:58pm

Post #22 of 22 (4433 views)
Shortcut
Proper scary, that Pale King [In reply to] Can't Post

Proper scary, that Pale King
His face is a mess
Frodo tore his dress
And he can't get the Ring when he's put to the test...

Nazgul, Nazgul (etc.)

The Pale King's tour of Middle-earth, was, it must be admitted a disaster. Not only was he stabbed during a misunderstanding with the locals whilst filming the video at Weathertop, but there was that unfortunate incident at the Pellenor Fields Festival.

Delighted by the riotous reception he was getting, The Pale King decided to descend into the Pellenor crowd on his most elaborate stage machine yet... But:

"That hauberk-clad chick put its head out of place..."

and it was difficult to get the locals to accept that he was "only dancing".

So the whole thing was hushed up, apart from the clues one can find in various Bowie lyrics....

~~~~~~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.